00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Vegetarian Community

51,805 Views | 563 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-06 14:28:13

At 11/23/08 03:35 PM, gamerpeepinpa wrote:
That's another thing. I understand the pain the animals would have to go through during processing, but if these animals were put in the wild, wouldn't being hunted down and torn apart by, say, a pack of wolves hurt just as bad?

How about being hunted down and executed by PETA enforcers? Don't think THAT'll hurt?
Seriously, ever since I saw that "KFC Consumer Warning" ad right here on Newgrounds, I have been scared stiff that PETA or one of their affiliates is going to come after me. My mom is one of those hyperconservative Bible-belt rednecks whose father raised cattle a long time ago and she believes all your causes are moot, so I'm caught between the biggest rock and hard place on Earth. I'd join you not because I want to, but because I fear what will happen to me if I don't.

I maek lolz. I play Steam. I fight for genital integrity.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-06 18:50:19

At 1/6/09 02:28 PM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote: How about being hunted down... if I don't.

Take your ad hominem attacks elsewhere. PETA isn't going to kill you for eating meat.

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-07 02:00:51

After reading through this, and seeing all the self-righteous fucks arguing against the genuinely curious folk, I must say.....

....This sure sounds like NG alright. Good to see some shit never changes.

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-07 03:42:38

At 1/7/09 02:00 AM, Unlimited-Access wrote: After reading through this, and seeing all the self-righteous fucks arguing against the genuinely curious folk, I must say.....

....This sure sounds like NG alright. Good to see some shit never changes.

Hear, hear! i so totally agree. i mean, over 100 pages of arguments.

I AM THE ULTIMATE OVERLORD, RULING AS THE WORLD'S MOST SUPREME BEING!!

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-07 17:43:16

At 1/6/09 07:45 AM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 1/5/09 04:42 PM, shabbo wrote:
Sorry tripple post.
My inbox has been spammed with 157 pms about our club!
!! What?

People cursing me and threatining to kill and perma ban me.
They are all 09 users and 08 users.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-07 17:45:09

At 1/7/09 05:43 PM, shabbo wrote:
At 1/6/09 07:45 AM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 1/5/09 04:42 PM, shabbo wrote:
Sorry tripple post.
!! What?
People cursing at me and threatining to kill and perma ban me.

Fixed.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-07 23:50:06

At 1/7/09 05:26 PM, Sensationalism wrote: You must not be very good at reading or comprehension if that's what you got out of this club. This is not a place for arguments.

Is there at least some discussion that isn't so horribly one-sided?

Some people are genuinely curious and others and just looking for an argument. It's clear which of those people you are.
If you're going to be a dick, then get the hell out. Otherwise stay and be civil. Coming into a club and calling the members "self righteous fucks" isn't a very good approach.

I didn't say all of you were. Just a select few that I see frequenting.

Really, looking through this is just so I can see what a vegetarian/vegan community looks like along with the guise of anonymity, instead of them being directly in your face. You know, to see if the things said would be any different.

Eh....I can't even figure out what I mean by that.

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-08 00:06:47

At 1/7/09 11:50 PM, Unlimited-Access wrote: Is there at least some discussion that isn't so horribly one-sided?

That's like telling a hip-hop radio station to play metal. Their purpose is to play hip-hop. Our purpose is to have a place where vegetarians and vegans can talk about their diets, ideally in peace. We shouldn't have to be fair to omnivores if none of our members are omnivores.

I didn't say all of you were. Just a select few that I see frequenting.

Honestly, the only reasons vegetarians are dicks is because people push us so much. With the exception of militant veggies, we just want to be left alone.

Really, looking through this is just so I can see what a vegetarian/vegan community looks like along with the guise of anonymity, instead of them being directly in your face. You know, to see if the things said would be any different.

The only reason we push is because we get shoved. We get tons of shit just because we don't eat meat, and frankly, the prejudice is absurd and obnoxious. A vegetarian/vegan community would be very different if we had no interlopers questioning our motives and prodding about in our midst.

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-08 00:08:03

Sorry tripple post.
!! What?
People cursing at me and threatining to kill and perma ban me.
Fixed.

Nobody spam's me for some odd reason...

