VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 37
Writer
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-02-24 22:47:00 Reply

Foo, had to copy and paste, thanks to NG being down

At 2/24/14 03:41 PM, Conal wrote: Is that the little square motherboard thingy? It was about as wide as the processor socket itself.

Wild, isn't it? Last itme I farted around with electronics at such a basic level, was this thing.

I have no idea. The TUF series motherboards (like the Sabertooth) have a 5 year warranty, so I think your licence is safe regardless, if Asus are that confident. That's if you're getting that board, of course.

I'm still aiming for an Asus board (again; last one was a Socket 939), just not the one you're getting, sadly. Oh well, I guess I'll take a chance and actually spend some bucks on WIN7 Pro... it's on sale for less than 100$ on tigerdirect just now.

Here's my current old-banger of a rig. I've just discovered that you can actually route your wires behind the motherboard to help maintain a thermodynamically efficient system, the airflow is great. Overclocked by +600MHz and just 41C with the case open.

That was the thing that piqued my interest about your MB! I think they've had that design for a while now, but was kinda rare to find on a competitively priced MB before.

It would average around over 47C in BIOS, but now it's 40C (with the door shut). Those ribbon cables must really affect wind direction, so bare that in mind if you're struggling to keep it cool.

That much is certain... and if I'm going for a thirsty 125w, 8 chip AMD CPU... yeah, gotta be careful with a stock fan regardless. I'm going for the 4 GHz chip, and I can't see any reason why I'd overclock the bugger. Either way, I know I'll forget something when I place my order, so I might just go back and get a water cooler. Or I could just get a modular PSU right out of the gate... that would help some.

Now building Vault 101, soon to include useful and concise podcasts, maybe.
If I'm not here, you can find me peeling caps on GTA: Online, gamertag: VicariousE

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-02-25 22:17:20 Reply

I have a question that I feel a little embarrassed to ask, but I wanted a second opinion.

Category 5 cable is about 100MHz, whereas Category 7 is 600MHz. I have a hole in the ceiling to pass fibre optics into my bedroom room, there is just enough room for one Ethernet cable to squeeze through the hole (and even then, I'll need to dismantle the RJ45 to fit it in). I want to have at least 3 Ethernet ports in my room, while being upgradable to 6.

My current (could be upgraded) integrated services router transmits about 100MHz per Ethernet port (there are 3 available with nothing to do). I want to utilize three 100MHz Ethernet ports from the ISR, but pass them down one wire, then split them back into three.

So here's my idea and I want your opinion on it:
If I connect 3 (very short) Cat5 cables into a Cat7 cable via a splitter, feed the Cat7 cable through the hole, then attach a 3-way splitter at the end, would I end up with three 100MHz Ethernet ports? My theory is that Cat7 would only be using half its possible bandwidth (300MHz of 600MHz).

To simplify:
3 Cat5 Ethernet 100MHz
*connected to
1 Cat7 Ethernet 600MHz
*split back into
3 Ethernet ports of 100MHz each

Is this an intelligent idea and should it work?

At 2/24/14 10:47 PM, VicariousE wrote: Foo, had to copy and paste, thanks to NG being down

It happened again. :(

Wild, isn't it? Last itme I farted around with electronics at such a basic level, was this thing.
I'm still aiming for an Asus board (again; last one was a Socket 939), just not the one you're getting, sadly. Oh well, I guess I'll take a chance and actually spend some bucks on WIN7 Pro... it's on sale for less than 100$ on tigerdirect just now.

Probably a good choice, Windows 8 needs more time to "settle in" with software developers and the like; but it doesn't look as disastrous as Vista, so it is future-proof.

That was the thing that piqued my interest about your MB! I think they've had that design for a while now, but was kinda rare to find on a competitively priced MB before.

My current old board might look like most of today's, but trust me, it's different. I upgrade the RAM with 2GB DDR2 at 667MHz, it is the ConRoe1333-D667 R1.0. It looks to me like a semi-low-range gaming motherboard from 2007, with several drawbacks. Namely the fact that the motherboard can support up to 4GB (without being quite able to address all of it).

