New Topic Respond to this Topic
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Computer Construction Crew Mar. 21st, 2013 @ 08:58 PM Reply

Just got my new PC up and running. I'll probably post a pic tomorrow because why not.

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Computer Construction Crew Mar. 21st, 2013 @ 10:21 PM Reply

I am very happy with this result. This is the first time I've had even a mildly good PC for gaming.

Computer Construction Crew

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Apr. 12th, 2013 @ 11:22 PM Reply

So after seven years of loyal service, I'm finally retiring my old CPU and motherboard, because the CPU keeps overheating and I can't be bothered to fix/replace it, since the mobo is socket AM2 and who even makes that any more?

For now I'm getting an mITX board with on-board processor. Nothing fancy, dual core 1 GHz, but I mainly use this computer for media, browsing, etc, it's just hooked up to my TV. Eventually I'll probably get a new ATX mobo and processor so that I'm actually putting my huge ATX case to good use as a workstation or something, but for now I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a fix for a computer that I wasn't using for any intense tasks.

On the plus side, if I do decide to re-upgrade, I can use the mITX board for a side project. Maybe I'll gut a NES case and build myself a little media player box inside that. I gotta say, the small form-factor desktops really appeal to me and they're fun to build, but if I wanted to do something like CAD or CFD where I'd like, say, a hex-core processor, there's really no good mobo options in mITX form. Hopefully there will be some good AM3 socket options soon.

Tanadrine-Studios
Tanadrine-Studios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Animator
Response to Computer Construction Crew Apr. 18th, 2013 @ 06:47 AM Reply

At 12/8/12 07:08 PM, scoutthesoldier wrote: ... yes, you can make a computer for general use for $500-$700, the processor won't have to be Intel, which will be HALF of what your willing to pay for to build one, so that's good.

Question: Where are you purchasing parts from? My experience has always been the opposite: Buying the parts and building the computer has always been far less cost effective from my standpoint. I know in the past i've been able to purchase a computer without an operating system and just transfer the license to my new computer, but this won't be the case for my latest purchase decision.

Places I'm looking at:

Pricewatch (various vendors here)
Tigerdirect
Newegg
Frys

Tanadrine-Studios
Tanadrine-Studios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Animator
Response to Computer Construction Crew Apr. 18th, 2013 @ 11:17 AM Reply

Disregard my previous post... it shows how horribly outdated my PC knowledge is!

I managed to find a local store that offers parts at a good price.

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Apr. 21st, 2013 @ 06:42 PM Reply

At 4/18/13 11:17 AM, Tanadrine-Studios wrote: Disregard my previous post... it shows how horribly outdated my PC knowledge is!

I managed to find a local store that offers parts at a good price.

The other nice thing is being able to spend money on the areas that you actually care about. For example, I don't care much about having a high-performance video card since I don't play a lot of games, but I do care about lots of storage and having a quiet system. Pre-built systems are usually good value but also not exactly the thing that I want.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jul. 2nd, 2013 @ 11:28 AM Reply

Um...hi there.

I've been wanting to build my own rig for a while now, but I'm really clueless on where to start on that. Currently, I'm saving up cash, so hardware recommendations aren't really much of a concern right now.

I'm wondering about which hardware to get first, what I should know about the things I'm gonna buy, all the basics and general stuff about computer construction, essentially.

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jul. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:54 PM Reply

At 7/2/13 11:28 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote: Um...hi there.

I've been wanting to build my own rig for a while now, but I'm really clueless on where to start on that. Currently, I'm saving up cash, so hardware recommendations aren't really much of a concern right now.

I'm wondering about which hardware to get first, what I should know about the things I'm gonna buy, all the basics and general stuff about computer construction, essentially.

The first thing to know is that there's not much financial incentive to build your own computer unless you've got a specific purpose for it. There's plenty of cheap off-the shelf machines that are good for all-around use.

