00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kiler91 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ornery's Art Thread

10,713 Views | 58 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2008-10-17 02:13:09

Enough crap stuff.
How bout something good again.
Notice I use photo references quite a bit on the better projects, this is mainly because of the way i work. Im very slow and have trouble getting a finished composition when viewing a live object, especially when its a model who keeps moving. I take all my reference photos, and they all suck. Blurry and completly different light/color scheme from the drawing. I dont like just copying photos, because as I said before, "If its a good enough photo to begin with it dosent need to be made a drawing."

STATS;
Medium - Colored Pencil
Size - 8 x 8 inches
Photo reference (yeah like im gonna draw while my hand is on fire...)
Time spent - 5 hours

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2008-10-17 02:17:28

At 10/17/08 02:13 AM, ornery-scotsman wrote: STATS;
Medium - Colored Pencil
Size - 8 x 8 inches
Photo reference (yeah like im gonna draw while my hand is on fire...)
Time spent - 5 hours

Oh how nice of me to forget the pic

Ornery's Art Thread

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2008-11-11 23:07:33

This was kind of a fun one from class. So far most of these have been done on my own time.

STATS;
Medium - Pastel
Size - 16 X 20 inches
Live Model
Time Spent - 2-3 hours

Ornery's Art Thread

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2008-11-11 23:21:08

How about more from classes. This chick was one of the few 'normal models' we've had (normally they are all either old as shit or fat as hell). Was a weird day so I decided to just do some short sketchbook drawings of her instead of any long ones.

STATS;
Medium - Pencil, white conte
Size - 8.5 X 11 inches
Live Model
Time Spent - 45 minutes

Ornery's Art Thread

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2008-11-11 23:26:26

Keeping on the trend of stuff done in class. Stupid fucking self portrait done in painting. Was meant to be a quick sketch look portrait and nothing refined. Also was supposed to be somewhat monochromatic. I still hate painting.....

STATS;
Medium - Oil Paint
Size - 16 x 20 inches
Live Model (me in a mirror)
Time Spent - 1.5 hours

Ornery's Art Thread

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2008-11-11 23:33:50

More from class. Wasn't feeling too good this day, plus the models changed poses every hour so its not like anything could get refined. Still, I'm a bit happy with the outcome in the allotted time though.

STATS;
Medium - Paper toned with vine charcoal, charcoal pencil, eraser
Size - 18 x 24 inches
Live Model
Time Spent - 40 minutes

Ornery's Art Thread

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2008-11-11 23:40:15

Nocturnal drawing. Still not 100% done, probably going to darken the whole thing so that the tree doesn't stand out so much where it ends at the top.

STATS;
Medium - Pastel
Size - 22 x 30 inches
Photo Reference
Time Spent - 5 hours

Ornery's Art Thread

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2008-11-12 00:11:28

Another one that isn't 100% done. Probably going to put a bit more in the background and fix the positioning of her eye. It is supposed to be a non literal interpretation (more about the mood and feeling) of the Dirty Three song "Sad Sexy" (as usual ignore the video, its the only link to the song i could find).

STATS;
Media - Graphite Pencil 4H - 8B, Pastel
Size - 19 x 24 inches
Photo Reference
Time Spent - 6 hours

Ornery's Art Thread

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2008-11-12 00:54:10

wow...an hour for a model pose!!!

Maybe that's just because I'm more training for 3d stuff and animation. We rarely got more than 15 minutes :P

Nice stuff, I'm noticing a slightly skewed look to everything...but it's starting to come off as a style. I think with some time this could develop into a very cool style. Just as long as you're not wanting to become an animator, or a draftsman.

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2008-11-12 01:55:46

At 11/12/08 12:54 AM, Savory wrote: wow...an hour for a model pose!!!

15- 20 minute shifts. they pose, break, then come back for another shift.

Maybe that's just because I'm more training for 3d stuff and animation. We rarely got more than 15 minutes :P

Generally unless we are doing gesture sketches (15 seconds - 3 minutes) the model will have at least 3 shifts (3 15-20 minute sittings) before picking a new pose. Although sometimes we are lucky and they will just keep the same pose till the end of class (6 hours, with breaks of course)

Nice stuff, I'm noticing a slightly skewed look to everything...but it's starting to come off as a style. I think with some time this could develop into a very cool style. Just as long as you're not wanting to become an animator, or a draftsman.

Skewed, what do you mean? I know the pics I'm taking are piss poor. When i finally get a the better cam i have and take em for more permanent documentation they wont be as blurry or warped. Or maybe you mean skewed as in proportions are whack. I find its a bit funner to mess with a few proportions here and there, adds a little interest, I wont really spend to much time trying to get them all perfect unless its like a technical drawing where exact proportions are the main goal.

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2008-11-12 16:32:26

I think it looks good, just don't forget what you're pushing, and why. Or you could very easily lose the appeal of the piece.

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2008-11-20 02:55:56

Very very nice.

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2008-11-20 11:40:43

At 10/8/08 05:32 PM, ornery-scotsman wrote:
How about a still life. Two glass/plastic bottles that were sitting on my floor.

This one >>>>>>>>>>> The rest

At least on terms of conceptual art. Realism etc.

