• 39,150 Replies
orb
orb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-10 22:39:03

I'm off tomorrow at 3 in the morning to another college visit. This time to NYU and Pratt. If I get access to a computer I'll let you guys know about them. See ya.

No more animated sigs. :(

BBS Signature
cheshirepus
cheshirepus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 00:56:28

At 11/10/05 12:48 PM, Daagah wrote: Self portrait.

Outstanding! But then, I'm quite biased when judging things like this...
Self portrait, huh? I can relate to that pretty well; I've been making lots of "self portraits" lately.
Great job though. I like abstract, especially the single leg.

Sikes
Sikes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 01:14:41

AGH, that is a gift right there. I want to be able to draw like that someday, but I can't shade or crosshatch to save my life, are there any suggestions you could give me?

I also want to say to daagah that your portrait depresses me and I'll probably sit in my room crying for the next two days. You have talent though. I like the sketchiness cause it makes me think of Squee and Nny and they make me happy. Yay Jhonen.

AAAAaaaaand Gunther, your picture is very pleasing to the eyes. Not the kind of thing I'd ever draw myself, but it is the kind of thing I'd like to have in my bedroom lit by a soft light or something. The colors are just... I dunno, I'm weird like that, but I really like that picture.

mualem
mualem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 04:05:22

http://www.portrait-..ading-explained.html

explore this site, it got much to offer.....

I don't think that i'll ever be good enougth to draw as good as agh either, I just don't get how people draw soo good.

hey AGH how long it took you to finish that drawing ?

Sikes
Sikes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 07:28:54

I'm suffering from boredom, but nothing eases my suffering like seeing someone else suffering too! So I drew this boy who's unhappy for an undetermined reason... Maybe I should have drawn him with a severed limb or something.

Newground Artist showcase thread

vonDark
vonDark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 08:33:10

Hello people
I just digitalized ivan the space man, andimated it and it's looking great so far.

some test
It includes added explosiveness and stuff.

It's a poster, just a poster

The image under this text is an attention grabber

vonDark
vonDark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 08:38:11

At 11/11/05 08:33 AM, SuperHaartufs wrote: sillyness about some russian in space

oh darn, imageshack won't show my flash file in 30 fps >: (

MethodMinus
MethodMinus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 09:14:28

At 11/10/05 10:39 PM, TwinsenDude wrote: I'm off tomorrow at 3 in the morning to another college visit. This time to NYU and Pratt. If I get access to a computer I'll let you guys know about them. See ya.

Why are you visiting colleges when you're only 16? And thats an odd combination of schools to look at...I mean, maybe you'd look at NYU and columbia or Pratt, Parsons, and School of Visual Arts...

Tystarr
Tystarr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 12:07:57

A lil Self portrait I never got around puttin in my profile. I look so young in my profile pic, it was taken when i was in junior high..I really gotta change it soon.

If you're not reading Twisted Comix what is your life about?
I'm published on NG! Buy "One Shot"!

BBS Signature
Tystarr
Tystarr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 12:14:40

At 11/10/05 10:39 PM, TwinsenDude wrote: I'm off tomorrow at 3 in the morning to another college visit. This time to NYU and Pratt. If I get access to a computer I'll let you guys know about them. See ya.

Oh, thats cool. On saturdays I go to this Career arts program in Manhattan where those schools and more came to visit us and told us what we needed to apply. Right now I'm definitely looking at SVA. Pratt looks a litte too artsy for me. I like more commercial work as in graphic design and toonz so School of Visual Arts seems better for me. Whatever school you choose goodluck 2 ya!

If you're not reading Twisted Comix what is your life about?
I'm published on NG! Buy "One Shot"!

BBS Signature
NecroScream
NecroScream
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 12:16:25

A chaotic drawing of the military fighting a submerged robot, which came form under the ground.

icecreamlock
icecreamlock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 12:27:16

9/10 reminds me of war of the worlds :D

liam
liam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 12:28:57

At 11/11/05 12:16 PM, NecroScream wrote: A chaotic drawing of the military fighting a submerged robot, which came form under the ground.

