00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Breakfast-Crow just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Electronic EP - Get involved!

23,160 Views | 369 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-19 15:40:03

At 10/19/08 03:16 PM, nal1200 wrote: CURRENT ARTIST LIST! :D :D :D
*List*
SPOTS ARE NOW FULL, MAX LIMIT REACHED! >:(

Yay! I made it on XD

I has Photoshop, so I could maek us a cover. But I would have to know what you wanted, in terms of colour and themes +P

My Music | Me | F-777 | Kr1z | Audio Portal | For teh lulz ^^

BBS Signature

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-19 16:29:39

Well, I can do summit in PS for you guys as well, but you know people are welcome to submit ideas.

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-19 20:24:02

If you know photoshop, feel free to express your talent :)

Themes would obviously be related to electronic things, space?, time, synthetic fluids, etc etc

Try and make something that would stand out amongst the other electronic album covers out there.

Looking forward to the ideas!

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-19 20:34:43

Here is a question for Nal and everyone else to ponder...

How much of the proceeds is Nal taking and what about income taxes and all that good stuff.

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-19 21:52:18

At 10/19/08 08:34 PM, heartless1298 wrote: How much of the proceeds is Nal taking and what about income taxes and all that good stuff.

lol, its all on the first page buddy. READ BEFORE POSTING >:O

<3

BBS Signature

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-19 22:47:47

Woot! I made it on!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-19 23:21:33

Yeah, whoot to all that are on.

I have been working on a song lately that is almost ready.

Zellers, I'm curious as to how cool it comes out after you get it back from the studio. I've been thinking about getting some stuff professionally finished, but I'm worried about costs and the end product.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Audio Surgery

I got my wisdom teeth fing pulled

BBS Signature

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-20 00:09:15

Well basically, you make a song... but not just any song, it has to be bloody amazing! You want it mixed as best as you can possibly have it mixed. That is your main focus. Ensure that everything is EQ'd to the best of your ability * infinity. Nothing should be on the master track, not even an EQ, especially no compressor/limiter. Then have it peaking around -6 db to -3 db, no clipping.

When you send it to a mastering engineer, all that they are doing is harming the dynamic range of the sound, sacrificing it for loudness (which is generally a good thing, when done properly). They EQ the whole track to near perfection, reducing anything that is needed etc.

In the end, the important thing to remember is "Garbage in, garbage out" and vice versa.

Generally, a low-end mastering job costs about $40-$70. A mastering house would cost several thousands of dollars, so I wouldn't even recommend worrying about them.

Good luck to everyone with their track!

Thanks Zellers, you have a ton of experience and a wealth of knowledge we all could learn from.

I found this place just the other day, and its like 10 minutes from my house.

http://www.casoundstudios.com/musicians.
php

(thats the mastering rates page)

Man, I typically have like 6 things on my Master channel...and Of course I have a limiter on it at 0db.... I guess I have to change that habit sometime down the road when I'm using a professional mastering. But until then...lol. So i'm guessing its totally worth it to send your stuff to be professionally done.

K, well i'm going to get in the habit of not touching the master channel, i rely too much on it.

Thanks Zellers.

Audio Surgery

BBS Signature

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-20 01:12:19

I can't do 3:58 seconds for a Trance song lol. Does that mean I should drop out or something?

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-20 01:33:15

Can u PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure my name on the album is Danred?!!

and to save HEAPS of hassle because im sure everyones song exceeds the limit. if we just do 2 albums??? this would allow us to split up the songs partly by genre aswell. while everyone can have their 5min 30 long songs :D

DaNReD

BBS Signature

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-20 01:38:03

At 10/20/08 01:33 AM, danredda wrote: Can u PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure my name on the album is Danred?!!

and to save HEAPS of hassle because im sure everyones song exceeds the limit. if we just do 2 albums??? this would allow us to split up the songs partly by genre aswell. while everyone can have their 5min 30 long songs :D

also i had an idea for a front cover XD

black background, a skull xray wearing big headphones. be heaps easy to make too.

also we need an album name.....??

DaNReD

BBS Signature

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-20 03:04:26

At 10/20/08 01:12 AM, Mrmilkcarton wrote: I can't do 3:58 seconds for a Trance song lol. Does that mean I should drop out or something?

Not at all, I'll explain why below...

:Can u PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure my name on the album is Danred?!!

Lol yeah of course.

The idea about the two albums is a very, very good idea, but if we are to do, we need to decide how to separate the two, keeping mind to keep track numbers equal. This way everyone will still receive an equal portion of the total "album" downloads.

The first method that comes to mind is separating the tracks by the mood. One could be for lighter, dance type songs and the second could be for darker, more experimental songs.

