00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Coheed23 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Universe Collab

51,319 Views | 1,015 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-20 08:17:15

Also, I improved the fog (made it a bit curly) and matched the sound with the frog's tongue.

"The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool." -Stephen King

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-20 08:25:24

At 7/20/09 08:16 AM, Archon68 wrote:
At 7/20/09 08:11 AM, mrty wrote: OK, tell me what you think of:
1- The suggested shading of mountains from 4urentertainment (I also removed the outline)
Either make it a little more gradual, or use a gradient. I really don't like 4ur's shading style.

2- The re-design of the frog (still flattened?)
Yeah. I think the problem is that you made all four legs part of the same shape. Make the front two a different shape, and shade them differently, and it should look alright.

3- The variety of the grass (some yellowish grass and new flowers added)
It's a good start, but by variety I also meant different shapes of grass. Make like five different shapes, then color, size, and scale them differently to make them look different.

Actually, I didn't really like it either. I think the old one was better, especially with removed outlines, believe me.

The frog will take some time, but it will turn out well.

I made the yellowish grass in kind of a different shape, barely noticable though, so I'll do as you say.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-20 10:54:46

At 7/20/09 08:25 AM, mrty wrote: Actually, I didn't really like it either. I think the old one was better, especially with removed outlines, believe me.

Ok

The frog will take some time, but it will turn out well.

Good

I made the yellowish grass in kind of a different shape, barely noticable though, so I'll do as you say.

Also, next time, safe your preview image as a .jpg and not a .gif. .gif files are for images with solid colors, so if you have a bunch of gradients it always comes out weird.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-20 12:01:21

At 7/20/09 10:54 AM, Archon68 wrote: Also, next time, safe your preview image as a .jpg and not a .gif. .gif files are for images with solid colors, so if you have a bunch of gradients it always comes out weird.

I do it probably because some image uploads (such as icons) require .gif images only, so everytime I save an image, I save it as .gif without pausing to think.

Also, I was once trying to upload a .JPG image to BBS (which is allowed), and an error showed up with the message "Your file must be a .GIF." Weird.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-20 14:21:34

At 7/20/09 08:16 AM, Archon68 wrote:
At 7/20/09 08:11 AM, mrty wrote: OK, tell me what you think of:
1- The suggested shading of mountains from 4urentertainment (I also removed the outline)
Either make it a little more gradual, or use a gradient. I really don't like 4ur's shading style.

I agree, it doesn't really work in this situation.

works for me though.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-21 13:27:33

By the way Archon, since all the parts are filled, do you have a release date in mind? I just hope it's not anytime soon.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-21 20:47:00

At 7/21/09 01:27 PM, mrty wrote: By the way Archon, since all the parts are filled, do you have a release date in mind? I just hope it's not anytime soon.

It's still whenever all the parts are done, I think I can trust you guys to get your parts done ASAP. I want good parts, not rushed ones.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-22 06:48:03

The frog should be fixed now.

I also added different shaped grass and some red ones (don't go "RED GRASS FTW", red grass does exist, it means the grass isn't producing much chlorophyll. Since that place is just wilderness, I thought that unhealthy grass would be suitable.).
Here's the page I learned it from, I was researching different colors of grass.

I also made the sky more reddish, and added nails to the first dino, but it looks a little crappy right now so I'll post an improved version another time.

The Universe Collab

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-22 10:14:09

At 7/22/09 06:48 AM, mrty wrote: Updated Part

Looking good, keep working on it!

I'm ready to post a swf preview of the first 5 seconds of my part. Opinions, please.

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/220709/3 6784_Urban_Decay_Step_2.php

(NOTE: Apparently the panning for the newspaper doesn't work properly... it works in Flash, but I'll have to remove it. That's why the newspaper only makes sounds for half the time it's moving.)

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-22 12:45:55

At 7/22/09 10:14 AM, Archon68 wrote:
At 7/22/09 06:48 AM, mrty wrote: Updated Part
Looking good, keep working on it!

