New Topic Respond to this Topic
Vincoid
Vincoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Animator
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 5th, 2009 @ 04:46 AM Reply

At 1/4/09 09:30 PM, Doopliss0011 wrote: okay, fair nuff, but if everyone was like that, then nothing would be done.
if everyone stopped eating meat, then what would happen?

Oh, I understand what would happen then, I'm just saying that if I were to stop eating meat, it wouldn't change a thing because it's not a big enough influence on the entire market.
Sure, if all people did, it would revolutionize the way we live, but I'm realistic enough to know that that will never happen. I also do not think that it's this idea that keeps people from becoming vegetarians, but that they don't find it necessary anyway to become one.

alternatively, if all vegetarians started eating meat, the market would skyrocket. i'm not being very clear, i know, but my point is that your idea is a bit shortsighted don't you think. but, hey, thats just me and my opinion.

You're being clear enough, I on the other hand wasn't.

"Never was anything great achieved without danger." - Niccolo Machiavelli

BBS Signature
Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 5th, 2009 @ 05:02 AM Reply

At 1/5/09 04:46 AM, Vincoid wrote: Oh, I understand what would happen then, I'm just saying that if I were to stop eating meat, it wouldn't change a thing because it's not a big enough influence on the entire market.

"If I stopped paying human traffickers, it wouldn't make any difference on the overall market, so I'll continue."

It makes a small difference. Your life does not involve these immoral acts. If people eat 1 animal a day then in less than 3 years 1000 animals will not have lived these horrible lives unnecessarily.

Vincoid
Vincoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Animator
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 5th, 2009 @ 05:34 AM Reply

At 1/5/09 05:02 AM, Earfetish wrote:
At 1/5/09 04:46 AM, Vincoid wrote: Oh, I understand what would happen then, I'm just saying that if I were to stop eating meat, it wouldn't change a thing because it's not a big enough influence on the entire market.
"If I stopped paying human traffickers, it wouldn't make any difference on the overall market, so I'll continue."

Good example, though completely useless considering that I don't think there are any benefits to that.

And sure, if it were only this reason that was stopping me from becoming vegetarian, I would've already been convinced and had stopped eating meat.
The combination of all my pros and cons however leave the cons with very little effect on my pros.

It makes a small difference. Your life does not involve these immoral acts. If people eat 1 animal a day then in less than 3 years 1000 animals will not have lived these horrible lives unnecessarily.

That's why I think the animals should be treated better. The slaughtering itself is no problem for me as it is painless, but the way animals are treated right now is wrong.

"Never was anything great achieved without danger." - Niccolo Machiavelli

BBS Signature
Shabbo
Shabbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 5th, 2009 @ 04:34 PM Reply

At 1/4/09 04:41 AM, Sensationalism wrote: I don't know much about meat, so I have a question.

You know like when someone has a piece of uncooked meat in the fridge and there's like a pool of blood around it? Is that blood? And why is it there?

Its mostly sauce and spices ,and yes some blood.
And I have one in my fridge but its not mine.

As I said I live with 3 other people.

BBS Signature
Shabbo
Shabbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 5th, 2009 @ 04:39 PM Reply

At 1/4/09 04:23 AM, Doopliss0011 wrote:
-secondly, the earth is already starving, and it can support something like 5 times its current population if no one ate meat. how about that!

If its animals then, some animals need to die I mean You DO want to stay the dominant species right?

BBS Signature
Shabbo
Shabbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 5th, 2009 @ 04:42 PM Reply

Sorry tripple post.

My inbox has been spammed with 157 pms about our club!

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 6th, 2009 @ 07:45 AM Reply

At 1/5/09 04:42 PM, shabbo wrote:
Sorry tripple post.

!! What?

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
HibiscusKazeneko
HibiscusKazeneko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 6th, 2009 @ 02:28 PM Reply

At 11/23/08 03:35 PM, gamerpeepinpa wrote:
That's another thing. I understand the pain the animals would have to go through during processing, but if these animals were put in the wild, wouldn't being hunted down and torn apart by, say, a pack of wolves hurt just as bad?

