Support NATA 2014

NG Vegetarian Community

  • 32,069 Views
  • 777 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Dec. 29th, 2008 @ 02:41 PM Reply

At 12/29/08 02:24 PM, shabbo wrote: Why are you sorry? But thanks for being so nice :).

fine, replace "i'm sorry" with "my condolences."

but you're welcome.

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Member since: Jul. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Dec. 29th, 2008 @ 02:44 PM Reply

Why do people go vegetarian? The taste of meat? The thought about eating innocent animals? Some other reason?

Honestly when I look at a cow or a pig, I usually feel sorry for it and I'm sometimes sad because I know it will get slaughtered so it could get eaten, but when I'm actually eating the meat, I don't think that it came from a living thing.

D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Dec. 29th, 2008 @ 02:46 PM Reply

At 12/29/08 02:44 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Why do people go vegetarian? The taste of meat? The thought about eating innocent animals? Some other reason?

1. Animal rights
2. Moral aversion to the consumption of animals and the causing of suffering
3. Environmental reasons
4. Anti-capitalism
5. Health reasons
6. Taste of meat.
7. Religious reasons
8. It's cheaper
9. There's more, I'm just lazy :P

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Dec. 30th, 2008 @ 07:44 PM Reply

At 12/29/08 02:44 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Why do people go vegetarian? The taste of meat? The thought about eating innocent animals? Some other reason?

Honestly when I look at a cow or a pig, I usually feel sorry for it and I'm sometimes sad because I know it will get slaughtered so it could get eaten, but when I'm actually eating the meat, I don't think that it came from a living thing.

I'm no longer able to look at a piece of meat and separate it from the animal it came from and the process it went through to end up where it is now. It just amazes how disconnected a burger or a piece of sausage is to the animal it once was and the pain and suffering it went through. You need that ignorance and that ability to overlook it in order to be able to eat it I think.

There are many reasons for going vegetarian. D3ntatus listed quite a few which should at least answer your question.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
kittenclock
kittenclock
  • Member since: Aug. 14, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Dec. 30th, 2008 @ 08:27 PM Reply

At 12/30/08 07:44 PM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 12/29/08 02:44 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Why do people go vegetarian? The taste of meat? The thought about eating innocent animals? Some other reason?

Honestly when I look at a cow or a pig, I usually feel sorry for it and I'm sometimes sad because I know it will get slaughtered so it could get eaten, but when I'm actually eating the meat, I don't think that it came from a living thing.

Now it's time for me to play the good cop... Oh wait how can I be good cop when Sensationalism wasn't being a jerk... I know: we don't like BAD BAD meat because we think it's gross.


.

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Dec. 30th, 2008 @ 10:11 PM Reply

At 12/30/08 08:27 PM, kittenclock wrote: Now it's time for me to play the good cop... Oh wait how can I be good cop when Sensationalism wasn't being a jerk... I know: we don't like BAD BAD meat because we think it's gross.

Haha, sorry. Not in a pissy mood today.

Meat is SO gross!


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Shabbo
Shabbo
  • Member since: Jun. 16, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Musician
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 04:00 PM Reply

At 12/30/08 10:11 PM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 12/30/08 08:27 PM, kittenclock wrote: Now it's time for me to play the good cop... Oh wait how can I be good cop when Sensationalism wasn't being a jerk... I know: we don't like BAD BAD meat because we think it's gross.
Haha, sorry. Not in a pissy mood today.

Meat is SO gross!

Just give up the good cop bad cop thing.


BBS Signature
kittenclock
kittenclock
  • Member since: Aug. 14, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 04:06 PM Reply

At 12/31/08 04:00 PM, shabbo wrote:

:: Just give up the good cop bad cop thing.

YES SIR!


.

Shabbo
Shabbo
  • Member since: Jun. 16, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Musician
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 05:41 PM Reply

At 12/31/08 04:06 PM, kittenclock wrote:
At 12/31/08 04:00 PM, shabbo wrote:
Just give up the good cop bad cop thing.
YES SIR!

And the yes sir thing.


BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 07:45 PM Reply

At 12/31/08 05:41 PM, shabbo wrote:
At 12/31/08 04:06 PM, kittenclock wrote:
At 12/31/08 04:00 PM, shabbo wrote:
Just give up the good cop bad cop thing.
YES SIR!
And the yes sir thing.

MEOW!


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
AntiangelicAngel
AntiangelicAngel
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 09:03 PM Reply

I've been a vegetarian since I was 7, and became a vegan my junior year of high school (I'm a college senior now). However, I recently quit veganism because I realized it was likely doing more harm than good in my food-based politics. Largely, I came to the realization that eating the college cafeteria's non-vegan but vegetarian option would demonstrate a need for vegetarian food, whereas eating simply vegan foods in the soup, sandwich, and salad bars was not making clear that there was a demand for vegetarian food. So recently, I've been eating cheese and cream sauce and so on, in order to eat the vegetarian entrees. Can I get some feedback from the vegetarian crowd, was this the right way to go?

kittenclock
kittenclock
  • Member since: Aug. 14, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 09:10 PM Reply

At 12/31/08 09:03 PM, AntiangelicAngel wrote: I've been eating cheese and cream sauce and so on, in order to eat the vegetarian entrees. Can I get some feedback from the vegetarian crowd, was this the right way to go?

Yep, at least I think so, you could ask for tofu versions of foods with meat. Which gives them a reason to buy tofu, and support vegetarian's.


.

D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 09:23 PM Reply

At 12/31/08 09:03 PM, AntiangelicAngel wrote: I've been a vegetarian since I was 7, and became a vegan my junior year of high school (I'm a college senior now). However, I recently quit veganism because I realized it was likely doing more harm than good in my food-based politics. Largely, I came to the realization that eating the college cafeteria's non-vegan but vegetarian option would demonstrate a need for vegetarian food, whereas eating simply vegan foods in the soup, sandwich, and salad bars was not making clear that there was a demand for vegetarian food. So recently, I've been eating cheese and cream sauce and so on, in order to eat the vegetarian entrees. Can I get some feedback from the vegetarian crowd, was this the right way to go?

It depends on your reasoning behind your vegetarianism. If you compromised your ideals behind your veganism to go vegetarian again, not cool. But if you believe it's for the greater good, more power to you. As long as you're not eating meat!

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 1st, 2009 @ 12:01 AM Reply

At 12/31/08 09:03 PM, AntiangelicAngel wrote: I've been a vegetarian since I was 7, and became a vegan my junior year of high school (I'm a college senior now). However, I recently quit veganism because I realized it was likely doing more harm than good in my food-based politics. Largely, I came to the realization that eating the college cafeteria's non-vegan but vegetarian option would demonstrate a need for vegetarian food, whereas eating simply vegan foods in the soup, sandwich, and salad bars was not making clear that there was a demand for vegetarian food. So recently, I've been eating cheese and cream sauce and so on, in order to eat the vegetarian entrees. Can I get some feedback from the vegetarian crowd, was this the right way to go?

I don't get how eating cheese shows the need for vegetarian foods unless they don't have any better options. If that's the case then continue eating as you are and think about trying to raise awareness to your cause so that vegans will have more options as well.

Also, based on your reasoning for eating the cheese and cream, I assume you will resume your veganism once you are done with school?


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 2nd, 2009 @ 02:55 AM Reply

So, my brother's done with his being vegetarian for a week thing that he did for extra credit.

He's such a jerk though. He's all like "I'm glad I'm done being a faggot" and "That was the worst week of my life."

Pisses me off. I guess it's hard to eat meat and not be an ignorant fuck.

/rant


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Shabbo
Shabbo
  • Member since: Jun. 16, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Musician
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 2nd, 2009 @ 08:11 PM Reply

Your brothers a deek.


BBS Signature
Mich
Mich
  • Member since: Jan. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Musician
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 2nd, 2009 @ 08:28 PM Reply

Just got back from England. only related thing to this club I can say about it is that my girlfriend is now vegetarian. Because she wants to, not because I am :)
Yay!

We had a great time btw ^_^
Dragonberry
Dragonberry
  • Member since: Aug. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 3rd, 2009 @ 01:14 AM Reply

me being a vegetarian < 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000001 picoseconds

kittenclock
kittenclock
  • Member since: Aug. 14, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 3rd, 2009 @ 02:18 AM Reply

At 1/2/09 08:11 PM, shabbo wrote: Your brothers a deek.

Agreed. does he eat non organic meat? Because that's probably why he is being a jerk, due to the hormones they put in.


.

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 4th, 2009 @ 12:29 AM Reply

At 1/2/09 08:28 PM, MICHhimself wrote: Just got back from England. only related thing to this club I can say about it is that my girlfriend is now vegetarian. Because she wants to, not because I am :)
Yay!
We had a great time btw ^_^

Ha, awesome!

At 1/3/09 01:14 AM, Dragonberry wrote: me being a vegetarian < 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000001 picoseconds

What??

I seriously don't get it...

At 1/3/09 02:18 AM, kittenclock wrote:
At 1/2/09 08:11 PM, shabbo wrote: Your brother's a deek.
Agreed. does he eat non organic meat? Because that's probably why he is being a jerk, due to the hormones they put in.

Right, he doesn't eat organic meat. It's also probably the reason for his terrible acne all over the place and his bitchiness. He acts like a pms-ing girl half the time. It sucks.

Yeah, it's crazy though how many hormones are pumped into those animals and it leaking out into the meat that's eaten and the milk that's drunk.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Member since: Oct. 21, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 4th, 2009 @ 12:51 AM Reply

My buddy has become a vegan for New Years. I had some vegan chocolate and it wasn't half bad; tasted like advent calendar chocolate, not especially creamy. But he lives slap bang in the immigrant district and there are loads of little shops selling all sorts of stuff so he can easily make his own food from scratch. Seems like a wee bit too much effort but I'll observe him and see how he does.

kittenclock
kittenclock
  • Member since: Aug. 14, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 4th, 2009 @ 01:09 AM Reply

At 1/4/09 12:51 AM, Earfetish wrote: My buddy has become a vegan for New Years.

Tell him that the Newground's vegetarian crew strongly supports his choice. (Wait we support it, right?)


.

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 4th, 2009 @ 01:54 AM Reply

At 1/4/09 01:09 AM, kittenclock wrote:
At 1/4/09 12:51 AM, Earfetish wrote: My buddy has become a vegan for New Years.
Tell him that the Newground's vegetarian crew strongly supports his choice. (Wait we support it, right?)

Why would we not?


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Doopliss0011
Doopliss0011
  • Member since: Jan. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 4th, 2009 @ 04:23 AM Reply

al right i have just reached the 6 month hurdle today. HURRAH'S!!! okay my reasons

-Look, your eating something that was walking around, alive and happy, then it was killed, cut up into little peices and heated with blood still coming out, then you place that animal between your teeth and let it slide down your throat. (sorry if im getting anyone sick) my point is, its barbaric.

-secondly, the earth is already starving, and it can support something like 5 times its current population if no one ate meat. how about that!

-thirdly, its sort of in protest against these adds that have been on my tv about six months ago. it basicly said that you had to eat meat to grow up healthy. (the slogan was "Red meat: You were meant to eat it") disgusting.

i think thats about it. oh, by the way, you wanna eat meat and be a barbarian, be my guest. but think about what your eating.


I AM THE ULTIMATE OVERLORD, RULING AS THE WORLD'S MOST SUPREME BEING!!

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 4th, 2009 @ 04:41 AM Reply

I don't know much about meat, so I have a question.

You know like when someone has a piece of uncooked meat in the fridge and there's like a pool of blood around it? Is that blood? And why is it there?


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Mich
Mich
  • Member since: Jan. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Musician
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 4th, 2009 @ 07:37 AM Reply

At 1/4/09 12:29 AM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 1/3/09 01:14 AM, Dragonberry wrote: me being a vegetarian < 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000001 picoseconds
What??

I seriously don't get it...

I think he just means he's been a vegetarian for that amount of time. Then gave up or something.

Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Member since: Oct. 21, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 4th, 2009 @ 07:39 AM Reply

At 12/29/08 02:44 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Why do people go vegetarian? The taste of meat? The thought about eating innocent animals? Some other reason?
Honestly when I look at a cow or a pig, I usually feel sorry for it and I'm sometimes sad because I know it will get slaughtered so it could get eaten, but when I'm actually eating the meat, I don't think that it came from a living thing.

Isn't it odd that you answered your own question? We're not in denial about how meat comes from living things, and by your own admission, you are!

Vincoid
Vincoid
  • Member since: Feb. 9, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Animator
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 4th, 2009 @ 02:20 PM Reply

Hey guys, what's up?

I'm a meat eater lurking around in your crew a bit to get a feel for what motivates you. I've always been able to understand why people become vegetarians though, but I was just wondering if there was something else I never heard before.

That's also why I quoted this post right here:

At 1/4/09 04:23 AM, Doopliss0011 wrote: al right i have just reached the 6 month hurdle today. HURRAH'S!!! okay my reasons

Congrats.


-Look, your eating something that was walking around, alive and happy, then it was killed, cut up into little peices and heated with blood still coming out, then you place that animal between your teeth and let it slide down your throat. (sorry if im getting anyone sick) my point is, its barbaric.

I get your point, but exactly how is it barbaric? Ending a life, is that the barbaric part? Or is it ending the life of an organism that knew it was alive?

I can see why people don't eat meat because it requires you to end a life, but I also know that without doing so, we would never be where we are today as a society.


-secondly, the earth is already starving, and it can support something like 5 times its current population if no one ate meat. how about that!

The earth carrying 5 times its current population isn't actually a good thing. Wether we eat meat or not, our population grows, though scientist have prove that indicates that our current ways of living will cause the human population worldwide to stay at around 7 billion people. It won't grow any larger than that and I think not eating meat won't change a thing about it.
Also, more people on this earth will only cause more trouble (think about wars over territory, wars over wealth, extremely large need of energy and wars over who gets that energy, etc.)

Though I guess your point is not really that, but us stopping eating meat will allow us to have more food.


-thirdly, its sort of in protest against these adds that have been on my tv about six months ago. it basicly said that you had to eat meat to grow up healthy. (the slogan was "Red meat: You were meant to eat it") disgusting.

They're just trying to make money like every other business does. If enough people fall for the same old tricks and lies, they'll just keep repeating them. Has got very little to do with vegetarianism, and more with capitalism or commercialism.


i think thats about it. oh, by the way, you wanna eat meat and be a barbarian, be my guest. but think about what your eating.

Haha, I especially love this piece right here. What you're basicly saying is that you don't mind people eating meat, though it does make them barbarian. That to me seems a lot like you do care, otherwise you wouldn't call them barbarians, would you?

Also, my reasons for not becoming vegetarian are simple:
- I've always been healthy, so becoming vegetarian won't change anything about that.
- Wether I stop eating meat or not, it won't change a thing about how many animals are slaughter for meat consumption.
- I don't find eating meat gross, I actually enjoy it, even after seeing the entire process of what the animal and meat go through before I eat it.

What I do find disturbing, though it's got little to do with vegetarianism, is how they treat most animals. I have nothing against eating meat and brreding animals for that purpose, but I do believe it could be done in a way better way to make the animal at least a bit happy.


"Never was anything great achieved without danger." - Niccolo Machiavelli

BBS Signature
Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Member since: Oct. 21, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 4th, 2009 @ 06:06 PM Reply

At 1/4/09 02:20 PM, Vincoid wrote: - Wether I stop eating meat or not, it won't change a thing about how many animals are slaughter for meat consumption.

Yes it will. Must I explain free-market capitalism and consumerism to you?

Doopliss0011
Doopliss0011
  • Member since: Jan. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Jan. 4th, 2009 @ 09:30 PM Reply

At 1/4/09 02:20 PM, Vincoid wrote: Hey guys, what's up?

I'm a meat eater lurking around in your crew a bit to get a feel for what motivates you. I've always been able to understand why people become vegetarians though, but I was just wondering if there was something else I never heard before.

:(he quotes most of my earlier post)



Also, my reasons for not becoming vegetarian are simple:
- I've always been healthy, so becoming vegetarian won't change anything about that.
- I don't find eating meat gross, I actually enjoy it, even after seeing the entire process of what the animal and meat go through before I eat it.

What I do find disturbing, though it's got little to do with vegetarianism, is how they treat most animals. I have nothing against eating meat and brreding animals for that purpose, but I do believe it could be done in a way better way to make the animal at least a bit happy.

hey, dude, i agree with you on most points, especially that last one. i know i don't have any power over other people to make them stop, and frankly i don't want to. its everyone's individual choice, but yeah, they need to gve the animals some ray of happiness in their life. i wasnt really clear in my last post, so, clarification: if you know what those animals go through, and your okay with that, your a terrible, sick, barbaric person.
i dont know how seeing the procces of slaughtering can't make you think twice about it, but i digress.

- Wether I stop eating meat or not, it won't change a thing about how many animals are slaughter for meat consumption

okay, fair nuff, but if everyone was like that, then nothing would be done.
if everyone stopped eating meat, then what would happen?
alternatively, if all vegetarians started eating meat, the market would skyrocket. i'm not being very clear, i know, but my point is that your idea is a bit shortsighted don't you think. but, hey, thats just me and my opinion.


I AM THE ULTIMATE OVERLORD, RULING AS THE WORLD'S MOST SUPREME BEING!!