Peaceblossom
Peaceblossom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Reader
Cooking or Baking? Oct. 25th, 2008 @ 04:17 PM Reply

Hey, Newgrounds!

So I was having an intellectual discussion with my peers as to the ups and downs, benefits, and preferences of baking and cooking. To me it seems like most people prefer one or the other, although most everyone enjoys eating a good meal or a baked snack.

Personally I prefer to cook. It's much less exact and seems like it's overall more fun, and produces enough food for one or two good meals. Baking, on the other hand, requires a lot of recipe following, and a lot of skill to make up an original meal. The best part of baking is that it provides a good snack that will last up to a week.

I consider both to be an art form, although I'd consider cooking to be my domain.

Which do you prefer to do? Would you rather snack on pastries and cookies, or enjoy fine dining and a single good meal?

BBS Signature
ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 25th, 2008 @ 04:18 PM Reply

I hate both. I can't cook nor bake and last week, because of this, I ate some raw, chewy chicken.

Sic semper amicitia!!!
Ambient Music Club.
Sig by Illicit, thankies ^_^

BBS Signature
Truth
Truth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 25th, 2008 @ 04:20 PM Reply

i didn't know there was a difference between the two, and i learned something new today

Bacchanalian
Bacchanalian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 25th, 2008 @ 04:21 PM Reply

I prefer cooking. There seems to be a much more constant interaction when cooking than when baking... so as a form of recreation I prefer cooking. If I had to cook though. All that attention-giving would probably get frustrating.

BBS Signature
Serbian-terrorist
Serbian-terrorist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 25th, 2008 @ 04:24 PM Reply

I have problems cooking, I'm not gonna even mention the possible consequences of me baking...

Accept that some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.

BBS Signature
Peaceblossom
Peaceblossom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Reader
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 25th, 2008 @ 04:27 PM Reply

At 10/25/08 04:24 PM, Serbian-terrorist wrote: I have problems cooking, I'm not gonna even mention the possible consequences of me baking...

Well actually baking usually involves following instructions, so as long as you can read, you should at least be able to copy what others have done.

BBS Signature
ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 25th, 2008 @ 04:28 PM Reply

At 10/25/08 04:27 PM, Peaceblossom wrote:
At 10/25/08 04:24 PM, Serbian-terrorist wrote: I have problems cooking, I'm not gonna even mention the possible consequences of me baking...
Well actually baking usually involves following instructions, so as long as you can read, you should at least be able to copy what others have done.

When I cook, I follow indstructions too, that doesn't mean that I make decent food.

Sic semper amicitia!!!
Ambient Music Club.
Sig by Illicit, thankies ^_^

BBS Signature
Peaceblossom
Peaceblossom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Reader
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 25th, 2008 @ 04:32 PM Reply

At 10/25/08 04:28 PM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: When I cook, I follow indstructions too, that doesn't mean that I make decent food.

Well when I cook I tend to take ideas from others, like sauteing different veggies in different sauces, but I never follow any recipes exactly. You just start to get a feel for cooking as you do it more often. Baking seems work best when you do it exactly as they tell you to, and only that way.

BBS Signature
Bacchanalian
Bacchanalian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 25th, 2008 @ 04:33 PM Reply

You know what's good? A strawberry gram cracker brownie.

You make two thin batches of brownies. Pop one out of its pan. Layer as such

brownie
strawberry syrup
gram cracker
strawberry syrup
brownie

The heat it up a little more in the oven to soften/mix the gram cracker in. If you don't do this last step you'll have a hell of a time trying to cut it.

BBS Signature
saqwert
saqwert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 25th, 2008 @ 04:35 PM Reply

I'm incapable of either.

I say leave it to the women

Peaceblossom
Peaceblossom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Reader
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 25th, 2008 @ 04:37 PM Reply

At 10/25/08 04:35 PM, saqwert wrote: I'm incapable of either.

I say leave it to the women

I wouldn't trust a woman to cook a meal for me. I might eat their cookies though.