If you want some more advice, you'll need to let us know what you're planning on using it for, like gaming, workstation, media, or whatever. Then you can start making decisions on how to start building a system.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jul. 3rd, 2013 @ 11:15 AM Reply

At 7/2/13 08:54 PM, Elfer wrote: If you want some more advice, you'll need to let us know what you're planning on using it for, like gaming, workstation, media, or whatever. Then you can start making decisions on how to start building a system.

mainly gaming, and occasionally as a workstation.

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jul. 3rd, 2013 @ 09:30 PM Reply

At 7/3/13 11:15 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote: mainly gaming, and occasionally as a workstation.

To make sure we're on the same page here, when I say "workstation" I mean for processing-heavy tasks like CAD or simulations, mostly things that can take advantage of parallel processing. If the real heavy-duty task is gaming, then you're going to spend a decent chunk of money on your video card.

What about form factor? Have you looked at your different options there? I've done a couple of mini-ITX builds recently and they're pretty fun, but maybe not the easiest choice for a gaming rig, most people go with ATX for that.

FiendMachine
FiendMachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Game Developer

Depressed?Cool.Just put some party music and say GTFO to your sorrows

BBS Signature
Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Aug. 30th, 2013 @ 10:57 PM Reply

So as an extension of my yammering about small form factor, I ordered a raspberry pi today, which I'm going to try to use as an HTPC. Apparently it does swimmingly with 1080p video, so we'll see how it goes.

Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Computer Construction Crew Sep. 12th, 2013 @ 05:02 PM Reply

Gentlemen, this is a long-term dream computer I have and I want to know what you think.

I'm a guy who loves smooth gameplay, but also has a great appreciation for very fine detail. I'm also a network engineer, so having the ability to run multiple guest OS servers is very useful for experimenting and improving my professional life. I also make music, publish videos and are learning flash.

I won't be able to afford this all at once, so I've separated it down into "phases". This is the computer idea I've put together so far:

Starting Phase - £325
Owned:
PSU 450W
ASRock PC Tower
DVD Optical Drive
DVD-RW Optical Drive
136GB HDD
FDD
2GB RAM

Buying:
Motherboard - X79A-GD65 (8D) at £150 (approximately).
CPU - INTEL E5-2650 ES CPU LGA 2011 QA82 8Core 20MB 2.0GHz at £165 (approximately)
RAM - 4GB of DDR3 RAM at £10 (approximately)

Specs:
2GHz 4GB 136GB

PSU 450W
ASRock PC Tower
DVD-RW Optical Drive
136GB HDD
FDD
X79A-GD65 (8D)

Final Phase £10,000?
Buying:
Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition at £442.64 (approximately).
Two 3TB HDD
Three GTX Titan Graphic Cards
Eight 16GB RAM cards
Three 4K monitors
Some big-ass Asus tower
FDD

Final specs:
3.9GHz 128GB 6TB
Asus PC Tower
Three GTX Titan GPUs (SLI'd together)
Two BD-RW (C: & D:)
Two FDDs (A: & B:)

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Computer Construction Crew Sep. 12th, 2013 @ 05:05 PM Reply

I'm a fucking idiot. BD-RW should be (E: & F:) the HDDs will be (C: & D:).

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
scoutthesoldier
scoutthesoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Sep. 15th, 2013 @ 09:18 PM Reply

At 9/12/13 05:02 PM, Conal wrote: Final Phase £10,000?
Buying:
Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition at £442.64 (approximately).
Two 3TB HDD
Three GTX Titan Graphic Cards
Eight 16GB RAM cards
Three 4K monitors
Some big-ass Asus tower
FDD

Well, Congratulations, you have one hell of a computer.

That Scout is a Soldier!