How about being hunted down and executed by PETA enforcers? Don't think THAT'll hurt?
Seriously, ever since I saw that "KFC Consumer Warning" ad right here on Newgrounds, I have been scared stiff that PETA or one of their affiliates is going to come after me. My mom is one of those hyperconservative Bible-belt rednecks whose father raised cattle a long time ago and she believes all your causes are moot, so I'm caught between the biggest rock and hard place on Earth. I'd join you not because I want to, but because I fear what will happen to me if I don't.

I maek lolz. I play Steam. I fight for genital integrity.
Anything else you need?

BBS Signature
D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 6th, 2009 @ 06:50 PM Reply

At 1/6/09 02:28 PM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote: How about being hunted down... if I don't.

Take your ad hominem attacks elsewhere. PETA isn't going to kill you for eating meat.

Unlimited-Access
Unlimited-Access
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 7th, 2009 @ 02:00 AM Reply

After reading through this, and seeing all the self-righteous fucks arguing against the genuinely curious folk, I must say.....

....This sure sounds like NG alright. Good to see some shit never changes.

Doopliss0011
Doopliss0011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 7th, 2009 @ 03:42 AM Reply

At 1/7/09 02:00 AM, Unlimited-Access wrote: After reading through this, and seeing all the self-righteous fucks arguing against the genuinely curious folk, I must say.....

Hear, hear! i so totally agree. i mean, over 100 pages of arguments.

I AM THE ULTIMATE OVERLORD, RULING AS THE WORLD'S MOST SUPREME BEING!!

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 7th, 2009 @ 05:26 PM Reply

I was walking through the grocery store today and some soy pudding caught my eye. I didn't buy it but I think I might end up trying it. I was never a big fan of pudding, but I do think it would be interesting to try. I'm checking out their website.

Also, I went to the garden and to the zoo today. That was a lot of fun!!! I felt all connected to the plants and animals!

To that dude who said being vegetarian doesn't do anything, wtf? Vegetarians save hundreds of animals every year. If we had no effect on anything, there wouldn't be so many available vegetarian products. Because of us, there's less business for meat companies and more business for companies like cuties and silk!

At 1/6/09 02:28 PM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote: How about being hunted down and executed by PETA enforcers? Don't think THAT'll hurt?
Seriously, ever since I saw that "KFC Consumer Warning" ad right here on Newgrounds, I have been scared stiff that PETA or one of their affiliates is going to come after me. My mom is one of those hyperconservative Bible-belt rednecks whose father raised cattle a long time ago and she believes all your causes are moot, so I'm caught between the biggest rock and hard place on Earth. I'd join you not because I want to, but because I fear what will happen to me if I don't.

I have no idea what you said, but I don't think I like it.

At 1/7/09 02:00 AM, Unlimited-Access wrote: After reading through this, and seeing all the self-righteous fucks arguing against the genuinely curious folk, I must say.....

You must not be very good at reading or comprehension if that's what you got out of this club. This is not a place for arguments. We're friendly, peaceful people. There's been a little arguing because of the way people presented their posts but no attacks. It's pretty tame considered the way meat eaters usually act toward vegetarians. oh my god you guys think you're so great and better than everyone well fuck you im going to eat twice as many burgers now, sucker!!!

Some people are genuinely curious and others and just looking for an argument. It's clear which of those people you are. If you're going to be a dick, then get the hell out. Otherwise stay and be civil. Coming into a club and calling the members "self righteous fucks" isn't a very good approach.

Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Shabbo
Shabbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 7th, 2009 @ 05:43 PM Reply

At 1/6/09 07:45 AM, Sensationalism wrote:
Sorry tripple post.
!! What?

People cursing me and threatining to kill and perma ban me.
They are all 09 users and 08 users.

BBS Signature
Shabbo
Shabbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 7th, 2009 @ 05:45 PM Reply

At 1/7/09 05:43 PM, shabbo wrote:
Sorry tripple post.
!! What?
People cursing at me and threatining to kill and perma ban me.

Fixed.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 7th, 2009 @ 06:14 PM Reply

At 1/7/09 05:45 PM, shabbo wrote:
At 1/7/09 05:43 PM, shabbo wrote:
Sorry tripple post.
!! What?
Fixed.

Wow, I've only ever gotten like one pm for being vegan. Sounds sucky. How the fuck would they perma-ban you? lol. Well, have fun dealing with stupid immature idiots.