Accordingly, the albums would be "Synthetica Vol. 1" and "Synthetica Vol. 2" replacing the name with whatever one we choose in the long run.

Though, this whole decision itself is based on whether or not everyone replies to the e-mail I will be sending out inquiring about song durations, progress, and genre. If we have a lot of people not responding, the number will be cut down and we will probably stick to one album. If, one the other hand, everyone responds then we will likely have two volumes.

So, simply put, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it (which will be within a week or two.)

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-20 03:59:34

I can see the two album thing working. Considering alot of people will be over 3min because of there chosed genre (which may require a long intro/outro, such as trance), it would be good to allow more time for the individual songs. Also, people will probably be more willing to pay for a longer song as appossed to a shorter one =p

Yea...

BBS Signature

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-20 04:28:49

If some ppl make a 3minutes track, then mrmilkcarton can make his 6 minutes track =P

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-20 15:23:10

At 10/20/08 03:59 AM, Nintechno wrote: I can see the two album thing working. Considering alot of people will be over 3min because of there chosed genre (which may require a long intro/outro, such as trance), it would be good to allow more time for the individual songs. Also, people will probably be more willing to pay for a longer song as appossed to a shorter one =p

Yea...

Right.

The time constraint SHOULD NOT intimidate anyone. If we need more space, we'll make two volumes, simple as that.

Just focus on making the best track musically and technically as you can, no matter if it's 2 minutes or 10.

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-20 19:46:43

K thats good to hear. I need to get a USB mouse for my laptop still so I'm stuck halfway done with a song that needs to be finished.

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-20 19:53:41

At 10/19/08 09:52 PM, Nintechno wrote:
At 10/19/08 08:34 PM, heartless1298 wrote: How much of the proceeds is Nal taking and what about income taxes and all that good stuff.
lol, its all on the first page buddy. READ BEFORE POSTING >:O

<3

I did read before posting. He talked about the profit, not proceeds. Proceeds comes before profit. Also he said nothing about taxes.

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-21 00:16:13

You know, I really like the two album idea. And the fact that it still constitutes 1 collective project we are all sharing in. I'm game for that. Um, I was thinking I would like feedback on my song... but I don't want to upload it to NG. Is there anyone else that wants feeback on their songs? Or am I the only one ? I would like some, since NG is my major source for reviews.... and I would like to be able to do some final editing before getting it on the CD.

I was also wondering, since we're all going to have different mastering... is there going to be a volume issue for the cd? Like some songs that are really quiet, going after songs that are really LOUD, even if they are the same genre. Or should I even care or worry about this?

Audio Surgery

BBS Signature

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-21 02:04:44

Heartless1298 said:

"I did read before posting. He talked about the profit, not proceeds. Proceeds comes before profit. Also he said nothing about taxes."

There are two sources of income in this project: Album sales and song sales.

Album sales happen when someone pays to download the entire album for X amount of dollars. Individual songs are self-explanatory.

Each artist will receive an equal amount of the album sales and will receive their respective song sales.

If for example (and these numbers are small for simplicity,) we sell 2 albums and 4 songs, the amount earned from those two albums is split entirely towards everyone, and the 4 songs' earnings will go to whomever owns the songs sold.

We are, however, at the mercy of iTunes and Tunecore when it comes to middlemen profits. As I mentioned in the original post, the terms of service on Tunecore.com explain that iTunes gives artists 70% of sales, so if we sell $1,000 worth of music, we will receive $700 of it.

As i've said before, this is based gestures of faith as I am paying for all launching expenses out of my own pocket.

At 10/21/08 12:16 AM, RenoakRhythm wrote: You know, I really like the two album idea. And the fact that it still constitutes 1 collective project we are all sharing in. I'm game for that. Um, I was thinking I would like feedback on my song... but I don't want to upload it to NG. Is there anyone else that wants feeback on their songs? Or am I the only one ? I would like some, since NG is my major source for reviews.... and I would like to be able to do some final editing before getting it on the CD.

I was also wondering, since we're all going to have different mastering... is there going to be a volume issue for the cd? Like some songs that are really quiet, going after songs that are really LOUD, even if they are the same genre. Or should I even care or worry about this?

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-21 02:06:08

At 10/21/08 12:16 AM, RenoakRhythm wrote: You know, I really like the two album idea. And the fact that it still constitutes 1 collective project we are all sharing in. I'm game for that. Um, I was thinking I would like feedback on my song... but I don't want to upload it to NG. Is there anyone else that wants feeback on their songs? Or am I the only one ? I would like some, since NG is my major source for reviews.... and I would like to be able to do some final editing before getting it on the CD.

...and I completely forgot to respond to your post! lol sorry for the DP.

