New Topic Respond to this Topic
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 21st, 2009 @ 01:31 AM Reply

At 3/17/09 08:27 PM, DocSprite wrote: Also, not to put a damper on you or anything, but don't you think if animals were the dominant species, they would eat us?

They do eat us. What's your point?

At 3/17/09 08:39 PM, potter1954 wrote: i a vegan can i join? ive been one since i was like what 5?

Yeah man, get to posting! Welcome!!

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
hhcash
hhcash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 21st, 2009 @ 02:18 PM Reply

I really don't see anything wrong with eating animals. Humans, like most animals, are carnivores, and it's natural to eat meat. However, in modern society, farms do the bare minimum. For example, if I was in the wild, I would eat meat, by hunting. They lived a fine, free life, and when I killed it, that's that. But farms make the animals suffer to the worst their entire life, and it's fucking disgusting. I'm not asking anybody to stop eating meat, just asking the farms to make the animals have a better life before they slaughter them.

Thankfully, there are still some organic farms, and I encourage my parents to buy meat from Whole Foods.

I also punch people whenever they say they just ate at KFC.

eh.

BBS Signature
D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 21st, 2009 @ 03:56 PM Reply

At 3/21/09 02:18 PM, hhcash wrote: I really don't see anything wrong with eating animals. Humans, like most animals, are carnivores,

incorrect. Humans are omnivores, or so says the textbooks. And yet..

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/09 /are-humans-carnivores-or-herbivores-2/
http://www.goveg.com/naturalhumandiet_ph ysiology.asp
http://www.celestialhealing.net/physical veg3.htm

and so on. Type something along the lines of "humans are herbivores" into google and read up.

and it's natural to eat meat.

false.

AngryBanana
AngryBanana
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 21st, 2009 @ 04:52 PM Reply

At 2/11/09 01:56 AM, AngryBanana wrote: I suppose I'll join.

Read my news post and stuff kthx.

38 days no meat.

Woot?

vago187
vago187
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 21st, 2009 @ 06:42 PM Reply

hey guys and gals, Voice your opinions! Join ISay Collab
People love Collabs, lets make one with an opinion!

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 22nd, 2009 @ 06:50 AM Reply

At 3/21/09 02:18 PM, hhcash wrote: I really don't see anything wrong with eating animals. Humans, like most animals, are carnivores,

After that, I don't really care to read the rest of your post. I did anyway. I'd even argue that most animals are not carnivores, as their food supply is probably the most limited. Humans are omnivores with the mental and physical ability to decide to abstain from meat.

I also like the stuff D3ntatus linked. I always liked the point about humans being the only meat-eaters who did not enjoy raw flesh. If we were meant to eat it, it wouldn't disgust us.

At 3/21/09 04:52 PM, AngryBanana wrote:
At 2/11/09 01:56 AM, AngryBanana wrote: I suppose I'll join.

Read my news post and stuff kthx.
38 days no meat.

Woot?

Woot woot!! Good job!! You're seriously counting the days? I don't think I ever did that, I just went with it. Pretty cool though.

At 3/21/09 06:42 PM, vago187 wrote: hey guys and gals, Voice your opinions! Join ISay Collab
People love Collabs, lets make one with an opinion!

How long did it take you to post that in every club? Probably much longer than it took for me to be annoyed with you.

Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
DELUCA2400
DELUCA2400
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 22nd, 2009 @ 09:28 AM Reply

Um I'm not a vegetarian nor do I see myself turning into one (no offense), but it's Lent so I can't eat meat on Fridays and I'm really getting sick of fish and cheese pizza. So are there any faux meat products that actually taste good and that you recommend?

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 22nd, 2009 @ 12:21 PM Reply

At 3/22/09 09:28 AM, DELUCA2400 wrote: Um I'm not a vegetarian nor do I see myself turning into one (no offense), but it's Lent so I can't eat meat on Fridays and I'm really getting sick of fish and cheese pizza. So are there any faux meat products that actually taste good and that you recommend?

