New Topic Respond to this Topic
Shabbo
Shabbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 22nd, 2008 @ 12:07 AM Reply

This club is for the vegetarians of Newgrounds, I became a vegetarian 16 years ago.
Just post how long youve been a veg. .
You can also sumbit recipes, maybe even pictures of the food.

BBS Signature
shityhead
shityhead
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 22nd, 2008 @ 12:46 AM Reply

i have been vegetarian since i was 7!! me>you

D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 22nd, 2008 @ 12:49 AM Reply

I went vegetarian... 2 months ago hahah. It's not quite as prestigious as 16 years, but I don't plan on ever eating meat again so I guess that counts for something.

FC-Thun-Fan
FC-Thun-Fan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 22nd, 2008 @ 03:44 AM Reply

All I'm gonna say for those who only just went vegi is: the temptation of meat was too strong for me.

ROOTS ROCK REGGAE

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 22nd, 2008 @ 03:48 AM Reply

At 11/22/08 01:10 AM, BlackTundra wrote: u guys are idiots

You choose to eat meat, they choose not to. It's that simple. Why do you need to act like a big man when it's just simply down to what each person prefers? Fuck off.

On that note, I'm a pescetarian. Am I welcome in? =(

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
caliber38
caliber38
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 22nd, 2008 @ 03:57 AM Reply

i've been vegetarian for 5 years.
i'll try to post as much as i can.
but please excuse me if i can't post, since i'm already in so many clubs, and the founder of one club.

my page+++++Pinoy club+++++
The C&C Regulars Lounge+++++
PROUD TO BE PINOY!

BBS Signature
Shabbo
Shabbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 23rd, 2008 @ 01:01 AM Reply

Thanks for joining everyone.
Hope this club stays alive.

BBS Signature
D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 23rd, 2008 @ 01:13 AM Reply

At 11/23/08 01:01 AM, shabbo wrote: Thanks for joining everyone.

Hopefully. So uh... why'd you guys go vegetarian? My reasons:

1. health
2. environment
3. animal rights
4. anti-capitalism (hah)
5. money (meat costs a lot, after all)
6. hell of cute girls are vegetarian

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 23rd, 2008 @ 07:09 AM Reply

I've been vegan for five years.

Reasons that I went veg:
1. Health
2. Taste
3. Animal rights

Reasons I stayed veg
1. Animal rights
2. Environment
3. Health

I'm gonna recommend a book to read. I really liked it and if I'd have read it when I first when vegan it would have been super helpful. It's called Vegan Freak by Bob and Jenna Torres. Check it out if you feel like it.

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Shabbo
Shabbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 23rd, 2008 @ 02:42 PM Reply

Reasons
:Vegetebles
:I love animals.
:WOLD YOU LIKE BEING EATEN?!

BBS Signature
D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 23rd, 2008 @ 02:51 PM Reply

At 11/23/08 07:09 AM, Sensationalism wrote: I've been vegan for five years.

Sens/Heather! I haven't seen you seen the glory days of the Revird (i was CleverNickname, if you've forgotten)

Shabbo
Shabbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 23rd, 2008 @ 02:54 PM Reply

At 11/23/08 02:51 PM, D3NTATUS wrote:
At 11/23/08 07:09 AM, Sensationalism wrote: I've been vegan for five years.
Sens/Heather! I haven't seen you seen the glory days of the Revird (i was CleverNickname, if you've forgotten)

Huh?

BBS Signature
Centurion-Ryan
Centurion-Ryan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 23rd, 2008 @ 02:55 PM Reply

I'm surprised nobody has trolled you guys yet.

Have fun with your stupid lifestyle choice.

My PSN: Obilisk745
"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."
Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature
Shabbo
Shabbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 23rd, 2008 @ 02:58 PM Reply

At 11/23/08 02:55 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: I'm surprised nobody has trolled you guys yet.

Have fun with your stupid lifestyle choice.

No blacktundra has.

BBS Signature
Shabbo
Shabbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 23rd, 2008 @ 03:00 PM Reply

but his post was deleted.

BBS Signature
D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 23rd, 2008 @ 03:04 PM Reply

At 11/23/08 02:54 PM, shabbo wrote: Huh?

I know Sensationalism from a forum years ago.

At 11/23/08 02:55 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: Have fun with your stupid lifestyle choice.

Fuck off, Ryan. We already discussed this in the Metal hell when I went vegetarian, no need to start it again.

Also, it's surprisingly difficult to argue against a vegetarian diet. Just throwing it out there.

Centurion-Ryan
Centurion-Ryan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 23rd, 2008 @ 03:08 PM Reply

At 11/23/08 03:04 PM, D3NTATUS wrote:
At 11/23/08 02:55 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: Have fun with your stupid lifestyle choice.
Fuck off, Ryan. We already discussed this in the Metal hell when I went vegetarian, no need to start it again.