What most of us have done so far is simply send out an e-mail to everyone on the mailing list (found in the e-mails I send out) with a sample of the song and people help each other out.

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-21 06:31:22

There are two sources of income in this project: Album sales and song sales.

Album sales happen when someone pays to download the entire album for X amount of dollars. Individual songs are self-explanatory.

Each artist will receive an equal amount of the album sales and will receive their respective song sales.

If for example (and these numbers are small for simplicity,) we sell 2 albums and 4 songs, the amount earned from those two albums is split entirely towards everyone, and the 4 songs' earnings will go to whomever owns the songs sold.

We are, however, at the mercy of iTunes and Tunecore when it comes to middlemen profits. As I mentioned in the original post, the terms of service on Tunecore.com explain that iTunes gives artists 70% of sales, so if we sell $1,000 worth of music, we will receive $700 of it.

As i've said before, this is based gestures of faith as I am paying for all launching expenses out of my own pocket.

Ah, OK. So Tuncore and iTunes is taking care of the taxes? I just don't want some of my favorite artists getting fucked by the government... Yes, ypu too Nal, you're one of my favorite artists (lol)

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-21 10:29:33

Ok I'm having trouble categorizing my song. I sent it to you guys via email a while ago, have a listen and lemme know what YOU think.

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-21 15:45:22

At 10/21/08 10:29 AM, Chymo wrote: Ok I'm having trouble categorizing my song. I sent it to you guys via email a while ago, have a listen and lemme know what YOU think.

I think miscellaneous works well.

And as for heartless...

I don't believe (to the best of my knowledge) there are sales taxes for digital download sales. I know there are for ebay/amazon purchases, but I know that if you were to purchase an iTunes giftcard at best buy for $15, you would literally pay the best buy cashier $15 even, and then it directly transfers into iTunes at 99 cents per song.

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-21 17:15:53

YAR! I got a hold of mindchamber and he removed the track for me. Gotta love the guy. He always responds to my queries, no matter how stupid they are. If the link in the email thingy didn't pan out, here's the current version of my mix. I did a lot of panning/ re-mastering so it should be quite noticeably different than the original track, but I also plan on adding a few extra background intangibles/ melodies.

I'm curious, would it be alright if I grabbed a sample from a movie for added track character? I know the legal issues regarding sampling, but hey, the pros get away with it all the time...

quarl BandCamp

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-21 19:36:51

And as for heartless...

I don't believe (to the best of my knowledge) there are sales taxes for digital download sales. I know there are for ebay/amazon purchases, but I know that if you were to purchase an iTunes giftcard at best buy for $15, you would literally pay the best buy cashier $15 even, and then it directly transfers into iTunes at 99 cents per song.

Oh, OK. Thanks Nal!! If you do this again sometime, let me know because I would like to be part of it.

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-21 22:29:20

At 10/21/08 05:15 PM, Quarl wrote: YAR! I got a hold of mindchamber and he removed the track for me. Gotta love the guy. He always responds to my queries, no matter how stupid they are. If the link in the email thingy didn't pan out, here's the current version of my mix. I did a lot of panning/ re-mastering so it should be quite not

Your song is great. I approve. very nicely done.

:P

-RR

Audio Surgery

BBS Signature

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-22 11:36:15

At 10/21/08 03:45 PM, nal1200 wrote:
At 10/21/08 10:29 AM, Chymo wrote: Ok I'm having trouble categorizing my song. I sent it to you guys via email a while ago, have a listen and lemme know what YOU think.
I think miscellaneous works well.

That's what I said, but DanRed thought I should be more specific.

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-22 11:43:55

At 10/21/08 05:15 PM, Quarl wrote:

here's the current version of my mix. I did a lot of panning/ re-mastering so it should be quite noticeably different than the original track, but I also plan on adding a few extra background intangibles/ melodies.

Sorry Quarl, I overlooked your post. Nice catchy tune, but I think the drums need to be bassier. Also I didn't like the drum break at 3:13. It's too simple, make it more extravagant. Had me and my bro raving though =P

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-22 14:24:53

At 10/22/08 11:43 AM, Chymo wrote:
Sorry Quarl, I overlooked your post. Nice catchy tune, but I think the drums need to be bassier. Also I didn't like the drum break at 3:13. It's too simple, make it more extravagant. Had me and my bro raving though =P

If your bro raving, cool. That's the vibe I was going for... sort of. I had some people that really liked that break, so if anyone else wants it changed, nows the time to let me know.

I'll work on making those drums bassier. General opinion is that the snare is too bright. Kick can probably be a little better too. Thanks for the feedback.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Electronic EP - Get involved! 2008-10-22 18:28:11

Yeah, the snare is too tin-ey. Needs to be a bit mor crunchy. Kick could do with a bit boosting as well.