New Topic Respond to this Topic
Dookiemaister
Dookiemaister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
entering a logo competition Oct. 4th, 2008 @ 03:54 PM Reply

i've got this competition in my university for students only. SSTL is giving prices to two winning designs and they have to incorporate bridges, buildings, cables and the school colors: blue and orange.

here's what i came up with. i should probably redo the bridge, but other than that, it looks pretty boring. anyone got any suggestions on how i can make this better?

entering a logo competition

| - - - - - - - - - - - - - | my art thread | blood & gore | doodles | I'll draw you! | - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

BBS Signature
kernalphage
kernalphage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to entering a logo competition Oct. 4th, 2008 @ 04:46 PM Reply

if you're going for dynamic...

split the words to two lines before "technology", it'd give it a more even look... a chunk of foundation for the structures, rather than a wimpy sideways line.

Maybe when you do the bridge over, fudge the perspective a bit (or alot) into a worms-eye view... kinda what you have going on with the building already.... but more.
think W... with the center bit being the building you have already, and the legs as the bridges.

oh and gears. gears make everything more technological. (ignore this bit if the school/company doesn't do robots)

Dookiemaister
Dookiemaister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to entering a logo competition Oct. 4th, 2008 @ 05:24 PM Reply

At 10/4/08 04:46 PM, kernalphage wrote: if you're going for dynamic...

split the words to two lines before "technology", it'd give it a more even look... a chunk of foundation for the structures, rather than a wimpy sideways line.

great idea

Maybe when you do the bridge over, fudge the perspective a bit (or alot) into a worms-eye view... kinda what you have going on with the building already.... but more.

im thinking about making them curve a little more also.

think W... with the center bit being the building you have already, and the legs as the bridges.

i dont follow...

oh and gears. gears make everything more technological. (ignore this bit if the school/company doesn't do robots)

gears would make it look cooler, but im not sure if that would go well with this company. here's a small quote of what they do "The SSTL is a research lab focused on developing innovative strategies for increasing the safety and reliability of civil structures which are subjected to dynamic hazards such as strong earthquakes and winds. Our research is focused on the areas of structural health monitoring, structural control, and smart sensor technologies."

| - - - - - - - - - - - - - | my art thread | blood & gore | doodles | I'll draw you! | - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

BBS Signature
Dookiemaister
Dookiemaister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to entering a logo competition Oct. 5th, 2008 @ 12:03 AM Reply

im not sure if i should add all the cables because the building would end up looking too dull.
some improvements i should make:
-do something with the building (just doesnt look right)
-might change the text (is there a better font that goes with the company?)
-maybe a cityline behind the building?
-i was thinking of making the bottom part of the circle (the black part with laboratory) a cog.

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to entering a logo competition Oct. 5th, 2008 @ 07:54 AM Reply

At 10/5/08 12:03 AM, Dookiemaister wrote: structural health monitoring

Win. What I'm going back to uni for.

im not sure if i should add all the cables because the building would end up looking too dull.

Would end up being unnecessarily busy, same with adding a city line.

I thought the building and the bridge looked fine. I'm not clued up on perspective, but maybe it's compared to the bridge's perspective lines in the foreground. That, or the thinner side looks like it's width doubles at the bottom compared to the top. Or I could be talking shit.

I'd stick with the clear stylish fonts.

-i was thinking of making the bottom part of the circle (the black part with laboratory) a cog.

Don't do cogs. At best, it's computational analysis work, but the cable bridge and tower are enough.

I would also experiment to reduce the colours as much as possible, like making the back circle completely orange and replacing the black with dark blue. Think the bottom of the logo needs some more love too.

BBS Signature
Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to entering a logo competition Oct. 5th, 2008 @ 08:30 AM Reply

No one would want that logo, make something way more modern and simple.

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature
Tystarr
Tystarr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to entering a logo competition Oct. 5th, 2008 @ 10:37 AM Reply

-Too many colors
-The gradient is bad
-Too complicated for a logo

If you're not reading Twisted Comix what is your life about?
I'm published on NG! Buy "One Shot"!

BBS Signature
Dookiemaister
Dookiemaister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to entering a logo competition Oct. 5th, 2008 @ 11:34 AM Reply

Would end up being unnecessarily busy, same with adding a city line.

im guessing that there's too much drawing and not enough text.

I thought the building and the bridge looked fine. I'm not clued up on perspective, but maybe it's compared to the bridge's perspective lines in the foreground. That, or the thinner side looks like it's width doubles at the bottom compared to the top. Or I could be talking shit.

yea i forgot to fix the width.

I'd stick with the clear stylish fonts.

I'll just do something basic, and if they consider my logo, i'll work on it some more.

Don't do cogs. At best, it's computational analysis work, but the cable bridge and tower are enough.

alright

I would also experiment to reduce the colours as much as possible, like making the back circle completely orange and replacing the black with dark blue. Think the bottom of the logo needs some more love too.

i just did some quick color changes and made the building darker for some reason.

No one would want that logo, make something way more modern and simple.

well i got till November 1 to make something better

-Too many colors

ok

-The gradient is bad

which gradient? the one in the blue circle? i thought it wasn't so noticeable. if you mean the one in the text, i'll change it, but it's not a gradient.

-Too complicated for a logo

it was the first thing that came to my mind, and the only one that i could incorporate a building bridge and cables. guess i need to do some brainstorming.

BBS Signature