vago187
vago187
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-03-21 18:42:46 Reply

hey guys and gals, Voice your opinions! Join ISay Collab
People love Collabs, lets make one with an opinion!

DELUCA2400
DELUCA2400
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-03-22 09:28:47 Reply

Um I'm not a vegetarian nor do I see myself turning into one (no offense), but it's Lent so I can't eat meat on Fridays and I'm really getting sick of fish and cheese pizza. So are there any faux meat products that actually taste good and that you recommend?

Dark-Phire
Dark-Phire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-03-22 12:37:26 Reply

At 3/22/09 09:28 AM, DELUCA2400 wrote: So are there any faux meat products that actually taste good and that you recommend?

MorningStar Farms sells plenty of vegetarian meat substitutes. I recommend buying their Veggie burger patties or Original Chicken patties. Yvies has some nice soy links so you can make some vegan hot dogs. Boca also has some meatless ground "beef" which, at 120 calories and 26 grams of protein per 116 gram pouch, is one of the most filling and nutritious meat substitute you will ever eat. It tastes just like some grilled ground beef.

Other then that, just try looking around your local grocery store. You'll find plenty of vegetarian options.

BBS Signature
hhcash
hhcash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-03-22 14:58:53 Reply

At 3/22/09 09:28 AM, DELUCA2400 wrote: Um I'm not a vegetarian nor do I see myself turning into one (no offense), but it's Lent so I can't eat meat on Fridays and I'm really getting sick of fish and cheese pizza. So are there any faux meat products that actually taste good and that you recommend?

I recommend you eat a lot of pasta products.

eh.

BBS Signature
D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-03-22 15:17:47 Reply

At 3/22/09 02:58 PM, hhcash wrote: I recommend you eat a lot of pasta products.

I second this. Pasta tastes awesome, fills you up, and has hella nutrients.

DELUCA2400
DELUCA2400
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-03-22 18:11:42 Reply

At 3/22/09 12:21 PM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 3/22/09 09:28 AM, DELUCA2400 wrote: Um I'm not a vegetarian nor do I see myself turning into one (no offense), but it's Lent so I can't eat meat on Fridays and I'm really getting sick of fish and cheese pizza. So are there any faux meat products that actually taste good and that you recommend?
Any quorn products are good.
Tofurkey and Yves both make good faux deli meats.
Boca or Health Is Wealth have good fake chicken patties or nuggets.

Haha, you must really love meat if you can't go that long without it! How long does Lent last?

Thanks for the help I'll pick up one of the chicken patty things and maybe some tofurkey. Actually I could go without it, but fish is just so bland and I would like to have more variety and to answer your question Lent ends on Easter (well the Friday before Easter.

hhcash
hhcash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-03-23 16:54:25 Reply

At 3/22/09 03:17 PM, D3NTATUS wrote:
At 3/22/09 02:58 PM, hhcash wrote: I recommend you eat a lot of pasta products.
I second this. Pasta tastes awesome, fills you up, and has hella nutrients.

I eat it with pesto mostly.

Also, I apologize for some of the things I've said before, you are all right about the human omnivore thing.

eh.

BBS Signature
DELUCA2400
DELUCA2400
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-03-24 11:20:05 Reply

At 3/23/09 06:10 PM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 3/22/09 06:11 PM, DELUCA2400 wrote: Thanks for the help I'll pick up one of the chicken patty things and maybe some tofurkey. Actually I could go without it, but fish is just so bland and I would like to have more variety and to answer your question Lent ends on Easter (well the Friday before Easter.
No prob. I gave some nuggets to my neighbors once and they liked them. Then I told them what they were and they literally threw them into my yard. Stupid little kids. Ah well.

Is Easter in March or April? Sorry to ask, I honestly don't know.

Enjoy your Lent thingy or whatever, hope the meat alternatives suit you fine until you're able to eat the way you'd like to again.

Um Eater ends in April so I still have like two or three weeks. I'm going to the store tomorrow so I'll get some stuff there. I actually might try tofu, but it scares me.

hhcash
hhcash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-03-26 20:44:13 Reply

I don't want a pig cause they're messy :6

eh.

BBS Signature
simsam114
simsam114
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-03-26 22:53:20 Reply

I'm not trying to bash any vegetarians, if they decide not to eat meat that's fine.

But aren't we Omnivores by nature? We need both plants and meat to survive.
I'd rather stay that way, to be honest.

To post or not to post, that's the question.

D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-03-26 23:30:24 Reply

At 3/26/09 10:53 PM, simsam114 wrote: I'm not trying to bash any vegetarians, if they decide not to eat meat that's fine.

If we need meat to survive, why do vegetarians live longer than omnivores? And if it's so good for us, why does it cause cancer, raise cholesterol, and increase body fat?

Also, we're not omnivores by nature.

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/09 /are-humans-carnivores-or-herbivores-2/
http://www.celestialhealing.net/physical veg3.htm
http://www.goveg.com/naturalhumandiet_ph ysiology.asp

Also, saying that we should eat meat because it's "natural" is a classic case of the appeal to nature logical fallacy.

I feel like I do this every week.

simsam114
simsam114
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-03-26 23:38:53 Reply

At 3/26/09 11:30 PM, D3NTATUS wrote:
At 3/26/09 10:53 PM, simsam114 wrote: I'm not trying to bash any vegetarians, if they decide not to eat meat that's fine.

If we need meat to survive, why do vegetarians live longer than omnivores? And if it's so good for us, why does it cause cancer, raise cholesterol, and increase body fat?

Also, we're not omnivores by nature.

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/09 /are-humans-carnivores-or-herbivores-2/
http://www.celestialhealing.net/physical veg3.htm
http://www.goveg.com/naturalhumandiet_ph ysiology.asp

Also, saying that we should eat meat because it's "natural" is a classic case of the appeal to nature logical fallacy.

I feel like I do this every week.

Good point, but if humans would really be herbivores, we wouldn't have been hunting on animals in order to eat meat thousands of years ago, right?

Or we had to because there weren't enough plants to eat? Maybe.

To post or not to post, that's the question.

D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-03-27 00:04:46 Reply

At 3/26/09 11:38 PM, simsam114 wrote: Or we had to because there weren't enough plants to eat? Maybe.

Though it's impossible to tell, this is the more likely answer. Before we became an agricultural society, we didn't have the access to a range of nutritional plants like we do today. It'd be pretty hard to get all your protein and iron from berries and leaves in the wild without killing a deer or something.

D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-03-27 01:02:03 Reply

At 3/27/09 12:49 AM, Sensationalism wrote: You pretty much do. We need to put up fliers, inform people of this stuff. Maybe then we'd get less people coming here proclaiming bullshit. lol.

That'd be hella grassroots shit right there. DIY posters outside McDonald's and shit. Goddamn, that'd be so fucking cool!

OnionsXD
OnionsXD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-03-28 21:16:50 Reply

meat is gooooood

Come check me out!

D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-03-29 00:41:45 Reply

At 3/28/09 09:16 PM, OnionsXD wrote: meat is gooooood

False.

D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-03-30 23:10:02 Reply

At 3/30/09 12:20 PM, Adio wrote: Just wanted to pop in and say I respect what you guys do. I'm not Vegetarian, but anyone who is has far more willpower than I do.

I think we have a new record for most respectful comment from an ominvore :P

Jokes aside, thank you. Have you tried being vegetarian? It's not as hard as you'd think.

F-E-A-R
F-E-A-R
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-03-31 03:25:51 Reply

For about a year or two, I've always considered going vegetarian for dietary reasons but never really given it the final shove, always promising that I'll do it when I move out. However, in the last year I've considered to go vegan instead since most animal products contain fat which isn't essential to a some-what healthy diet. They also contain protein but I don't care much for muscles.

I got the guts last night to push it forward to now. I told my dad last night which he just laughed at me, compared me to hippies and said my little brother should take up the same diet (since he is fat). I plan to go shopping tomorrow but I need some advice in general about starting it. I'm pretty much clueless besides "go to the shops, buy veg, live off it" or something very similar. Any advice of any sorts would be greatly appreciated.

F-E-A-R
F-E-A-R
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-03-31 17:58:00 Reply

At 3/31/09 04:21 PM, Sensationalism wrote: Your last sentence was kind of ignorant. Protein can be found outside of animal products and vegans are not weak little things without muscle. At one point, WHILE VEGAN, I could bench press 125 and I weighed about the same.

Yeah, I'm really sorry. Seriously, I wasn't aware there was protein in products that isn't made of animal produce.

Whoops. Sorry for offending.

Good luck.

Thanks a load for the list. I'll likely try to stay away for the meat substitutes and soy cheese since they are likely to contain needless amounts of fat and stir frying since that usually requires vegetable oil which is more needless fat. Everything else though, I'll give it a shot. Noodles I have plenty of already (after I accidentally bought over ten packs and got put off them) and rice is always about really. Everything else, especially fruit and veg (easy to find, easy to buy, etc), I'll try to pick up tomorrow.