BBS Signature
joshualatham
joshualatham
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Programmer
Response to Computer Construction Crew Sep. 18th, 2013 @ 05:07 AM Reply

Final specs:
3.9GHz 128GB 6TB
Asus PC Tower
Three GTX Titan GPUs (SLI'd together) $$$

Unless you want to run a super server. You do NOT need 128GB of RAM. It will be nearly impossible to use that amount. For a gaming PC you only need to have 8GB-16GB of RAM. 3 Titans? R U MAD!? For the price you'll have to pay to get this computer you'll have to spend thousands of Dollars/Pounds. When for around $800 you can build a PC that can do whatever you want with no problem. However, if you have $$$ to spare, go ahead! XD

Josh x

HaBzu
HaBzu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Sep. 18th, 2013 @ 04:54 PM Reply

Hey guys!
Im going to build a pc in a few days and i thought i might aswell get an input from you guys.
Iv done alot of research on parts and i have created the "ULTIMATE" budget gaming build for my self!
I live in England so the prices will most likely differ to you (Unless your in England aswell).
So anyways here is my part selection:
CPU-Intel core I5-3470
MOTHERBOARD-Asrock B75 PRO-3M (M-ATX)
RAM-Pny XLR8 2x4gb(8gb)
HDD-Seagate Barracuda 500GB
GPU-XFX Radeon 7950 DD
CASE-Fractal Design Define Mini
PSU-Corsair 430m Bronze certified
Pc part pickerList

So what do you guys think of the parts i have chosen?

Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Computer Construction Crew Sep. 19th, 2013 @ 05:22 PM Reply

I've got my first freelancer job tomorrow at 1800.

My client has Windows 8 installed (with Windows 7 desktop, lolwut?), it's connected to the internet.

The clock changes every 10 minutes, despite being synchronised to internet time. I'm also meant to check for viruses, but he has AVG.

Any heads up?

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Sep. 28th, 2013 @ 10:55 PM Reply

Right now my gaming desktop relying on fan cooling channels and large amount of copper heat sinks to reduce heats. Recently my gears wen so freaking hot and I had to remove the case cover and let an external fan blow off the heat.

Do you guys think I should consider on using other cooling methods? B/c I'm planning to transform this current machine to a server. Stuff like liquid cooling and heat pipe heard to be more efficiency, are they true?

The oppressed, instead of striving for liberation, tend themselves to become oppressors. — Paulo Freire

Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 19th, 2014 @ 08:37 PM Reply

Hey, guys. I've got a realistic plan for building my dream computer, considering I now have money practically falling from my ass hole.

I split up computer expenses into THREE segments. The reason for this is because there are three things that cost A LOT of money with computers.

Section 1:
Buying all of the essential computer components which will be in your final product.
This will be your case, fans, motherboard, CPU, CPU cooler, Hard Drive, PSU & RAM. It can be assumed that if you don't already have peripherals (mouse, keyboard, monitor, WiFi) that buy also buy those at this stage. Depending on how you install the OS, you may need a cheap optical drive, or just go ahead and buy a BR-RW.

This can come to a lot of money, but they must all be bought at the same time, this will enable you to have the bare-bones of the final project, a working computer. Make sure that everything you buy for the internal components is precisely in accordance with your final result (a CD-ROM for the OS is a cheap exception to this); for instance, if you have four RAM slots and you buy four 2 GB cards (totalling to 8GB) when your final result should have 16GB RAM, then you'll have to re-purchase your RAM. So you should buy 4GB ram cards, leaving the rest of the slots empty until you can afford to fill them.

For another example, my motherboard will have four RAM slots and I want a total of 32GB RAM, so of course I'll one at a time buy 8GB DDR3 1866MHz 240p DIMM cards.

Section 2:
All of these components can be bought individually, making improvements to your PC with every purchase.
This will be for your graphics cards. Just one card will make a huge improvement to your gaming experience. I plan on getting two of the same card, so the first card I buy needs to be the same as the second one I get further down the line.

This will also be for your expensive optical drive (BR-RW/Blu-ray ReWritable, for example), a second hard drive (if you want) and maybe a fancy keyboard and mouse. Depending on how crazy you go with these things, section 2 could end up being less than a quarter of what you spent getting the essentials.

I would also take this opportunity to buy a Solid State Drive, it's faster than a Hard Disk Drive. My theory is that if you have about 250GB as your "System C:" and a 3TB as your "Data D:" then your computer can access and load programs or system files with a bit more of an edge for speed, because of how fast it's able to read the data. You may also want a high-end sound card, if you're a producer. This would be the perfect time to get those upgrades, you've got the essentials ready.

Section 3:
Potentially the most expensive part of all, the display.
This will be for your monitors. Monitors can be extremely expensive, when you start getting into high resolution cards. 4k monitors can range to stupendous prices.

I'm hoping to buy a 2560x1600 monitor, instead of 1920x1080, but that will be a lot of money. Plus, I could get multiple monitors with these cards, so you might see yourself buying a few high-end displays. If you ever start looking into 4k, even 8k or 16k resolution, you're better off looking for projectors; they can be a few thousand dollars cheaper than a LCD, LED type screen.

This is the phase I'm hoping to have a 2560x1600 monitor and 1920x1080 TV.

But anyway.......

Here's my design plan. All of the prices are based on the cheapest sources I can find. I'm about halfway on my savings and halfway through planning. It's one of those things you want to spend a lot of time thinking on, have an absolutely solid and fault-proof plan, then wait another week until your absolutely sure, then keep thinking anyway, just encase. I've got a lot more things to add to the project, but this is as it stands:

Phase 1:
Case: SGC-5000-KKN1
3-pin casefans +12V x8
£100.99

Motherboard: 90MB0DR0-M0EAY5
ATX Power Connector (8-pin) +12V
EATX Power Connector (24-pin)
£177.56

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K MP Unlocked Quad-Core HT Haswell LGA-1150 Tray Processor
£228.53

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H80i
£81.95

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1866MHz
£64.69

HDD: 3+TB 7200+RPM SATA-III-6+GB/s Cache-64+
£70.00

Optical: DVD-RW SATA (temporary)
£13.46

PSU: 1200W
£87.41

£0.00 (Already got it)

WLAN: USB WiFi 150MBP/s
£0.00 (Already got it)

Keyboard: Serial
£0.00 (Already got it)

Mouse: Serial
£0.00 (Already got it)

Tablet: USB Bamboo Fun Tablet
£0.00 (Already got it)

Speakers: TV Surround Sound
£0.00 (Already got it)

-------------------------------------
Price: £824.59
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K MP Unlocked Quad-Core HT Haswell LGA-1150
Memory: 8GB 1866MHz DDR3
Storage: 3TB HDD 7200RPM SATA-III-6GB/s Cache-64MB (System C: & Data D:)
Network: 150MBP/s WiFi
Optical: DVD-RW (E:)

Phase 2: - Unfinished.
Graphics Card: Palit Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Smart Edition
1GB GDDR5 2560x1600 GPUEngine-736MHz Memory-3828MHz
£84.99

Bluetooth and SD devices: However much that costs.

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1866MHzs
£64.69

SSD: Solid State Drive of 250+GB, SATA 6+GB/s
This will take over as the system disk, for quicker access to system files and applications.

Price: £234.67
GPU: 1GB GDDR5 2560x1600 GPUEngine-736MHz Memory-3828MHz (x2 SLI'd)
Memory: 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 (x2 8GB)
Storage (SDD): *Undecided* (SYSTEM C:)
Storage (HDD): 3TB HDD 7200RPM SATA-III-6GB/s Cache-64MB (DATA D:)
Network: 150MBP/s WiFi
Optical: DVD-RW (E:)

I'm still planning everything else, but the very final result should be like this:

GPU: 1GB GDDR5 2560x1600 GPUEngine-736MHz Memory-3828MHz (x2 SLI'd)
Sound Card: *Something with great surround quality and producer abilities.*
Memory: 32GB 1866MHz DDR3 (x4 8GB)
Storage (SDD): 1TB 6+GB/s (SYSTEM C:)
Storage (HDD): 3TB HDD 7200RPM SATA-III-6GB/s Cache-64MB (DATA D:)
Network: 150+MBP/s WiFi
Optical: BR-RW (x2)
FDD: Floppy Cable or USB (x2) (A: & B:)
Monitor: 2560x1600 60fps
Monitor (TV) 1920x1080p 60fps
------------------------------------

Why two floppy disks? I make great use of them, especially since getting a 1990's electric organ. I can put loads of .mid files on a floppy and use it on the organ, like and interactive musical book I can store on my shelf to use between devices. Having 2 FDDs is handy for copying data from one to the other.

But anyway, what do you think of my plan? It's going to be set up in my room and I'll use the 1080p TV as a second monitor. My budget is going to be something like £1,300 max, so I'm really making the most of my IT knowledge to build everything with the right parts from the right sources. It's taking a long time to get all these special deals, but it's easy to spot them with a solid plan.

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 19th, 2014 @ 11:50 PM Reply

At 2/19/14 08:37 PM, Conal wrote: Hey, guys. I've got a realistic plan for building my dream computer, considering I now have money practically falling from my ass hole.

I've got two pennies to rub together as well, but am still wary of going too overboard. I'd love to keep my 500 watt PSU for a new rig, but I know it's too close a call, with an 8 core AMD CPU :p

Intel CPU's don't draw as much as AMD... no clue what your MB or vidya card(s) would draw. So, what's your power supply going to be? Just below a 1000 watts, I'd imagine? Go for the heavier PSU's, and definitely one with a rocker switch in the back.

Now building Vault 101, reverse engineered from yesterdays technology.

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 20th, 2014 @ 12:12 AM Reply

for power supplys the rule is 30% more than what the rig uses, in case of later upgrades or overclocking.

Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 20th, 2014 @ 01:12 AM Reply

I've just found a video about a computer which is freakishly similar to the one I'm building. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMRvz_IYSgM

It has the same motherboard and hard drive idea (SDD for system, HDD for storage). Except mine is water-cooled with a 3TB HDD and different graphics functionality.

At 2/19/14 11:50 PM, VicariousE wrote: Intel CPU's don't draw as much as AMD... no clue what your MB or vidya card(s) would draw. So, what's your power supply going to be? Just below a 1000 watts, I'd imagine? Go for the heavier PSU's, and definitely one with a rocker switch in the back.

I already said, "PSU: 1200W £87.41". This will come in handy for the crazy level of stuff I've got planned for it in months to come.

Also, having revised my finances; I might be able to start building this in just 3 months from now!

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 20th, 2014 @ 01:26 AM Reply

At 2/20/14 01:12 AM, Conal wrote: It has the same motherboard and hard drive idea (SDD for system, HDD for storage). Except mine is water-cooled with a 3TB HDD and different graphics functionality.

I've never farted around with water cooling systems, but have seen enough reviews to be slightly wary. Knock on silicon, I've never bought a defective electronic product yet. Bad/badly engineered water pumps for cars, yes.

I already said, "PSU: 1200W £87.41". This will come in handy for the crazy level of stuff I've got planned for it in months to come.

Whoops, long list you have there... should do nicely, but I'd be worried drawing over a kilowatt O_O at least there's some room to maneuver, down the road.

Also, having revised my finances; I might be able to start building this in just 3 months from now!

Looks like a fine build!

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 20th, 2014 @ 09:50 PM Reply

At 2/20/14 01:26 AM, VicariousE wrote: I've never farted around with water cooling systems, but have seen enough reviews to be slightly wary. Knock on silicon, I've never bought a defective electronic product yet. Bad/badly engineered water pumps for cars, yes.

Oh, they're really good. Think about it; they have fans at the back of the case to help system airflow, but the processor has a silent and very cold plate glued to it.

I'm actually getting the H100i now, instead of the H80i. The reason being is that both watercoolers are about the same price, except the H100i is much bigger and more efficient. My CM Storm Trooper case will be able to accommodate for it, so this seems like a sensible idea; spend no more, get much more.

Whoops, long list you have there... should do nicely, but I'd be worried drawing over a kilowatt O_O at least there's some room to maneuver, down the road.

I think the overall power consumption will be about 600W in phase one, then I start getting the graphics, extra memory and extra drives (FDDs, BR-RW) cards it will probably shoot up to 800W. So why do I want 1200W? Because I'll be going further, maxing out everything that the SABERTOOTH Z87 can do.

Shit, I'll be getting expensive networking cards and sound cards. My internet is about 50MB/s from the ISP, my LAN is about 100MB/s; so how would I benefit from an even faster LAN? Sending files from one computer to the other in less than a second! Home media sharing would be a blast.

Looks like a fine build!

Thaaanks. But this is only in theory, I may need to push it further along. But hey, it's worth getting excited about. I start with 8GB DDR3 1866MHz and an Intel Core i7-4770k overclocked to 4.8GHz!

This is going to be my motherboard, isn't she beautiful? :')

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 22nd, 2014 @ 06:01 AM Reply

At 2/20/14 09:50 PM, Conal wrote: Thaaanks. But this is only in theory, I may need to push it further along. But hey, it's worth getting excited about. I start with 8GB DDR3 1866MHz and an Intel Core i7-4770k overclocked to 4.8GHz!

I was looking over this thread a while ago, and noticed @elfer curious about the Pi pocket computer, which turns out to be about as good as the 11 y/o Dell laptop I'm currently using! And there's so much to catch up on, since I built my last rig in 2007.

(non-sequitur) And I've been using less than legit OS's since WIN98 came out... And now that I want to do things right, I've been told, once you install WIN7/8 on a HD for the first time, it pulls the serial number from the MB... and if the MB gets cooked, or you simply want to upgrade, you have to purchase another license to be legit... true?

This is going to be my motherboard, isn't she beautiful? :')

Sure looks to be! Best wishes on a bangin' build!

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 24th, 2014 @ 03:41 PM Reply

At 2/22/14 06:01 AM, VicariousE wrote: I was looking over this thread a while ago, and noticed @elfer curious about the Pi pocket computer, which turns out to be about as good as the 11 y/o Dell laptop I'm currently using! And there's so much to catch up on, since I built my last rig in 2007.

Is that the little square motherboard thingy? It was about as wide as the processor socket itself.

(non-sequitur) And I've been using less than legit OS's since WIN98 came out... And now that I want to do things right, I've been told, once you install WIN7/8 on a HD for the first time, it pulls the serial number from the MB... and if the MB gets cooked, or you simply want to upgrade, you have to purchase another license to be legit... true?

I have no idea. The TUF series motherboards (like the Sabertooth) have a 5 year warranty, so I think your licence is safe regardless, if Asus are that confident. That's if you're getting that board, of course.

Sure looks to be! Best wishes on a bangin' build!

Thanks! You too.

Also,

Here's my current old-banger of a rig. I've just discovered that you can actually route your wires behind the motherboard to help maintain a thermodynamically efficient system, the airflow is great. Overclocked by +600MHz and just 41C with the case open.

It would average around over 47C in BIOS, but now it's 40C (with the door shut). Those ribbon cables must really affect wind direction, so bare that in mind if you're struggling to keep it cool.

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 24th, 2014 @ 10:47 PM Reply

Foo, had to copy and paste, thanks to NG being down

At 2/24/14 03:41 PM, Conal wrote: Is that the little square motherboard thingy? It was about as wide as the processor socket itself.

Wild, isn't it? Last itme I farted around with electronics at such a basic level, was this thing.

I have no idea. The TUF series motherboards (like the Sabertooth) have a 5 year warranty, so I think your licence is safe regardless, if Asus are that confident. That's if you're getting that board, of course.

I'm still aiming for an Asus board (again; last one was a Socket 939), just not the one you're getting, sadly. Oh well, I guess I'll take a chance and actually spend some bucks on WIN7 Pro... it's on sale for less than 100$ on tigerdirect just now.

Here's my current old-banger of a rig. I've just discovered that you can actually route your wires behind the motherboard to help maintain a thermodynamically efficient system, the airflow is great. Overclocked by +600MHz and just 41C with the case open.

That was the thing that piqued my interest about your MB! I think they've had that design for a while now, but was kinda rare to find on a competitively priced MB before.

It would average around over 47C in BIOS, but now it's 40C (with the door shut). Those ribbon cables must really affect wind direction, so bare that in mind if you're struggling to keep it cool.

That much is certain... and if I'm going for a thirsty 125w, 8 chip AMD CPU... yeah, gotta be careful with a stock fan regardless. I'm going for the 4 GHz chip, and I can't see any reason why I'd overclock the bugger. Either way, I know I'll forget something when I place my order, so I might just go back and get a water cooler. Or I could just get a modular PSU right out of the gate... that would help some.

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 25th, 2014 @ 10:17 PM Reply

I have a question that I feel a little embarrassed to ask, but I wanted a second opinion.

Category 5 cable is about 100MHz, whereas Category 7 is 600MHz. I have a hole in the ceiling to pass fibre optics into my bedroom room, there is just enough room for one Ethernet cable to squeeze through the hole (and even then, I'll need to dismantle the RJ45 to fit it in). I want to have at least 3 Ethernet ports in my room, while being upgradable to 6.

My current (could be upgraded) integrated services router transmits about 100MHz per Ethernet port (there are 3 available with nothing to do). I want to utilize three 100MHz Ethernet ports from the ISR, but pass them down one wire, then split them back into three.

So here's my idea and I want your opinion on it:
If I connect 3 (very short) Cat5 cables into a Cat7 cable via a splitter, feed the Cat7 cable through the hole, then attach a 3-way splitter at the end, would I end up with three 100MHz Ethernet ports? My theory is that Cat7 would only be using half its possible bandwidth (300MHz of 600MHz).

To simplify:
3 Cat5 Ethernet 100MHz
*connected to
1 Cat7 Ethernet 600MHz
*split back into
3 Ethernet ports of 100MHz each

Is this an intelligent idea and should it work?

At 2/24/14 10:47 PM, VicariousE wrote: Foo, had to copy and paste, thanks to NG being down

It happened again. :(

Wild, isn't it? Last itme I farted around with electronics at such a basic level, was this thing.
I'm still aiming for an Asus board (again; last one was a Socket 939), just not the one you're getting, sadly. Oh well, I guess I'll take a chance and actually spend some bucks on WIN7 Pro... it's on sale for less than 100$ on tigerdirect just now.

Probably a good choice, Windows 8 needs more time to "settle in" with software developers and the like; but it doesn't look as disastrous as Vista, so it is future-proof.

That was the thing that piqued my interest about your MB! I think they've had that design for a while now, but was kinda rare to find on a competitively priced MB before.

My current old board might look like most of today's, but trust me, it's different. I upgrade the RAM with 2GB DDR2 at 667MHz, it is the ConRoe1333-D667 R1.0. It looks to me like a semi-low-range gaming motherboard from 2007, with several drawbacks. Namely the fact that the motherboard can support up to 4GB (without being quite able to address all of it).

On the plus side; it has 1 PCIe x16 slot, manual overclocking abilities in the BIOS and editable thermodynamic data. The BIOS also has CPU throttling and a boot failure guard, which is a lifesaver for making complicated mistakes. I've got 4 SATA II ports which don't support RAID or hot-swapping, an okay selection of processors (LGA 775, but no quad cores) and Wake-On-Lan.

It's not a "terrible" motherboard and there are so many expensive upgrades I could do, it's just not worth it. I need a new motherboard.

That much is certain... and if I'm going for a thirsty 125w, 8 chip AMD CPU... yeah, gotta be careful with a stock fan regardless. I'm going for the 4 GHz chip, and I can't see any reason why I'd overclock the bugger. Either way, I know I'll forget something when I place my order, so I might just go back and get a water cooler. Or I could just get a modular PSU right out of the gate... that would help some.

Overclocking and underclocking are things I would recommend to anyone, depending on the temperatures their computer reaches when going at a full 100% for long periods of time. Some modern systems will overclock dynamically, when more CPU power is needed for e certain application, but we're talking about old-school systems, when these methods were all DIY.

