New Topic Respond to this Topic
kittenclock
kittenclock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-13 21:51:10 Reply

At 1/13/09 09:44 PM, shabbo wrote: Sorry ive neen gone, somone recently died in my family, so ive been trying to forget by play TES IV.
But im back

That's very javascript:MakeSmileySelection(18); sad. I wont be online these boards until I have a valid vegetarian thing to talk about.

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-14 06:33:46 Reply

chickens can pick out the prettisest person tin the room. lol

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-14 07:44:36 Reply

Woo, didn't know this place existed, would like to join, if possible.
I eat seafood so I'm not entirely vegetarian, hope that doesn't matter too much, I haven't eaten other animal meat the last 17 years.

Reasons why: It's uneconomical, growing animals takes up much more energy than growing plants. It's unneeded, in ancient days we ate anything we could to survive, now it's a matter of choice. It's unethical, animals are so cute/cuddly/fluffy/inteligent/enterother killpreventingpersonalityhere. Also, it's healthier, lack of meaty diet throws immune system to higher heights than ever before, reduces risks of cancer/other stuff and so on. Hmm, so Hello People!

Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-14 08:41:17 Reply

I feel trapping is a step in the right direction. People would start acting badly but there'd surely be a large market demand for humane traps, which wouldn't be hard to make and would probably make your meat better / fresher

Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-14 09:37:55 Reply

quite a good bunch of veggies here, I wouldn't have even noticed

we can orchestrate thread responses and the like too

Neptunus
Neptunus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-14 10:40:06 Reply

At 1/14/09 09:11 AM, Ejit wrote: Haha, cool, any chance of being able to see northern lights?

Yeah, definitely. I haven't seen 'em for a while, but there's a definite chance.

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-14 13:10:05 Reply

At 1/14/09 07:44 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Woo, didn't know this place existed, would like to join, if possible.
I eat seafood so I'm not entirely vegetarian, hope that doesn't matter too much, I haven't eaten other animal meat the last 17 years.

Reasons why: It's uneconomical, growing animals takes up much more energy than growing plants. It's unneeded, in ancient days we ate anything we could to survive, now it's a matter of choice. It's unethical, animals are so cute/cuddly/fluffy/inteligent/enterother killpreventingpersonalityhere. Also, it's healthier, lack of meaty diet throws immune system to higher heights than ever before, reduces risks of cancer/other stuff and so on. Hmm, so Hello People!

Yeah, pescetarians are welcome. I believe you would be our second. Gagsy was the first of her kind to join.

The last meat I ate before I stopped was chicken and turkey. First I stopped eating ham and then beef and then I was down to just chicken and turkey and one day I'm like, well I have birds as pets and I love birds, why am I eating them? As I became vegetarian, I learned more about Animal Rights and all the advantages of and reason for being vegan/vegetarian. So I started as meat eater, went to vegetarian or ovo vegetarian or lacto-ovo vegetarian and progessed to veganism from there. I 'd neve go back. But after I became vegetarin, I realised that I had always been one, I just hadn't realised it yet.

Bambi totally bothered me. so much so I never watched it again until years later when I forgot why, watched it, remembered, never to watch again lol. And my parents always had to pretty much make me eat my meat. They'd cut it up and put salt on it and be like "one more" or "two more" or whatever, but I didn't like eating it. I didn't make the connection between animal and food as a child and once I was old enough too, I like most others, had buried it so I could continue ignoring the connection. Now I can't separate the animal and its life from its death and the slab of meat it's now became. Without that ignorance, you have no protection. you know like you have self defenses that try to help you like denial and disassociation and redirection, and compensation, and all that? Well that's totally a defense mechanism to allow you to eat other living beings. Well, dead ones.

So without that, I imagine it's damn near impossible to be able to eat meat. But I dunno. I only know things from my experiences.

I hope I didn't ramble too much.

Peace and Love, guys!!!!

Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Unlimited-Access
Unlimited-Access
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-14 16:37:37 Reply

I know I couldn't be qualified for joining by now, but I have a question for whomever could answer.

What would you say would be a well-balanced vegetarian diet?

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-14 17:47:44 Reply

At 1/14/09 01:10 PM, Sensationalism wrote: Yeah, pescetarians are welcome. I believe you would be our second. Gagsy was the first of her kind to join.

NIce to see I'm unique, and thanks for the warm welcome.

Bambi totally bothered me. so much so I never watched it again until years later when I forgot why, watched it, remembered, never to watch again lol.

