Be a Supporter!

NG Vegetarian Community

  • 32,686 Views
  • 776 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Feb. 12th, 2009 @ 06:39 PM Reply

At 2/11/09 03:05 PM, AngryBanana wrote: I'll actually tried going veg a few times but failed.

I'm rather serious this time, though.

What made going vegetarian easier for me was realizing that it's not the meat that tastes good, but the seasonings that are used. Raw meat, as I'm sure everyone could imagine, would be horrible.

Raw vegetables on the other hand, are much more palatable :P

startreeflesh
startreeflesh
  • Member since: Jan. 20, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Feb. 14th, 2009 @ 03:28 AM Reply

At 2/11/09 02:56 AM, Sensationalism wrote:

I never really liked the taste of meat either, and I'm also lactose intolerant! We have quite a bit in common (this and the bipolar thing) I'm starting to get scared, here!

I think we are secretly the same person somehow, haha!

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Feb. 16th, 2009 @ 02:44 PM Reply

At 2/14/09 03:28 AM, startreeflesh wrote:
At 2/11/09 02:56 AM, Sensationalism wrote:

I never really liked the taste of meat either, and I'm also lactose intolerant! We have quite a bit in common (this and the bipolar thing) I'm starting to get scared, here!
I think we are secretly the same person somehow, haha!

Multiple Personality Disorder, haha. I wouldn't be too surprised.

At 2/14/09 08:15 AM, Ejit wrote: I've been soul searching, and I now am 100% sure I know why I'm vegan.

I WANT TO BE A GORILLA

and yes i have to admit i eat the occasional fly.

I would love to see someone ask you that irl and see their reaction to you saying you're vegan because you want to be a gorilla. Totally the most creative response I've heard so far!


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Feb. 20th, 2009 @ 11:38 PM Reply

At 2/19/09 05:39 PM, Ejit wrote:
At 2/11/09 12:15 PM, Pippatchu wrote: Im vegetarian because of the way a animal gets killed. it's not nature's way you know.
etc.
Yeah that's a fair view. What's your opinion on farmed fish, then? And Game?

Yes, please elaborate!!

Incidentally I think it's kind of cute how you strive to keep the thread alive. Every time there's any vegetarian/animal abuse thread in general it reaches this thread's magnitude in a couple of hours.

Aww, you noticed that? I like it here, I like being around like-minded people and I don't want it to die. Where the hell has shabbo been? Garr.This place would probably be more popular if we let meat eaters take the piss out of us and argue, but that wouldn't be fun. I get that enough irl.

I just got back from Iceland, they seem really nice to animals their, outside of the fur industry. In the museums there were contraptions the Vikings used that would sever livestock's spinal chords in order to kill them quickly and painlessly, and there was a big pond in the capital where the areas the Ducks and Swans congregated in were heated.
There were also lots of roaming but well kept dogs etc. I really wanted to see an Arctic Fox, but I only saw dead'ns in shops and had to resist the urge of feeling them.

Awww, that's nice! I especially like the heated pond for the ducks and swans! Did people feed them?

Would have been cool to see an arctic fox. I saw one in my front yard once. A red fox, not an arctic one. It was cool though. The thing made the outside light turn on. This one girl thought my dog was a fox once. Oh hey look I'm rambling!


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
mastershake141
mastershake141
  • Member since: May. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Feb. 21st, 2009 @ 01:23 AM Reply

Hey veg-fags, enjoy your under-developed muscles

:D

D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Feb. 21st, 2009 @ 01:23 PM Reply

At 2/21/09 01:23 AM, mastershake141 wrote: Hey veg-fags, enjoy your under-developed muscles

enjoy your fuck you, the same amount of protein found in meat can be derived from plants without the god damn fat and cholesterol

also, eating meat does not make you stronger, only working out can do that.

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Member since: May. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Feb. 21st, 2009 @ 01:55 PM Reply

Guys I need some inspiration and advice.

I've been toying with the idea of eating meat again, not for the taste, I don't miss it, I know I wouldn't feel right eating meat after this long anyway, but more for my health.

I do keep hearing of people who have been vegetarians for years, then they go back to meat and they say that they never felt better.

I'm not the fittest person in the world and I do want to get healthy, I'm fed up of being unfit. I am always tired though, I always get tired quickly too when out, I probably am anemic. The easiest and probably nutrietly better option for me is to start eating meat again.

I don't eat too much junk, there isn't much wrong with my diet, I eat bad at weekends, but who doesn't? Do you take anything to help, or is tiredness not as issue for you?

What do you guys think? And please don't just view this as hard up vegetarians and get defensive - I don't want to eat meat but I think I kinda need to to become healthy.


[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Member since: Oct. 21, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Feb. 21st, 2009 @ 02:02 PM Reply

maybe ask a doctor.

My dad almost cut out vegetables from his diet and replaced it with meat because it fucked up his blood sugar levels.

D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Feb. 21st, 2009 @ 03:22 PM Reply

Talk to a dietitian, they can help a lot more than we can.

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Feb. 21st, 2009 @ 03:47 PM Reply

If it's going to help you get healthy, you could do it for a while and then go back to eating vegetarian but continuing to eat healthy. Or whatever.

As previously mentioned, going to a dietitian would probably be best.

I don't have any problems with tiredness or anything, I'm good. Exercising helps with that I think.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Skilla
Skilla
  • Member since: Mar. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Feb. 23rd, 2009 @ 07:40 PM Reply

Well, I'm a vegetarian I decided that I would be one as of 4 months ago.

However, I do eat fish I know this is considered vegetarian but a lot of times is frowned upon.

I don't see any reason though this doesn't go against my morals. Because, fish are humanely killed and there are so many of them. I do consider fish a necessity to humans and I always keep my vegetarian diet all natural nothing made in a lab or something that a 15th century farmer could cultivate.

Reasons I went vegetarian
- I figured I don't even need meat so why eat it. Some one else out there likes it more than me.
- Its greasy fatty and gross a lot of the times

I found a lot more reasons since then.

Why I stay vegetarian
-Animals are to cute
-I'll gag if i eat meat
-I love eating more vegetables and fruits
-Healthier
-A lot of adorable girls are vegetarian.[topic of convo]
-I enjoy being different

Struggles
-A lot of meals I eat take a while for me to make
-Lack of parent enthusiasm
-I get hungry when im high. Really hungry and I'm not always in a vegetarian friendly enviroment
-Trying to stop eating eggs.[Simply because eggs are pretty much baby chickens]
-Trying to maintain protein.

Worth it: 1000% =]

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Feb. 24th, 2009 @ 05:54 AM Reply

At 2/23/09 07:40 PM, Skilla wrote: Well, I'm a vegetarian I decided that I would be one as of 4 months ago.

However, I do eat fish I know this is considered vegetarian but a lot of times is frowned upon.

No, it's not. You're pescetarian.

I don't see any reason though this doesn't go against my morals. Because, fish are humanely killed and there are so many of them. I do consider fish a necessity to humans and I always keep my vegetarian diet all natural nothing made in a lab or something that a 15th century farmer could cultivate.

Always follow your own morals. Fuck the rest of the world.

Reasons I went vegetarian
- I figured I don't even need meat so why eat it. Some one else out there likes it more than me.
- Its greasy fatty and gross a lot of the times

Lol the first one you kind of contradict yourself by eating fish. But I'll let it slide, haha.

I found a lot more reasons since then.

Why I stay vegetarian
-Animals are to cute
-I'll gag if i eat meat
-I love eating more vegetables and fruits
-Healthier
-A lot of adorable girls are vegetarian.[topic of convo]
-I enjoy being different

Woot! Go you!!!

Struggles
-A lot of meals I eat take a while for me to make
-Lack of parent enthusiasm
-I get hungry when im high. Really hungry and I'm not always in a vegetarian friendly enviroment
-Trying to stop eating eggs.[Simply because eggs are pretty much baby chickens]
-Trying to maintain protein.

Lol, munchies!! Yeah, it's hard to control what you eat then. I don't think I'd ever go for a chicken wing or anything while high though, it'd gross me out too much.

Worth it: 1000% =]

Well, welcome to the club, man! Enjoy your stay, nice to have ya!!


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Feb. 27th, 2009 @ 12:58 AM Reply

At 2/23/09 07:40 PM, Skilla wrote: -A lot of adorable girls are vegetarian.[topic of convo]

ah man i talk about this so much, you and i are on a wavelength here

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Feb. 27th, 2009 @ 02:06 AM Reply

At 2/27/09 12:58 AM, D3NTATUS wrote:
At 2/23/09 07:40 PM, Skilla wrote: -A lot of adorable girls are vegetarian.[topic of convo]
ah man i talk about this so much, you and i are on a wavelength here

Great minds think alike!!!


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 12:15 AM Reply

That's pretty awesome, Ejit!!! My mum will occasionally eat veggie burgers so I had some hope for her at first since she doesn't even like much meat, but now I don't think she'll stop eating meat. She just eats whatever and doesn't really care.

Awesome that your mum is going veg though!


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
hhcash
hhcash
  • Member since: Mar. 23, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 14th, 2009 @ 08:33 PM Reply

I'm a vegetarian, but I feel like it's pointless since i still eat products with milk, cheese, and eggs in them. I can be a vegetarian, but i dont think i can be a vegan since i love dairy products and such. Maybe someday.


eh.

BBS Signature
DocSprite
DocSprite
  • Member since: Sep. 6, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 14th, 2009 @ 08:46 PM Reply

I don't get vegetarianism. I get the point, but theres not enough vegetarians to stop animal slaughter, and there probably never will be.

D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 14th, 2009 @ 09:19 PM Reply

At 3/14/09 08:46 PM, DocSprite wrote: I don't get vegetarianism. I get the point, but theres not enough vegetarians to stop animal slaughter, and there probably never will be.

the point isn't to stop it, the point is to distance ourselves from it. and that's only for the vegetarians who don't believe in animal slaughter. there are health and environmental reasons for going vegetarian, not to mention financial and religious reasons.

hhcash
hhcash
  • Member since: Mar. 23, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 14th, 2009 @ 11:25 PM Reply

At 3/14/09 08:46 PM, DocSprite wrote: I don't get vegetarianism. I get the point, but theres not enough vegetarians to stop animal slaughter, and there probably never will be.

I used to think that too. It's like voting, some people choose not to vote because they think their vote won't make a difference at all because of the huge U.S. population. Becoming a vegetarian is really the best you can do to help. Vegetarians/vegans are people who despise how animals are treated, so why the hell would we go ahead and consume the animals we love just because we don't think our vote will matter?


eh.

BBS Signature
D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 14th, 2009 @ 11:34 PM Reply

At 3/14/09 11:25 PM, hhcash wrote: I used to think that too. It's like voting, some people choose not to vote because they think their vote won't make a difference at all because of the huge U.S. population. Becoming a vegetarian is really the best you can do to help. Vegetarians/vegans are people who despise how animals are treated, so why the hell would we go ahead and consume the animals we love just because we don't think our vote will matter?

Yeah, really. It's like saying "well, smoking is bad for you, but people will still smoke even if I don't, so I might as well get addicted"

a bit of a stretch, but bear with me here.
JesusBukkake
JesusBukkake
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 15th, 2009 @ 03:53 AM Reply

it's like saying 'I disagree with human trafficking, but it's still gonna happen even if I don't support it, so bring me two Serbian heroin addicts. On a plate of fried rice.'

Nikmalev
Nikmalev
  • Member since: Oct. 19, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 15th, 2009 @ 07:29 AM Reply

i've been veggo since i was 7
But i'm only 14.

InstantWayno
InstantWayno
  • Member since: Sep. 6, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 15th, 2009 @ 02:27 PM Reply

Ok, I am kind of new to the clubs and crews section of the forums, but when I saw this thread I knew that it would be beneficial to join. Here is some basic info about me, which will why I am joining:

Type of vegetarian: Lacto-ovo vegetarian

Length of time being vegetarian: about 7 months; I would of tried to become one sooner, but I grew up in a meat eating household, so there was little I could do.

Primary reason for becoming a vegetarian: I just have a general distaste meat; I am not really involved with animal ethics or have any real health concerns, just don't like meat... simple as that.

Views of non-vegetarians: I am really open minded, so I really do not judge anyone that chooses to eat meat. Since I am not an avid animal rights activist, I really don't see any ethical issues. So I basically feel that a person's diet is their own business.

Favorite vegetarian related quote: "Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." -Albert Einstein

Anyways, I have not taken the time to read through all the previous pages, so I apologize if this has been asked before, but I am practically clueless when it comes to cooking with tofu. I have yet to try it by preparing it from scratch and I was wondering if there are any particular brands or types that people prefer, and how they season it.

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 16th, 2009 @ 06:56 AM Reply

So I'm currently reading Introduction to Animal Rights: Your Child or The Dog? by Gary L. Francione.
And it's really good. Well, I'm not very far in because I keep losing it, but I do quite like what I've read so far. His argument really makes a lot of sense, I wish more people would read it. The title has to do with a scenario proposed in the book in which there is a burning building contained a small child and a dog, and he questions which you would save. Naturally you would pick the child over the dog. But then he goes on to ask things like what if it was your dog and some kid you don't know? Or a dog and Hitler as a child, or something like that. What I really like about it though is the basic belief that is expressed about animal's rights, or rather their one right.

I really wish I'd stop losing track of it though, I even used a dollar bill as a bookmark hoping that would keep me from missplacing it, but that idea failed. :( Doesn't help that it's quite overdue so I really do need to finish it or at least return it. I'm determined to read it before I give it back though. Plus, I've already started, I might as well finish it. Soon as I find it, that is. >:(

I've got 400-some characters left, and you have no idea how tempting it is to try and use them all up. Or perhaps you do, or have experienced that, I really don't know. Or perhaps nobody will read this anyway, haha. If anything trying to use up all the characters is going to be rather off-putting. If people read anything, I hope they read my responses to my fellow veg friends.

I'm quite close now, I really am. I wonder if it's funny that I write the top last

At 3/14/09 08:33 PM, hhcash wrote: I'm a vegetarian, but I feel like it's pointless since i still eat products with milk, cheese, and eggs in them. I can be a vegetarian, but i dont think i can be a vegan since i love dairy products and such. Maybe someday.

I used to love milk. I have always had milk allergy, but I'd drink glasses and glasses of it anyway, sometimes to the point of puking because I didn't care that I was allergic, I liked it.
When I went veg, I switched to soymilk. It took me quite a while to be able to tolerate the stuff, at first I could only consume it with cereal. Now, I love the stuff and enjoy drinking it plain. My sister took to it much more quickly than I, but she switched at a younger age and stuff.

Can't really help ya with the eggs, as I never enjoyed them and was never very fond of baked goods either.

You can find some decent soy cheese. Some is really disgusting though. I think it was tofutti slices I tried that tastes like feet. lol. this company has delicious cheese, and I eat it even though it's got trace amounts of casein or something. Since the list of products you can eat according to Peta sometimes has trace amounts of stuff like that, I've decided it's acceptable for me. Usually I only eat it if I'm making a pizza. There's also Better Than Cream Cheese and Better Than Sour Cream, both of which are quite good. So, just so you know, there are alternatives out there that not only taste decent, but delicious.

Just information that I hope will be helpful if you ever decide to make the switch.
Also, you shouldn't feel like what you're doing is pointless because you're still helping animals and all that.

At 3/14/09 08:46 PM, DocSprite wrote: I don't get vegetarianism. I get the point, but theres not enough vegetarians to stop animal slaughter, and there probably never will be.

It may not stop it altogether, but it does reduce it. And I really feel like our numbers are growing, as evidenced by the increased amount of products available for non-meat-eaters. Or perhaps I just didn't notice them so much before.

My goal as a vegan is to reduce the amount of suffering, to refuse to contribute to factory farms and other institutions that inflict suffering, and to raise awareness. I don't focus on completely eradicating the unnecessary murder of animals for food, but it sure would be nice!! haha.

At 3/15/09 07:29 AM, Nikmalev wrote: i've been veggo since i was 7
But i'm only 14.

That's pretty young. What made you decide to stop eating meat? Either of your parents vegetarian?

At 3/15/09 02:27 PM, InstantWayno wrote: Ok, I am kind of new to the clubs and crews section of the forums, but when I saw this thread I knew that it would be beneficial to join. Here is some basic info about me, which will why I am joining:

Type of vegetarian: Lacto-ovo vegetarian

Welcome!!

Length of time being vegetarian: about 7 months; I would of tried to become one sooner, but I grew up in a meat eating household, so there was little I could do.

Well, I don't know how old you are, but I didn't stop eating meat until I was in high school. Had to discover it on my own, I was surrounded by meat-eaters at home and at school. I'm the reason my school began to and continues to offer vegetarian options!

Primary reason for becoming a vegetarian: I just have a general distaste meat; I am not really involved with animal ethics or have any real health concerns, just don't like meat... simple as that.

I never much liked it, either. And when I started out, it had very little to do with animal rights. That didn't come along until later, haha. Started cutting out meat, stopped eating meat, stopped eating other things, got into AR. It was a slippery slope for me, haha.

Views of non-vegetarians: I am really open minded, so I really do not judge anyone that chooses to eat meat. Since I am not an avid animal rights activist, I really don't see any ethical issues. So I basically feel that a person's diet is their own business.

I like to go by 'to each his own' but I'll be completely honest, sometimes it pisses me off when people eat meat. Maybe I'm just ocd, but I like my food to not come in contact with it. I have my own shelf in the fridge, and when someone puts meat or cheese or something on it, I get really pissed off, move it, and then clean my shelf. Can't touch in the cart, can't use utensils or cooking pans if meat was used in them. And when the house smells of cooked pig corpse or rotting death, I get annoyed because it smells horrible and permeates all over. Gah, living with meat-eaters sucks. I should really stop complaining, I'm getting to rambling. Again.

Favorite vegetarian related quote: "Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." -Albert Einstein

Wise man. I like his and Da Vinci's quotes about vegetarianism.

Anyways, I have not taken the time to read through all the previous pages, so I apologize if this has been asked before, but I am practically clueless when it comes to cooking with tofu. I have yet to try it by preparing it from scratch and I was wondering if there are any particular brands or types that people prefer, and how they season it.

I don't cook with tofu often. Vegweb may be helpful.

Soft is usually used in desserts.

I've used tofu in pie, soup, and stir-fry. Maybe other stuff, but nothing else comes to mind at the moment.

One thing I really like is this spinach tofu wrap from Amy's.

Tofu really just soaks up the flavour of whatever you are cooking it with. Eh, sorry I can't be more helpful. I'm sure someone else can.

My mum made the mess on the oven, not me. But this was my dinner the other night. I was going to have rice but changed my mind, lol. You guys ever have this stuff? The vegan ones say so in red on the box. Soy ginger is my favourite. I can't have the garlic because I'm allergic. I used to like the teriyaki or whatever until it made me sick, haha. It was either the teriyaki or the spicy kung pao, I'm not sure. I know only some of them are vegan, so obviously I don't eat the ones that aren't. Can't have the ones with peanuts either.
I've got mushrooms, red bell peppers, peas, and broccoli in there. It was yummy.
Link for the hell of it.

NG Vegetarian Community


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
DocSprite
DocSprite
  • Member since: Sep. 6, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 08:27 PM Reply

Also, not to put a damper on you or anything, but don't you think if animals were the dominant species, they would eat us?

InstantWayno
InstantWayno
  • Member since: Sep. 6, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 08:36 PM Reply

At 3/17/09 08:27 PM, DocSprite wrote: Also, not to put a damper on you or anything, but don't you think if animals were the dominant species, they would eat us?

But, would these animals be able to rationalize their actions. If not then it would be like any predator-prey scenario, and they probably would not think twice about it. However, if these animals had the same level rationality that humans have, would it be so crazy to think that some animals would choose not to eat meat.

potter1954
potter1954
  • Member since: Feb. 2, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 08:39 PM Reply

i a vegan can i join? ive been one since i was like what 5?


BBS Signature
InstantWayno
InstantWayno
  • Member since: Sep. 6, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 08:52 PM Reply

At 3/17/09 08:39 PM, potter1954 wrote: i a vegan can i join? ive been one since i was like what 5?

I am also new to the club, but I am sure that there is no distinct rule that bans vegans from joining and I believe a number of members are vegan as well. From what I have read, it seems to be a fairly relaxed and open minded group.

Anyways, welcome to the community. Be sure to check it every now and then, and contribute if you see any discussions that you can can add to or come up with your own if you feel that something should be addressed.

D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 09:00 PM Reply

At 3/17/09 08:27 PM, DocSprite wrote: Also, not to put a damper on you or anything, but don't you think if animals were the dominant species, they would eat us?

Well, not the animals we eat. They're herbivores.

But as Wayno said so eloquently, would they be able to rationalize their actions? At their current intelligence level, no. And if they were the dominant species, they'd have to be pretty smart to top us. So the more intelligent ones probably wouldn't eat us :P

Also, if you're suggesting that it's natural for us to eat meat because we are "superior" to animals, may I kindly direct you to the naturalistic fallacy, which basically boils down to "just because it's natural, doesn't mean it's right."

Shabbo
Shabbo
  • Member since: Jun. 16, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Musician
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Mar. 20th, 2009 @ 04:36 PM Reply

My Goodness, its been a loooooong time.

I see club is still active.

I had to make a post.

BBS Signature