00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

PopiSlim just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3

73,710 Views | 433 Replies

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-03-23 12:04:41

I'm currently on a hunt for music that can make my heart sing. I've just barely started to flirt thru all the songs here and my fingers are already dying from all these clicking. Is there anyway I can add all the songs to a playlist or something? For example, i search by genre, eg trance, would be great if there is an option to add all to playlist.

Or from the song page, at least have an option to auto go to next song? either next recommended song or next one in the genre.

if playlist is not feasible, if from the search/home page, would be good if there is a play button and maybe rate button next to the song title.

Same for author. Would be good if we can add all the songs from the author's page to a playlist. Or maybe have check boxes next to the songs, then we can choose to select all, or select some to listen to, and then have the option to auto switch to next song after the song is done, or to repeat the same song. Yes I know can select other songs from the same author from a drag down box. Unfortunately, I'm blessed with a poor memory, sometimes cannot remember whether i've listened to that song before.

When flirting thru all the songs from the same author, sometimes I might click on a song I've listened before (with blessings from my poor memory), so when I try to vote, it always say "click on an icon to vote on this" even if I've voted before. so would be good if it can show the the vote status.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-03-27 07:34:15

Read own reviews on a sub. If you go to the reviews of a sub you have already reviewed, it helpfully shows you what score you gave it. For people like the Review Club etc who do detailed reviews and get involved in peoples submissions it would be very useful if we could click on that 8/10 or whatever and go straight to our review. I quite often revisit older subs and wish to offer suggestions and help.

If there already is some quick way to get to your own review of a submission, I'm sorry I missed it.

We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-04-14 19:23:37

Ability for the creator of a thread to lock his / her own thread (after a certain number of non OP posts).

A restriction being that forum moderators can disallow this ability for specific users, much like they can ban specific users.

And the lock must be permanent.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-04-15 19:09:30

Audio Portal
Somewhere there should be staff selected audio for each genre, instead of it being only accessible through score. If you don't vote 5 constantly songs "die" and are never listened to again. NG needs to feature quality songs somehow, like they do to Art and Flash!!

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-04-18 10:08:18

I would like to see a option to disable the 1-5 point voting system from your songs so that people will have to actually review your track to judge it. This option should ofcourse be individually tagged since some people .. i guess.. do care about being popular on the front page or whatever. To people like me its just unnecaserry and im only zerobombed on a regular basis anyway so why should i bother with it.

If this idea has not been give yet.. i dont want to sound arrogant but i think its the best idea to deal with the zero bombing.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-04-23 08:08:17

ALL FORUM PAGE
A page that displays the most recent 5 threads of each forum so one doesn't have to keep going from forum to forum and can easier see what's going on in all the forums. Perhaps each Forum category (all-acces, artist & creator) has a different page.

RANDOM SUBMISSION AREA IN PORTALS
In the Audio portal mainly but possibly the other ones, if there was a list or area that displays several random submissions from the portal so that old submissions can still get viewed and don't go stale. Submissions with a score of less than 3 or 3.5 would be less likely to appear.

LEVELS OF SCOUTING
If there were 2 or several levels of being scouted so people who have potential and have fairly good art but aren't not good enough to be included with the main art portal then they could be half scouted or something similar so that there art is viewable in a secondary portal and they can still get reviews and hopefully improve. Alternatively make the unscouted submissions section open to everyone or advertise the art forum more and try and get more people creating personal threads.

don't be late | Collab101 | Australian Users List | Nayhan's actionScript examples > click

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-05-09 12:53:47

Here are two suggestions which may improve the reviewing system on NG:

Firstly, this idea has been posted once before in this thread, and I really like the idea: Having a comment AND review system. Almost all of the 'reviews' submitted to NG are actually just comments, and I think if you let people who want to leave one-liners post a 'comment' and people who want to give constructive criticism post a 'review'. You can make it that a review on a submission can only be written once and has a minimum amount of characters (say, 500 or something) whilst you can comment as many times as you want on a submission, similar to the Youtube comment system. This way, everyone's happy: reviewers are happy since they have their own place to post their reviews and the author can check that section to find out what can be improved in his/her track instead of finding useless one/two-liners saying 'THIS SUCKS' or 'AWESOME', and the commenters are happy since they are actually writing comments in a comments section not a reviews section and they get to post comments as much as they want.

Another addition which would REALLY be helpful, and very easy to implement too, would be when viewing 'new reviews' on your submissions. The 'new' reviews would mean the ones which have been posted on your submission within the past 2 days, right? Well, if you respond to the reviews, they can't be new anymore can they? I think that a review shouldn't be considered 'new' if you haven't responded to it for a whole 2 days, not simply if after 2 days it's not new anymore. If you respond to it within those 2 days, it's not new anymore, and if 2 days pass, it's not new anymore either. Maybe you could add an option to choose how new reviews can be marked, by a time period of 2 days or whether they're answered or not. That would really help if you're accustomed to answering to every review you get but you go on holiday or for some reason you don't access NG for a large amount of time. If you choose to make a review stay marked as new in your submissions list until you respond to it, then when you get access to NG again, you can easily see which reviews are still awaiting a response.

Also, I have a few suggestions for the search system on NG. I think the search system is almost useless, since if you want to look for a specific thread, and that thread has a name which you know (which is more than one word), then if you type that name down in the search bar, instead of showing the most relevant search result, it shows search results which contain one of the words as well. Perhaps you could add search filters, such as "threads made by <> only", "threads which aren't locked only", "threads with more/less than <> pages only", etc... An idea which has been posted in this thread that will also help the search system is being able to search in specific forums and not having to see results from other forums which are completely irrelevant. The character limits of more than 4 characters and less than 20 characters are pretty useless too.

Anyway, I hope you take these suggestions into consideration, since I believe NG will really benefit from them.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-05-11 12:13:55

I have an idea, what if there's a small bar under our avatar that shows little icons of the medals we've earned and we get to choose what medals to show(only 3 or 4 maybe).

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-05-28 08:24:14

I feel that our favorites list should be slightly modified.

This is how my favorites list appears now:

Movies

1 ................ 2

Games

1 ................ 5
2 ................ 6
3 ................ 7
4 ................ 8

This is how I feel that my list should appear:

Movies

1 ................ 2

Games

1 ................ 2
3 ................ 4
5 ................ 6
7 ................ 8

If you are good at comparing things and recognizing the differences, you will see that I eliminated certain inconsistencies in my proposed example. I originally posted this idea in the Where is / How to? section of the forums, but it's been suggested that I post it here instead. Anyway, I think that this would be an easy change to implement. Thank you for reading and considering my idea.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-05-31 09:42:16

I recently had a (now locked as I was sent here) thread on an idea to develop newgrounds further and enhance the animation community we have here. Here are a couple of posts (including my original) that pursue it as a logical stepping stone:
----------------------------------------
-----------------------
Hello,

I apologise if somebody's already suggested this or perhaps if it's a silly thought in general, but how about video hosting here on newgrounds?

By no means am I saying 'let's be the next youtube', far from it. I just feel that with the options that are opening up for the bedroom animator, things like use of after effects and proper editing tools, the limitations of the .SWF is becoming more and more apparent. With video hosting, Newgrounds could be opening up to a whole wealth of truly inspirational animation work. Just look at Vimeo: example videos. Most of the work in that favourites list is by student animators, and none of it is short of master work.

I just think that, with all the benefits of using .swf (the clarity and filesize), it skimps out on things like: being perfectly playable on most machines (graphics heavy animations), containing high end visual effects and sounds, compositing effects and more.

Everyone knows that imported flash video compresses itself terribly into an .swf, and the fact that its got to be kept in and around 10mb makes it even worse.

So please consider adding some kind of video publishing tool to Newgrounds, one that can go through the portal system and provide a vast amount of fairly instant exposure for the up and coming animator. If theres a problem with server rental or something like that, maybe give an embedding option that can go through the portal and be added to the newgrounds collection, rather than just being an illustrative piece for your profile blog.

----------------------------

"4). A film portal.
Tom has said before he will not do a Video portal youtube style because he wants to keep the site flash focused."

Just read this quote in a post added while I was writing this,
I agree, keeping Newgrounds flash oriented maintains its roots, but we could easily enforce 2D animation only submissions (I don't see why it should only be flash, traditional and otherwise digital 2D animation is perfectly as valid as a flash animation). Videos would still go through the portal, which is the perfect filtering system for this, but users could be informed of the rules beforehand.

------------------------------

I agree with OP, flash isn't the only animating software there is. An animation video portal would attract more animators who use other animating software other than flash. And the uploaded video has to be an animation.

--------------------------------

I think it's a great idea as long as all security measures were put into place to keep any exploits away. Flash isn't the only way to make cartoons. People already submit animations made in other software in .swf format, which compresses them to shit. I see no problem in allowing alternative animation mediums, especially since flash as a video format may be obsolete in the future according to current tech trends.

--------------------------------

I for one hope that something changes, either the 10 mb flash limit is made larger or some form of video hosting is put in, although if video hosting is put in i sincerely hope it has an even more strict blam/save system then the current flash one.

you know, keep the videos as high quality as the good flash movies here. not a dumping ground for bull crap like youtube and vimo.
Im currently working on an animation but i dont have flash, so im going to have to find some way to render out all my frames in a swf format with sufficient quality and size.. that's going to be a pain in the proverbial butt if the current size limit is 10 meg. im proboly going to have to upload a HD version to youtube and a low quality version here. and i don't wanna do that.

----------------------------------

"Let's be the next Vimeo."
"Thats more like it."

I don't see the point in trying to develop this, not because it would be new for the site, but because it already exists. Unless you're able to differentiate the service from Vimeo/Youtube, I doubt it would get much attention.

-----------------------------------

Newgrounds sets itself apart from things like Vimeo and Youtube because it has a strict filtering system in the portal- if your work isn't good enough, it won't make it through. I think a patrolled portal would hugely benefit the site. Here's my final thought:

Add a video portal yes, but don't focus it on being a 'video portal'- perhaps the best way around this is to simply change the 'Flash Portal' to an 'ANIMATION PORTAL' and include video uploading features within. That way, people would get that you can only upload animation.

Thanks to all the posters I have quoted here, if this gets through, I will personally thank you all by PM.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-06-02 23:46:40

It would be really nice if there was something like a 'celebrity' aura... for people who have no business being a mod but warrant some sort of 'distinction' *cough* swain *cough* egoraptor *cough... oh, excuse me, tickle in my throat there! ...as I was saying, people like Adam Philips, Edmund, Dan Paladin, those formerly listed as 'affiliates', etc. Maybe a Platinum aura, I dunno :P

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-06-04 13:52:51

The flash tutorials section confuses new users because there is no note of which tutorials are for AS2 or AS3.

I think the tutorials should be split into two sub groups between AS2 and AS3 or note it in the genre.

Without this, for new users who can't distinguish between the two, the tutorials section is useless and will cause more confusion than help.

Here is my original post I made asking about this.. http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1171 279

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-06-07 01:33:34

I looked through this thread, and didn't notice something like this. So hopefully Im not just saying something someone else has.

Every month, I notice Tom reminds people that its the monthly voting time, and I read awhile back that a lot of people don't vote. So I was thinking, why not put an indicator on the "My account" button to alert you.

I made a little mock-up to show what I mean. I didn't know if it would be better to have a "1", or a "!" so I used both.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-06-14 04:58:59

BBS-suggestion

Even though and [edit] button have been suggested and shot down numerous times, I'd like to elaborate a little:

- First, have new threads on the BBS come with a choise, you could click a box [tutorial], or leave it. When this is marked, the thread will have a tutorial-tag, where the OP can edit his first post.

I think this would help structuring the forum as far as tutorials go, and it'd be a good thing for NG if alot of flash-noobs (or programming or audio or art noobs) came here, and could find alot of good information very easily. I know the NG WIKI will serve this purpose to some degree, but the power of having the everyday user be able to make tutorials like this on the BBS would be really good, I think.

Of course the [tutorial] box would only apply in certain forums.

Wakka wakka

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-06-17 06:22:59

I noticed that after one gets review banned, when he is able to review again he has to tick a checkbox that he read and understood the guidlines. And while most bans are just for a few days, this lasts for months! I think there shouldn't be an exta extra penality like this. It would be better if there was a link in the ban notification insted with a messege like this "Check the review guidelines to avoid further bans!".
I call this thing an extra penality becouse I don't think it makes anyone better; it just annoyes the users. For example I've been here for a pretty long while now, I have more than 300 reviews, of course I've read and understood the guidlines. But if one writes negative reviews too, especially if they are with low score, there is always a risk of getting banned becouse those are borderline category according to the guidelines; a mod anytime can feel you weren't constructive enough. (Especially if the reviewed flash happens to be one of his favorites.)

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-06-20 23:39:30

At 9/25/08 02:06 AM, Bloodman101 wrote: Going with your suggestion I reckon we should be able to choose a weapon before your level.. example; say if you were level 12, but you loved the lv 5 icon, you can switch weapons that you've previously been. :D. I would love that idea. But it still says lvl 12 under your weapon.

That was exactly the same suggestion i posted a few seconds ago, darn it, well you suggested it first so, credit goes to you!

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-06-21 17:35:11

With the code-html, instert line-numbers on each new line within the code. it'd make it alot easier to refer to code on certain lines when discussing stuff.

Wakka wakka

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-06-22 09:52:30

I talked about this in the discussion thread and everything pointed towards it being a positive thing. Now let's see if it's something that can be implemented or not.

When leaving reviews there is a little situation that always occurs. The submissions that need the reviews, which are the submissions that aren't very good and need improving, tend to be deleted by the author later on. So the problem is if a helpful user is going around and reviewing the things that really need reviews their going to get punished for it later when the review gets deleted because the author wants to get rid of their bad submissions.

I would like to recommend that when an author deletes a submission that our review total doesn't drop.

Reasons:

1) It will motivate people to review submissions that really need to be reviewed without worry of the author making their review count go down. With reviews going to the right place the quality of the portals will go up.

2) It'll keep reviewers motivated to keep coming back to review more often. I don't know how many times that I've decided to retire from reviewing because it was just impossible to actually keep moving up the rankings if I didn't write tons of reviews.

So, I think it's going to be a positive for newgrounds in all. The bad things can be fixed in a way that Malachy and I discussed in the discussion thread.

If a submission is deleted the review would still have to be markable as abusive on the obituary page and on the users review section to prevent people from reviewing bad submissions with really short one worders in hopes of the author deleting them so they can have a high count while their reviews wouldn't be visible anymore.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-06-26 20:04:12

Embedding cartoons and games, like Youtube, would be nice

/

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-06-26 22:17:16

We all know many post vicious or just plain stupid reviews on flashes and those get flagged and removed. But what about the artist's comments? Some, mostly KK's, are worse than the review they responded too. There should be an option to flag the artist's comments separately from the review.

<(ò_ó)>

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-06-27 08:33:49

Adding the ability to PM ourselves.
I thought of it because it comes in handy to keep private notes about NG, like which accounts are who's alts and other such info you wouldn't want to just scribble on a blog post where everyone can see it. It also keeps notes about NG in NG, for personal organization's sake. I just find it useful.
I also can't think of a real reason why we can't do this. There are already caps on how much space everyone's Inbox can take, so... can't see a real issue with it.

Translator, time traveller, aerospace engineer, and voodoo priest extraordinaire.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-06-27 17:01:02

Embed options for the dump?

I think this would be a cool idea, so you could link your submission in say your blog.

It could work exactly like a youtube embed. Therefore, making it easier for people to share their ideas.

The kind of old they just don't make anymore!

[Had your submission unpublished? Click here!]

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-07-05 19:34:48

Stats on your userpage for how many reviews you've received on your Flash/Audio/Art Portal stuff, how many you've responded to, and a percentage for how many you've responded to.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-07-16 21:44:46

it would be cool if newgrounds could host txt files for use in flash-games. you could save levels and configs and gamebalances in txt files so you dont have to update the .swf , updating the swf when its spread over the galaxy is next to imposeble and if you use the update on spi that pokes the red sqere up then ppl will probobly get iritated mostly. also all portals dont want to do that maintinence of updating.
some server suport would also be realy cool, then you could build realy advanced stuff with php.
also we would get more games with scoreboards.

or does newgrounds have a scoreboard solution for flash devs?

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-07-24 18:33:40

I think when they make the update, instead of only showing AIM as an instant messenger, they should allow you to select what messenger you have.

Also, when on the userpages where it shows favorite flash and favorite audio and stuff, when you click on any of those links, they take you to the favorites page, forcing you to scroll down through favorites and find the specific favorite category you're looking for (which would be a pain if they have tons of favorites)

Maybe they could set up some anchor point sorta thing so that it'd take you to a certain part of the page? I don't know.

The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-07-26 07:54:47

Wylo and TurkeyonaStick told me to come here, so here I go:
I used to be registered on a site that would sell special privilege packages to users who wanted to remove ads, advertise their businesses, etc. We should have something similar for Newgrounders, maybe make them pay $10 or so a month to remove ads from their browsing experience.

Also to add onto something a PP suggested, we could add a censor that automatically screens for URLs of malicious Web sites and filters them to a series of asterisks. There should be a feature such as a special thread where users can report such sites so they can be added to the filter, and of course all reports have to be checked for abuse. Possible examples of "bad" sites would be Whale.to or the KKK's Web site.

Finally we DESPERATELY need some version of stickies for threads. If a mod or someone else without the privileges to make news posts posts something important in the BBS, it needs to be readily visible and not buried under a deluge of other threads.

I maek lolz. I play Steam. I fight for genital integrity.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-07-27 12:23:09

A very good idea i have is to block viewing inappropiate content, just when you view somthing rated A for adult it blocks you. Making you sign in or sign up, this will help stop thoose kiddies from viewing you know what. If someone registers as 18 or older then he/she can view the content. I doubt kiddies can register on newgrounds without email.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-07-27 22:15:51

I made a thread about how the medal game page could have a search feature. It's actually very simple on how it works, it will be a part of the games with medals page and narrows down the games based on what genre they are (action, strategy, puzzles, etc.) and as another option you choose to be more specific to narrow down your search even more. (Action's fighting, platformer, and shooter have another branch each) I have seen almost EVERY genre of game on that list at least once, and we have over 200 games with medals, so I really think this could work. It won't be really an important or useful feature, but it will be a nice little thing to have. It will also help out some people narrow down their search by what games they enjoy most and start with them.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-07-28 21:16:26

Showing a user's e-mail on his/her page would be a nifty feature. AIM is kind of unreliable for contacting purposes, and really only is good for basic chatting.

It gets quite tiring as a voice actor having to send someone my e-mail... over... and over... AND OVER again.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 2010-07-30 13:11:57

It would be nice to get some sort of notification when someone comments on my blog or replies to my reviews.

Find me on Facebook!