Any quorn products are good.
Tofurkey and Yves both make good faux deli meats.
Boca or Health Is Wealth have good fake chicken patties or nuggets.

Haha, you must really love meat if you can't go that long without it! How long does Lent last?

BBS Signature
Dark-Phire
Dark-Phire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 22nd, 2009 @ 12:37 PM Reply

At 3/22/09 09:28 AM, DELUCA2400 wrote: So are there any faux meat products that actually taste good and that you recommend?

MorningStar Farms sells plenty of vegetarian meat substitutes. I recommend buying their Veggie burger patties or Original Chicken patties. Yvies has some nice soy links so you can make some vegan hot dogs. Boca also has some meatless ground "beef" which, at 120 calories and 26 grams of protein per 116 gram pouch, is one of the most filling and nutritious meat substitute you will ever eat. It tastes just like some grilled ground beef.

Other then that, just try looking around your local grocery store. You'll find plenty of vegetarian options.

BBS Signature
hhcash
hhcash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 22nd, 2009 @ 02:58 PM Reply

At 3/22/09 09:28 AM, DELUCA2400 wrote: Um I'm not a vegetarian nor do I see myself turning into one (no offense), but it's Lent so I can't eat meat on Fridays and I'm really getting sick of fish and cheese pizza. So are there any faux meat products that actually taste good and that you recommend?

I recommend you eat a lot of pasta products.

eh.

BBS Signature
D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 22nd, 2009 @ 03:17 PM Reply

At 3/22/09 02:58 PM, hhcash wrote: I recommend you eat a lot of pasta products.

I second this. Pasta tastes awesome, fills you up, and has hella nutrients.

DELUCA2400
DELUCA2400
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 22nd, 2009 @ 06:11 PM Reply

At 3/22/09 12:21 PM, Sensationalism wrote:
Any quorn products are good.
Tofurkey and Yves both make good faux deli meats.
Boca or Health Is Wealth have good fake chicken patties or nuggets.

Haha, you must really love meat if you can't go that long without it! How long does Lent last?

Thanks for the help I'll pick up one of the chicken patty things and maybe some tofurkey. Actually I could go without it, but fish is just so bland and I would like to have more variety and to answer your question Lent ends on Easter (well the Friday before Easter.

hhcash
hhcash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 23rd, 2009 @ 04:54 PM Reply

At 3/22/09 03:17 PM, D3NTATUS wrote:
At 3/22/09 02:58 PM, hhcash wrote: I recommend you eat a lot of pasta products.
I second this. Pasta tastes awesome, fills you up, and has hella nutrients.

I eat it with pesto mostly.

Also, I apologize for some of the things I've said before, you are all right about the human omnivore thing.

eh.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 23rd, 2009 @ 06:10 PM Reply

At 3/22/09 06:11 PM, DELUCA2400 wrote: Thanks for the help I'll pick up one of the chicken patty things and maybe some tofurkey. Actually I could go without it, but fish is just so bland and I would like to have more variety and to answer your question Lent ends on Easter (well the Friday before Easter.

No prob. I gave some nuggets to my neighbors once and they liked them. Then I told them what they were and they literally threw them into my yard. Stupid little kids. Ah well.

Is Easter in March or April? Sorry to ask, I honestly don't know.

Enjoy your Lent thingy or whatever, hope the meat alternatives suit you fine until you're able to eat the way you'd like to again.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 23rd, 2009 @ 06:12 PM Reply

At 3/23/09 04:54 PM, hhcash wrote: Also, I apologize for some of the things I've said before, you are all right about the human omnivore thing.

Actually, I'm convinced we are naturally herbivores now. =D
No need to apologise really, but it's all cool.