HOLY SHIT SOMEONE THAT DOES NOT SUCK AT ART ON NG

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2008-12-11 18:11:06

More stuff soon to come, but for now a WIP

Ornery's Art Thread

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2009-01-09 14:33:41

At 12/11/08 06:11 PM, ornery wrote: More stuff soon to come, but for now a WIP

And now the finished version. Setting this thing up was hard, I made sure to test actually putting broken glass in my mouth before asking my model to do it. Swallowed some tiny tiny shards, so i washed the hell out of it to get any off so that she would be safe.

STATS;
Media- Graphite Pencil 4H - 8B
Size- 10 x 20 inches
Photo Reference
Time spent - ~7 hours

Ornery's Art Thread

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2009-01-09 14:40:24

Another one, kinda lacked on an idea for this one so that's why its a bit dull subject wise.

STATS;
Media- Graphite Pencil 4H-6B, Vine Charcoal, Colored Pencil
Size- 16 x 21 inches
Photo Reference
Time spent - ~5-6 hours

Ornery's Art Thread

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2009-01-09 14:43:08

This one was our final in class figure drawing. Two models, the chick was a real bitch and the bald guy was kinda creepy the way he looked at our work.

STATS;
Media- Graphite Pencil 6H-4B
Size- 22 X 30 inches
Live models
Time spent - 4 Hours

Ornery's Art Thread

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2009-01-10 02:59:50

"Satan's Spooge (oil paint)" - I rofled.

Nice work, you have great understanding of reflected light. The problem with your oils is the saturated tube colors. Light bounces around, you won't get red and yellow next to each other, you'll get reddish orange, and yellowish orange. SeewutImeen? Mix that paint, dammit.

You seem like more of a drawer anyway, though. Stick with what you like best.

BBS Signature

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2009-02-02 01:48:49

Starting to go back to doing water drops on figures, expect to see more of this kinda stuff in the future if all goes well in my class critique for it.

STATS;
Media- Pastel (chalk)
Size- 22 X 30 inches
Photo Reference (body) + Imagined (drops)
Time spent - ~5-6 hours

Ornery's Art Thread

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2009-02-03 11:26:56

Your stuff is wowzy. I likes.

Best piece so far has got to be the bottles - it looks so much like a photo.
Even the paintings aren't bad at all - they could be classed as stylistic

I dunno if you'd take requests but if you did a scene from the moon looking down on the earth like the NASA usuals in your chalks or pastel and maybe adapt it a bit it could be very nice and effective!

Love your work - keep 'em coming

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2009-02-03 13:20:17

very nice pastel work i always preferred paints my self but you get very dramatic looking lighting and form with your pastels so keep it up.

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2009-02-03 13:42:55

Great use of color, line, and lighting. You've got real rendering skill and an eye for translating what you see to the page. Kudos.

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2009-02-17 13:47:16

More stuff. Toned the page down with pastel and did this one all subtractive style.... awww yeah.

STATS;
Media- Pastel, Charcoal, White Charcoal
Size- 18 x 24 inches
Photo Reference
Time spent - 4 hours

Ornery's Art Thread

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2009-04-02 03:13:21

Started messing around with ink washes. Sumi Ink to be specific. This project we were asked to find 50 images, and then do certain exercises that would subconsciously weed out the ones that we liked the most. Then using 6 of those images, make a single picture. This is the only time that I have worked from pictures that i didn't take myself (besides a master copy here and there that I've done in the past.

STATS;
Media- Sumi Ink
Size- 39.5 x 27.5 inches
Multiple photo references, Imagination
Time spent - 4 hours

Ornery's Art Thread

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2009-04-02 03:16:44

Worked in pencil and powdered graphite here. Still experimenting with the powdered stuff. Ive found that it works better on smoother paper, and that my usual paper of choice, Rives BFK, is kinda crappy with this stuff, because the graphite grabs the tooth of the paper too well and doesn't move around very uniformly.

STATS;
Media- Pencil, Powdered Graphite
Size- 22 x 30
Photo Reference
Time spent - 8 hours

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2009-04-02 03:18:17

At 4/2/09 03:16 AM, ornery wrote: STATS;
Media- Pencil, Powdered Graphite
Size- 22 x 30
Photo Reference
Time spent - 8 hours

Great forgot the fucking pic.

Ornery's Art Thread

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2009-05-08 06:36:51

How about the two from the big honkin' drawing thread?

First one. this one was almost entirely done with pencils and blending stumps, the powdered graphite was just for toning a few areas
STATS;
Media - Pencil (6h - 9B), Powdered Graphite
Size - ~7 x 3.5 feet (85 x 42 inches)
Photo References
Time spent - ~72 hours

Ornery's Art Thread

Response to Ornery's Art Thread 2009-05-08 06:38:55

Part 2 of the big honkin drawings. This one was done with almost only powdered graphite, which explains the darker shade of it. Also i had about half the amount of time to work on it so its not as detailed as the other or as I originally planned.

STATS;
Media - Pencil (6h - 9B), Powdered Graphite
Size - ~7 x 3.5 feet (85 x 42 inches)
Photo References
Time spent - ~24hours

Ornery's Art Thread