My dad decided to joke in front of my brother's girlfriend that I was going to go vegan after tomorrow (due to me cooking a meal for my dad and brother tomorrow and nothing much non-animal based in the house) by asking if the chicken in the chicken and vegetable pie I was having was meat. Which then apparently, she said she knew a vegan her self (since she's a vegetarian) so she's going to ask her friend for advice and what-not.

Again, thanks a ton and sorry for offending you.

D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-03-31 20:25:40 Reply

At 3/31/09 03:25 AM, F-E-A-R wrote: I got the guts last night to push it forward to now. I told my dad last night which he just laughed at me, compared me to hippies

Haha, I feel your pain. When i went vegetarian, I told my dad when he was about to start cooking dinner and he said "ha, no you're not." When I ate dinner, he had placed meat on my plate just to see if I would eat it, and I told him I don't eat meat anymore.

I still haven't eaten meat since.

XwaynecoltX
XwaynecoltX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 54
Movie Buff
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-04-03 00:08:38 Reply

I am not all veggie but i do try and eat healthy now and then so i love brocoli and such, yum yum infact

~X~

hhcash
hhcash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-04-03 21:25:01 Reply

A couple days ago there were a few geese outside eating the grass, shitting everywhere, and hissing at me.

Are Bogo burgers good?

eh.

BBS Signature
MilestoneRazor
MilestoneRazor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-04-05 20:33:11 Reply

Quick note: I'm neutral on vegetarianism and all, but saying you do it for animal rights isn't gonna make a difference. It's like not using shit paper to prevent trees from being cut down, it's a moot point. Just my opinion, though.

BBS Signature
F-E-A-R
F-E-A-R
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-04-05 21:13:39 Reply

At 4/5/09 08:33 PM, MilestoneRazor wrote: Quick note: I'm neutral on vegetarianism and all, but saying you do it for animal rights isn't gonna make a difference. It's like not using shit paper to prevent trees from being cut down, it's a moot point. Just my opinion, though.

Good thing I'm a vegan due to dietary reasons then.

Also, there's something so incredible about reading ingredients for things and seeing overly complicated names which you're not even sure if it's animal product or not.

F-E-A-R
F-E-A-R
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-04-07 08:09:27 Reply

At 4/6/09 11:21 PM, Sensationalism wrote: You can pretty easily find a list of ingredients to watch out for. I try to stay away from things with really complicated ingredients anyway, I feel a lot better eating things that are natural. I like to know what's going in.

Where? Personally, I end up eating things with complicated ingredients just because if I doubt, I'm stuck with a very limited selection of food.

hhcash
hhcash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-04-07 19:33:41 Reply

Lol, a lot of kinds of Pop-Tarts (particularly the one I've been eating for all my life, frosted brown sugar cinnamon) is vegan. I'm so surprised there's no milk.

I'm sure there are several kinds of Pop-Tarts with milk, so don't be risky.

eh.

BBS Signature
hhcash
hhcash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-04-08 16:46:24 Reply

At 4/8/09 04:12 AM, Sensationalism wrote:
Actually, I think you have to get the ones without frosting if you want it to be vegan. Last time I checked, there was gelatin or something in the frosting. It's been a while, so my info could be out of date.

I think you're right about the gelatin. I just didn't know, I feel REALLY stupid because it was just today that I found out gelatin was an animal product...

eh.

BBS Signature
hhcash
hhcash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-04-10 00:17:07 Reply

At 4/8/09 08:15 PM, Sensationalism wrote:
Haha, no more marshmallows for you :P

Psst, I hate marshmallows. Especially Peeps, they are just disgusting and filled with sugar I just literally feel my teeth rotting whenever I take a bite. It's even more un-vegetarian because THEY ARE SHAPED LIKE BUNNIES.

eh.

BBS Signature
hhcash
hhcash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-04-11 13:54:24 Reply

I'm eating veggie corn dogs for lunch right now. They're amazing!

eh.

BBS Signature
hhcash
hhcash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-04-11 18:16:20 Reply

At 4/11/09 02:54 PM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 4/11/09 01:54 PM, hhcash wrote: I'm eating veggie corn dogs for lunch right now. They're amazing!
With ketchup?

No, I hate ketchup. I might dip it in veggie chili one day.

eh.

BBS Signature