Heh, still haven't seen that movie, I suppose I should do sometime . . .

D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-14 19:49:03 Reply

At 1/14/09 04:37 PM, Unlimited-Access wrote: I know I couldn't be qualified for joining by now, but I have a question for whomever could answer.

What would you say would be a well-balanced vegetarian diet?

wait whoah, a mature question in the vegetarian club? inconceivable!

Rather than try to explain my diet, here's a food pyramid. If you'd like specifics, here's my normal/ideal daily meal:

Cereal and/or waffles and/or some eggs and milk for breakfast, with a banana.
Cheese pizza or something along those lines for lunch. I'm usually on my own for lunch, so I scavenge.
Just about anything, really, without meat for dinner. Common substitutes I use for meat are soy products, beans of some sort, lentils, peanut butter (PB&J sandwiches are vegan, by the way), or eggs/cheese. I'm not a strict vegetarian, i.e. i eat eggs and dairy, so my diet isn't that much different. A lot of people find that they eat a vegetarian meal or two without thinking about it.

And if you're curious about vegan diets, vegan food pyramid! And I'm sure Sens will be more than happy to discuss her diet and cooking habits. Vegan baking, by the way, is really good. I baked some vegan lemon cupcakes with one of my best friends, Lily (who is vegan), and they turned out really well.

Sportsboy
Sportsboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-14 21:58:52 Reply

you are all a bunch of faggots....except ear-fetish

Martha Wasington was a hip, hip, hip lady, man-Slater
Best Club Ever

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-14 22:11:56 Reply

At 1/14/09 09:58 PM, Sportsboy wrote: you are all a bunch of faggots....except ear-fetish

You jerk!!

BBS Signature
D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-14 22:51:43 Reply

At 1/14/09 09:58 PM, Sportsboy wrote: you are all a bunch of faggots....except ear-fetish

and you're a heterosexist.

Shabbo
Shabbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-14 23:10:27 Reply

At 1/13/09 09:49 PM, D3NTATUS wrote:
Good game. I'm more of a morrowind guy myself, ha ha ha. (there's less meat in morrowind, too!)

When my GF left my she took Morrowind with her :P.

BBS Signature
Neptunus
Neptunus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-16 02:51:51 Reply

This guy might be right, you guys. Maybe we're all actually homosexual! : O

Man, you learn something new every day.

TechFinch
TechFinch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-16 02:54:33 Reply

Hi guys. I recently stumbled onto this thread, and it's interesting to finally find some other "herbivores," so I thought I'd say hi. It'd be great if I could join your club.

I've been a vegetarian for about 11 years now... And a vegan for almost two years.

I was seven at the time I became a vegetarian. My dad told me about how he became a vegetarian, and I decided to do it too since he was doing it. My mom didn't like that, and I had to live in a house full of meat-eaters for about 9 years or so, haha.

Looking at it now, I could never eat meat. Just the very thought of eating meat gets me a little nauseous. I see meat and instantly make the connection that it used to be a living creature. I think while many people are aware that the meat they're eating was at one time alive, they don't make the full connection that that animal had the potential to love and be loved just like dogs, cats, etc. There's a disconnect there, because I'm sure it would be difficult for any dog lover to eat their dog.

Anyways, my dad and I are actually moving towards more raw food now, and I've been to a few raw food seminars in the past two years. Those things are fun. They're like modern-day hippy movements, without the drugs. lol

Neptunus
Neptunus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-16 02:56:02 Reply

At 1/16/09 02:51 AM, Shawtey wrote: I do not eat meat, I hate animals, I don't give a fuck about the environment or understand how not eating meat has anything to do with the environment

Well, y'know, as the environment is what keeps us alive (plants are great at this. If you didn't know, then without plants spewing out oxygen all the time and eating up carbon dioxide, we wouldn't exist : ] ), it is beneficial to the advancement and survival of this species that it remain intact. Are you a nihilist, perhaps? :D

I've never understood why you would stop eating something you like to save an animal that would have died regardless weather or not you ate it, everything dies.

Perfect justification to kill my annoying neighbor. After all, everything dies, right?

Neptunus
Neptunus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-16 03:01:06 Reply

At 1/16/09 02:54 AM, TechFinch wrote: Hi guys. I recently stumbled onto this thread, and it's interesting to finally find some other "herbivores," so I thought I'd say hi. It'd be great if I could join your club.

Welcome! Great to see you.

I've been a vegetarian for about 11 years now... And a vegan for almost two years.

