New Topic Respond to this Topic
Spilda-Bongwata
Spilda-Bongwata
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Movie Buff
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 20th, 2012 @ 04:08 AM Reply

also my computer is reaching excessive temps of over 60 celcius should i refrain from using it until i clean and upgrade it?

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 21st, 2012 @ 03:31 PM Reply

At 1/20/12 04:08 AM, Spilda-Bongwata wrote: also my computer is reaching excessive temps of over 60 celcius should i refrain from using it until i clean and upgrade it?

I wouldn't really know, unless you provide more details, like make, model, year of purchase, type of processor,etc.

If it's dusty, then it has the potential to clog up any air cooling component, such as fans, heatsinks, etc.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 21st, 2012 @ 03:33 PM Reply

At 1/19/12 06:37 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: So I got all my PC components earlier this week (I did go for the Corsair 600T case in the end, SO FUCKING HOT), and annoyingly enough my ASUS M5A97 PRO motherboard was dead on arrival D:. Bit of a pain in the ass, the SATA controller's fucked or something similar, when I try and run ubuntu off of a USB stick I get this message: "unable to find a medium containing a live file system", and when installing windows it BSoDs. Pain in the ass.

Unless anyone knows anything I can do that doesn't involve waiting around for asus to ship me a replacement motherboard?

IMHO I wouldn't try and do anything that might void the warranty on it. Just claim it as defective and wait for the replacement on it. I haven't had to deal with ASUS directly, because the store I usually go to has a very good product replacement plan, so I wouldn't really know if ASUS warranty is something you may or may not want to go through.

TheLavaMuffin
TheLavaMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 22nd, 2012 @ 11:53 PM Reply

Hey guys. I am looking to build a cheap desktop that will host a xampp stack and be able to surf the internet comfortably. Preferably small. A laptop would be more convenient for me but it would probably be more expensive.

Have steam? Add me

BBS Signature
FrostedMonkeyFlakes
FrostedMonkeyFlakes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 06:53 AM Reply

Just the thread I was hoping to find.

I just upgraded my hdd, ram, OS, and installed a video card (Radeon HD 6790). CPU is still a bit on the weak side of things: Athlon II x2 245 2.9ghz, I was on a budget so it'll do for a while.

In my rush to get new components I totally spaced on a new PSU...I've got a 480w 20pin in the tower, so I'm missing those last 4 pins for the mobo that are meant for powering the PCI-E slot. I hooked up the video card anyway and used the 4 pin x2 to 6 pin adapter that came with the card to power it. It seemed to work but I got paranoid and took the card out and went back to integrated and ordered a proper PSU that with luck I'll have Friday.

So , here's the question. Is it safe to run the card on the 20 pin or should I wait for the new power supply before pushing the card at all?

Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 04:57 PM Reply

Hey guys, I'm a trainee network engineer. Building computers is something I can do while sleeping.

Can you help me out with a little contiguous memory problem? More info.

Computer Construction Crew

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 21st, 2012 @ 06:15 AM Reply

At 12 days ago, FrostedMonkeyFlakes wrote:
So , here's the question. Is it safe to run the card on the 20 pin or should I wait for the new power supply before pushing the card at all?

I would wait.

By now maybe the card has arrived already and this answer is way too late. O_O

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 21st, 2012 @ 06:17 AM Reply

At 4 days ago, Conal wrote: Hey guys, I'm a trainee network engineer. Building computers is something I can do while sleeping.

Can you help me out with a little contiguous memory problem? More info.

Shut down some useless back-ground programs and / or buy more memory. Most modern machines are running with 4GB of RAM now.

Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Computer Construction Crew Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 05:32 PM Reply

Quick question:

Does anyone know where I can find an ATX (or mATX) case with the oldschool 7-segment LED numbers on the front? Preferably three digits or more.

I know the old AT computers of the '90s had them.

Slint
Slint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Audiophile
Response to Computer Construction Crew May. 12th, 2012 @ 09:11 PM Reply

I've been suggested the following rig by some good people here at NG.
It's supposed to be able to run the latest games with graphics on high. It's supposed to run the most advanced game, graphically and whatnot and keep doing so for a few years down the road. A top notch computer. (Noteworthy examples: GTA IV and V, Skyrim, etc.)
What do you all think? Will it work?

Gigabyte motherboard socket 1155
Core i5 2500k boxed
Radeon HD 6870
ATX case
4GB of DDR3 RAM
600+ Watt Power Supply
500GB Hard Drive
Optical drive (unless it's already in the case)

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
HotCakes
HotCakes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew May. 13th, 2012 @ 04:04 PM Reply

It depends on your monitor resolution.

BBS Signature
deckheadtottie
deckheadtottie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Programmer
Response to Computer Construction Crew May. 16th, 2012 @ 02:15 PM Reply

Just installed another 8GB RAM (totaling 16GB) and 128GB Crucial M4 SSD. Browsing Facebook and Newgrounds has never been better.

Overkill?

#coys

BBS Signature
schumaccercat
schumaccercat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Computer Construction Crew May. 24th, 2012 @ 08:47 AM Reply

Hey guys, I'm a legit noob with 0 experience with computer construction and I have a Packard Bell ixtreme M5741 and I have sold my xbox and have about £200 to spend, what can i do to make my computer into a better gaming machine with this budget? If there is not much i can do just tell me what the basic components I need to buy to have a gaming rig would be, and where I can get them, that would be amazing and I would love you all forever, cheers!

Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to Computer Construction Crew May. 25th, 2012 @ 01:09 AM Reply

At 5/16/12 02:15 PM, deckheadtottie wrote: Just installed another 8GB RAM (totaling 16GB) and 128GB Crucial M4 SSD. Browsing Facebook and Newgrounds has never been better.

Overkill?

If you've got the money, not at all. Planning to up my ram to 8GB at some point.

How's the SSD? I'm thinking of picking one up myself.

Anyone in the UK should have a quick look at this. Really nice read and write speeds, and size, for the price.

X1SephX
X1SephX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Gamer
Response to Computer Construction Crew Oct. 20th, 2012 @ 01:13 PM Reply

While I'm searching, could anyone recommend some parts for the PC I'm building? First timer, for the most part there is no budget. It's going to be used all the time of course, using music programs like FL, maybe some gameplay recording/editing. Gaming will be the main purpose of the PC. I don't want to mess with overclocking just yet as well as water cooling, a bit hesitant on that aspect. I'm not sure if I should buy an external sound card to get more from my music or games.

Also, is this a good time to build a computer? Some people say so and so month is the best time of year to buy a TV, car etc. From what I've read a while ago Windows 8 wasn't being met with any good reviews and the people preferred Win 7, I too seem to prefer Win 7 any other input you may add?

I always use amazon to buy stuff, but I have checked out Newegg and TigerDirect in the past, which have better prices overall when it comes to computer parts?

Any other information that you would like me to provide that would better help the suggestions?

If you're a HARDCORE FAN prepare to be always disappointed.

VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Nov. 11th, 2012 @ 05:30 AM Reply

At 10/21/12 01:04 PM, Escalus wrote: oh boy... maybe you guys can help me with my RAM problem (I build computers as a hobby but I've never faced any kind of RAM problems whatsoever till now)
RAM:
PNY 8gb memory DDR3 1333

Ugh, I saw this before Sandy flattened my state, and no one says 'boo'? Have you tried different memory or fewer sticks of the PNY memory? As i recall, that company was kinda hit and miss. It'd be funny (sarcasm) if the whole thing were correctable by a simple BIOS update.
Have you checked all the connections? Sometimes cases and boards have a bit of a mismatch, though it seems rarer now... though the number of stupid little wires to connect keeps increasing.

Now building Vault 101, reverse engineered from yesterdays technology.

BBS Signature
scoutthesoldier
scoutthesoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Nov. 23rd, 2012 @ 06:35 PM Reply

Hello everyone, I have recently bought an Alienware X51 and I have been planning to swap the graphics card and RAM, the graphics card most likely being a Sapphire HD 7870, which I have read on a Discussion on the Dell website saying that the Sapphire HD 7870 runs just fine on the X51. In here, he stated that on a torture test on Prime95/Furmark that the 7870 produced around 203 W max, and also said this was "ok" for a 330 W adapter. This may be a noobish question, but can this graphics card work with a 230 W adapter?

If it can't, that's fine, I could get a new one for a cheap price, but I'm just trying to save a few bucks.

That Scout is a Soldier!

BBS Signature
scoutthesoldier
scoutthesoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Nov. 23rd, 2012 @ 07:01 PM Reply

At 5/12/12 09:11 PM, Slint wrote: 4GB of DDR3 RAM

8GB of RAM is the thing nowadays. Get 16-32 GB to be in the fad in the upcoming years.

That Scout is a Soldier!

BBS Signature
Sectus
Sectus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Computer Construction Crew Nov. 27th, 2012 @ 07:32 PM Reply

Just a quick question!

I am supposed to be finding parts for a good gaming computer that I can request for Christmas. I wanted a computer that is good enough to run Skyrim on high quality, so I was thinking I would ask here to see if any of you had any recommendations for parts I should use.

Dev
Dev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Reader
Response to Computer Construction Crew Dec. 5th, 2012 @ 02:09 PM Reply

I've decided that for my next computer I'm going to try my hand at building my own. I do have some (very basic) experience working on computers and assembly isn't anything I'm too overly worried about. I don't have much experience buying parts and the sheer variety that's available out there is just a wee bit overwhelming. :P
Basically, what I want to know is, is it feasible to build a reasonably nice (non-gaming -just general use) computer with a budget of $500 to $700?

