Be a Supporter!

NG Vegetarian Community

  • 32,064 Views
  • 777 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 29th, 2009 @ 03:28 AM Reply

At 3/28/09 09:16 PM, OnionsXD wrote: meat is gooooood

1. Some people like the taste
2. It contains some nutrients.

That's all I've got. I could come up with many more reasons of why it is NOT good.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 30th, 2009 @ 11:10 PM Reply

At 3/30/09 12:20 PM, Adio wrote: Just wanted to pop in and say I respect what you guys do. I'm not Vegetarian, but anyone who is has far more willpower than I do.

I think we have a new record for most respectful comment from an ominvore :P

Jokes aside, thank you. Have you tried being vegetarian? It's not as hard as you'd think.

F-E-A-R
F-E-A-R
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 31st, 2009 @ 03:25 AM Reply

For about a year or two, I've always considered going vegetarian for dietary reasons but never really given it the final shove, always promising that I'll do it when I move out. However, in the last year I've considered to go vegan instead since most animal products contain fat which isn't essential to a some-what healthy diet. They also contain protein but I don't care much for muscles.

I got the guts last night to push it forward to now. I told my dad last night which he just laughed at me, compared me to hippies and said my little brother should take up the same diet (since he is fat). I plan to go shopping tomorrow but I need some advice in general about starting it. I'm pretty much clueless besides "go to the shops, buy veg, live off it" or something very similar. Any advice of any sorts would be greatly appreciated.

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 31st, 2009 @ 04:21 PM Reply

At 3/30/09 12:20 PM, Adio wrote: Just wanted to pop in and say I respect what you guys do. I'm not Vegetarian, but anyone who is has far more willpower than I do.

Thanks. I find it incredibly easy though. I think it would be harder for me to force myself to eat meat. Lol, it's gross.

At 3/31/09 03:25 AM, F-E-A-R wrote: For about a year or two, I've always considered going vegetarian for dietary reasons but never really given it the final shove, always promising that I'll do it when I move out. However, in the last year I've considered to go vegan instead since most animal products contain fat which isn't essential to a some-what healthy diet. They also contain protein but I don't care much for muscles.

Your last sentence was kind of ignorant. Protein can be found outside of animal products and vegans are not weak little things without muscle. At one point, WHILE VEGAN, I could bench press 125 and I weighed about the same.

I got the guts last night to push it forward to now. I told my dad last night which he just laughed at me, compared me to hippies and said my little brother should take up the same diet (since he is fat). I plan to go shopping tomorrow but I need some advice in general about starting it. I'm pretty much clueless besides "go to the shops, buy veg, live off it" or something very similar. Any advice of any sorts would be greatly appreciated.

Well, yay! vegweb has lots of great recipes, try an avocado sandwich, they're yummy. Uhh Idk, here's some stuff you could buy:
-tomato soup
-noodles
-vegan soup "Amy's Kitchen" brand
- Simply Asia vegan noodles
-Rice
-Veggies
-Fruit
*You could make a stir fry with rice, veggies, and seitan
-Hummus or pate (I love pate)
-Meat substitue like veggie patty, fake bacon, chicken, whatever. If you're going vegan, make sure to read the label or check for the word "vegan", most vegan products do have that word on there.
-GalaxyFoods soy cheese
You could get the ingredients to make this. I don't like the cheese, so I usually leave that and the garlic out. For the sour cream, Better Than Sour Cream by Tofutti is good.

Good luck.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
F-E-A-R
F-E-A-R
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 31st, 2009 @ 05:58 PM Reply

At 3/31/09 04:21 PM, Sensationalism wrote: Your last sentence was kind of ignorant. Protein can be found outside of animal products and vegans are not weak little things without muscle. At one point, WHILE VEGAN, I could bench press 125 and I weighed about the same.

Yeah, I'm really sorry. Seriously, I wasn't aware there was protein in products that isn't made of animal produce.

Whoops. Sorry for offending.

Good luck.