Very chaotic, but extremly cool. Great pic :)

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature
Leetsauce
Leetsauce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 14:50:38

Ahoy mateys,

I always like what I see in this topic, so I finally decided to post something of my own. Ive just recently started to draw and I started with simple things like hands >_>. Im hoping to start developing my own characters soon. Don't hurt me =D

Propell
Propell
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 14:57:44

At 11/11/05 02:50 PM, Leetsauce wrote: Ahoy mateys,

I always like what I see in this topic, so I finally decided to post something of my own. Ive just recently started to draw and I started with simple things like hands >_>. Im hoping to start developing my own characters soon. Don't hurt me =D

The one to the left is looking realy nice (: but the one to the right is very ugly ): and its only 4 fingers :S

Leetsauce
Leetsauce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 15:02:42

At 11/11/05 02:57 PM, Bloody_angle wrote:
The one to the left is looking realy nice (: but the one to the right is very ugly ): and its only 4 fingers :S

Thumb isn't a finger ;). Hehe, I know what you're saying. I never saw that before :X. I guess when I erased and redid that part I forgot a finger! Thanks for telling me =)

JParadox
JParadox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 16:38:26

mouse draw shasdhfhds

BBS Signature
AGH
AGH
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 20:11:06

Thanks to everyone who commented on the drawing. :D

At 11/10/05 10:51 AM, _Luis_ wrote:

Thanks for the contructive comments. I did have a bit of trouble with the lower teeth. I think if I did change just one tooth, it would be the second molar down on the right, it juts out just a bit too much. But as you said, I should leave something once it's signed.

At 11/10/05 10:58 AM, -Mogly- wrote: line in chin takes away from the realism, unless it a beard (although the guy looks to young to have a beard)
shoulders make it look less realistic
top of the head looks to much like straw as if he doesnt have a crown (not as in a kings crown, the bit in the middle of your head that the hair splits off from.

Thanks for some more criticism. Hmm... The line is part of a beard. If you look closely in the photo you can also see some highlights to where the beard extends below his chin. I drew them in at first, but couldn't get it to look right so chose to draw it over it as though it's an exact part of the shadow. The shoulders are the same shape as in the photo, kind of unusually sloped. I don't really know what to say about that. The top of the head had to be improvised... in all of the pictures of him I've seen where the top of his head is on a remotely similar angle there is pretty much just a rounded shape... you can see what I mean here: [link] So I made the choice to leave it sort of rounded and simple, and slightly shorter than the hair might actually be.

At 11/11/05 01:14 AM, Sikes wrote: AGH, that is a gift right there. I want to be able to draw like that someday, but I can't shade or crosshatch to save my life, are there any suggestions you could give me?

The link given by mualem looked pretty good, better than I could explain. Take a really good look at that site, as he said, there are a lot of helpful tutorials there. Good luck. :)

At 11/11/05 04:05 AM, mualem wrote: hey AGH how long it took you to finish that drawing ?

That took about 6 or 7 hours I think.

At 11/11/05 07:28 AM, Sikes wrote: I'm suffering from boredom, but nothing eases my suffering like seeing someone else suffering too! So I drew this boy who's unhappy for an undetermined reason... Maybe I should have drawn him with a severed limb or something.

I like that, especially the angle of his body.

cheshirepus
cheshirepus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 21:25:26

I don't know what really inspired this one, but I've drawn him before... just not in this style (which suits him rather well, I think).
I promise I'll post something different next time! I've got more of these, but I imagine ink wash could be getting old to look at here.

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 21:32:45

i really like your ink washes.. they have a very depressing quality to them. They remind me of the artwork that they use in those Scary Stories series of books. Anyways keep it up i think its a refreshing set of pieces amongst stem's robotic leg.. the screaming man... and other unmentionables.