BBS Signature
DELUCA2400
DELUCA2400
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 24th, 2009 @ 11:20 AM Reply

At 3/23/09 06:10 PM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 3/22/09 06:11 PM, DELUCA2400 wrote: Thanks for the help I'll pick up one of the chicken patty things and maybe some tofurkey. Actually I could go without it, but fish is just so bland and I would like to have more variety and to answer your question Lent ends on Easter (well the Friday before Easter.
No prob. I gave some nuggets to my neighbors once and they liked them. Then I told them what they were and they literally threw them into my yard. Stupid little kids. Ah well.

Is Easter in March or April? Sorry to ask, I honestly don't know.

Enjoy your Lent thingy or whatever, hope the meat alternatives suit you fine until you're able to eat the way you'd like to again.

Um Eater ends in April so I still have like two or three weeks. I'm going to the store tomorrow so I'll get some stuff there. I actually might try tofu, but it scares me.

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 25th, 2009 @ 02:27 PM Reply

At 3/24/09 09:20 AM, Ejit wrote: woah active

I actually had a tiny bit of duck the other day, a very tiny bit. :x

I don't actually feel bad about it or anything. It was fully grown, game and I didn't pay for it. My friend had had enough, it was still warm and was gonna go to waste.

I dunno what that makes me lol.

Active, yes! We made it to 14 pages!!!

Lol, what kind of vegan eats duck? Don't they shove food down their throats or something? I like ducks, they go QUACK QUACK and they are fun to feed and watch. I've always wanted pet ducks, I think I'll have some one day.

Now you're like Siddhartha Gautama. He was vegetarian, but ate meat if it was offered to him. Or something like that.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 25th, 2009 @ 05:46 PM Reply

At 3/25/09 05:21 PM, Ejit wrote:
At 3/25/09 02:27 PM, Sensationalism wrote: Lol, what kind of vegan eats duck? Don't they shove food down their throats or something? I like ducks, they go QUACK QUACK and they are fun to feed and watch. I've always wanted pet ducks, I think I'll have some one day.
When I'm older I'm going to have 2 Pigs, 4 Chickens and a dog :). Ducks are great too but I'd need a big pond or they'd just fly away :(.

Then I won't be vegan, I will be vegetarian though.

Gonna eat your chicken's eggs? That's cool, Martha Stewart does that. I love her! What are the pigs for? My sister wanted one at one point. Chickens sound cool to have also. But I'm just interested in ducks. Having just one as a pet would be cool. I like Pekings and Cayugas.

Now you're like Siddhartha Gautama.
ye i'm well like him actuly

Pretty cool dude.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 26th, 2009 @ 12:35 PM Reply

At 3/26/09 11:37 AM, Ejit wrote: Pigs are just awesome, and just because Chickens and Pigs are treated worse than most. If possible I'd like a Vietnamese Pot Belly :).

I prefer to keep 2 of any pet, or at least some other animal so I feel like I don't have to give it as much attention cos hopefully they'll occupy themselves.

I like Peking ducks as well.

Pig are smart, too! Sounds like a cool plan!! I'm sure your pets will be happy!

BBS Signature
hhcash
hhcash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 26th, 2009 @ 08:44 PM Reply

I don't want a pig cause they're messy :6

eh.

BBS Signature
simsam114
simsam114
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 26th, 2009 @ 10:53 PM Reply

I'm not trying to bash any vegetarians, if they decide not to eat meat that's fine.

But aren't we Omnivores by nature? We need both plants and meat to survive.
I'd rather stay that way, to be honest.

To post or not to post, that's the question.

D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 26th, 2009 @ 11:30 PM Reply

At 3/26/09 10:53 PM, simsam114 wrote: I'm not trying to bash any vegetarians, if they decide not to eat meat that's fine.

If we need meat to survive, why do vegetarians live longer than omnivores? And if it's so good for us, why does it cause cancer, raise cholesterol, and increase body fat?

Also, we're not omnivores by nature.

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/09 /are-humans-carnivores-or-herbivores-2/

Also, saying that we should eat meat because it's "natural" is a classic case of the appeal to nature logical fallacy.