You might want to read all of my previous post before saying something.

Also, it's surprisingly difficult to argue against a vegetarian diet. Just throwing it out there.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're doing it for any reason other than you don't like the taste of meat, you're an idiot.

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 23rd, 2008 @ 03:08 PM Reply

I don't want to join, but I'm not going to troll here. Just want to figure some things out from you guys.

At 11/23/08 01:13 AM, D3NTATUS wrote:
At 11/23/08 01:01 AM, shabbo wrote: Thanks for joining everyone.
Hopefully. So uh... why'd you guys go vegetarian? My reasons:

1. health

You do know that certain things that the body NEEDS only comes from things like meat right? Unless you are buying pills to fulfill these needs you might actually be hurting your health a little.

2. environment

I don't understand this one. If you meant you are saving animal lives if you don't eat them then you are wrong. They are already killed and shipped out whether you eat them or not.

3. animal rights

And yet you do understand that if you don't eat the animal someone else is going to right? The animal is already dead. And it's our right to eat an animal just as much as the animal has a right to eat a person. That's how things survive.

4. anti-capitalism (hah)

I don't get this. :/

5. money (meat costs a lot, after all)

I understand this. ^^

And hell of cute girls are meat eaters too. ;)

BBS Signature
D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 23rd, 2008 @ 03:10 PM Reply

At 11/23/08 03:08 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: As far as I'm concerned, if you're doing it for any reason other than you don't like the taste of meat, you're an idiot.

I don't like the taste of meat. Red meat actually disgusts me. And I'm not saying that to spite you, i really do hate the taste of meat.

But I'm also doing it because it's a shitload better for me than eating meat. As well as helping the environment and hurting the corrupt meat industry.

plus hell of babes mack on vegetarians.

Centurion-Ryan
Centurion-Ryan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 23rd, 2008 @ 03:12 PM Reply

At 11/23/08 03:10 PM, D3NTATUS wrote:
At 11/23/08 03:08 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: As far as I'm concerned, if you're doing it for any reason other than you don't like the taste of meat, you're an idiot.
I don't like the taste of meat. Red meat actually disgusts me. And I'm not saying that to spite you, i really do hate the taste of meat.

That's all the justification you need.

BBS Signature
Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 23rd, 2008 @ 03:15 PM Reply

At 11/23/08 03:08 PM, Corky52 wrote:

That was actually fairly logical.

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 23rd, 2008 @ 03:19 PM Reply

At 11/23/08 03:08 PM, Corky52 wrote:
1. health
You do know that certain things that the body NEEDS only comes from things like meat right? Unless you are buying pills to fulfill these needs you might actually be hurting your health a little.

Completely untrue. The only things you get from meat are cholesterol, protein, trans-fats and iron. Iron can be acquired from leafy green vegetables, as well as fortified cereals. Protein can be gotten from anything, as long as you pay attention. Nuts and lentils are really good sources of protein. As far as cholesterol and trans-fats, I'm pretty sure my body doesn't need those in great quantity.

2. environment
I don't understand this one. If you meant you are saving animal lives if you don't eat them then you are wrong. They are already killed and shipped out whether you eat them or not.

Factory farming contributes more of a carbon footprint than the world's transportation. I realize that my going vegetarian isn't going to offset all of the pollution, but at least I'm not supporting them with my money.

3. animal rights
And yet you do understand that if you don't eat the animal someone else is going to right? The animal is already dead. And it's our right to eat an animal just as much as the animal has a right to eat a person. That's how things survive.

It's a moral decision on my part. I don't care if other people eat meat, but I'm not comfortable with eating something that was at one point aware of its own existence. Furthermore, I believe that agricultural societies like ours have moved past eating meat.

4. anti-capitalism (hah)
I don't get this. :/

And you probably wont understand if I try to explain. The meat companies treat their workers poorly.

And hell of cute girls are meat eaters too. ;)

Haha true, but I've never met a girl whose rejected a guy because he wont eat meat. However, there are some people that don't want to date people that aren't vegetarian.

hhcash
hhcash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 23rd, 2008 @ 03:20 PM Reply

Being a vegan is pointless. Cows need to be milked. It's just like how humans need to pee.

Vegans, why are you vegans?

eh.

BBS Signature
gamerpeepinpa
gamerpeepinpa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 23rd, 2008 @ 03:22 PM Reply

I'm not joining, but i'd just like to agree with what Corky52 said.

I never really understood the whole "WOULD YOU LIKE BEING EATEN?" argument. It's a part of life, animals eat other animals. Sure no one likes to be eaten, but it's natural. If WE can't eat other animals, then other animals might as well not eat other animals.

hi

D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 23rd, 2008 @ 03:24 PM Reply

At 11/23/08 03:22 PM, gamerpeepinpa wrote: I never really understood the whole "WOULD YOU LIKE BEING EATEN?" argument. It's a part of life, animals eat other animals. Sure no one likes to be eaten, but it's natural. If WE can't eat other animals, then other animals might as well not eat other animals.

