New Topic Respond to this Topic
Hogarou
Hogarou
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
My First complete piece! Oct. 25th, 2008 @ 10:40 PM Reply

Hey guys! this is my FIRST PIECE OF ART that ive completed with my tablet :D im super happy with it cause i acutally coloured it andi almost never colour anything i do, so go ahead tell me what you think!

My First complete piece!

Hogarou
Hogarou
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to My First complete piece! Oct. 25th, 2008 @ 10:42 PM Reply

sorry for the double post, but since its resized from a large picture the quality is horrific :( BEAR WITH ME! :)

Glowstick-warroir
Glowstick-warroir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to My First complete piece! Oct. 25th, 2008 @ 11:52 PM Reply

I like it.

but... is it a murder? or a zombie hunter.

And, would eather of them really where sandles

ng submited art
I only miss spelled my name because I'm too cool for FireFox.

BBS Signature
Lilyvalley
Lilyvalley
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to My First complete piece! Oct. 26th, 2008 @ 05:02 AM Reply

I guess that's pretty awesome, but he looks kinda' weird. His waist is so thin compared to his huge chest. Also, he looks kinda' stiff.

I'm digging it, though.

Phenomenal idiots.

Steff
Steff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to My First complete piece! Oct. 26th, 2008 @ 06:01 AM Reply

It looks good.

BBS Signature
Chymo
Chymo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to My First complete piece! Oct. 26th, 2008 @ 07:10 AM Reply

At 10/25/08 11:52 PM, Glowstick-warroir wrote: I like it.

but... is it a murder? or a zombie hunter.

And, would eather of them really where sandles

I think it's an explorer. Pretty good but the anatomy is way off. You need to draw from references. Get some reference pics off the net, don't copy them, just use them to help. Take a photo of yourself in that pose. Use that as reference. The face looks fine, it's mostly the upperbody that's off. The arms and stomach, in particular. I think it's good that you are trying, and even paying attention to detail like the folds in the clothes (study how fabrics act against forces as well). Keep practicing. Good
tutorial for clothes. Human anatomy tutorials. These are a start, but in the future you might want to purchase an artistic anatomy book. I'll get a list of the best ones.

xShinobix99x
xShinobix99x
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to My First complete piece! Oct. 26th, 2008 @ 08:27 AM Reply

Why dose hes arms bend in 3 places? XD

Hogarou
Hogarou
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to My First complete piece! Oct. 26th, 2008 @ 11:59 AM Reply

thanks for the tips chymo :)

PubicTears
PubicTears
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to My First complete piece! Oct. 26th, 2008 @ 11:06 PM Reply

At 10/26/08 07:10 AM, Chymo wrote: Pretty good but the anatomy is way off.

Its a cartoon the anatomy doesnt have to be 100%.

I like it :)

Tianaman
Tianaman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to My First complete piece! Oct. 26th, 2008 @ 11:22 PM Reply

Agreed that the arms look weird with the inaccurate muscle anatomy, and the upper body is too long for the legs (or the legs are too short for the upper body... either or). Looking at your sketch, I think you deviated a bit. I also liked the direct look at the camera in the sketch more than the current finished product.

The shadows are spastic, and do not follow a point of reference for the lighting. Try drawing a temporary lightsource to help with placement of shadows.

A dark, shadowy environment would complete this. I am not feeling the gradiant background. I'm thinking of the inside of a decrepit building with a single lightbulb floating above the character... but that is just me...

Great job though. Don't mind the nitpicking, I just give my honest thoughts.

BBS Signature
Chymo
Chymo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to My First complete piece! Oct. 27th, 2008 @ 04:55 AM Reply

At 10/26/08 11:59 AM, Hogarou wrote: thanks for the tips chymo :)

No problem.

At 10/26/08 11:06 PM, PubicTears wrote: Its a cartoon the anatomy doesnt have to be 100%.

I know it doesn't have to be 100% accurate, but just because it's a cartoon, it doesn't exclude the fact that it still has some human anatomy. Maybe not as detailed as other types of art, but still.

Hellknight1000
Hellknight1000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to My First complete piece! Oct. 27th, 2008 @ 12:18 PM Reply

Very cool indeed. (It's like he's saying, "Oh by the way I found this." OMFG. XD)
I don't mind the coloring and shading in it. The arms are a little weird looking though.
And you may want to take references when drawing clothes, I'm not sure the pants are right.
But overall I think it's pretty good. Congrats on your first tablet piece! :D

At 10/27/08 04:55 AM, Chymo wrote:
At 10/26/08 11:06 PM, PubicTears wrote: Its a cartoon the anatomy doesnt have to be 100%.

In partial agreement. :\

I know it doesn't have to be 100% accurate, but just because it's a cartoon, it doesn't exclude the fact that it still has some human anatomy. Maybe not as detailed as other types of art, but still.

Agreed here. When you draw the structure of a character that you want to overlap with the detail, it's a good idea to draw it anatomically correct, and try to get it as accurate as you can.
Then when the structure is complete, you can try to play around with the detail and use extreme exaggeration on some traits. If you do this multiple times, it's amazing how many different characters you can come up with with one shape structure.
One character could have a huge chin, but a small head, and then using the same structure you can make another with an enormous head but a small chin, always using the structure as a guide to where to put things.
Just something you may want to try next time! :D

Choscura
Choscura
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to My First complete piece! Oct. 27th, 2008 @ 04:38 PM Reply

it's... like... a cheap hippy backpacker tourist- scum of the universe everywhere... but he's holding something dead without making is 'yucky' face (the same face they all make when talking about republicans, the war in iraq, and in many cases, sobriety). instead, he appears to be attempting to look hard-core, and to this end is chewing on a stick and scowling. he also appears to have his junior art kit in his backpack- no doubt bought by an 'understanding' mother or aunt- in addition to what looks like a snake. from context- it's in a bag, sticking straight out, no obvious signs of motion- we can only assume it is rubber.

all in all, I like it. well done.

:)

Kweaks
Kweaks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to My First complete piece! Oct. 27th, 2008 @ 05:01 PM Reply

Nice work man :D

"Kweaks is great, awesome, a genius and more." -Frameslinger.

BBS Signature