I feel like I do this every week.

simsam114
simsam114
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 26th, 2009 @ 11:38 PM Reply

At 3/26/09 11:30 PM, D3NTATUS wrote:
At 3/26/09 10:53 PM, simsam114 wrote: I'm not trying to bash any vegetarians, if they decide not to eat meat that's fine.

If we need meat to survive, why do vegetarians live longer than omnivores? And if it's so good for us, why does it cause cancer, raise cholesterol, and increase body fat?

Also, we're not omnivores by nature.

Also, saying that we should eat meat because it's "natural" is a classic case of the appeal to nature logical fallacy.

I feel like I do this every week.

Good point, but if humans would really be herbivores, we wouldn't have been hunting on animals in order to eat meat thousands of years ago, right?

Or we had to because there weren't enough plants to eat? Maybe.

To post or not to post, that's the question.

D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 27th, 2009 @ 12:04 AM Reply

At 3/26/09 11:38 PM, simsam114 wrote: Or we had to because there weren't enough plants to eat? Maybe.

Though it's impossible to tell, this is the more likely answer. Before we became an agricultural society, we didn't have the access to a range of nutritional plants like we do today. It'd be pretty hard to get all your protein and iron from berries and leaves in the wild without killing a deer or something.

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 27th, 2009 @ 12:49 AM Reply

Went to Subway today. Saw lots of ducks. I'd have fed them a bit, but they had plenty of food. It looked like someone had dumped a bunch of buns over there.
Fantastic weather today!

At 3/26/09 08:44 PM, hhcash wrote: I don't want a pig cause they're messy :6

Nah man, pigs are clean! They just like mud! I'd love rolling in the mud with them, that would be mega fun!

At 3/26/09 11:30 PM, D3NTATUS wrote: I feel like I do this every week.

You pretty much do. We need to put up fliers, inform people of this stuff. Maybe then we'd get less people coming here proclaiming bullshit. lol.

BBS Signature
D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 27th, 2009 @ 01:02 AM Reply

At 3/27/09 12:49 AM, Sensationalism wrote: You pretty much do. We need to put up fliers, inform people of this stuff. Maybe then we'd get less people coming here proclaiming bullshit. lol.

That'd be hella grassroots shit right there. DIY posters outside McDonald's and shit. Goddamn, that'd be so fucking cool!

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 27th, 2009 @ 01:04 AM Reply

At 3/27/09 01:02 AM, D3NTATUS wrote:
At 3/27/09 12:49 AM, Sensationalism wrote: You pretty much do. We need to put up fliers, inform people of this stuff. Maybe then we'd get less people coming here proclaiming bullshit. lol.
That'd be hella grassroots shit right there. DIY posters outside McDonald's and shit. Goddamn, that'd be so fucking cool!

Well, now I want to do it!! You just made it sound really appealing for some reason. This is what I'm going to do with my extra time.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 27th, 2009 @ 04:58 PM Reply

At 3/27/09 11:13 AM, Ejit wrote:
At 3/26/09 08:44 PM, hhcash wrote: I don't want a pig cause they're messy :6
Na they're like some of the cleanest animals because they assign areas as being their toilet etc rather than just going in their beds etc.

It's funny how people associate pigs with being dirty when actually they are quite clean. Those silly ignorant meat-eating fools! :D

At 3/27/09 12:49 AM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 3/26/09 11:30 PM, D3NTATUS wrote: I feel like I do this every week.
You pretty much do. We need to put up fliers, inform people of this stuff. Maybe then we'd get less people coming here proclaiming bullshit. lol.
Could do...but tbh it's inactive enough lol. Also I don't ever mind anyone asking about that stuff if they're polite or respectful.

Ha, that's too true!! It's funny how a thread about vegetarian gets pages upon pages but this place is tiny. Though arguing about how stupid vegetarianism is is pretty different from coming to a club about it. Gotta be respectful here.
I don't mind the questions either. Usually. Haha.

BBS Signature
OnionsXD
OnionsXD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 28th, 2009 @ 09:16 PM Reply

meat is gooooood

Come check me out!

D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS