New Topic Respond to this Topic
SeeD419
SeeD419
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to Computer Construction Crew Nov. 21st, 2010 @ 05:41 AM Reply

At 11/20/10 09:34 PM, Rockyusa wrote: That looks like it has bad cable management. Try to make it a bit more tidy (thus, it will increase airflow).

That was just right after throwing the motherboard in, thus, why there isn't power running to a single drive. Also why the front panel isn't connected. It's all finished now, might update with a new picture. Trust me, I'm anal, it's all zip tied.

As for the virus problem you are having, I can't help you there. The only thing I would suggest is getting Windows 7 Home Premium (or maybe even linux if you are short on money) and reformatting your drive. If you don't want to do that, you could also get a new hard drive, forget your old one, and get (like I said before) Windows 7 or Linux (Linux is free and would count as a placeholder until you can fork up the money for an actual mainstream operating system).

Well the problem is, this computer is for a customer. I kinda do this stuff on the side here and there, and I was upgrading an old system for a lawyer that lives upstairs. As of now, I just threw the hard drive in his old system and it runs great.

After a bit of research, I found out it's just windows xp really. I guess windows xp gets really upset about any serious hardware changes, and you pretty much have to have an xp disc ready when doing any. It just gives you some generic 'virus' message on startup with new hardware.

But as far as a new operating system or hard drive, it's not possible right now. Customer has a lot of important documents from cases on that drive, so I'm just going to ghost it over to another drive and get it running that way. Still need to find an xp home disc though.

Minecraft server: proxa.co
PortalWatch 0.1 Alpha - Download
Sig by illicit

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Computer Construction Crew Nov. 22nd, 2010 @ 07:34 AM Reply

Hey guys, I've got two laptops that range between £350 & £420 (even second hand).

If I got £800.00, what's the best laptop I could buy with it? I need one with high resolution, good gaming capabilities & memory.

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 23rd, 2011 @ 10:21 AM Reply

At 11/22/10 07:34 AM, Conal wrote: Hey guys, I've got two laptops that range between £350 & £420 (even second hand).

If I got £800.00, what's the best laptop I could buy with it? I need one with high resolution, good gaming capabilities & memory.

Sony Vaio Z, EC or F. Z is the best thing but it might be out of your price range.

Anyways. I got bored so I redone my laptop for glossy black. The boring silver and white was starting to annoy me. I was suppose to pay 300zl (100$) but ended up paying 50zl (18$) because the painted fucked up the speaker cover and made a few imperfections but they're hard to notice.

Taking it apart was the most stressful thing I ever done because a static shock could damage the boards, the plastic could break, deform or snap, the pieces might not fit afterwards, i might lose pieces, the screen could get dead pixels from the constant force that i had to exhort on it while trying to take off the bezel or I'll forget to connect something and then have to take apart the screen or body to fix it but none of that happened.

I can't figure out where I'm suppose to put three screws and the useless wifi-switch broke but thankfully while being in the on position - so to look at the bright side: it's weighs less and I won't fool myself by turning off the wifi by accident. I guess it all worked out for the best. Oh yeah, here's a few pictures.

Inside
Outside
Closeup
All the pieces

Computer Construction Crew

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature
SeeD419
SeeD419
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 23rd, 2011 @ 10:47 AM Reply

My latest build.

Liquid cooled w/ XSPC Rasa 750

Sig by illicit

BBS Signature
gostgamer
gostgamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 2nd, 2011 @ 02:27 PM Reply

Can some one give me the motherboard pin layout for a dell studio 540 or point me in the right direction, because I have to get a bigger case and i can't find out the pin layout for the front panel cables.

" I'm not bullying any one, I'm just giving out really harsh constructive criticism"

BBS Signature
gostgamer
gostgamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 6th, 2011 @ 09:38 AM Reply

At 2/2/11 02:27 PM, gostgamer wrote: Can some one give me the motherboard pin layout for a dell studio 540 or point me in the right direction, because I have to get a bigger case and i can't find out the pin layout for the front panel cables.

do you guys need more information?

" I'm not bullying any one, I'm just giving out really harsh constructive criticism"

BBS Signature
andy70707
andy70707
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Computer Construction Crew Mar. 20th, 2011 @ 10:58 AM Reply

I just saved enough money for a decent pc, I have built one before with an AMD athlon II x4 640 @2.6GHz (overclocked to 2.81), here is a rough parts/price list of what I want. I have already ordered the case, mouse, and keyboard, and I have pretty much decided to go for the similarly priced i5-760 (quad core, 2.8GHz) instead of the i5-661 (dual core, 3.33GHz), as for the graphics card, I found this on ebay, what do you guys think? Or are there any other cards that are better? (nvidia, atleast 512mb, dual output either 2xDVI or DVI+HDMI, £80 max. I also like XFX, but it's not a requirement. I won't be playing many games, only older pre-2007 ones). As for the hard drive, I have an old 160gb sata drive I will use to get it running, then either get a larger drive or if I can afford it, an SSD (or a small SSD for windows and hard drive for storage).

My websites: MayesMods | FireStorm | I'm also on almost every other website in existence, mostly under the username: andy70707 (youtube: brainiac777, eBay: 10andy70707).

BBS Signature
SeeD419
SeeD419
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to Computer Construction Crew Apr. 6th, 2011 @ 02:15 PM Reply

I took some pics of my computer last night. 3.77Ghz Pentium @ 40C under 100% load.

I have a feeling newgrounds might compress the living hell out of the picture, but it was HD...

Sig by illicit

BBS Signature
deckheadtottie
deckheadtottie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Programmer
Response to Computer Construction Crew May. 1st, 2011 @ 10:46 AM Reply

Goodbye student loan; hello this:

#coys

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jul. 31st, 2011 @ 02:14 AM Reply

At 5/1/11 10:46 AM, deckheadtottie wrote: Goodbye student loan; hello this:

Looks like you're making a gaming rig. Or are you going to use it for "studying"? lol

And here's my current gaming rig.

It's a 775-based system, I know, I'm behind the times. But an overclocked Q6600 aint' all that bad yet :P

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jul. 31st, 2011 @ 02:16 AM Reply

Aww crap I forgot to upload a piccie... here it is...

ThR
ThR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Computer Construction Crew Aug. 2nd, 2011 @ 09:29 AM Reply

Okay here goes nothing.

I am looking to get a desktop pc for gaming Starcraft 2 and League Of Legends in high quality.
My budget is around 600 dollars.

I don't know jack about computer specs. I tried going that newegg site and i had no idea what was going on. So i would pretty much just have you guys giving me a link to a computer that i could use.

Thanks.

My beautiful music!

BBS Signature
DELUCA2400
DELUCA2400
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Nov. 7th, 2011 @ 11:10 PM Reply

Hello all I am building my own pc and I want to get a graphics card that can run Star Wars the Old Republic and Shogun 2 at least on medium quality (I would really like high though) because my current graphics card is rather blah. Anywhoozer my specs are as followed (any other suggestions would be beneficial to me as well):

- GIGABYTE GA-H61M-S2-B3 Intel 6 Series Motherboard
- Intel Core i3-2100 3.10 GHz Dual Core Processor
- Patriot 8 GB DDR3-1333MHz G2 Desktop Memory Module
- EVGA GeForce GT 520 1GB DDR3 PCIe Dual DVI w/HDMI
- Thermaltake V2 ATX Mid Tower Case with 450W PSU

Razz
Razz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Dec. 30th, 2011 @ 09:00 PM Reply

I'd like to run two monitors, currently I only have one graphics card; ATI RV370. Is it possible to buy another ATI RV370 and hook it up for use of a second monitor?

How would I go about being able to use an additional monitor?

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 12th, 2012 @ 10:18 AM Reply

At 12/30/11 09:00 PM, Razz wrote: I'd like to run two monitors, currently I only have one graphics card; ATI RV370. Is it possible to buy another ATI RV370 and hook it up for use of a second monitor?

How would I go about being able to use an additional monitor?

That's an embedded graphics card I assume, so you can't actually buy a second card. But any regular PCI graphics card will have two DVI ports out (or VGA or HDMI or whatever, look on a website like newegg or ebuyer for specs), and running 2 monitors is as simple as plugging both monitors in, windows will handle the rest.

Anyway, a question to you tecchies:

What good looking case would you recommend? I think a lot of cases look a bit rubbish, all black and angular and ugly. I'd like something clean, steel or white or similar. I've been oggling the Corsair 600T, but it's perhaps a little too pricey (~£120, i'd rather pay about <£100 if possible)... I've seen plenty of decent specced well reviewed cheaper cases but they're all function over form, and I want something that looks nice, that's half the point of the case.

Anyone know anything good?

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 12th, 2012 @ 10:32 AM Reply

What do you think are the hopes of finding a decent motherboard the size of a server tower?

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 12th, 2012 @ 11:37 AM Reply

At 1/12/12 10:18 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote:

I've been oggling the Corsair 600T, but it's perhaps a little too pricey (~£120, i'd rather pay about <£100 if possible)... I've seen plenty of decent specced well reviewed cheaper cases but they're all function over form, and I want something that looks nice, that's half the point of the case.

You can't really go wrong with that particular case. Everything wrong that I found with my previous case (an Antec 900), was addressed with this case. Botton grille for a down-facing power supply, black interior, and plenty of room for cable management. And the white one is better than the black edition (regular) cause it comes with a window already.

What hardware are you planning on getting? You going Intel or AMD?

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 12th, 2012 @ 12:02 PM Reply

At 1/12/12 10:32 AM, esko-man wrote: What do you think are the hopes of finding a decent motherboard the size of a server tower?

What do you mean by "Size of a server tower"?

You do know that servers are entire shelves of rack-mounted units that can fill up entire rooms right?

BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 12th, 2012 @ 07:24 PM Reply

At 1/12/12 11:37 AM, BrokenDeck wrote:
At 1/12/12 10:18 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote:
I've been oggling the Corsair 600T, but it's perhaps a little too pricey (~£120, i'd rather pay about <£100 if possible)... I've seen plenty of decent specced well reviewed cheaper cases but they're all function over form, and I want something that looks nice, that's half the point of the case.