BBS Signature
Unlimited-Access
Unlimited-Access
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 7th, 2009 @ 11:50 PM Reply

At 1/7/09 05:26 PM, Sensationalism wrote: You must not be very good at reading or comprehension if that's what you got out of this club. This is not a place for arguments.

Is there at least some discussion that isn't so horribly one-sided?

Some people are genuinely curious and others and just looking for an argument. It's clear which of those people you are.
If you're going to be a dick, then get the hell out. Otherwise stay and be civil. Coming into a club and calling the members "self righteous fucks" isn't a very good approach.

I didn't say all of you were. Just a select few that I see frequenting.

Really, looking through this is just so I can see what a vegetarian/vegan community looks like along with the guise of anonymity, instead of them being directly in your face. You know, to see if the things said would be any different.

Eh....I can't even figure out what I mean by that.

D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 8th, 2009 @ 12:06 AM Reply

At 1/7/09 11:50 PM, Unlimited-Access wrote: Is there at least some discussion that isn't so horribly one-sided?

That's like telling a hip-hop radio station to play metal. Their purpose is to play hip-hop. Our purpose is to have a place where vegetarians and vegans can talk about their diets, ideally in peace. We shouldn't have to be fair to omnivores if none of our members are omnivores.

Honestly, the only reasons vegetarians are dicks is because people push us so much. With the exception of militant veggies, we just want to be left alone.

Really, looking through this is just so I can see what a vegetarian/vegan community looks like along with the guise of anonymity, instead of them being directly in your face. You know, to see if the things said would be any different.

The only reason we push is because we get shoved. We get tons of shit just because we don't eat meat, and frankly, the prejudice is absurd and obnoxious. A vegetarian/vegan community would be very different if we had no interlopers questioning our motives and prodding about in our midst.

kittenclock
kittenclock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 8th, 2009 @ 12:08 AM Reply

Sorry tripple post.
!! What?
Fixed.

Nobody spam's me for some odd reason...

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 8th, 2009 @ 11:25 AM Reply

At 1/8/09 12:06 AM, D3NTATUS wrote:
At 1/7/09 11:50 PM, Unlimited-Access wrote: Is there at least some discussion that isn't so horribly one-sided?
That's like telling a hip-hop radio station to play metal. Their purpose is to play hip-hop. Our purpose is to have a place where vegetarians and vegans can talk about their diets, ideally in peace. We shouldn't have to be fair to omnivores if none of our members are omnivores.

Honestly, the only reasons vegetarians are dicks is because people push us so much. With the exception of militant veggies, we just want to be left alone.

The only reason we push is because we get shoved. We get tons of shit just because we don't eat meat, and frankly, the prejudice is absurd and obnoxious. A vegetarian/vegan community would be very different if we had no interlopers questioning our motives and prodding about in our midst.

QFT. I was going to respond, but D3ntatus said everything so perfectly.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 06:59 PM Reply

Anyone else love Clif Bars?

I just recently bought some again and remembered why I loved them in the first place!!!

BBS Signature
Neptunus
Neptunus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 07:31 PM Reply

At 1/9/09 06:59 PM, Sensationalism wrote: Anyone else love Clif Bars?

I just recently bought some again and remembered why I loved them in the first place!!!

They're not available here in Iceland, to my knowledge.
I'm so sick of this place.

I wish I lived somewhere where I could buy fresh produce in bulk, or even grow my own.
Note to veg*ns here: Stay away from the miserable rock called Iceland. Stay far away.

I guess I'm bitter, having gotten a taste of other countries in the past. Man. Affordable [i]and[/i] delicious food? It's too good to be true.

[/whine]

Sorry for that. I always get sentimental at 00:30. It must be my overall vitamin and mineral deficiencies. *grins*

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 10th, 2009 @ 04:47 PM Reply

At 1/9/09 07:31 PM, Neptunus wrote:
At 1/9/09 06:59 PM, Sensationalism wrote: Anyone else love Clif Bars?

They're not available here in Iceland, to my knowledge.
I'm so sick of this place.

I wish I lived somewhere where I could buy fresh produce in bulk, or even grow my own.
Note to veg*ns here: Stay away from the miserable rock called Iceland. Stay far away.

I guess I'm bitter, having gotten a taste of other countries in the past. Man. Affordable [i]and[/i] delicious food? It's too good to be true.