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-09 19:31:31

At 1/9/09 06:59 PM, Sensationalism wrote: Anyone else love Clif Bars?

I just recently bought some again and remembered why I loved them in the first place!!!

They're not available here in Iceland, to my knowledge.
I'm so sick of this place.

I wish I lived somewhere where I could buy fresh produce in bulk, or even grow my own.
Note to veg*ns here: Stay away from the miserable rock called Iceland. Stay far away.

I guess I'm bitter, having gotten a taste of other countries in the past. Man. Affordable [i]and[/i] delicious food? It's too good to be true.

[/whine]

Sorry for that. I always get sentimental at 00:30. It must be my overall vitamin and mineral deficiencies. *grins*

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-11 06:48:51

At 1/10/09 04:47 PM, Sensationalism wrote: That does sound like shit. You plan on moving away eventually, or living there forever?

I'm going to try to move away as soon as I can. With the economy failing all over the world, though, it's hard to say where I'll end up. These are strange times.

I'd never even try to live in a place with "ice" in its name.

It does seem a bit silly when you think of it that way.

At 1/10/09 06:08 PM, Ejit wrote: Sup bros, didn't know this existed 'til i saw it in Sensationalism's sig, vegan here.

Welcome! Great to see increasing amounts of vegans here.

What do you guys like to talk about then? Tofu? Nuts? Salad bars? People I tell I'm a vegan almost always try to strike up a conversation on one of those topics, they think they're like crack.

From what I've seen (I'm a newcomer to these parts, too), we just talk about anything veg*nism related, defend our views when trolls arrive and chatter aimlessly in between. :]

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-12 11:17:12

At 1/11/09 01:27 PM, Ejit wrote: For those of you that are veg*an for animal welfare reasons, what's your opinion on that?

I'm more fond of the idea of supporting organic farmers.
I don't like the idea of eating meat to support more ethical killing, because I'm against unnecessary killing either way.

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-12 11:43:29

I'm not sure whether it's best to abstain from meat altogether or to support free range farming. But tbh the whole idea seems unappealing to me - if I ever want to eat meat I'm gonna catch the fucking animal myself, what kind of pussy do you take me for, etc

I buy free range eggs and milk so I'm kinda supporting the industry. I suppose I'm trying to have the best of both worlds.

My mum eats meat but she also has chickens in the back garden whose eggs she eats. She buys eggs in the store tho because those chickens aren't exceptional layers. Nice to have chickens tho, they've got character.

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-12 11:48:10

its nice topic

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-12 13:37:41

At 1/12/09 11:43 AM, Earfetish wrote: if I ever want to eat meat I'm gonna catch the fucking animal myself, what kind of pussy do you take me for, etc

This I agree with completely. I think people should be able to kill the animals they eat themselves, and prepare them from scratch, too. This is my opinion on all food, really, which is why I'm shying away from pre-packaged food more and more, opting instead for raw, basic stuff.
Besides, both growing plants and cooking is fun.
As soon as I can obtain a garden in a country that's not quite as shitty as Iceland, I intend to set up my own food-production. Home-grown veggies = <3

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-13 07:18:58

At 1/12/09 02:57 PM, Ejit wrote: But if people were able to kill the animals they eat animal welfare would be completely disregarded by a lot of people and inhumane traps and methods of killing would be used e.g. beartraps and potshots.
There would be less animals killed and less meat wasted though.

That's a good point, but I think the trade-off would be worth it. People who use horrific traps like those won't care about factory farm conditions either, I think.
I think it would be a step in the right direction, better moral codes come later. ;]

I'm going to Iceland next month :).

I hope you like cold weather, February is about as cold as it gets here. Either that, or March. I don't remember. I can point you in the direction of a few good restaurants/cafes here if you want. : ]

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-13 21:44:23

Sorry ive neen gone, somone recently died in my family, so ive been trying to forget by play TES IV.
But im back.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-13 21:49:14

At 1/13/09 09:44 PM, shabbo wrote: Sorry ive neen gone, somone recently died in my family,

Aw man, I'm sorry. We're here for you.

so ive been trying to forget by play TES IV.

Good game. I'm more of a morrowind guy myself, ha ha ha. (there's less meat in morrowind, too!)

