New Topic Respond to this Topic
Aliensandwich
Aliensandwich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Artist
Portfolio question 2008-10-05 20:12:49 Reply

I'm thinking of doing a Quake fan-comic. To put it to good use, I'm thinking of making it a portfolio piece.
Am I allowed to do that? I will do it in my own style, and not include any logos.

Here's a sample.

Portfolio question

BBS Signature
NextToNothing
NextToNothing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Portfolio question 2008-10-05 20:22:04 Reply

I think college portfolios generally tend to look for original artwork, no matter how you alter it adapting a piece from either print or a photo is generally viewed in a lower light.

Not to say you couldn't put it in if you think it's unbelievably strong, but it's just something to consider.

I'm cool now... Right guys?... Guys?
Art Thread So I don't Lose It >:(

BBS Signature
ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Artist
Response to Portfolio question 2008-10-05 20:39:43 Reply

Generally colleges care more for original work, and they also greatly dislike anime just as a heads up. Although it is possible to use cartoonish or fan art and still get accepted (especially if you are going into animation or illustration as a major) your chances of getting in are better if you leave the WoW, D&D, LoTR art out. If you can however back it up with a bunch of strong other pieces of the style they like then chances are they will just over look that you drew an ork.

But hell, I know a guy who got into my school doing harry potter fan art, so you never know (he did has a super kick ass figure drawing portfolio to go with it though, so maybe thats the reason.)

Dookiemaister
Dookiemaister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Portfolio question 2008-10-05 20:49:46 Reply

focus more on life drawings. i sent in the same sorts of drawings to different colleges and they basically said they were crap. they prefer seeing larger pieces that show your comprehension of light, shadow, proportion etc.

usually what happens is, you go to your local college (who arent so hard with portfolios) and learn all the foundation crap. then you've got everything you need for your portfolio to send to wherever you want.

and i think most of the expensive places accept portfolios for scholarships or something.

| - - - - - - - - - - - - - | my art thread | blood & gore | doodles | I'll draw you! | - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

BBS Signature
Dicerath
Dicerath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Portfolio question 2008-10-06 00:24:34 Reply

You can definitely use it as a portfolio piece!

There are some guidelines however -
You can't say it is your character.
You can't use this image on products or sell it (unless you have permission, and that's hell sometimes)

And those are the two major things I can think up right now. Go for it, there's a lot you can do.