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 25th, 2008 @ 04:39 PM Reply

This is a nice topic to discuss this and that about. Baking and Cooking are meant to be fun, but baking is something that is fun within a group really. Bake a cake and eat it, what's more better. However cooking is fun as well, what could be better than to create something with other things and make a meal that you can actually eat. Then again it's fun to watch other people cook as well.

HAVE A NICE DAY!
:D

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
intosmithereens
intosmithereens
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 25th, 2008 @ 04:40 PM Reply

At 10/25/08 04:17 PM, Peaceblossom wrote:

Personally I prefer to cook. It's much less exact and seems like it's overall more fun, and produces enough food for one or two good meals. Baking, on the other hand, requires a lot of recipe following, and a lot of skill to make up an original meal. The best part of baking is that it provides a good snack that will last up to a week.

Me too, I'd rather make a pot of pasta than bake a cake. With cooking, you can just throw whatever in and if you're out of an ingredient, you can easily replace it. But not with baking, everything has to exact.

TheJamoke
TheJamoke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 25th, 2008 @ 04:43 PM Reply

I believe what you are trying to say is that cooking is more relaxed in terms of method, where one can basically free-hand the ingredients. Honestly, there isn't a single recipe that needs to be followed to it's exact specifications or else the whole thing is ruined. When it comes to cooking, one of the best secrets is that recipes are for chumps. You can really just start throwing handfulls of anything at a satoire and wing it and still come out with something totally delicious. A trained chef will do 99% of his cooking by eye, but always remembers to taste everything first- cardinal rule.

Baking, on the other hand, is more of a science than an art form. Baking is a field where being exact with your ingredients is crucial and one wrong miscalculation can mean disaster. It's closer to chemistry than it is to cooking, really. One must have knowledge of not just flavor interactions but also the relationships between various elements in the ingredients, as well as knowledge of proper methods and, most importantly, PATIENCE. I've see so many good cooks who can't bake for shit because they lack the most basic of baking skills, patience.

BBS Signature
solardave
solardave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 25th, 2008 @ 04:47 PM Reply

Because most of the time you have to be exact with baking I usually fuck it up. You tried about 4 times to make a half decent cake for my mothers birthday and then ended up buying one. It was fucking beautiful though.

So I like cooking more, alot less precision goes into it.

qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 25th, 2008 @ 04:56 PM Reply

I'm good with both, but not good enough to be a five-star chef, more of a five-star. But, I've never gone to a culinary arts school, it was hand-taught by my mom (baking) and dad (cooking).

BBS Signature
TheJamoke
TheJamoke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 25th, 2008 @ 05:00 PM Reply

At 10/25/08 04:39 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Baking and Cooking are meant to be fun...

COOKING IS MEANT TO BE THANKLESS, BACK-BREAKING LABOR THAT WEEDS OUT THE WEAK FROM THE REST OF THE PACK, AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT.

but baking is something that is fun within a group really. Bake a cake and eat it, what's more better.

I think you are confusing "baking" with "eating."

However cooking is fun as well, what could be better than to create something with other things and make a meal that you can actually eat. Then again it's fun to watch other people cook as well.

I hate spectators, and I'll fling hot clam chowder in the eyes of the looky-loos before I acquiesce to becoming a public spectacle.

At 10/25/08 04:47 PM, solardave wrote: Because most of the time you have to be exact with baking I usually fuck it up. You tried about 4 times to make a half decent cake for my mothers birthday and then ended up buying one. It was fucking beautiful though.

I'll tell you a little secret right now; even though when it come to cooking/baking nobody likes a "cheat," there is NO SHAME in buying pre-packaged cake mixes, for reals. In all the realm of baking, there is nothing easier to screw up than a cake, especially given the many many many varieties of cakes that there are. Honestly, just go out and buy a Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines. They spent many years and tons of money perfecting the cake recipe, adding food chemicals and enriched goodnesses, so that we could all enjoy cake's delicious pillowy goodness anytime. Take advantage of their hard work.
Despite 4 years in culinary school with a major in patisserie, to this day I will still use cake mixes over making one from scratch, unless it's a tremendously special occasion. And by "special occasion," I mean there had better be at least oral sex at some point in the evening. Otherwise, enjoy the Pillsbury.

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Artist
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 25th, 2008 @ 05:00 PM Reply

Cooking. I'm not very good at it but I can do some fairly decent stuff. Chicken with onions, peppers, spices and that. Not bad.

SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 25th, 2008 @ 05:03 PM Reply

I enjoy doing both....
Cooking some orientated chinese/japanese food

Baking and cooking isnt all that hard but finding the ingredients is =(

<3//Request a Review//Review Request Club // #10 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
greenfaerie4
greenfaerie4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 25th, 2008 @ 05:04 PM Reply

I enjoy doing both actually. Baking I think requires you to be more extact whereas with cooking you can be a little looser with your measurements. I have been told that I can do both well enough for some tasty results lol.

"Lulz is watching someone lose their mind at their computer 2,000 miles away while you chat with friends and laugh"

solardave
solardave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 25th, 2008 @ 05:05 PM Reply

At 10/25/08 05:00 PM, THEJamoke wrote:
At 10/25/08 04:47 PM, solardave wrote: Because most of the time you have to be exact with baking I usually fuck it up. You tried about 4 times to make a half decent cake for my mothers birthday and then ended up buying one. It was fucking beautiful though.
I'll tell you a little secret right now; even though when it come to cooking/baking nobody likes a "cheat," there is NO SHAME in buying pre-packaged cake mixes

I'm not ashamed, I just felt like trying, I haven't baked since school.

. And by "special occasion," I mean there had better be at least oral sex at some point in the evening.

I don't think this was an issue in my case.

Also I wrote my last post horrendously. The second sentence is horribly worded.

qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm

BBS Signature
Peaceblossom
Peaceblossom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Reader
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 26th, 2008 @ 02:27 AM Reply

At 10/25/08 05:04 PM, greenfaerie4 wrote: I enjoy doing both actually. Baking I think requires you to be more extact whereas with cooking you can be a little looser with your measurements. I have been told that I can do both well enough for some tasty results lol.

I never actually even enjoyed helping my mom or my grandmother bake. It was so unrewarding. Like they'll just hand you a 1 cup scoop, and say "Fill this with flour". So you do, you pour it in, and they take over. Overall you did nothing to help, and probably just made it take longer.

BBS Signature
Magical-Zorse
Magical-Zorse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Melancholy
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 26th, 2008 @ 02:30 AM Reply

Baking is better because it deals with pastries.

BBS Signature
TheNossinator
TheNossinator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Musician
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 26th, 2008 @ 02:34 AM Reply

There's a difference?

Well, if there is, I'd rather bake. You can bake cakes, right?

But as a life skill, I'd prefer to cook. You can't live on cake.

Toasty4you
Toasty4you
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 26th, 2008 @ 02:37 AM Reply

Well, I suck equally at both.

I just get my mom and sister to do everything for me.

NG's Useless One Liner-er (just kidding Evark, don't ban me :S)

BBS Signature
DELUCA2400
DELUCA2400
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 26th, 2008 @ 02:43 AM Reply

I find both of them to be therepuitic, but I'm going to have to go with baking since it's easier to do than cooking and cooking can be a bit stressful since you might need to cook 4 things seperate to make an entre and whe you're baking all you have to do is just throw stuff in a bowl mix it up, put it in a pan and throw it in the oven.

Zombified
Zombified
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 26th, 2008 @ 02:56 AM Reply

There's more possibilities with cooking in my opinion.

BBS Signature
Samen
Samen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 26th, 2008 @ 03:21 AM Reply

Isn't baking a type of cooking?

DELUCA2400
DELUCA2400
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 26th, 2008 @ 03:24 AM Reply

At 10/26/08 03:21 AM, Samen wrote: Isn't baking a type of cooking?

Yes but we're thinking of the sense of cooking meals (rissoto, steak, roast, ect.) and cooking deserts (cake, pie, ect.)

Maximus
Maximus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Cooking or Baking? Oct. 26th, 2008 @ 03:29 AM Reply

At 10/25/08 04:18 PM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: I hate both. I can't cook nor bake and last week, because of this, I ate some raw, chewy chicken.

Wow thats pretty desperate.

BBS Signature