You can't really go wrong with that particular case. Everything wrong that I found with my previous case (an Antec 900), was addressed with this case. Botton grille for a down-facing power supply, black interior, and plenty of room for cable management. And the white one is better than the black edition (regular) cause it comes with a window already.

my flatmate has an antec 900, and it represents what I don't like in PC cases. The ugly handling of the fan on the top. The overused blue LEDs everywhere. The design along the sides of the top is a turn off too.

What hardware are you planning on getting? You going Intel or AMD?

I'm going to keep my current amd phenom 955 black and radeon 5770 (for now, might either SLI it or just outright replace it but not quite yet, maybe in a paycheques time), but upgrading my DDR2(!) RAM and mobo, grabbing an SSD, and making my PC more upgrade-proof. unless amd are switching away from AM3 any time soon (are they? Idk, i dont really follow the hardware scene)

Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 12th, 2012 @ 07:36 PM Reply

At 1/12/12 12:02 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: What do you mean by "Size of a server tower"?

You do know that servers are entire shelves of rack-mounted units that can fill up entire rooms right?

You are half right:

While most servers are a series of rack-mounted computers, some places use the older tower-style servers - Basically a large workstation or gaming rig, but with multiple CPUs and hard drives.

Also, the sever at my workplace is a 4U rackmountable tower, and is set up as freestanding a PC tower.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 12th, 2012 @ 08:25 PM Reply

I think a full size ATX motherboard is going to be the largest motherboard you are going to find easily.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 12th, 2012 @ 09:17 PM Reply

At 1/12/12 07:24 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: my flatmate has an antec 900, and it represents what I don't like in PC cases. The ugly handling of the fan on the top. The overused blue LEDs everywhere. The design along the sides of the top is a turn off too.

Here's my Antec 900 BTW :P I was playing TF2

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 12th, 2012 @ 09:19 PM Reply

At 1/12/12 09:17 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: Here's my Antec 900 BTW :P I was playing TF2

The ricer LEDs, they burn!

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 12th, 2012 @ 10:33 PM Reply

At 1/12/12 09:19 PM, Oolaph wrote:
At 1/12/12 09:17 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: Here's my Antec 900 BTW :P I was playing TF2
The ricer LEDs, they burn!

Hey, everyone and their brother has an Antec 900 with the fans in stock position and the ricey blue LEDs.

At least I put in red ones and corrected the fans to a better position for airflow...

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 14th, 2012 @ 01:22 PM Reply

At 1/12/12 12:02 PM, BrokenDeck wrote:
What do you mean by "Size of a server tower"?

I bought a Dell Poweredge 700 Server in hopes of building a decent design rig and taking advantage of the size. Because it's a server, Dell didn't see the need for the motherboard to use a video card, so unless I want to use the integrated piss-poor server video, I need to find a motherboard. This case is big though.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 17th, 2012 @ 12:34 PM Reply

At 1/14/12 01:22 PM, esko-man wrote:
I bought a Dell Poweredge 700 Server in hopes of building a decent design rig and taking advantage of the size...

Any standard ATX size motherboard shoudl fit in that. ATX is normally the largest size, being full size.

Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 17th, 2012 @ 02:20 PM Reply

At 1/14/12 01:22 PM, esko-man wrote: Dell didn't see the need for the motherboard to use a video card, so unless I want to use the integrated piss-poor server video, I need to find a motherboard.

Pentium 4s are shit. Just about anything on the market today will beat a Pentium 4.

If you really do have a Pentium 4 motherboard, chances are it will not support any Core 2 processors, so you're better off getting a new board anyway.

This case is big though.

As long as it can fit all the video cards you've ever wanted, and it has adequate airflow, and won't collect too much dust, then yeah.

I personally don't believe in the whole "bigger is better" philosophy when it comes to cases - Just as long as it satisfies the criteria above.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 19th, 2012 @ 03:16 PM Reply

At 1/17/12 12:40 PM, Travis wrote: How much would it cost to buy what I need and how much would I have to pay you to make me one of these mods to a computer.

Not necessary.

Most computer parts stores will carry the LEDs and connectors+wires for you to be able to do light mods by yourself now.

BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 19th, 2012 @ 06:37 PM Reply

So I got all my PC components earlier this week (I did go for the Corsair 600T case in the end, SO FUCKING HOT), and annoyingly enough my ASUS M5A97 PRO motherboard was dead on arrival D:. Bit of a pain in the ass, the SATA controller's fucked or something similar, when I try and run ubuntu off of a USB stick I get this message: "unable to find a medium containing a live file system", and when installing windows it BSoDs. Pain in the ass.

Unless anyone knows anything I can do that doesn't involve waiting around for asus to ship me a replacement motherboard?

Spilda-Bongwata
Spilda-Bongwata
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Movie Buff
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 20th, 2012 @ 04:05 AM Reply

so how does one go about actually upgrading an already build computer?

can i just tear out my current graphics card and replace it with no loss of memory or files?

BBS Signature