Compatibility is another thing I was worried about. Are most parts out there compatible, or is that something that I need to be really wary of?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This sig is my identity -what was I thinking getting rid of it??
Holder of the Top 300 BP list.
Top 90 BP'er; EGSC #153

BBS Signature
scoutthesoldier
scoutthesoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 07:08 PM Reply

At 12/5/12 02:09 PM, Metal-Therapy wrote: I've decided that for my next computer I'm going to try my hand at building my own. I do have some (very basic) experience working on computers and assembly isn't anything I'm too overly worried about. I don't have much experience buying parts and the sheer variety that's available out there is just a wee bit overwhelming. :P
Basically, what I want to know is, is it feasible to build a reasonably nice (non-gaming -just general use) computer with a budget of $500 to $700?

Compatibility is another thing I was worried about. Are most parts out there compatible, or is that something that I need to be really wary of?

If you don't have much knowledge on building a PC, you shouldn't just build it, you may mess up. But I guess I'll let you know, yes, you can make a computer for general use for $500-$700, the processor won't have to be Intel, which will be HALF of what your willing to pay for to build one, so that's good.

That Scout is a Soldier!

BBS Signature
Dev
Dev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Reader
Response to Computer Construction Crew Dec. 9th, 2012 @ 10:28 PM Reply

At 12/8/12 07:08 PM, scoutthesoldier wrote:
At 12/5/12 02:09 PM, Metal-Therapy wrote: I've decided that for my next computer I'm going to try my hand at building my own. I do have some (very basic) experience working on computers and assembly isn't anything I'm too overly worried about. I don't have much experience buying parts and the sheer variety that's available out there is just a wee bit overwhelming. :P

If you don't have much knowledge on building a PC, you shouldn't just build it, you may mess up.

Well, the way I look at it is everyone has to start somewhere and I know it'll be a learning experience. Where may I mess up? What are some of the common pitfalls that first-timers encounter? That's why I'm here, trying to educate myself a bit further. :P

But I guess I'll let you know, yes, you can make a computer for general use for $500-$700, the processor won't have to be Intel, which will be HALF of what your willing to pay for to build one, so that's good.

Good to know. I tallied up the cost of the parts I wrote down and it came to a little over $600... I was looking at getting a Intel Core i5 (little over $200) which is what the computer I'm currently using has. Anyway, thanks a lot for the reply, much appreciated.

Top 90 BP'er; EGSC #153

BBS Signature
Dev
Dev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Reader
Response to Computer Construction Crew Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 05:00 PM Reply

I figured I'd stop by here to say that I finished my computer build today. I just got back from buying and installing a keyboard/mouse and a usb wireless adapter, so I'm finally done.

It sucks this crew is so inactive, but I managed to figure everything out without too much problem -having a system you built yourself is really quite awesome!

Top 90 BP'er; EGSC #153

BBS Signature
mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 08:59 PM Reply

Anyone know where to get cheap ram? looking for another 4gig to future proof my machine

original I am.

BBS Signature
Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 10:12 PM Reply

At 3/13/13 08:59 PM, mandog wrote: Anyone know where to get cheap ram? looking for another 4gig to future proof my machine

4 gigs of ram is like ~30 bucks pretty much anywhere. Just order some. The prices are generally consistent across the board, but they do have a tendency to drift up and down instead of steadily declining like they do with other parts. Example: I bought 8 gigs for an mITX build last June for $45, now the exact same kit is $55 from the same supplier. If it's not something you need right away for a specific reason, I'd wait for it to dip back down again. Check prices once a month and order a stick when it's cheap.

mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Mar. 14th, 2013 @ 12:46 AM Reply

At 3/13/13 10:12 PM, Elfer wrote: If it's not something you need right away for a specific reason, I'd wait for it to dip back down again. Check prices once a month and order a stick when it's cheap.

Thats cool man, thanks.

Also since I am here,

My setup (computer is new, bought on christmas):
Pre-built gaming computer
Ram: 4 GB 1333MHz (1x4GB) - (DDR3)
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 7850 - 2GB - (XFX) - (PCI-E)
Motherboard: ASrock 970 extreme3

My original fans were crap so I stole some and they work pretty good, dunno what they're called though.

original I am.

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Computer Construction Crew Mar. 17th, 2013 @ 01:09 AM Reply

I know absolutely nothing.

not really, but I feel if I exaggerate it I'll get better help

Do you guys know if this is good for the price? The reviews sound pretty decent, but could I do better building on my own? I've got a bit over $100 to get myself a good monitor and down the road I'll probably get a better graphics card (based on reviews I've come to this conclusion).

THANKS MEN

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Computer Construction Crew Mar. 17th, 2013 @ 01:14 AM Reply

Sorry for the double post n all that, but is this a better value? There's also this one.

The shipping make a decent difference on price. The first one I poster is like $50 shipping, second is $15, and third is free.

THANKS >AEFO

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Computer Construction Crew Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 12:40 AM Reply

Nevermind, I decided to build now. Just have to pick all the parts and I'll buy it tomorrow.

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Computer Construction Crew Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 01:38 AM Reply

Wanna upgrade my video card and probably my processor. I know that some parts may not be compatible with my current rig. I dont know how that works, but I guess until I figure it out im playing it safe.
My video card is an AMD so I'll just get another AMD.
But as far as my processor goes...it also says AMD. Does AMD make processors? Or am I just reading my specs wrong?

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature