New Topic Respond to this Topic
D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-21 23:53:52 Reply

At 1/21/09 11:21 PM, AniMetal wrote: Couldn't you technically be both a vegan and a cannibal at the same time?

No.

But breastfeeding kids you intend to raise vegan. Your thoughts?

Personally i don't think people should be raised vegan, because children need nutrients and shit that are harder to get on a vegan diet. Vegetarian is fine, but veganism is just difficult. And breastmilk has shit in it that babies need, like antibodies or some shit.

Gendo
Gendo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-22 00:01:05 Reply

At 1/21/09 11:53 PM, D3NTATUS wrote: Personally i don't think people should be raised vegan, because children need nutrients and shit that are harder to get on a vegan diet. Vegetarian is fine, but veganism is just difficult. And breastmilk has shit in it that babies need, like antibodies or some shit.

Yeah, breastfeeding is pretty important, formulas and supplements aren't nearly as effective.

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-22 00:31:21 Reply

At 1/21/09 11:53 PM, D3NTATUS wrote: But breastfeeding kids you intend to raise vegan. Your thoughts?

Personally i don't think people should be raised vegan, because children need nutrients and shit that are harder to get on a vegan diet. Vegetarian is fine, but veganism is just difficult. And breastmilk has shit in it that babies need, like antibodies or some shit.

Breastfeeding's great.

There are plenty of sources of information to help with raising a vegan child in a healthy way. There's a book I want to read called "Raising Vegan Children in a Non-Vegan World." Looks like a pretty good resource, or at least an interesting read.

I think I'd do it. I don't think it's that hard to provide the proper nutrients so long as you aren't negligent with it.

If you disagree with me, don't worry. I don't plan on having any kids at allllllllll.

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Shabbo
Shabbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-23 15:47:22 Reply

Before anyone else joins, if your vegetarian or vegan you just have to post and your already in.
So you dont have to show some link or write a 5,000 word post.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-24 11:23:39 Reply

Here's a link to a discussion going on in general, if anyone else wants to contribute to it. PETA, cats, etc.

At 1/24/09 10:08 AM, Ejit wrote: I don't thinks anybody whose opinion is important objects to breast feeding, it's not like the mother suffers or is contained.

In Africa, ladies breastfeed baby gorillas sometimes.

Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Strongfox
Strongfox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-26 14:27:21 Reply

Been vegetarian for about 8 years now, I wanted to start eating meat again recently but I just couldn't
Then i saw a post here on NG about some guy on youtube talking about why its great to be a vegetarian, now I'm proud to be one.

Link to the vid here
Check out the vid :Meet your Meat documentary: in the more info tab
Thx whoever posted this

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-27 09:47:29 Reply

At 1/26/09 02:27 PM, Strongfox wrote: Been vegetarian for about 8 years now, I wanted to start eating meat again recently but I just couldn't
Then i saw a post here on NG about some guy on youtube talking about why its great to be a vegetarian, now I'm proud to be one.

Link to the vid here
Check out the vid :Meet your Meat documentary: in the more info tab
Thx whoever posted this

I love videos like that! This guy has a kick-ass accent!
Used to have quorn here, don't see it anymore. I think it has eggs in it anyway, so it's not something I'd buy anymore anyway.

What made you want to eat meat again?

I know when I was in sports, we'd stop at fast food places often and I'd always feel left out and one time I remember thinking "It'd be so much easier if I just ate like everyone else" I wasn't considering changing my diet, I was just exasperated with always being different.

Books and videos really help reinforce what we're doing I think because we can see like-minded people and even learn from them. I know at first I had difficulty even discussing me diet because I was initially ridiculed and after that, I just kept my diet a secret. I don't anymore, now I'm proud of it and I know how to deal with people better.

To anyone starting out, Vegan Freak: Being Vegan in a NonVegan World is a great book. It's by Bob and Jenna Torres. When I read it, I wished I had found it sooner because by the time I read it, I wasn't really learning anything new. But the book is really well written and interesting and the authors are amazing. I love it when people aren't afraid to swear in their books!

BBS Signature
MusicalRocky
MusicalRocky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-29 16:40:25 Reply

I became a vegetarian in...May 2007?

White-Ferret
White-Ferret
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-29 18:43:40 Reply

i have been a veg for 8 months now! i feel so much better than i did when i was barbaric.

lacunae
lacunae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-29 19:50:58 Reply

i became a vegan 3 years ago.
just for an overall healthier lifestyle.
plus the taste of meat just doesn't do it for me.

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-31 18:10:26 Reply

Welcome new people!!