-L

None

BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 22:33:25

At 11/11/05 09:25 PM, cheshirepus wrote: I promise I'll post something different next time! I've got more of these, but I imagine ink wash could be getting old to look at here.

That picture is wonderful. And the ink washes are far from getting old. Keep rolling them (or whatever else you can scrounge up) in.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
STEM
STEM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 22:43:08

At 11/11/05 09:32 PM, _Luis_ wrote: i really like your ink washes.. they have a very depressing quality to them. They remind me of the artwork that they use in those Scary Stories series of books. Anyways keep it up i think its a refreshing set of pieces amongst stem's robotic leg.. the screaming man... and other unmentionables.

-L

i was thinking about those stories as well, the first time he posted an ink wash. brings back memories of the 4th grade.

BBS Signature
Daagah
Daagah
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 22:43:54

Good night ._.

when life gives you lemons

BBS Signature
Buzzwerd
Buzzwerd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 23:39:45

I've started up a WonderBoy Music Vid. I hate how it screws with the dimensions, but DA was'nt working, so I used putfile. http://media.putfile.com/WonderBoy90

I feel the lip syncing is lacking, but this was my first attempt at matching words and stuff.

Hope you like it, I tried to add a heroic feel to it, you might not get it. I also added a singing flower in there for all ya.

BBS Signature
BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 23:50:42

At 11/11/05 11:39 PM, buzzwerd wrote: stuff.

Singing flower = :D

I think your mouse is backward though...

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
tux-do
tux-do
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 23:50:59

this is just a really quick scetches on my graphic drawing pad. I'm just trying it out, and I'm not really used to drawing on it.

JParadox
JParadox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-11 23:54:04

more mousewash garbage. this looks slightly better.

BBS Signature
Greedom
Greedom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-12 00:25:26

At 11/11/05 11:54 PM, -JParadox- wrote: more mousewash garbage. this looks slightly better.

I love it, keep it up friend!

cheshirepus
cheshirepus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-12 03:12:13

At 11/11/05 09:32 PM, _Luis_ wrote: i really like your ink washes.. they have a very depressing quality to them. They remind me of the artwork that they use in those Scary Stories series of books. Anyways keep it up i think its a refreshing set of pieces amongst stem's robotic leg.. the screaming man... and other unmentionables.

-L

Thank you, it's nice being able to create things that people find appealing... funny though, that they are all products of my own misery. I guess that makes me happy in a deluded kind of way. Whatever works I guess; Hell, I'm actually smiling about it as I type this right now!
And oh, do I remember those stories. Used to read them incessantly when I was in 4th grade, too. I didn't make the connection myself till last night. That's a huge compliment in its own right though... maybe one day I'll be that good.

At 11/11/05 11:54 PM, -JParadox- wrote:
more mousewash garbage. this looks slightly better.

Not garbage at all. I like contemporary things and that reminds me quite a bit of a lot of these really cool TV commercials that have been coming out recently where vector animation is superimposed over live action recordings... it's a lot of heavy cell shading and think outlines and detail in all the right places; It's simple as hell, but that's it needs to be. I'll bring up "Rejected" again to support that.

At 11/11/05 10:43 PM, Daagah wrote:
Good night ._.

Very nice! Anything with ink instantly gets my approval right now.

cheshirepus
cheshirepus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Newground Artist showcase thread 2005-11-12 03:35:44

Hey, apparently you can even use ink to write with too! Who'd have thought?

This was actually the practice piece I did before tackling the real thing, but it seemed to come out pretty well anyway. I need frisket (masking fluid) to do the "real" one, and I don't have any right now, so it's going to have to wait I guess.
The "relationship" this was inspired by is proving to be a wonderful source of inspiration indeed... now all I have to do is be miserable for the rest of my life and I can become a great artist! Yay!