:D

Looking at it now, I could never eat meat. Just the very thought of eating meat gets me a little nauseous. I see meat and instantly make the connection that it used to be a living creature. I think while many people are aware that the meat they're eating was at one time alive, they don't make the full connection that that animal had the potential to love and be loved just like dogs, cats, etc. There's a disconnect there, because I'm sure it would be difficult for any dog lover to eat their dog.

Yeah, exactly! I feel the same way when stumbling through the meat-section of our local store. It's nauseating.
Your point about the dog lovers is perfectly valid and I use it a lot when people confront me about my lifestyle. Everyone gets pretty uncomfortable when I ask them about what exactly the difference between a cuddly animal and a bovine is. Do the lives of cute animals have a higher value than those that are not? I managed to shut up an entire group of omnivores with that simple logic one day, and they couldn't manage a retort at all.

Anyways, my dad and I are actually moving towards more raw food now, and I've been to a few raw food seminars in the past two years. Those things are fun. They're like modern-day hippy movements, without the drugs. lol

Raw foods are excellent! I've been to a raw food potluck, it was great.

TechFinch
TechFinch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-16 03:07:54 Reply

At 1/16/09 02:51 AM, Shawtey wrote: I do not eat meat, I hate animals, I don't give a fuck about the environment or understand how not eating meat has anything to do with the environment

I've never understood why you would stop eating something you like to save an animal that would have died regardless weather or not you ate it, everything dies.

Well, why save anything then, right? There was no need to save Holocost victims during World War II... They would have died anyway.

That was a bit of an exaggeration, yes, but perhaps you can see the point?

Choosing to not eat meat can be a message to people that you don't support the way animals are treated, and that you don't like the concept of consuming the flesh of another living being. Many animals are treated badly on factory farms, and do need to be saved.

Animals do die eventually, yes, but what would be better;

Dying in a cage, never knowing what it's like to be free,
or
Dying after experiencing a life filled with freedom?

Some of those videos on the internet about factory farms and the way that animals are treated is disgusting. No one deserves to live a life in a cage, full of fear, human or animal.

Plus, there have been some studies that talk about how emotions like fear release chemicals into the animal's body, and those chemicals are still left in the meat when it's packaged and sent out.

I'm sure there's a difference between eating the meat of Bessy the cow, a cow who lived a happy and healthy life, and eating the meat of a cow who was scared all of it's life.

Anyways, giving up on saving something or someone because "they were going to die anyway" is a really weak philosophy.

Superman would never say that. :O

Oh, and I'm not an animal rights activist or anything, but I do love animals, and I can see why people would want to give up eating meat to stop supporting those companies, and the very idea of eating the flesh of another creature. It's gross.

TechFinch
TechFinch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-16 03:21:05 Reply

At 1/16/09 03:01 AM, Neptunus wrote:
At 1/16/09 02:54 AM, TechFinch wrote: Hi guys. I recently stumbled onto this thread, and it's interesting to finally find some other "herbivores," so I thought I'd say hi. It'd be great if I could join your club.
Welcome! Great to see you.

D
Yeah, exactly! I feel the same way when stumbling through the meat-section of our local store. It's nauseating.
Your point about the dog lovers is perfectly valid and I use it a lot when people confront me about my lifestyle. Everyone gets pretty uncomfortable when I ask them about what exactly the difference between a cuddly animal and a bovine is. Do the lives of cute animals have a higher value than those that are not? I managed to shut up an entire group of omnivores with that simple logic one day, and they couldn't manage a retort at all.

Thanks, nice to meetcha!

I had an interesting conversation with a few of my friends who happen to be Christians a few months ago. They come from a family that hunts and eats meat. Their justification to eating meat was that, "Animals don't have souls, and God put them here so we can eat them."

I won't get into the whole animals and souls thing, but those two comments really took me back.

The way I see it, whether animals really have souls or not, or whether souls are really what we think they are, if there indeed is a Creator, then the very least thing I could do is respect his/her's creation. Especially from a Christian perspective, the Bible talks about us being "stewards of the Earth," and as such, I doubt part of that job includes butchering the animals and consuming their flesh. Heck, we've obviously proven that you can survive without meat, and even thrive and feel healthier without it. I doubt the primary reason animals are here are so we can eat them.

Now, whether animals have souls or not, they do seem to have the potential to express love, just like we do. They feel emotions, just like we do. The whole "they don't have souls" thing really just seemed to be a weak justification for killing animals.

I highly doubt Jesus, if he was alive today, would go grab his 22 during hunting season and go shoot Bambi and his family.

Anyways, it was interesting to hear that from people who claim to be religious, and their very religion is all about love, kindness, and forgiveness. I don't remember reading that love is limited only to members of our own species.

TechFinch
TechFinch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-16 03:23:23 Reply

Forgot to comment on this part. :P

Raw foods rock! The biggest problem that my dad and I face with raw foods right now is the preparation it can take (depending on what you make). Raw food recipes that are quick are really appealing to us right now.

I really enjoy making smoothies, whether they're fruit smoothing, green smoothies, or a mix of both. I could go for one right now. :D

D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-17 00:56:54 Reply

At 1/16/09 11:16 PM, Shawtey wrote: would any of you eat this if it were given to you?

No, because meat tastes gross and it's bad for you. Why quit vegetarianism, if only for one meal? It's like cheating on your girlfriend or boyfriend.

also can someone please explain why not eating meat helps the environment, i've seen that posted in this topic multiple times, and the only explanation i;'ve seen is "plants release oxygen" which has nothing to do with eating meat or not eating meat

1. The corporations clear rainforests and shit like that to make room for grazing pastures.
2. Gas release by the animals (this can't be helped, obviously, but the huge number makes it more damaging).
3. Transportation of meat. You may argue that we transport vegetables. This is true. But meat is unnecessary for nutrition, so it's wasteful to transport an unnecessary meal.
4. The factories and shit.

overall the meat industry contributes like 20% of the atmosphere's pollutants, which is more than transportation.

TechFinch
TechFinch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-17 05:49:13 Reply

At 1/16/09 11:16 PM, Shawtey wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_beef#O riginal_kobe_beef

these cows are pampered, they live in open fields and do what they please, they drink sake and beer and given massages

would any of you eat this if it were given to you?

also can someone please explain why not eating meat helps the environment, i've seen that posted in this topic multiple times, and the only explanation i;'ve seen is "plants release oxygen" which has nothing to do with eating meat or not eating meat

Well, I don't eat meat just because the living (if you want to call it that) conditions the animals live through. Eating meat itself is simply disgusting to me, so no, I wouldn't eat that Kobe beef if it was given to me. That is interesting though, reading about how they treat those animals.

Choosing not to eat meat can help the environment because you're choosing to not support the companies that supply that meat.

If those companies stopped doing what they were doing, or even cleaned themselves up and changed their methods for the better, then the environment would benefit from it.

Here's an interesting article on factory farms and the pollution they create: Here

Here's another interesting article.

kittenclock
kittenclock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-21 20:03:01 Reply

Well there is the fact that they are treating them in cruel conditions, slaughtering without any thing to make the pain go away, not letting them be natural animals, cage them up for there whole life's. Plus some people just might not like the taste of meat, unlike you we just want a different lifestyle. So if want to post how you don't want to be a vegetarian, TAKE IT TO THE GENERAL FORUM.

wildface098
wildface098
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-21 21:08:29 Reply

all vegetables are fine with me but a vegetarian isn't enough to surprise me

Vegetarian: Eats Vegetables but eats meat with vegetables

Vegan: Eats only Vegetables

if you're a vegan that's surprising.
D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-21 23:19:39 Reply

At 1/21/09 09:08 PM, wildface098 wrote: all vegetables are fine with me but a vegetarian isn't enough to surprise me

Vegetarian: Eats Vegetables but eats meat with vegetables

Vegan: Eats only Vegetables

if you're a vegan that's surprising.

what are you even saying.

vegetarian: does not eat meat. may eat eggs or milk.

vegan: no animal products.

AniMetal
AniMetal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-21 23:21:13 Reply

At 1/21/09 11:19 PM, D3NTATUS wrote: vegan: no animal products.

Couldn't you technically be both a vegan and a cannibal at the same time?

Technically speaking.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature
Gendo
Gendo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-21 23:25:02 Reply

At 1/21/09 11:21 PM, AniMetal wrote: Couldn't you technically be both a vegan and a cannibal at the same time?

Technically speaking.

No.

Humans are also technically animals.

Christ.

AniMetal
AniMetal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-21 23:26:22 Reply

At 1/21/09 11:25 PM, Gendo wrote: Humans are also technically animals.

I was obviously joking.

Stop being so serious.

Pfft.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature
Gendo
Gendo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-21 23:28:40 Reply

At 1/21/09 11:26 PM, AniMetal wrote: I was obviously joking.

Stop being so serious.

Oh man, I sure got owned.

Better go cry.

NG Vegetarian Community