God, I can't wait for my future computer. I've updated the plans, with more to go. I need to label every single wire too. Better to be over-prepared than unprepared. Making specific plans also helps refine your knowledge in the subject, the only thing difficult to predict is the length of the cables you'll need internally.

Here's another picture of my current machine; cable management is important.

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 25th, 2014 @ 11:13 PM Reply

At 2/25/14 10:17 PM, Conal wrote: If I connect 3 (very short) Cat5 cables into a Cat7 cable via a splitter, feed the Cat7 cable through the hole, then attach a 3-way splitter at the end, would I end up with three 100MHz Ethernet ports? My theory is that Cat7 would only be using half its possible bandwidth (300MHz of 600MHz).

Well, I never did much network work, but I have two close friends who run cable, deal with crappy software, etc... Why three cables to begin with? Maybe run a cat7 wire down and split from there? I did plenty of audio work, and can tell you the less connectors, the better. And there is bleed from all types of cables; running three different cables carrying different signals can reduce the output of all of them! Weird fact: if you run a cat5 cable to your computer, and tape another length of cable right along side of it (unconnected bare wire, just along the cable itself), you can increase the throughput by double digits easy!

Is this an intelligent idea and should it work?

Yeah, it's a good idea for your situation, but it might over engineered, and may degrade the overall throughput. Guess it depends on how well insulated the cables are, but there will still be bleed.

At 2/24/14 10:47 PM, VicariousE wrote: I'm still aiming for an Asus board (again; last one was a Socket 939), just not the one you're getting, sadly. Oh well, I guess I'll take a chance and actually spend some bucks on WIN7 Pro... it's on sale for less than 100$ on tigerdirect just now.
Probably a good choice, Windows 8 needs more time to "settle in" with software developers and the like; but it doesn't look as disastrous as Vista, so it is future-proof.

Oh what fun a new OS will be... you'd think menu and control systems, would be nice and logical and streamlined by now. "The more they overtake the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." Engineer Scott, Star Trek III

My current old board might look like most of today's, but trust me, it's different. I upgrade the RAM with 2GB DDR2 at 667MHz, it is the ConRoe1333-D667 R1.0. It looks to me like a semi-low-range gaming motherboard from 2007, with several drawbacks. Namely the fact that the motherboard can support up to 4GB (without being quite able to address all of it).

Ha, what's looks? I've got stuff older than that, that looks about the same.

On the plus side; it has 1 PCIe x16 slot, manual overclocking abilities in the BIOS and editable thermodynamic data. The BIOS also has CPU throttling and a boot failure guard, which is a lifesaver for making complicated mistakes. I've got 4 SATA II ports which don't support RAID or hot-swapping, an okay selection of processors (LGA 775, but no quad cores) and Wake-On-Lan.

That's interesting.

It's not a "terrible" motherboard and there are so many expensive upgrades I could do, it's just not worth it. I need a new motherboard.

Agreed, though it would probably make a nice media center, you throw a half decent audio card in it.

Overclocking and underclocking are things I would recommend to anyone, depending on the temperatures their computer reaches when going at a full 100% for long periods of time. Some modern systems will overclock dynamically, when more CPU power is needed for e certain application, but we're talking about old-school systems, when these methods were all DIY.

That's why I was happy with Asus. The presets and manual ability to fettle with things really helped... that's why my crappy laptop's internal wifi G outclassed my sister's brand new wifi N laptop - settings to increase the latency, this, that, and other old timey radio settings.

God, I can't wait for my future computer. I've updated the plans, with more to go. I need to label every single wire too. Better to be over-prepared than unprepared. Making specific plans also helps refine your knowledge in the subject, the only thing difficult to predict is the length of the cables you'll need internally.

I know the feel. But back in 2007, it seemed a little easier to figure out a good rig for myself. Now that I got bucks to spend... there's a lot more variety in prices now, and it's a chore to find out where the Achilles heels are

Here's another picture of my current machine; cable management is important.

Damn, looks like a bare (but exceptionally tidy) cupboard! Onboard video?

BBS Signature