Thanks a load for the list. I'll likely try to stay away for the meat substitutes and soy cheese since they are likely to contain needless amounts of fat and stir frying since that usually requires vegetable oil which is more needless fat. Everything else though, I'll give it a shot. Noodles I have plenty of already (after I accidentally bought over ten packs and got put off them) and rice is always about really. Everything else, especially fruit and veg (easy to find, easy to buy, etc), I'll try to pick up tomorrow.

My dad decided to joke in front of my brother's girlfriend that I was going to go vegan after tomorrow (due to me cooking a meal for my dad and brother tomorrow and nothing much non-animal based in the house) by asking if the chicken in the chicken and vegetable pie I was having was meat. Which then apparently, she said she knew a vegan her self (since she's a vegetarian) so she's going to ask her friend for advice and what-not.

Again, thanks a ton and sorry for offending you.

D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 31st, 2009 @ 08:25 PM Reply

At 3/31/09 03:25 AM, F-E-A-R wrote: I got the guts last night to push it forward to now. I told my dad last night which he just laughed at me, compared me to hippies

Haha, I feel your pain. When i went vegetarian, I told my dad when he was about to start cooking dinner and he said "ha, no you're not." When I ate dinner, he had placed meat on my plate just to see if I would eat it, and I told him I don't eat meat anymore.

I still haven't eaten meat since.

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 31st, 2009 @ 10:42 PM Reply

At 3/31/09 05:58 PM, F-E-A-R wrote:
At 3/31/09 04:21 PM, Sensationalism wrote: Your last sentence was kind of ignorant. Protein can be found outside of animal products and vegans are not weak little things without muscle. At one point, WHILE VEGAN, I could bench press 125 and I weighed about the same.
Yeah, I'm really sorry. Seriously, I wasn't aware there was protein in products that isn't made of animal produce.

Whoops. Sorry for offending.

I wasn't offended, just had to point that out because it's kind of a popular misconception.


Good luck.
Thanks a load for the list. I'll likely try to stay away for the meat substitutes and soy cheese since they are likely to contain needless amounts of fat and stir frying since that usually requires vegetable oil which is more needless fat. Everything else though, I'll give it a shot. Noodles I have plenty of already (after I accidentally bought over ten packs and got put off them) and rice is always about really. Everything else, especially fruit and veg (easy to find, easy to buy, etc), I'll try to pick up tomorrow.

Lol, I don't think I usually use oil when I make stir fry. I wouldn't recommend cutting out fat completely, the brain uses that stuff. Eat some nuts or something for your polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats. I used to buy raw almonds, they were yummy.

My dad decided to joke in front of my brother's girlfriend that I was going to go vegan after tomorrow (due to me cooking a meal for my dad and brother tomorrow and nothing much non-animal based in the house) by asking if the chicken in the chicken and vegetable pie I was having was meat. Which then apparently, she said she knew a vegan her self (since she's a vegetarian) so she's going to ask her friend for advice and what-not.

I got so much shit when I first changed my diet. It just takes people a while to get used to you being different in that way I guess.

Again, thanks a ton and sorry for offending you.

You're welcome, don't worry about it.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Apr. 2nd, 2009 @ 11:40 PM Reply

At 4/2/09 02:08 PM, Ejit wrote:
At one point, WHILE VEGAN, I could bench press 125 and I weighed about the same.
Hot :).

I liked being able to bench more than this one dude who was kinda small and nerdy and more than every other girl but one. Now I'm a weakling. :(


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
XwaynecoltX
XwaynecoltX
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 52
Movie Buff
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Apr. 3rd, 2009 @ 12:08 AM Reply

I am not all veggie but i do try and eat healthy now and then so i love brocoli and such, yum yum infact

~X~


~X~ ~X~ ~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
POXNORA ??? A Very Unique game

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Apr. 3rd, 2009 @ 06:05 AM Reply

At 4/3/09 12:08 AM, XwaynecoltX wrote: I am not all veggie but i do try and eat healthy now and then so i love brocoli and such, yum yum infact

~X~

Post count +1. Right?


