00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Petepan09 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Snails: A guide

1,328 Views | 12 Replies

Snails: A guide 2008-10-03 00:37:21

THIS POST IS BORING
No Denying that.

I made it because certain people keep asking me what exactly a snail is, this is for you.

The word snail is a common name that can be used for almost all members of the molluscan class Gastropoda which have coiled shells in the adult stage. (Those snails which do not have a shell or only a very small shell are usually called slugs. Snails which have a broadly conical shell which is not coiled, or appears not to be coiled, are most often known as limpets.)
Snails can be found in a wide range of different environments from ditches to deserts to the abyssal depths of the sea. The great majority of snail species are marine. Many others are terrestrial, and numerous kinds can be found in fresh water, and even brackish water. Many snails are herbivorous, though a few land species and many marine species are omnivores or predatory carnivores.
Although the average person might perhaps be more familiar with terrestrial snails, land snails are in the minority. Marine snails have much greater diversity, and a greater biomass. Snails which respire using a lung belong to the group Pulmonata, while those with gills form a paraphyletic group, in other words, snails with gills are divided into a number of taxonomic groups that are not very closely related.

Hope this article helped you understand your garden friends a little closer.

:)

Below is your common Land Snail

enjoy

Response to Snails: A guide 2008-10-03 00:44:37

wow, that is so amazing.

How great are snails?

I mean, c'mon you gotta luv em.

Response to Snails: A guide 2008-10-03 00:53:51

Thank you for this informative post. I, as well as Newgrounds as a whole, would like to express our gratitude, truly we are in unsermountable debt to you sir.

I speak for all of Newgrounds in saying this.

Thanks again.

Response to Snails: A guide 2008-10-03 00:55:51

Is it possible to HATE snails.

I mean there just so loveable

BBS Signature

Response to Snails: A guide 2008-10-03 00:55:58

Everything you need to know about snails.

Pouring salt on them dissolves them into snot very quickly

"This is my Kung Fu, and it is strong."

BBS Signature

Response to Snails: A guide 2008-10-03 01:03:41

I didn't bother to read your post... However, snails are indeed adorable. I sat down and watched one for a good five minutes once.

BBS Signature

Response to Snails: A guide 2008-10-03 01:05:51

At 10/3/08 01:03 AM, Brainoggin wrote: I didn't bother to read your post... However, snails are indeed adorable. I sat down and watched one for a good five minutes once.

Only five minutes? Damn! I could watch those little buggers all day. In fact, I wish there was one here right now, just so I could watch it drudge along. Their little slime trails are so freaking adorible, too.

BBS Signature

Response to Snails: A guide 2008-10-03 01:09:43

snails are actually one of my favourite species, i really want an african land snail

BBS Signature

Response to Snails: A guide 2008-10-03 01:10:02

snails are awesome and are not discussed enough!!

Response to Snails: A guide 2008-10-03 01:10:04

I like snails.

Yeah.

Response to Snails: A guide 2008-10-03 01:13:58

This is gonna turn out to be a great thread, we should all support it!

SNAIL POWER!

<3 Snails

Response to Snails: A guide 2008-10-03 01:14:31

Snails are nice to look at =D

Maple has gone reality

BBS Signature

Response to Snails: A guide 2008-11-10 03:15:01

No idea why, but someone (not naming names) asked me to post a "slug" picture, for comparison. :P

So here you go.