BBS Signature
johnnycancer
johnnycancer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-07 04:27:26

At 10/7/08 03:34 AM, Apeman1813 wrote: Well, can somebody give me an opinion? To be honest I kinda got lazy with the background... I wish I had a better editing program...

I like it, generally. The hand looks a little off though - I think if the index finger is pointed slightly upward, you'd see a little more of the bottom of the hand and the rest of the fingers would be at a different angle - or maybe it's fine, I'll admit that someone more knowledgeable should probably be the one to offer a criticism of anatomy and not me.

I think as far as background goes...I would make Uncle Tom slightly smaller, move him over to the right, with the slogan underneath him, and, on the left hand side of the picture I'd draw something along the lines of "Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima," but with Tankmen, possibly incorporating the Newgrounds city skyline into the background.

But yeah, I like what you've got so far - but you've still got 7 or 8 days left, so I know you can do more with it.

Also, what editing program are you using?

BBS Signature
Apeman1813
Apeman1813
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Movie Buff
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-07 04:42:46

At 10/7/08 04:27 AM, johnnycancer wrote:
At 10/7/08 03:34 AM, Apeman1813 wrote: Well, can somebody give me an opinion? To be honest I kinda got lazy with the background... I wish I had a better editing program...
I like it, generally. The hand looks a little off though - I think if the index finger is pointed slightly upward, you'd see a little more of the bottom of the hand and the rest of the fingers would be at a different angle - or maybe it's fine, I'll admit that someone more knowledgeable should probably be the one to offer a criticism of anatomy and not me.

I think as far as background goes...I would make Uncle Tom slightly smaller, move him over to the right, with the slogan underneath him, and, on the left hand side of the picture I'd draw something along the lines of "Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima," but with Tankmen, possibly incorporating the Newgrounds city skyline into the background.

But yeah, I like what you've got so far - but you've still got 7 or 8 days left, so I know you can do more with it.

Also, what editing program are you using?

Wow, thanks! That really helps and makes me feel like I'm not just wasting my time!

Right now, I'm using this demo program for the Mac called Pixelmater (you can see the logo in the center...). I picked it up because I wanted to do some sprite editing and whatnot and it came in handy for making the slogan. I wish I could have something like fireworks or photoshop, but they cost a bit too much money for something I would consider a toy and I doubt I would put excessive use in. Besides, the program I'm using isn't exactly bad, but it doesn't have all the bells and whistles I guess. I'm still getting used to it...

Problems? I don't have problems; I have issues. Problems can be solved.

JimmyPocket
JimmyPocket
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-07 07:44:13

some sort of elderly pico.

hilarity shall ensue.

trust me

[talk] Ng Print Calendar '09

Ajator
Ajator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-07 08:04:59

Also, regarding the subject matter: Is it acceptable or do I need to change the character into someone like Tom or a Tankman? It's based off the series sooo...

That's pretty sick, I would say just give him Captian googles, like half of them sticking out the bottom of his hat cause he is leaning.

johnnycancer
johnnycancer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-07 13:24:41

At 10/7/08 04:42 AM, Apeman1813 wrote: Right now, I'm using this demo program for the Mac called Pixelmater (you can see the logo in the center...). I picked it up because I wanted to do some sprite editing and whatnot and it came in handy for making the slogan. I wish I could have something like fireworks or photoshop, but they cost a bit too much money for something I would consider a toy and I doubt I would put excessive use in. Besides, the program I'm using isn't exactly bad, but it doesn't have all the bells and whistles I guess. I'm still getting used to it...

I'd recommend GIMP; it's a free program that I use, for basically the same reasoning that you have, which is that I don't want to spend upwards of $900 for software that is just for a hobby of mine. It's similar to Photoshop, although it's important to emphasize that it's not a substitute for Photoshop - Photoshop, from what I am told, has way more features. But, I use it primarily to digitally color art that I've drawn by hand, and I've never found myself wanting for anything in that respect.

I'm using it on Windows, so, I don't know what you need to do to run GIMP on a Mac, but, on the official GIMP page they've got a section about it:

http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/

Anyway, maybe that will help, although, I'm not sure what you were using your software for exactly, so, maybe not.

