SpaceAndTime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Animation Trick o' the Day #8 2008-09-28 14:40:54 Reply

Animation trick o' the day #8
Spinning, flattened objects

Most of the tricks in this series are very advanced - however, I designed this tutorial for beginners. It's step-by-step and very easy to follow. A lot of flash animators know this trick, but a lot of them don't.

Also included inside this tutorial is an explanation on what I call "seamless looping," or, how to make something spin (and loop) without the usual two similar frames at the end and beginning of the tween. This is a flash detail that I see animators miss quite often.

This tutorial is also the prerequisite to making something I call "spin city," which is a great deal more advanced. (And yes, I did steal the technique from "Future.")
"Spin city" will be covered in Trick # 9, where knowledge of spinning, flattened objects and seamless looping is required.

Veiw trick 8 (swf)
Download trick 8 (swf)

Go to animation trick # 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Pictured below:
A screenshot from the .swf summarizing the symbol hierarchy.

Animation Trick o' the Day #8

Alpharius120
Alpharius120
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Animation Trick o' the Day #8 2008-09-28 14:55:28 Reply

You made a 30 frame spinning animation? there's a preset that allows you to choose how many frames you want it to rotate, and how quickly.

Hey yo

SpaceAndTime
SpaceAndTime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Animation Trick o' the Day #8 2008-09-28 15:00:24 Reply

At 9/28/08 02:55 PM, Alpharius120 wrote: You made a 30 frame spinning animation? there's a preset that allows you to choose how many frames you want it to rotate, and how quickly.

Is there? Could you show me? Maybe I'm old fashioned - I started learning how to animate with Flash 5 and now I use Flash 8 - not Flash 9.
Perhaps i should mention that all of these flash tricks work in flash 8 and above. (And probably down to flash 5 too)