On the plus side; it has 1 PCIe x16 slot, manual overclocking abilities in the BIOS and editable thermodynamic data. The BIOS also has CPU throttling and a boot failure guard, which is a lifesaver for making complicated mistakes. I've got 4 SATA II ports which don't support RAID or hot-swapping, an okay selection of processors (LGA 775, but no quad cores) and Wake-On-Lan.

It's not a "terrible" motherboard and there are so many expensive upgrades I could do, it's just not worth it. I need a new motherboard.

That much is certain... and if I'm going for a thirsty 125w, 8 chip AMD CPU... yeah, gotta be careful with a stock fan regardless. I'm going for the 4 GHz chip, and I can't see any reason why I'd overclock the bugger. Either way, I know I'll forget something when I place my order, so I might just go back and get a water cooler. Or I could just get a modular PSU right out of the gate... that would help some.

Overclocking and underclocking are things I would recommend to anyone, depending on the temperatures their computer reaches when going at a full 100% for long periods of time. Some modern systems will overclock dynamically, when more CPU power is needed for e certain application, but we're talking about old-school systems, when these methods were all DIY.

God, I can't wait for my future computer. I've updated the plans, with more to go. I need to label every single wire too. Better to be over-prepared than unprepared. Making specific plans also helps refine your knowledge in the subject, the only thing difficult to predict is the length of the cables you'll need internally.

Here's another picture of my current machine; cable management is important.

Computer Construction Crew

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 37
Writer
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-02-25 23:13:55 Reply

At 2/25/14 10:17 PM, Conal wrote: If I connect 3 (very short) Cat5 cables into a Cat7 cable via a splitter, feed the Cat7 cable through the hole, then attach a 3-way splitter at the end, would I end up with three 100MHz Ethernet ports? My theory is that Cat7 would only be using half its possible bandwidth (300MHz of 600MHz).

Well, I never did much network work, but I have two close friends who run cable, deal with crappy software, etc... Why three cables to begin with? Maybe run a cat7 wire down and split from there? I did plenty of audio work, and can tell you the less connectors, the better. And there is bleed from all types of cables; running three different cables carrying different signals can reduce the output of all of them! Weird fact: if you run a cat5 cable to your computer, and tape another length of cable right along side of it (unconnected bare wire, just along the cable itself), you can increase the throughput by double digits easy!

Is this an intelligent idea and should it work?

Yeah, it's a good idea for your situation, but it might over engineered, and may degrade the overall throughput. Guess it depends on how well insulated the cables are, but there will still be bleed.

At 2/24/14 10:47 PM, VicariousE wrote: I'm still aiming for an Asus board (again; last one was a Socket 939), just not the one you're getting, sadly. Oh well, I guess I'll take a chance and actually spend some bucks on WIN7 Pro... it's on sale for less than 100$ on tigerdirect just now.
Probably a good choice, Windows 8 needs more time to "settle in" with software developers and the like; but it doesn't look as disastrous as Vista, so it is future-proof.

Oh what fun a new OS will be... you'd think menu and control systems, would be nice and logical and streamlined by now. "The more they overtake the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." Engineer Scott, Star Trek III

My current old board might look like most of today's, but trust me, it's different. I upgrade the RAM with 2GB DDR2 at 667MHz, it is the ConRoe1333-D667 R1.0. It looks to me like a semi-low-range gaming motherboard from 2007, with several drawbacks. Namely the fact that the motherboard can support up to 4GB (without being quite able to address all of it).

Ha, what's looks? I've got stuff older than that, that looks about the same.

On the plus side; it has 1 PCIe x16 slot, manual overclocking abilities in the BIOS and editable thermodynamic data. The BIOS also has CPU throttling and a boot failure guard, which is a lifesaver for making complicated mistakes. I've got 4 SATA II ports which don't support RAID or hot-swapping, an okay selection of processors (LGA 775, but no quad cores) and Wake-On-Lan.