At 1/30/09 07:08 PM, Ejit wrote: Anyone watch the GB Food Fight stuff? Specifically the Jamie Oliver and Hugh Fernely Whittingstall ones.
In Tesco today I saw a shit load of people buying organic pork and chicken, wonder if it will last. Fuck Tesco though lol.

No. Got a link or anything?

BBS Signature
TheWolfe
TheWolfe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-02-01 13:14:43 Reply

I want to be a vegetarian. At first just to be healthy, but a million PETA videos later, I feel bad. My dad makes hamburgers and pork every week and it makes me feel...not sick, but self concious. My problem is that I HATE fruit, except for apples and OJ, I hate all fruit. But I love vegetables...You see, I'm a very picky eater. And what's funny is my dad was a vegetarian most of his life until he got sick and the doctors told him to eat meat for protein. But I can't tell him I want to be a vegetarian because he wouldn't take me seriously and if he did, he'd make me eat food I hate. My only hope is that when I go to college (in Cali) I can make my own choices and be healthy.

RAWR.

BBS Signature
OneLastCaress
OneLastCaress
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-02-02 18:59:46 Reply

I'm not hardcore vegetarian, but I won't eat meat if I don't have to.
Also, to the people saying "The animals will still get eaten, you're not saving anything.'
It's more in protest than anything else.

BBS Signature
LK412
LK412
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-02-03 01:21:44 Reply

I've been a vegetarian my whole life. I have never eaten a piece of meat in my life. No eggs or fish either. (Some people don't count that as meat) I

m not a vegetarian that doesn't drink milk that is not helping anyone in my opinion. Actually it does because if all humans were vegetarians that don't drink milk then there would be no cattle raising and stuff. So i revoke my last comment.

I don't have any recipes except indian food (im indian). So yeah.

Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-02-03 01:34:51 Reply

I eat eggs and drink milk.

To start, if you eat eggs and drink milk regularly, you actually don't have to put any real thought into your nutrition at all. I still eat a lot of vegetables and a wide diet but I don't take mineral supplements and I am a a master chef.

Secondly, it's a more acceptable evil for me to support - the rearing and milking of cattle and the rearing of chickens. A lot of 'em might end up on the chopping block but I'm not supporting that aspect.

I buy free range eggs and organic milk or locally farmed milk. It appears that most cows are free range anyway and my uni is in the countryside next to loads of cow farms where I presume our oddly-bottled milk originates - right next door to us, from those happy looking cows.

I know the animals still have no say in it and are still being used for us, but fuck it, it's a Capitalist society and if cows and chickens have something they can offer when they're alive, maybe they should.

I am not totally secure in these beliefs. I would like a pet miniature cow and pet hens. My mum has hens in the back garden. I certainly don't see what I'm doing as being particularly bad, and it is totally possible for me to switch to soya milk, which I think tastes fine too.

Veganism seems like a wee bit too much attention to pay to a diet, too. I like going into shops and knowing that I can buy every chocolate bar, every cake, pasta, every processed foodstuff there that doesn't have meat in it. I still check ingredients for shit like gelatine or rennet for certain products but it feels like if I was vegan then half of my staple foods would be impossible to find.

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-02-04 23:18:07 Reply

At 2/1/09 06:41 PM, Ejit wrote:
At 1/31/09 06:10 PM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 1/30/09 07:08 PM, Ejit wrote: Anyone watch the GB Food Fight stuff? Specifically the Jamie Oliver and Hugh Fernely Whittingstall ones.
In Tesco today I saw a shit load of people buying organic pork and chicken, wonder if it will last. Fuck Tesco though lol.
No. Got a link or anything?
No links, sorry. You have 4od? It will be on there.

I dunno. I'm not that interested anymore. If I feel like, I'll search for it on a rainy day.

At 2/3/09 01:34 AM, Earfetish wrote: Veganism seems like a wee bit too much attention to pay to a diet, too. I like going into shops and knowing that I can buy every chocolate bar, every cake, pasta, every processed foodstuff there that doesn't have meat in it. I still check ingredients for shit like gelatine or rennet for certain products but it feels like if I was vegan then half of my staple foods would be impossible to find.

I don't really have a problem with it, but I think that's just because it's the way I've gotten used to eating. I know what I can and can't have most of the time, and my diet doesn't vary immensely day to day. I love to cook also, so being vegan allows for plenty of that, especially if I want cake or something. I'm not a big fan of sweets though. I prefer Nature's candy (fruit, lol).

At 2/3/09 03:56 PM, Ejit wrote: I really like the idea of free range animals, and yeah I think that generally it's a good thing to support. I don't see how you can say that by buying milk, eggs etc. that you're not supporting the killing of animals - to me that's just the same as the average person view that the meat you buy is already dead.

Yeah. The milk industry directly supports the meat industry. Males are used as veal, and old milk cows are used as meat, too. Stuff like that, I don't really pay as much attention as one might expect. I go through "cycles" of being really AR crazy, and cycles of not caring so much, lol.

The reason I'm vegan is largely to show that it's not the killing of animals that I object to, it's the way they're kept. There are other reasons...it's quite nice imo to be unconventional too, not like in a way that just makes me feel 'different', but as in a sort of challenge, proving self control etc.

Sometimes I don't know why I'm vegan. I know why I became vegan, and I know why I continue to do it, but spouting out my specific reasons isn't that fun. Why do I care about all that stuff? I don't know. I'm weird. I value an insect's life as much as a humans. >.>I like to be different, too. Like "haha, I think for myself instead of shoving meat and lies down my throat like the rest of you!" But that's just blehhh.

It's hard to explain my reasoning, or absence of it, but I don't see myself changing my habits anytime soon.

Me neither, bro! Actually, I don't see me changing my habits ever. I honestly could never eat meat again. It baffles me when I find out that someone was vegetarian for a while, because for me, I don't see how one can go back once they've done it. Mystery to me, I guess.

BBS Signature
startreeflesh
startreeflesh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-02-07 07:11:10 Reply

I've been a vegetarian for most of my life, vegan for about 8 years. Initially because my mother is a vegetarian (basically), and I've never liked the taste of meat. Now, I continue this diet choice because I care about hormones and the such put into meat, the energy expenditure of meat that massively assists global warming/environmental destruction, and because of the inhumane treatment to animals in mass meat farming.

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-02-07 16:48:54 Reply

At 2/7/09 07:11 AM, startreeflesh wrote: I've been a vegetarian for most of my life, vegan for about 8 years. Initially because my mother is a vegetarian (basically), and I've never liked the taste of meat. Now, I continue this diet choice because I care about hormones and the such put into meat, the energy expenditure of meat that massively assists global warming/environmental destruction, and because of the inhumane treatment to animals in mass meat farming.

Awesome!!!

Don't want to develop bitch tits just because your milk/meat were pumped full of hormones, eh? It's sick when 5 year olds get boobs because of that. What's "basically a vegetarian?" Why'd you go one step further than your mum and go vegan instead of just staying vegetarian?

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-02-09 03:03:32 Reply

At 2/7/09 05:19 PM, Ejit wrote:
At 2/4/09 11:18 PM, Sensationalism wrote: I dunno. I'm not that interested anymore. If I feel like, I'll search for it on a rainy day.

So I would not be the target audience.

Yeah, it's nothing you wouldn't know already, for ignorant people that just buy stuff if it's cheap without thinking.

I'm weird. I value an insect's life as much as a humans. >.>
Same, bro.
I go through like radical extremist phases of thinking humans shouldn't be given any medical treatment beyond pain killers or something, I basically started ignoring my friend when I noticed he had barbed wire around his garden, and I even deliberately annoy people buying cheap meat in shops; I can be way ott.

Really? Oh boy. I go through phases like that too. How do you go about annoying people buying cheap meat? You sound like you'd be fun to hang out with, haha.

Me neither, bro! Actually, I don't see me changing my habits ever. I honestly could never eat meat again. It baffles me when I find out that someone was vegetarian for a while, because for me, I don't see how one can go back once they've done it. Mystery to me, I guess.
Kind of sucks for me on Sundays though, my family has a roast and I can never think of anything 'special' to have, just end up with tofu lol(though what is better than tofu).

Does it make you feel left out? I usually would at family functions, so I started bring my own vegan version of whatever everyone else was having. Nothing's wrong with tofu!!

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-02-11 01:48:22 Reply

So, I go on Peta2 sometimes. Mostly because I want to win stuff. But you know that point system thing they have? It's really annoying how long it takes them to add points when you do something where the points aren't automated. Like I applied for I think 10,000 points for getting vegetarian options at my school and even had to leave the school's contact information with them and peta still hasn't gotten around to checking on it or awarding me any points. It's been like 6 months, damn it. I want that cool lunch box that says "No animals in here" or something like that. Grrrr.

BBS Signature
AngryBanana
AngryBanana
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-02-11 01:56:42 Reply

I suppose I'll join.

Read my news post and stuff kthx.

startreeflesh
startreeflesh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-02-11 02:19:02 Reply

At 2/7/09 04:48 PM, Sensationalism wrote:

Awesome!!!

Don't want to develop bitch tits just because your milk/meat were pumped full of hormones, eh? It's sick when 5 year olds get boobs because of that. What's "basically a vegetarian?" Why'd you go one step further than your mum and go vegan instead of just staying vegetarian?