I'm ready to post a swf preview of the first 5 seconds of my part. Opinions, please.

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/220709/3 6784_Urban_Decay_Step_2.php

(NOTE: Apparently the panning for the newspaper doesn't work properly... it works in Flash, but I'll have to remove it. That's why the newspaper only makes sounds for half the time it's moving.)

Hmmm, like you said, you need to either fix or remove the newspaper. I'd say don't remove it unless you have no other choice. If you manage to fix it, I'd suggest you make it slower, it's too fast. Some detail to the paper might be good as well (pictures etc.).

The second part is TOO dark in my opinion, I'd say make the pipes a little brighter, then it should be OK.

Other than that it's great. Keep it up!

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-22 12:47:03

Actually, nevermind the darkness thing I just said, because darkness is what sets the atmosphere.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-22 13:54:05

At 7/22/09 12:59 PM, chubbthehippo wrote:
At 7/22/09 06:48 AM, mrty wrote: I also added different shaped grass and some red ones (don't go "RED GRASS FTW", red grass does exist, it means the grass isn't producing much chlorophyll. Since that place is just wilderness, I thought that unhealthy grass would be suitable).
A red tinge to your grass could mean several things.
It just says a red tinge, I don't think it means completely red.

The sky is looking good though :).
were frogs alive back then? fuck were octopus's or crabs alive back then, gah need to check it up for my part lol.

I'll take another look at that grass thing, and yeah, I think the sky looks good, thanks.

I don't know what animals were alive back then, I did a google research but couldn't get any useful resources.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-22 14:51:46

Frogs didn't exist at that time, only million of years later they did.

BBS Signature

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-22 15:44:36

At 7/22/09 02:51 PM, MarsYam wrote: Frogs didn't exist at that time, only million of years later they did.

Goddammit, what am I gonna do now?

How do you know that, by the way? From school, or from some web page that I couldn't find despite all that research?

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-22 17:25:18

At 7/22/09 03:44 PM, mrty wrote:
At 7/22/09 02:51 PM, MarsYam wrote: Frogs didn't exist at that time, only million of years later they did.

How do you know that, by the way? From school, or from some web page that I couldn't find despite all that research?

Dude...that's basic evolutionary history. I'm pretty sure everyone knows that no frogs, or any of the animals we see today existed back then at the time of the dinosaurs.

But I don't think that's much of a problem. No one is going to be like "Cool animation, oh wait, there is a frog which did not existed by the time of the dinosaurs, I'm rating this 0!" Just leave it there.

And MarsYam, have you sent your dinosaur part to Archon yet? If you haven't please do, I don't want to see a part like that wasted.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-23 04:19:54

At 7/22/09 05:25 PM, 4urentertainment wrote:
At 7/22/09 03:44 PM, mrty wrote:

Dude...that's basic evolutionary history. I'm pretty sure everyone knows that no frogs, or any of the animals we see today existed back then at the time of the dinosaurs.

But I don't think that's much of a problem. No one is going to be like "Cool animation, oh wait, there is a frog which did not existed by the time of the dinosaurs, I'm rating this 0!" Just leave it there.

And MarsYam, have you sent your dinosaur part to Archon yet? If you haven't please do, I don't want to see a part like that wasted.

Well I don't know that, but if everyone knows it, I just wonder why nobody warned me before. So obviously, not everyone knows it, so I agree with you about that frog not being much of a problem.
I should have just done some research before starting this whole thing.

There ARE some assholes who vote 0 or deduct so much points just because of mistakes, but I think you know that better than me.

It might not be much of a big problem, but this collab is called Universe Collab, and it's subject is world's creation and evolution. So, what animals existed in which time, I think it's one of the most improtant issues. You are right though, I think I'll just leave it there, and won't make the same mistake next time. I'll consult Archon now.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-23 04:31:51

By the way 4ur, you still want MarsYam's part to be put in just because you didn't like my artwork? If so, I don't think putting another person's work near mine will change the way my movie looks or anything.

Or you don't want to see MarsYam's part wasted like you said?

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-23 07:08:29

At 7/23/09 04:31 AM, mrty wrote: By the way 4ur, you still want MarsYam's part to be put in just because you didn't like my artwork? If so, I don't think putting another person's work near mine will change the way my movie looks or anything.

It's not that, you're obviously improving on your artwork, if you just fix up that second scene with the other dinosaurs, then you're good to go.

I want MarsYam's part in as it was pretty good, and I think having a long 2 part(Your's and Mars's) dinosaur scene is better than having one part.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-23 11:11:25

At 7/23/09 07:08 AM, 4urentertainment wrote:
At 7/23/09 04:31 AM, mrty wrote: By the way 4ur, you still want MarsYam's part to be put in just because you didn't like my artwork? If so, I don't think putting another person's work near mine will change the way my movie looks or anything.
It's not that, you're obviously improving on your artwork, if you just fix up that second scene with the other dinosaurs, then you're good to go.

I want MarsYam's part in as it was pretty good, and I think having a long 2 part(Your's and Mars's) dinosaur scene is better than having one part.

It's really good to know I'm improving, thanks.

You are right about the combination thing, it will be much better. I'm going to PM MarsYam (since Archon is allowing it) and tell him about the situation.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-23 18:28:10

At 7/22/09 12:51 PM, chubbthehippo wrote: I sorta agree with mrty, theres too much of a contrast between the two scenes. But I think you should make the first one darker, not the second one lighter, to show the 'urban decay'.

Ok, I'll do that.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-23 18:44:24

Ok, I kinda "cheated" with the whole "making the first scene darker". Tell me if it looks good or not. I'll re-color the entire scene if it doesn't.

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/230709/6 7444_Urban_Decay_Filter_Test.php

I know, I know. The newspaper looks awful now (or, worse than before). I'm going to fix it. Just tell me what you think of the coloring.

The sound is still broken, too. :-P

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-23 19:00:17

At 7/23/09 06:44 PM, Archon68 wrote: Ok, I kinda "cheated" with the whole "making the first scene darker". Tell me if it looks good or not. I'll re-color the entire scene if it doesn't.

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/230709/6 7444_Urban_Decay_Filter_Test.php

I know, I know. The newspaper looks awful now (or, worse than before). I'm going to fix it. Just tell me what you think of the coloring.

The sound is still broken, too. :-P

I think it's pretty good. Only thing to change is to smooth that smoke in the second scene a bit more, that is if that scene will appear more than a few seconds, it's hardly noticeable anyway. How much is left anyway?

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-23 20:15:28

At 7/23/09 07:00 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: I think it's pretty good. Only thing to change is to smooth that smoke in the second scene a bit more, that is if that scene will appear more than a few seconds, it's hardly noticeable anyway. How much is left anyway?

No, it's only going to be for 1-2 seconds. I tried pretty hard to get the smoke right, and it's good enough for the amount of time it appears. I think it's only noticeable if you look at it for a long time, or watch it over and over again, very closely.

As for the rest of the movie, there'll be another scene showing "Urban Decay", then it'll go into some depressing stuff. A gunshot, a woman crying, a pool of blood, then a final view of the city with the music fading out and a police siren... siren-ing.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-23 20:27:09

Hey, I realize I'm just butting my head into this collab thread even though I'm not participating, but I have been looking at this thing over the months. That being said I really dig what you have going there, and the colour of that first shot is much better in the later update, much darker tones. As for the smoke, you do only see it for a short time but I agree in the fact that it is a little too sporadic. Just add a few extra frames and it should smooth out. Smoke is one of the hardest things to capture in animation, just remember it's smooth and organic in it's movement, not like it's source -fire- which IS sporadic and also a huge pain to animate =D
Anyways great job and good luck

Tim Allen+Santa Claus= A flash that doesn't have nearly enough views! Watch The Tim Allen!

BBS Signature

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-23 20:28:06

Open parts please?

Because I lost track of it at page 21 xD

No...I mean, the ones you are sure that aren't supposed to be done, meaning, parts of people you may have your doubts with, or people that haven't informed you in a long time etc....

And off course a review of the "official' open parts (Might have changed?)

I'm just checking out atm....Interested etc. I like drawing plants...and animals....nstuff...So yeh.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-24 02:08:31

At 7/23/09 08:15 PM, Archon68 wrote:
At 7/23/09 07:00 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: I think it's pretty good. Only thing to change is to smooth that smoke in the second scene a bit more, that is if that scene will appear more than a few seconds, it's hardly noticeable anyway. How much is left anyway?
No, it's only going to be for 1-2 seconds. I tried pretty hard to get the smoke right, and it's good enough for the amount of time it appears. I think it's only noticeable if you look at it for a long time, or watch it over and over again, very closely.

As for the rest of the movie, there'll be another scene showing "Urban Decay", then it'll go into some depressing stuff. A gunshot, a woman crying, a pool of blood, then a final view of the city with the music fading out and a police siren... siren-ing.

I like what you got going now. But try a blur effect on the smoke so it doesn't look so much more solid than the haze all around it. If that don't look right try a lower alpha for the smoke. With the blur you won't need to add more frames to the smoke animation because viewers won't be able to see each frame clearly--which is good in this case.

mrty, you are doing a lot better--I especially like the brown dirt you put under the grass. Good work. But you still have a shading problem. I will show you what I mean momentarily...

My dog shits on my keyboard.

BBS Signature

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-24 02:46:38

See the picture down below?
Just in the case you can't read the text on your screen it reads,

"Get rid of these
Drop Shadow Effects
and color them just
like the big mountains"

And at the top edge of the picture is a frog I just drew based on the photo next to it. Notice how the front legs cover the rear legs. I think this is what Archon wants you to fix because right now it looks like your frog has four front legs coming from his shoulders. By the way, I chose a tree frog photo because your frog has red eyes and so do tree frogs. Is that the kind of frog you were going for?

The Universe Collab

My dog shits on my keyboard.

BBS Signature

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-24 05:54:53

At 7/23/09 08:28 PM, GayForGirls wrote: Open parts please?

I don't think Acceptance of Science has been taken yet, I'm not sure though.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-24 06:10:40

At 7/24/09 02:46 AM, frameslinger wrote: See the picture down below?
Just in the case you can't read the text on your screen it reads,

"Get rid of these
Drop Shadow Effects
and color them just
like the big mountains"

And at the top edge of the picture is a frog I just drew based on the photo next to it. Notice how the front legs cover the rear legs. I think this is what Archon wants you to fix because right now it looks like your frog has four front legs coming from his shoulders. By the way, I chose a tree frog photo because your frog has red eyes and so do tree frogs. Is that the kind of frog you were going for?

Yeah, that was exactly what I was trying, thanks, but I still can't decide whether I should remove the frog or keep it. I asked Archon, he didn't respond yet. I think I'll remove it though, but I'll get rid of those shadow effects like you said.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-24 06:19:28

At 7/23/09 11:25 PM, chubbthehippo wrote: Crocodiles lived back then.

Also mrty, here are some pictures if you are going to replace the frog: prehistoric mammals, I did mammals because you already had dinosaurs in the bg, so a small sort of mammal could replace the frog without you having to redo the whole scene. But its not that big a deal, I don't think anyone will notice, but if you decide to change it.

I actually can't decide but I think I'll remove the frog (and the fly), because this collab is about history so one of the most important issues include which animal lived in which time period. If I make any mistakes about that, there will be a huge plot hole, and like 4ur said, many people should know about the evolution history, so there is a huge chance they will notice.

However, when I posted the first screenshot 2 weeks ago (which included the frog), nobody warned me about the frog being there until yesterday, despite all those people checking this thread everyday. So, the chances are like 50:50 I guess.

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a look.