The problem that many people have with the consumption of meat is the way the animals are treated before being killed. Factory farm conditions are horrible.

However, it's hard for people to argue about the ethics of meat consumption, because feelings and morals are irrational and personal, rather than based on facts. Facts can augment or diminish feelings, but it really just comes down to personal choice, which is why I don't usually talk about the ethics of meat consumption versus vegetarianism. It's a lot like arguing against Christianity with a Christian; the Christian isn't going to have an "ah-hah" moment if they're a true Christian, so it's totally pointless.

Fro
Fro
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 23rd, 2008 @ 03:34 PM Reply

Vegetariandiets can be deficient in nutrients such as vitamin B12, vitamin D, calcium, iodine and omega-3 fatty acids.These deficiencies have potentially serious consequences, including anemia, rickets and cretinism in children, and osteomalacia and hypothyroidism in adults.

Anyway just incase you don't like the whole scientific proof thing you guys are telling me that you don't use/eat any of these things? Meat, poultry, seafood, eggs, dairy products, honey, fur, leather, wool, silk, gelatin, lanolin, rennet, whey, casein, beeswax, isinglass, and shellac.

Yes that even means jello since you would be eating animal parts there.

It is also a very dangerous diet for someone who is pregnant and going to have a child if they don't take the supplements that I talked about before and you told me it was bullshit. Since a child diet should be made up of mostly fat for brain and body development. That means these hot girls you are making are going to be developing very weak children. ;)

BBS Signature
gamerpeepinpa
gamerpeepinpa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 23rd, 2008 @ 03:35 PM Reply

At 11/23/08 03:24 PM, D3NTATUS wrote: The problem that many people have with the consumption of meat is the way the animals are treated before being killed. Factory farm conditions are horrible.

That's another thing. I understand the pain the animals would have to go through during processing, but if these animals were put in the wild, wouldn't being hunted down and torn apart by, say, a pack of wolves hurt just as bad?

hi

Shabbo
Shabbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 23rd, 2008 @ 03:50 PM Reply

Most people go vegan because they hate the way the animals are killed, and or treated.
I went vegan because its gross and the top two reasons.
So can everyone get along now.

BBS Signature
D3NTATUS
D3NTATUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 23rd, 2008 @ 03:58 PM Reply

At 11/23/08 03:34 PM, Corky52 wrote: Vegetariandiets can be deficient in nutrients such as vitamin B12, vitamin D, calcium, iodine and omega-3 fatty acids.These deficiencies have potentially serious consequences, including anemia, rickets and cretinism in children, and osteomalacia and hypothyroidism in adults.

Anyway just incase you don't like the whole scientific proof thing you guys are telling me that you don't use/eat any of these things? Meat, poultry, seafood, eggs, dairy products, honey, fur, leather, wool, silk, gelatin, lanolin, rennet, whey, casein, beeswax, isinglass, and shellac.

Yes that even means jello since you would be eating animal parts there.

You're reading about poorly planned vegetarian/vegan diets.

As far as that huge list:

Vegetarians don't eat: meat.

Vegans don't eat animal products, but not all are as gung-ho as that. Some vegans eat honey and use shellac, for example. A lot of vegans draw the line at insects.

To quote Wikipedia (which i see is what you're using) "Properly planned vegetarian diets have been found to satisfy the nutritional needs for all stages of life, and large-scale studies have shown vegetarianism to significantly lower risks of cancer, ischaemic heart disease, and other diseases."

It is also a very dangerous diet for someone who is pregnant and going to have a child if they don't take the supplements that I talked about before and you told me it was bullshit. Since a child diet should be made up of mostly fat for brain and body development. That means these hot girls you are making are going to be developing very weak children. ;)

I never said supplements are bullshit if you're a vegan; most vegans require some sort of supplement, whether it be a dietary pill or a fortified cereal. Vegetarians can still get fat from milk and eggs, assuming they are a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Also, "Nonetheless, well-balanced vegetarian and vegan diets can meet all these nutrient requirements and are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including during pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence."

The trick to a vegetarian diet, as you can see, is planning. As long as you make sure you're getting what you need, you'll be fine. When you add proper planning to the equation, all of your health arguments fall apart.

Centurion-Ryan
Centurion-Ryan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to NG Vegetarian Community Nov. 23rd, 2008 @ 04:54 PM Reply

At 11/23/08 03:58 PM, D3NTATUS wrote: and large-scale studies have shown vegetarianism to significantly lower risks of cancer, ischaemic heart disease, and other diseases."

Correlation does not imply causation.

BBS Signature