That's interesting.

It's not a "terrible" motherboard and there are so many expensive upgrades I could do, it's just not worth it. I need a new motherboard.

Agreed, though it would probably make a nice media center, you throw a half decent audio card in it.

Overclocking and underclocking are things I would recommend to anyone, depending on the temperatures their computer reaches when going at a full 100% for long periods of time. Some modern systems will overclock dynamically, when more CPU power is needed for e certain application, but we're talking about old-school systems, when these methods were all DIY.

That's why I was happy with Asus. The presets and manual ability to fettle with things really helped... that's why my crappy laptop's internal wifi G outclassed my sister's brand new wifi N laptop - settings to increase the latency, this, that, and other old timey radio settings.

God, I can't wait for my future computer. I've updated the plans, with more to go. I need to label every single wire too. Better to be over-prepared than unprepared. Making specific plans also helps refine your knowledge in the subject, the only thing difficult to predict is the length of the cables you'll need internally.

I know the feel. But back in 2007, it seemed a little easier to figure out a good rig for myself. Now that I got bucks to spend... there's a lot more variety in prices now, and it's a chore to find out where the Achilles heels are

Here's another picture of my current machine; cable management is important.

Damn, looks like a bare (but exceptionally tidy) cupboard! Onboard video?

If I'm not here, you can find me peeling caps on GTA: Online, gamertag: VicariousE

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-02-26 10:49:30 Reply

So having used cyberpowersystems.co.uk twice for my 'gaming' PCs, and having been severely disappointed twice, I'm finally going past the dumb caution of not wanting to build my own machine because I don't know how and throwing budgets out the window now I have a steady job.

So I just wanted to list the parts I plan on purchasing to put together and wanted to get some opinions from you guys.

I've worked it out to be cheapest at around £850.

Motherboard
MSI Z87-MPOWER-MAX

CPU
Intel Core i5 4670 Quad Core

RAM
8GB

GPU
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Lightning Edition

PSU
Corsair Builder Series 750W

I also plan on getting a pair of Dell UltraSharp U2414H 23.8 inch monitors after I've got the components.

I have the tower and RAM already and possibly a good enough motherboard but it's currently being repaired from water damage so I can't remember what it was.

I may need to invest in a new tower anyway considering the insane size of the Lightning Edition.

Anyway, some feedback from you guys more in the know of computer components would be much appreciated. I'll be buying it piece by piece too so if any of you have any experience doing that and what I might need to be aware of that'd be cool.

VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 37
Writer
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-02-27 03:31:12 Reply

At 2/26/14 10:49 AM, Snuff wrote: I've worked it out to be cheapest at around £850.

That's a lot of clams in America!

RAM
8GB

I'm not much good on Intel builds, but what kind of memory? Sounds like it could be a potential choke-point for overall speed.. depends on the MB, mainly.

GPU
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Lightning Edition

I guess this is where the most clams go.... how many GB of memory?

I also plan on getting a pair of Dell UltraSharp U2414H 23.8 inch monitors after I've got the components.

Have an application in mind? I figure I only look out one window at a time, so...

I have the tower and RAM already and possibly a good enough motherboard but it's currently being repaired from water damage so I can't remember what it was.

My condolences on the awful floods in the UK recently. I wonder what can be done to save a soggy MB?

I may need to invest in a new tower anyway considering the insane size of the Lightning Edition.

Time to bust out the ruler!

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-02-27 09:48:56 Reply

At 2/27/14 03:31 AM, VicariousE wrote:
That's a lot of clams in America!

Lot of clams in the UK too buddy

I'm not much good on Intel builds, but what kind of memory? Sounds like it could be a potential choke-point for overall speed.. depends on the MB, mainly.

It's DDR3 if that's what you're referring to. It isn't particularly high end as far as I can tell but it's served me well so far.

I guess this is where the most clams go.... how many GB of memory?

It's 3GB iirc. And costs about £400 give or take.