BBS Signature
catwoman1337
catwoman1337
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-07 15:30:19

Catoblepas IS the bestest

Apeman1813
Apeman1813
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Movie Buff
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-07 16:52:05

At 10/7/08 01:24 PM, johnnycancer wrote: I'd recommend GIMP; it's a free program that I use, for basically the same reasoning that you have, which is that I don't want to spend upwards of $900 for software that is just for a hobby of mine. It's similar to Photoshop, although it's important to emphasize that it's not a substitute for Photoshop - Photoshop, from what I am told, has way more features. But, I use it primarily to digitally color art that I've drawn by hand, and I've never found myself wanting for anything in that respect.

I'm using it on Windows, so, I don't know what you need to do to run GIMP on a Mac, but, on the official GIMP page they've got a section about it:

http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/

Anyway, maybe that will help, although, I'm not sure what you were using your software for exactly, so, maybe not.

I appreciate it. I tried to download it and get it to work on my Mac, but it seems more hassle than it's worth messing with it...

At 10/7/08 08:04 AM, Ajator wrote: That's pretty sick, I would say just give him Captian googles, like half of them sticking out the bottom of his hat cause he is leaning.

Thanks! I thought about making it look more like Tom or a Tankman, but I don't think giving him goggles would be right. It's suppose to be based of Uncle Sam which is kinda like the father of America at time so I made him look like Tom, but you can't really tell because I tilted his hat down to cover his eyes and didn't draw a nose, because you never see their eyes and noses in Tankmen.

I see about three or four options I'll do if I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO:
1. Just make it a tankman (which will make me sad because Uncle Sam is NOTHING like a soldier)
2. Tilt the hat up and make it look more like Tom
3. Remove the hat and make it a lot more like Tom
4. Draw the nose?

Ajator
Ajator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-07 16:59:43

Are we aloud to make it hand drawn? Maybe it would kinda look themey, I don't know.
But I kinda started a picture of The Savior, and it came out well I think.
Sorry about shitty quality, I didn't have time to scan it >____>

Apeman1813
Apeman1813
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Movie Buff
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-07 17:23:08

At 10/7/08 04:59 PM, Ajator wrote: Are we aloud to make it hand drawn? Maybe it would kinda look themey, I don't know.
But I kinda started a picture of The Savior, and it came out well I think.
Sorry about shitty quality, I didn't have time to scan it >____>

Damn Right you better be sorry for that shitty quality lol

I drew mine by hand when I felt satisfied I outlined it with a sharpie and scanned it. I only edited in the color and the background, but kudos to you if you can do it all by hand. I'm definitely not that talented lol.

Apeman1813
Apeman1813
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Movie Buff
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-07 17:26:56

Ohh, I just had a idea! Maybe a drawing/sketching on notebook paper would be a bad idea for a month like august when people go back to school!

Ajator
Ajator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-07 17:58:25

At 10/5/08 02:39 PM, JTricks wrote: This is just a random idea I had, it is nowhere near finished, I could improve the detail and mabye put it into a bigger scene or something. Please tell me what you think.

And Steve said that, not Captian. That's Captian's face.

WAaAzZAaA
WAaAzZAaA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-07 18:02:45

I love that Kuro re-touched his Pico Day contest entrie, it is sooo much better now.

ReNaeNae..where is you?

Viva Mexico Cabrones

BBS Signature
KupaMan
KupaMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-07 18:49:04

At 10/7/08 06:02 PM, WAaAzZAaA wrote: I love that Kuro re-touched his Pico Day contest entrie, it is sooo much better now.

ReNaeNae..where is you?

I like that when Kuro isn't tracing people's pictures, he's re-using old stuff he's submitted before.

I suck.

WAaAzZAaA
WAaAzZAaA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-07 18:58:47

I like that when Kuro isn't tracing people's pictures, he's re-using old stuff he's submitted before.

why tracing?

Viva Mexico Cabrones

BBS Signature
ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-07 19:25:49

At 10/7/08 04:59 PM, Ajator wrote: Are we aloud to make it hand drawn? Maybe it would kinda look themey, I don't know.

Hand drawn/painted is cool, as long as it meets the size/res requirements.

At 10/7/08 06:02 PM, WAaAzZAaA wrote: I love that Kuro re-touched his Pico Day contest entrie, it is sooo much better now.

I've told a couple of other people that they could submit things from before as long as they weren't 'exactly' the same.

I'm well aware of Kuro's past transgressions and people's animosity towards him, but please keep it out of this thread. Thanks.

johnnycancer
johnnycancer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-07 20:33:41

At 10/7/08 04:52 PM, Apeman1813 wrote: I see about three or four options I'll do if I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO:
1. Just make it a tankman (which will make me sad because Uncle Sam is NOTHING like a soldier)
2. Tilt the hat up and make it look more like Tom
3. Remove the hat and make it a lot more like Tom
4. Draw the nose?

Sorry GIMP didn't work out for you.

I don't really think you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO do anything - I actually thought that your concept was pretty clear, and I really like the basic design of Uncle Tom as is - at the very least, definitely don't make him a tankman and definitely don't remove the hat.

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-07 20:48:17

I like that one entry where the person just tiled all the downloads on the wallpaper page lmao.

what did that take him all of 2 mins?

None

AlmightyHans
AlmightyHans
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Filmmaker
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-07 20:59:11

At 10/5/08 02:04 PM, UnderARock wrote: I need an opinion :B
Textured

or this non textured

i adore this one.

BBS Signature
AlmightyHans
AlmightyHans
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Filmmaker
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-07 21:00:43

At 10/4/08 06:18 PM, DooDooMeaT wrote: I should have been working on my finals for school school but this seemed more important...

reminds me a bit of the one i made, except better in concept.

BBS Signature
UnderARock
UnderARock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-07 22:06:49

At 10/7/08 08:59 PM, AlmightyHans wrote:

i adore this one.

thanks hans, cool to hear :B

Kuro
Kuro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-07 23:38:01

Well, it's not so much 're-touched' as entirely redrawn.

But thank you.

Kuro - Puting the 'Kur' back in 'inkurable disease.'

BBS Signature
Apeman1813
Apeman1813
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Movie Buff
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-08 02:13:21

Well I added what I wanted to his hat finally. Sorry the background is all black right now, it used to be transparent before I wanted to show it. I was pissed off with the program that I had to improvise by printing the logo and then taking a picture of it while I curved the paper and then edit it into the picture of Uncle Tom I uploaded and I decided it looked like crap so I drew the whole goddamned thing again! Ugh, I feel like I went through hell, hopefully the background will be smooth sailing... hopefully...

KupaMan
KupaMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-08 02:30:11

Savory's is very cool. I haven't seen enough painterly style (in terms of composition and completion) submissions yet, so this is a welcome one.

I suck.

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-08 02:37:45

At 10/8/08 02:30 AM, KupaMan wrote: Savory's is very cool. I haven't seen enough painterly style (in terms of composition and completion) submissions yet, so this is a welcome one.

Very welcome! It brings a tear to my eye and joy to my ...other eye ...well, both eyes actually.

lol, wut?
Savory
Savory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-08 02:41:41

Thanks, I was aiming to be done friday....but I saved over my working file (don't ask). It's still basically what I wanted though. Just decided not to add some things.

ProjectsOfTheFunnyZ
ProjectsOfTheFunnyZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-08 06:48:07

Yay I finally I think finished one yay
What do you guys think
,And Savory....you bastard (Not in a bad way) You outdid us all yours is the shit your a shoo in
only one thing I would add is something in the BG like a cabinet or somethin

Sqeezy
Sqeezy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-08 07:43:57

oh man i almost let this just slip by due to sheer lazyness.

I am gonna do one just now.

Because my colours are mostly quite muddy I think I'll go claim november and fill it up with NG goodness,

no specific theme but the colourssheme (fosho')

EmmDubya
EmmDubya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-08 08:33:16

Sorry, I've been versioning it. I uploaded an older version.

High Res

In case you're wondering what the difference is, I've changed the size of the shading and added MwMike in the corner, it's where the name tag will be if it's put in the full calendar, so if it's chosen [unlikely] it will be covered.

Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature
BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to [talk] Ng Print Calendar '09 2008-10-08 09:58:18

Hooray for savory!