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-13 21:51:10

At 1/13/09 09:44 PM, shabbo wrote: Sorry ive neen gone, somone recently died in my family, so ive been trying to forget by play TES IV.
But im back

That's very javascript:MakeSmileySelection(18); sad. I wont be online these boards until I have a valid vegetarian thing to talk about.

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-14 07:44:36

Woo, didn't know this place existed, would like to join, if possible.
I eat seafood so I'm not entirely vegetarian, hope that doesn't matter too much, I haven't eaten other animal meat the last 17 years.

Reasons why: It's uneconomical, growing animals takes up much more energy than growing plants. It's unneeded, in ancient days we ate anything we could to survive, now it's a matter of choice. It's unethical, animals are so cute/cuddly/fluffy/inteligent/enterother killpreventingpersonalityhere. Also, it's healthier, lack of meaty diet throws immune system to higher heights than ever before, reduces risks of cancer/other stuff and so on. Hmm, so Hello People!

The latest: Hexa #95 (Mar)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-14 08:41:17

I feel trapping is a step in the right direction. People would start acting badly but there'd surely be a large market demand for humane traps, which wouldn't be hard to make and would probably make your meat better / fresher

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-14 09:37:55

quite a good bunch of veggies here, I wouldn't have even noticed

we can orchestrate thread responses and the like too

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-14 10:40:06

At 1/14/09 09:11 AM, Ejit wrote: Haha, cool, any chance of being able to see northern lights?

Yeah, definitely. I haven't seen 'em for a while, but there's a definite chance.

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-14 16:37:37

I know I couldn't be qualified for joining by now, but I have a question for whomever could answer.

What would you say would be a well-balanced vegetarian diet?

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-14 17:47:44

At 1/14/09 01:10 PM, Sensationalism wrote: Yeah, pescetarians are welcome. I believe you would be our second. Gagsy was the first of her kind to join.

NIce to see I'm unique, and thanks for the warm welcome.

Bambi totally bothered me. so much so I never watched it again until years later when I forgot why, watched it, remembered, never to watch again lol.

Heh, still haven't seen that movie, I suppose I should do sometime . . .

The latest: Hexa #95 (Mar)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-14 19:49:03

At 1/14/09 04:37 PM, Unlimited-Access wrote: I know I couldn't be qualified for joining by now, but I have a question for whomever could answer.

What would you say would be a well-balanced vegetarian diet?

wait whoah, a mature question in the vegetarian club? inconceivable!

Rather than try to explain my diet, here's a food pyramid. If you'd like specifics, here's my normal/ideal daily meal:

Cereal and/or waffles and/or some eggs and milk for breakfast, with a banana.
Cheese pizza or something along those lines for lunch. I'm usually on my own for lunch, so I scavenge.
Just about anything, really, without meat for dinner. Common substitutes I use for meat are soy products, beans of some sort, lentils, peanut butter (PB&J sandwiches are vegan, by the way), or eggs/cheese. I'm not a strict vegetarian, i.e. i eat eggs and dairy, so my diet isn't that much different. A lot of people find that they eat a vegetarian meal or two without thinking about it.

And if you're curious about vegan diets, vegan food pyramid! And I'm sure Sens will be more than happy to discuss her diet and cooking habits. Vegan baking, by the way, is really good. I baked some vegan lemon cupcakes with one of my best friends, Lily (who is vegan), and they turned out really well.

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-14 21:58:52

you are all a bunch of faggots....except ear-fetish

Martha Wasington was a hip, hip, hip lady, man-Slater

Best Club Ever

BBS Signature

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-14 22:51:43

At 1/14/09 09:58 PM, Sportsboy wrote: you are all a bunch of faggots....except ear-fetish

and you're a heterosexist.

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-14 23:10:27

At 1/13/09 09:49 PM, D3NTATUS wrote:
Good game. I'm more of a morrowind guy myself, ha ha ha. (there's less meat in morrowind, too!)

When my GF left my she took Morrowind with her :P.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-16 02:51:51

At 1/14/09 09:58 PM, Sportsboy wrote: you are all a bunch of faggots....except ear-fetish

This guy might be right, you guys. Maybe we're all actually homosexual! : O

Man, you learn something new every day.