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
hhcash
hhcash
  • Member since: Mar. 23, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Apr. 3rd, 2009 @ 09:25 PM Reply

A couple days ago there were a few geese outside eating the grass, shitting everywhere, and hissing at me.

Are Bogo burgers good?


eh.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Apr. 4th, 2009 @ 03:25 AM Reply

At 4/3/09 09:25 PM, hhcash wrote: A couple days ago there were a few geese outside eating the grass, shitting everywhere, and hissing at me.

Are Bogo burgers good?

Lol, geese. I chased a goose once and got yelled at by this family that had wanted to feed it. Those things were all over the place.

I think you mean Boca burgers. I think they are disgusting, but you might like them. I didn't like real burgers either, so maybe trying them would be best, I don't know.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
MilestoneRazor
MilestoneRazor
  • Member since: Jul. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Apr. 5th, 2009 @ 08:33 PM Reply

Quick note: I'm neutral on vegetarianism and all, but saying you do it for animal rights isn't gonna make a difference. It's like not using shit paper to prevent trees from being cut down, it's a moot point. Just my opinion, though.


BBS Signature
F-E-A-R
F-E-A-R
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Apr. 5th, 2009 @ 09:13 PM Reply

At 4/5/09 08:33 PM, MilestoneRazor wrote: Quick note: I'm neutral on vegetarianism and all, but saying you do it for animal rights isn't gonna make a difference. It's like not using shit paper to prevent trees from being cut down, it's a moot point. Just my opinion, though.

Good thing I'm a vegan due to dietary reasons then.

Also, there's something so incredible about reading ingredients for things and seeing overly complicated names which you're not even sure if it's animal product or not.

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Apr. 6th, 2009 @ 11:21 PM Reply

At 4/6/09 06:18 PM, Ejit wrote:
At 4/5/09 08:33 PM, MilestoneRazor wrote: Quick note: I'm neutral on vegetarianism and all, but saying you do it for animal rights isn't gonna make a difference. It's like not using shit paper to prevent trees from being cut down, it's a moot point. Just my opinion, though.

It does make a difference. It sets an example, it spreads an idea, and it reduces the amount of animals that are killed for meat.

I think this point was brought up on the page before this, the answer was and is that you're not supporting something you disapprove of.

Also, that's stupid, it does make a difference. Vegetarians cause a decrease in a demand for meat, and so less animals are reared.

I used to talk to this girl, she could NOT understand supply and demand for the life of her. She thought vegans were actually doing something worse for animals because they caused the extra meat to be wasted. So meat-eaters were doing more good since they were preventing animals from being wasted since the same amount would die either way. She didn't get at all that less would be produced if there was less of a demand.

At 4/5/09 09:13 PM, F-E-A-R wrote: Also, there's something so incredible about reading ingredients for things and seeing overly complicated names which you're not even sure if it's animal product or not.

You can pretty easily find a list of ingredients to watch out for. I try to stay away from things with really complicated ingredients anyway, I feel a lot better eating things that are natural. I like to know what's going in.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
F-E-A-R
F-E-A-R
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Apr. 7th, 2009 @ 08:09 AM Reply

At 4/6/09 11:21 PM, Sensationalism wrote: You can pretty easily find a list of ingredients to watch out for. I try to stay away from things with really complicated ingredients anyway, I feel a lot better eating things that are natural. I like to know what's going in.

Where? Personally, I end up eating things with complicated ingredients just because if I doubt, I'm stuck with a very limited selection of food.

hhcash
hhcash
  • Member since: Mar. 23, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Apr. 7th, 2009 @ 07:33 PM Reply

Lol, a lot of kinds of Pop-Tarts (particularly the one I've been eating for all my life, frosted brown sugar cinnamon) is vegan. I'm so surprised there's no milk.

I'm sure there are several kinds of Pop-Tarts with milk, so don't be risky.


eh.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Apr. 8th, 2009 @ 04:12 AM Reply

At 4/7/09 08:09 AM, F-E-A-R wrote:
At 4/6/09 11:21 PM, Sensationalism wrote: You can pretty easily find a list of ingredients to watch out for. I try to stay away from things with really complicated ingredients anyway, I feel a lot better eating things that are natural. I like to know what's going in.
Where? Personally, I end up eating things with complicated ingredients just because if I doubt, I'm stuck with a very limited selection of food.

I remember I used to have a paper printed out that I kept in my pocket and would pull out on occasion, but mostly I memorised it. This looks like the one I had. I like that they also tell you what each thing actually is. I don't see taurine on the list, but that can come from animals as well.

If something I'm eating has an ingredient I don't recognise, I would google it. I like to know, I'm probably paranoid or something, lol.

Although, there's always the old 'I think it's okay, so I'm going to eat it, whoopsidoodle if I find out later it's got something in it I can't eat' lol.

At 4/7/09 07:33 PM, hhcash wrote: Lol, a lot of kinds of Pop-Tarts (particularly the one I've been eating for all my life, frosted brown sugar cinnamon) is vegan. I'm so surprised there's no milk.

I'm sure there are several kinds of Pop-Tarts with milk, so don't be risky.

Actually, I think you have to get the ones without frosting if you want it to be vegan. Last time I checked, there was gelatin or something in the frosting. It's been a while, so my info could be out of date.

But yeah, it is nice when you are able to eat things you didn't think you'd be able to!


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
hhcash
hhcash
  • Member since: Mar. 23, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Apr. 8th, 2009 @ 04:46 PM Reply

At 4/8/09 04:12 AM, Sensationalism wrote:
Actually, I think you have to get the ones without frosting if you want it to be vegan. Last time I checked, there was gelatin or something in the frosting. It's been a while, so my info could be out of date.

I think you're right about the gelatin. I just didn't know, I feel REALLY stupid because it was just today that I found out gelatin was an animal product...


eh.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Apr. 8th, 2009 @ 08:15 PM Reply

At 4/8/09 04:46 PM, hhcash wrote:
At 4/8/09 04:12 AM, Sensationalism wrote:
Actually, I think you have to get the ones without frosting if you want it to be vegan. Last time I checked, there was gelatin or something in the frosting. It's been a while, so my info could be out of date.
I think you're right about the gelatin. I just didn't know, I feel REALLY stupid because it was just today that I found out gelatin was an animal product...

Haha, no more marshmallows for you :P
Don't feel stupid about it though, we're all learning.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
hhcash
hhcash
  • Member since: Mar. 23, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Apr. 10th, 2009 @ 12:17 AM Reply

At 4/8/09 08:15 PM, Sensationalism wrote:
Haha, no more marshmallows for you :P

Psst, I hate marshmallows. Especially Peeps, they are just disgusting and filled with sugar I just literally feel my teeth rotting whenever I take a bite. It's even more un-vegetarian because THEY ARE SHAPED LIKE BUNNIES.


eh.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Apr. 10th, 2009 @ 07:53 PM Reply

At 4/10/09 12:17 AM, hhcash wrote: Psst, I hate marshmallows. Especially Peeps, they are just disgusting and filled with sugar I just literally feel my teeth rotting whenever I take a bite. It's even more un-vegetarian because THEY ARE SHAPED LIKE BUNNIES.

Lol. I kind of miss marshmallows when I'm camping and everyone else is roasting them around the fire. Roasted an apple once haha, it was pretty good. One of these years, I'll bring some vegan marshmallows with me. Ugh, peeps are the worst, so much sugar! Yeah, I never really liked marshmallows much either. I remember we used to get Lucky Charms when I was a kid, and I'd always pick out the marshmallow shapes and just eat the 'boring' part because it tasted better.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
hhcash
hhcash
  • Member since: Mar. 23, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Apr. 11th, 2009 @ 01:54 PM Reply

I'm eating veggie corn dogs for lunch right now. They're amazing!


eh.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Apr. 11th, 2009 @ 02:54 PM Reply

At 4/11/09 01:54 PM, hhcash wrote: I'm eating veggie corn dogs for lunch right now. They're amazing!

With ketchup?


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
hhcash
hhcash
  • Member since: Mar. 23, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Apr. 11th, 2009 @ 06:16 PM Reply

At 4/11/09 02:54 PM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 4/11/09 01:54 PM, hhcash wrote: I'm eating veggie corn dogs for lunch right now. They're amazing!
With ketchup?

No, I hate ketchup. I might dip it in veggie chili one day.


eh.

BBS Signature
F-E-A-R
F-E-A-R
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Apr. 11th, 2009 @ 08:48 PM Reply

At 4/11/09 02:54 PM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 4/11/09 01:54 PM, hhcash wrote: I'm eating veggie corn dogs for lunch right now. They're amazing!
With ketchup?

Ketchup and sweet pickle has animal products?!?!

I HAVE SINNED AGAIN D: .

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Apr. 13th, 2009 @ 09:39 AM Reply

At 4/11/09 08:48 PM, F-E-A-R wrote:
At 4/11/09 02:54 PM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 4/11/09 01:54 PM, hhcash wrote: I'm eating veggie corn dogs for lunch right now. They're amazing!
With ketchup?
Ketchup and sweet pickle has animal products?!?!

I HAVE SINNED AGAIN D: .

No, I was just asking what he liked dipping it in, if anything. I don't really eat veggie corn dogs. When I ate the real ones, I'd just peal off the cornbread and only eat that part. The hot dog part grossed me out. As far as I know, ketchup is fine. Unless "natural flavouring" is animal derived. But as far as I know, ketchup is safe.

This list might be helpful to someone. Don't bitch about it being peta, they can be a pretty good resource sometimes, despite attacking people for no good reason every once in a while.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Apr. 13th, 2009 @ 09:40 AM Reply

At 4/11/09 06:16 PM, hhcash wrote: No, I hate ketchup. I might dip it in veggie chili one day.

That sounds pretty good.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
hhcash
hhcash
  • Member since: Mar. 23, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Apr. 13th, 2009 @ 05:08 PM Reply

At 4/13/09 09:39 AM, Sensationalism wrote:
Don't bitch about it being peta, they can be a pretty good resource sometimes, despite attacking people for no good reason every once in a while.

PETA is awesome, people always think they're annoying, but the only way they're going to get any anything done is if they be direct and aggressive, because the high majority of people are meat-eaters, and PETA does a good job of being powerful and getting their voice heard. Despite their flaws (such as their terrible adoption rate), they are great. They are amazing at video editing too (especially on 30 Reasons to Become a Vegetarian).

BTW, does anyone know what the excuse from PETA why they only adopted seven animals last year?


eh.

BBS Signature
supuhfly8495
supuhfly8495
  • Member since: Jun. 10, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Apr. 13th, 2009 @ 06:31 PM Reply

I'm considering going vegetarian. I don't really like the taste of meat very much, and I realize that the animals go through a lot of pain before reaching our table. I don't really have a HUGE problem with animals dying, they don't have very much happiness to live for, they have happiness, but not as much as people. However, I hate the pain they go through. I once read this Roald Dahl anecdote about a boy that grew up on a farm being raised by his grandma, but him and his grandma were vegetarians. When his grandma died, he went to a big city and tried pork, not knowing what it was. He loved it, and asked the cook about it. The cook said that it was either pig or human, it was hard to tell these days, and the boy was fascinated. He thought that his grandma was just vegetarian because of taste. So he went to the meat factory to take a tour, and he sees pigs get cuffs slipped around their ankles then pulled straight up. He hears the cracking of bones. The tour guide then slips a cuff onto the boy's ankle, the boy gets pulled up, and a guy slits his throat. I don't eat pork, bacon, ham, sausage, hot dogs, lamb, or chicken. I still eat turkey sandwiches and beef(only very well done) every once in a while.

I have a question: Do you vegetarians still eat things like ramen, which has beef flavoring in them?(Although, oriental flavor is vegetarian.)


BBS Signature