Have an application in mind? I figure I only look out one window at a time, so...

Nah man I just can't live without dual monitors.

My condolences on the awful floods in the UK recently. I wonder what can be done to save a soggy MB?

Oh no it was my girlfriend spilling a glass of water on it. The floods weren't so bad that they invaded my PC don't worry.

Thanks for your help though man

Witch
Witch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Reader
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-03-01 00:30:13 Reply

Hey, guys. I have an upcoming birthday which means I'll have some spare cash.

I had the idea of building a dedicated desktop computer for music production. Obviously this means my priorities are processing speed, a good sound card, and to a lesser extent RAM. I have a basic knowledge of computers but nothing too in-depth in terms of hardware.

Could I get a ballpark figure of how much this is likely to cost? And if you can help me out in any other way, that would be great.

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-03-10 20:27:15 Reply

After much consideration; I have decided that I'm going to get the Asus Mars 760 as the graphics card for my upcoming build.

The manufacture said it's 20% cooler than the other 760.

Get it? :3 Hurhruheruehru

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Programmer
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-03-18 15:48:15 Reply

hey guys I am starting to save money up for my Rig, I'll be saving 500 a month till I have enough to afford it. after that I plan on building a server with a standard 19' 45 Unit rack. I plan on using 4U units (because they have additional fans for cooling). my loadout for the server will be Intel Xenon processors. after I buy the frame rack each unit will cost 1300 I am planning on building 8 units.

thoughts?

AD BLOCKER | SCRIPT BLOCKER | ACM | CNET | TOM'S HARDWARE
For all you IT news and support.

BBS Signature
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 37
Writer
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-04-14 09:33:23 Reply

At 3/18/14 03:48 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: hey guys I am starting to save money up for my Rig, I'll be saving 500 a month till I have enough to afford it. after that I plan on building a server with a standard 19' 45 Unit rack. I plan on using 4U units (because they have additional fans for cooling). my loadout for the server will be Intel Xenon processors. after I buy the frame rack each unit will cost 1300 I am planning on building 8 units.

thoughts?

Isn't that a little insane? You planning on creating a darknet version of NG? A buddy of mine had a 4U rack, should've given him a few bucks for it... as he's a scrapper.

BBS Signature
DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-04-14 11:25:16 Reply

At 3/10/14 08:27 PM, Conal wrote: After much consideration; I have decided that I'm going to get the Asus Mars 760 as the graphics card for my upcoming build.

The manufacture said it's 20% cooler than the other 760.
Get it? :3 Hurhruheruehru

Good luck with that.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Programmer
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-04-14 13:09:51 Reply

At 4/14/14 09:33 AM, VicariousE wrote: Isn't that a little insane? You planning on creating a darknet version of NG? A buddy of mine had a 4U rack, should've given him a few bucks for it... as he's a scrapper.

MAAYBE. I also had to put in consideration of PU and the Swtichboard, I have to go down to 6 4U units. but yeah I plan on doing this right after I make my Workstation rig.

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-04-14 14:39:12 Reply

At 3/18/14 03:48 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: hey guys I am starting to save money up for my Rig, I'll be saving 500 a month till I have enough to afford it. after that I plan on building a server with a standard 19' 45 Unit rack. I plan on using 4U units (because they have additional fans for cooling). my loadout for the server will be Intel Xenon processors. after I buy the frame rack each unit will cost 1300 I am planning on building 8 units.

thoughts?

What do you intend the server rack for? Home business? Small web service? You can build a solid and cheap rack's frame for less than $200. The rest is easy shopping. Building and getting server racks is easier than you thought.

If you're not intended for something big, why not shop for tower servers?

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Programmer
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-04-14 15:01:13 Reply

At 4/14/14 02:39 PM, Elitistinen wrote: What do you intend the server rack for? Home business? Small web service? You can build a solid and cheap rack's frame for less than $200. The rest is easy shopping. Building and getting server racks is easier than you thought.

If you're not intended for something big, why not shop for tower servers?

Small Web Service, personal use for IT purposes. I would like to have of power to spare.

BBS Signature
Witch
Witch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Reader
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-04-27 03:44:33 Reply

I've just began buying parts for my first ever build, geared towards music production.

I've ordered an AMD A10-6800K processor, MSI A78XM-E45 motherboard, and Fractal Design Core 1000 case. Tomorrow I'm getting a (new) Western Digital 2TB hard drive for only €60 off some guy.

I have most of the rest of it planned out, I just need the money now. Making pizzas is so boring...

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-05-01 17:47:08 Reply

Hey, fuckers. What's new? I still don't have money for a single part that I need for the dream rig.

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-05-06 08:32:03 Reply

At 5/1/14 05:47 PM, Conal wrote: Hey, fuckers. What's new? I still don't have money for a single part that I need for the dream rig.

Me neither but that'll be because I just bought a new xbox or something.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Programmer
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-05-06 12:07:54 Reply

At 5/1/14 05:47 PM, Conal wrote: Hey, fuckers. What's new? I still don't have money for a single part that I need for the dream rig.

I'm stashing 300 away every paycheck right now I'm at $600 if I had the money to put $500 a month I could get my dream setup pretty quickly but its gonna cost around $2600 (I am using quality parts and plan on Dual monitoring two 27' 1920X1080 monitors)

BBS Signature
DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-05-06 17:38:40 Reply

At 5/6/14 08:32 AM, Snuff wrote: Me neither but that'll be because I just bought a new xbox or something.

You should trade your Xbox in for computer parts. A good computer can outperform it.

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Programmer
Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-08-24 15:43:16 Reply

Guys, I have a question and I'm not joking so shut the fuck up.

Anyway, I was wondering if there was such a thing as a PCI or SATA device that can connect to a floppy drive?

I'm building a very modern computer within a matter of months. I have a genuine use for floppy drives (my electronic organ uses them, for starters; I also maintain old computers as a hobby).

I know I could get a USB 3.5 floppy drive, but I'd like to install it inside the case. The device I'm looking for is a PCI card that has a slot for the old fashioned floppy ribbon cable, I would like it to support 2 drives (A: & B:). I'm sure I'll have some SATA ports available, I just want both FDDs inside the case.

Any help would be appreciated.

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-10-18 09:29:43 Reply

Bump.

I've re-designed my computer plans to be up to date with the current climate.

What do you think of this buy list? It will be due for "Phase 1" build on the 6th of February, 2015.

Phase 1 - Foundation

Motherboard: Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME £327.70

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820k £312.53

Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper £126.92

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti £289.99

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Refurbished £57.99
Hard Drive: Intel 530 SERIES 480gb SSD £192.56
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB DDR4 2133MHz Quad Channel £250.99
PSU: AX1200i £230.75
Total: £1,981.99

Phase 2 - Monitors

Monitor: ASUS RoG Swift PG278Q (1440p Monitor, 144hz, 27", G-Sync) £635
Monitor ASUS PB287Q (4K Monitor, 28", 60Hz, Almost fantastic colour) £440.12
Total: £1,075.12

Phase 3 - Over-Kill

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Quad Channel Kit (CMD16GX4M4B3200C16) £499.99
Total: £2,525.32

£5,582.43

~ Buy sources can be found on this blog ~

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
BrenTheMan
BrenTheMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-10-19 15:25:07 Reply

At 10/18/14 09:29 AM, Conal wrote: What do you think of this buy list? It will be due for "Phase 1" build on the 6th of February, 2015.

Depends on what your needs/goals are. For anything but the most extreme gaming/computing, this would be way overkill (not that it isn't cool as hell).

I manage NG's servers (and other stuff).
Need to change your username, delete your account, or something else? Read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) wiki page..

BBS Signature
DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-10-19 16:40:35 Reply

Well, keep saving up and see what you can do.

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Melancholy

Additionally, I'm getting these:

Mouse: Mad Catz R.A.T TE Gaming Mouse £49.99
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB Fully Mechanical Black Gaming Keyboard - CH-90000 £106.86
Speakers: *Looking for some monitor speakers to produce music with.
Webcam: Logitech HD Pro C920 £47.99
Microphone: Blue Snowball *Already bought.
Mousemat: *Undecided
Total: £204.84

¦>¦>¦> Something to note; the ASUS PB287Q 4K 60Hz monitor I'm buying has 1 port for 4K 60fps, but 2 HDMI ports at 30fps. This means I can set up a PS4 & cable box on my desk, so all I have to do is hit a button on the monitor to play PS4 or watch TV, while using the computer itself in the ASUS RoG Swift PG278Q monitor (144Hz, 2k) that I chose for PC games.

At 10/19/14 03:25 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: Depends on what your needs/goals are. For anything but the most extreme gaming/computing, this would be way overkill (not that it isn't cool as hell).

My needs and goals are to satisfy my computer enthusiasm. Up until my first job, I could only dream of what computers I wanted to build. Now it's obtainable.

At 10/19/14 04:40 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
Well, keep saving up and see what you can do.

That post was before I ever had a job. Now I'm adding £400 per month to my budget; I'll have £2,000 by the 6th of February.

These calculations don't lie:

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-11-21 23:17:18 Reply

Wow! I really am amazed that this thread kept going!

Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-12-07 17:51:04 Reply

I've got £1,333 in the bank, so I'm over halfway towards the almost £2,000 budget deadline in February. Looks like I can just about scrape the deadline.

Also, I went with the GTX 980, for the three DisplayPort 1.2s and HDMI 2.0. This means it will work with a 1440p 144Hz monitor, 4k 60Hz monitor and 4k 60Hz TV, with room for one more DP1.2 peripheral, or I can use the DVI.

Needs rotation.

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 37
Writer
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2014-12-08 11:52:34 Reply

At 12/7/14 05:51 PM, Conal wrote: Also, I went with the GTX 980, for the three DisplayPort 1.2s and HDMI 2.0. This means it will work with a 1440p 144Hz monitor, 4k 60Hz monitor and 4k 60Hz TV, with room for one more DP1.2 peripheral, or I can use the DVI.

Certainly a future-proof rig! Hope you're getting the GTX 980 with 3 fans, it looks like a monster!

Needs rotation.
There's 2 arrow keys in Windows Picture Viewer that rotates the image, and saves it at the same time

VicariousE's New Computer: Box III

AMD FX-8370E Vishera 8-Core 3.3GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) CPU (Came with Thief, but it needs Steam to run)

Corsair Hydro Series H80i High Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler (Hope it fits)

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Motherboard (What happened to R3.0?!)

EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80 PLUS GOLD Modular Power Supply

EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI, 1152 Cuda Cores (Hope this fits too)

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Internal RAM

Samsung 840 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD (with Far Cry 4 tossed in as a bonus)

Seagate 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive

Pioneer BD-ROM 4 Layer SATA Blu-ray Burner

What it's going in: Ultra Case, Black, with stickers (circa 2007, also, the front door's broken)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kY6VCJ

Estimated Wattage: 384W
Cost: just under $1200 USD from Newegg.com Price, combo and rebate differences were so slight...

Most everything listed has great reviews. It's a bit pricer than I orginally wanted, but with Christmas so close, some of my lower end first picks were sold out. All the parts should've been here December 6th, however the tracking data is really scary, as I've counted 6 stops in 3 days! Maybe today... and intact :|

This will be my 3rd PC build in almost 20 years! I'm not happy with DRM and the new security stuff embedded in the HW and SW. I'm asking a friend to burn me a legit copy of Win7 (also a first in 20 years lol, since Win95b at least), and teach me about it on his laptop, as my current OS is WinXP on a 12 year old Dell laptop. I just don't wanna register with MS or get constant, incremental updates at all :| Updating HW and SW drivers is a careful business, which will hopefully go well, and in order.

I'll be back here soon, and let you all know how well the build goes. This is my Chirstmas present, to myself, as I'm leaving my home of 40 years on the 17th :( Still don't have a place to live, yet...

BBS Signature
Kwing
Kwing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Game Developer

Hey guys. I've never built a computer but I'm interested in trying. My desktop is rapidly deteriorating and I'm looking to see what I can do as far as building a computer from scratch - the one I have is from 2007 and came as a set with absolutely abysmal specs (1GB of RAM, now upgraded to 3GB, an old 2006 graphics card that only accepts Windows XP drivers, a defunct version of Windows Vista that does not update properly, no PCI Express slots, and a modest dual-core processor.)

- - -

Anyway, my cousin was putting together a list of parts for a 'dream computer.' Basically what I want is something that can be the sum of these parts. He doesn't know how to build a computer either, so our main concerns are whether or not we have all of the parts needed to build a functional computer tower, and whether or not all of these parts are compatible with both the case and with each other. Beyond knowing more cores and more RAM are good for system performance, and that a newer graphics card is better than an old one, most of these specs mean absolutely nothing to me. If someone would be so kind as to take a look and answer my questions, that would be awesome.

Processor
http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Athlon-450-Processor-ADX450WFGMBOX/dp/B003YV64OI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386015311&sr=1-2&keywords=amd+athlon+ii
$71 (12/2/13)
Triple-core
3.2 GHz
AM3 Socket
1.5 MB Cache

EDIT: I'm actually interested in a quad-core processor. This is what was on the list, but I'm looking to swap out this part.

Motherboard
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-SB710-Chipset-Motherboard-GA-78LMT-S2P/dp/B0054OWT0G/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_y
$50 (12/2/13)
Compatible with AM3 CPU
2x DDR3 DIMM sockets for up to 8GB of RAM

RAM
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-CT25664BA1339-240-PIN-PC3-10600-Memory/dp/B001NA25VS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386101211&sr=8-1&keywords=2gb+ddr3
$25 (12/3/13)
http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-1600MHz-Non-ECC-KHX1600C9D3B1-4G/dp/B0057Q4AGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386101245&sr=8-1&keywords=4gb+ram
$35 (12/3/13)

Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Internal+Hard+Drives-_-N82E16822136769&gclid=CJ2dm7iwqrcCFcFDMgodTlMAYQ
$60 (11/3/13)
500GB
7200 RPM
16MB Cache
SATA 6.0Gb/s

Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150542
$70 + $3 Shipping (5/25/13)
480 Stream Processors
1GB 128-bit DDR3
PCI Express 2.1 x16

Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156247&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Cases+(Computer+Cases+-+ATX+Form)-_-Raidmax-_-11156247
$44 (12/3/13)

Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817170010&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Power+Supplies-_-N82E16817170010&gclid=CO2EnaHyrLcCFcFAMgod91IAkg
$18 + $6 shipping (12/3/13)
ATX12V
100 - 240 V
50/60 Hz

Total: $382

- - -

Also, my sister is convinced that increasing hard drive space (eg. plugging in an external hard drive or USB drive) will increase system performance. What should I tell her?

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.
Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 37
Writer
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2015-01-02 02:36:46 Reply

At 12/14/14 01:01 AM, Kwing wrote: Anyway, my cousin was putting together a list of parts for a 'dream computer.

Hm, it's not bad from what I can tell. The mobo company will have a list of supported memory modules for that particular board... I'm kinda concerned about you using 2 different types of memory, there aren't any pairs sold that's within budget?

Also, my sister is convinced that increasing hard drive space (eg. plugging in an external hard drive or USB drive) will increase system performance. What should I tell her?

Kinda, depends on where her bottleneck is lol. If it's dying for onboard RAM, it should help a little by buffering to the HD, if so checked (usually, if it's not a removeable drive that is). She could label it for disk caching, but heaven forbid if she unplugs it while the computer is starving for memory... at least that's my theory.

BBS Signature