[/whine]

Sorry for that. I always get sentimental at 00:30. It must be my overall vitamin and mineral deficiencies. *grins*

That does sound like shit. You plan on moving away eventually, or living there forever?

I'd never even try to live in a place with "ice" in its name.

BBS Signature
Neptunus
Neptunus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 11th, 2009 @ 06:48 AM Reply

At 1/10/09 04:47 PM, Sensationalism wrote: That does sound like shit. You plan on moving away eventually, or living there forever?

I'm going to try to move away as soon as I can. With the economy failing all over the world, though, it's hard to say where I'll end up. These are strange times.

I'd never even try to live in a place with "ice" in its name.

It does seem a bit silly when you think of it that way.

At 1/10/09 06:08 PM, Ejit wrote: Sup bros, didn't know this existed 'til i saw it in Sensationalism's sig, vegan here.

Welcome! Great to see increasing amounts of vegans here.

What do you guys like to talk about then? Tofu? Nuts? Salad bars? People I tell I'm a vegan almost always try to strike up a conversation on one of those topics, they think they're like crack.

From what I've seen (I'm a newcomer to these parts, too), we just talk about anything veg*nism related, defend our views when trolls arrive and chatter aimlessly in between. :]

Neptunus
Neptunus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 12th, 2009 @ 11:17 AM Reply

At 1/11/09 01:27 PM, Ejit wrote: For those of you that are veg*an for animal welfare reasons, what's your opinion on that?

I'm more fond of the idea of supporting organic farmers.
I don't like the idea of eating meat to support more ethical killing, because I'm against unnecessary killing either way.

Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 12th, 2009 @ 11:43 AM Reply

I'm not sure whether it's best to abstain from meat altogether or to support free range farming. But tbh the whole idea seems unappealing to me - if I ever want to eat meat I'm gonna catch the fucking animal myself, what kind of pussy do you take me for, etc

I buy free range eggs and milk so I'm kinda supporting the industry. I suppose I'm trying to have the best of both worlds.

My mum eats meat but she also has chickens in the back garden whose eggs she eats. She buys eggs in the store tho because those chickens aren't exceptional layers. Nice to have chickens tho, they've got character.

master111222
master111222
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 12th, 2009 @ 11:48 AM Reply

its nice topic

Neptunus
Neptunus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 12th, 2009 @ 01:37 PM Reply

At 1/12/09 11:43 AM, Earfetish wrote: if I ever want to eat meat I'm gonna catch the fucking animal myself, what kind of pussy do you take me for, etc

This I agree with completely. I think people should be able to kill the animals they eat themselves, and prepare them from scratch, too. This is my opinion on all food, really, which is why I'm shying away from pre-packaged food more and more, opting instead for raw, basic stuff.
Besides, both growing plants and cooking is fun.
As soon as I can obtain a garden in a country that's not quite as shitty as Iceland, I intend to set up my own food-production. Home-grown veggies = <3

Neptunus
Neptunus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 13th, 2009 @ 07:18 AM Reply

At 1/12/09 02:57 PM, Ejit wrote: But if people were able to kill the animals they eat animal welfare would be completely disregarded by a lot of people and inhumane traps and methods of killing would be used e.g. beartraps and potshots.
There would be less animals killed and less meat wasted though.

That's a good point, but I think the trade-off would be worth it. People who use horrific traps like those won't care about factory farm conditions either, I think.
I think it would be a step in the right direction, better moral codes come later. ;]

I'm going to Iceland next month :).

I hope you like cold weather, February is about as cold as it gets here. Either that, or March. I don't remember. I can point you in the direction of a few good restaurants/cafes here if you want. : ]

Shabbo
Shabbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 13th, 2009 @ 09:44 PM Reply

Sorry ive neen gone, somone recently died in my family, so ive been trying to forget by play TES IV.
But im back.

BBS Signature
D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 13th, 2009 @ 09:49 PM Reply

At 1/13/09 09:44 PM, shabbo wrote: Sorry ive neen gone, somone recently died in my family,

Aw man, I'm sorry. We're here for you.

so ive been trying to forget by play TES IV.

Good game. I'm more of a morrowind guy myself, ha ha ha. (there's less meat in morrowind, too!)