Haha, yeah, no bitch tits at age 5 for me! I had a friend who totally was affected by meat hormones and had like double Ds at age 10...ABSURD! My mom would eat fish once in a while, that's why I call her "basically" a vegetarian. I never liked the taste of meat and I'm lactose intolerant, so vegan seemed natural. ^.^

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-02-11 02:44:51 Reply

At 2/11/09 01:56 AM, AngryBanana wrote: I suppose I'll join.

Read my news post and stuff kthx.

We'll see. I know plenty of people who have had similar reactions to things like that. A friend I had went to a slaughterhouse and stopped eating meat. Until a day or two later when they got over it.

Those videos usually make me cry, too. My mum would yell at me for watching them, but I'd be like "Mum, I have to know!!"

Welcome, and you'd better stick with it you caring, compassionate individual! Once you've been doing it for a little while, let us know if you notice any changes.

At 2/11/09 02:19 AM, startreeflesh wrote:
At 2/7/09 04:48 PM, Sensationalism wrote:

Awesome!!!

Haha, yeah, no bitch tits at age 5 for me! I had a friend who totally was affected by meat hormones and had like double Ds at age 10...ABSURD! My mom would eat fish once in a while, that's why I call her "basically" a vegetarian. I never liked the taste of meat and I'm lactose intolerant, so vegan seemed natural. ^.^

Yeah, I've see kids affected by it, and it disgusts me! I have one cousin who definitely is consuming too many hormones from her meat and dairy diet. (It's pretty much all she eats!)

Oh, well then your mother would be called a pescetarian. There's no such thing as a "kinda vegetarian." Either you eat meat or you don't, and vegetarians do not.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-02-11 02:56:43 Reply

At 2/11/09 02:19 AM, startreeflesh wrote: I never liked the taste of meat and I'm lactose intolerant, so vegan seemed natural. ^.^

I got distracted, and forgot to post something that I intended to post. Yay, another double post! *grumbles*

I never really liked the taste of meat either, and I'm also lactose intolerant! We have quite a bit in common (this and the bipolar thing) I'm starting to get scared, here!

I remember my parents always having to force me to eat my stupid meat otherwise I wouldn't eat it and there was NO WAY I would have eaten any of it if I knew it was once a living, breathing animal. Bambi made me cry and I went around saving the living bugs from spiderwebs while leaving the already dead ones so they spiders would live too. I'd say I was a pretty compassionate child.

BBS Signature
D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-02-11 09:50:05 Reply

on the subject of hormones developing large breasts in girls (because we all like breasts!)

i have two vegan friends who both have DDs. How odd!

also I stopped wearing deodorant because vegetarian sweat doesn't smell very strong.

also hey guys what's up, long time no see.

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-02-11 10:27:48 Reply

At 2/11/09 09:50 AM, D3NTATUS wrote: on the subject of hormones developing large breasts in girls (because we all like breasts!)

i have two vegan friends who both have DDs. How odd!

More like omg hot.

also I stopped wearing deodorant because vegetarian sweat doesn't smell very strong.

Huh. That's interesting.

also hey guys what's up, long time no see.

I know! Where the eff have you been?

BBS Signature
Pippatchu
Pippatchu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-02-11 12:15:11 Reply

Im vegetarian because of the way a animal gets killed. it's not nature's way you know.
They don't belong in those farms where they are forced to make childs. and those childs get all stuff so they grow injected. And then they go sit with other cows and grow by eating superduper much food. and then they get killed by a machine. and then you eat.
I would eat meat if there are too much for example deers. with too much i mean they don't have enough food in their surrounding to feed them all.
But at that barbarian way i will never eat meat.
But i eat fish cause they are a natural source of food for the human being. although i don't eat fish that are in danger for starving out. That's my explanation. I'm N.W.

You should go to sleep.

AngryBanana
AngryBanana
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-02-11 15:05:48 Reply

At 2/11/09 02:44 AM, Sensationalism wrote: Welcome, and you'd better stick with it you caring, compassionate individual! Once you've been doing it for a little while, let us know if you notice any changes.

I'll actually tried going veg a few times but failed.

I'm rather serious this time, though.

D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-02-11 18:54:51 Reply

At 2/11/09 10:27 AM, Sensationalism wrote: More like omg hot.

Well yeah, that too. One's fairly attractive, the other I had the hugest crush of my life on two years ago. Both have wonderful breasts hahaha.

Anyways, I've been busy with homework and morrowind and shit. I'm gonna be pretty busy, so I'll be popping in sporadically. I have honor band and homework and bullshit.

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-02-11 23:47:27 Reply

At 2/11/09 03:05 PM, AngryBanana wrote: I'll actually tried going veg a few times but failed.

I'm rather serious this time, though.

Eh, if you ever need help or something, I could probably help.

BBS Signature