00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

So I'm in a studio

1,739 Views | 25 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

So I'm in a studio 2008-09-17 16:25:33

I'm writing this from a professional studio. My songs sound like crap on these speakers, and I thought I had mixed some of them perfectly.

If you're serious about producing music, getcher ass into a studio for the bitter truth. :(

just thought I'd share my sorrow

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-17 16:28:28

Surely if you just get monitors at home it'd be just the same?

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-17 16:31:26

At 9/17/08 04:28 PM, Ambimetric wrote: Surely if you just get monitors at home it'd be just the same?

very expensive monitors.

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-17 16:32:16

At 9/17/08 04:25 PM, Rig wrote: I'm writing this from a professional studio. My songs sound like crap on these speakers, and I thought I had mixed some of them perfectly.

If you're serious about producing music, getcher ass into a studio for the bitter truth. :(

just thought I'd share my sorrow

trust me... i know the feeling... :(

but hey, if there's someone who work there around - ask then why it smells like sountechnican in there. or WHAT DIS BUTTON DO??!! and then press alot of buttons.

also, the studio aint gonna give you the bitter truth... it''s just just gonna give you alot of clarity of what's going on in your mixes - tracks can sound like shit when studio mixed, and still good in various systems, and vice versa...

you want the truth? YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH! unless you check your songs in as many system as possible... then you'll know what sounds like kaka and what's good. :)

Wakka wakka

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-17 16:33:15

At 9/17/08 04:28 PM, Ambimetric wrote: Surely if you just get monitors at home it'd be just the same?

nononononoononono, you don't just listen to a set of monitors when you mix, you listen to the whole damn room, the environment you're in. where you're at in the room also matter - alot.

Wakka wakka

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-17 16:34:41

At 9/17/08 04:32 PM, Rucklo wrote: you want the truth? YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH! unless you check your songs in as many system as possible... then you'll know what sounds like kaka and what's good. :)

What's good is that it's a university studio that's literally right outside my door and I can go there pretty much any time I please. SO WATCH OUT LOL I SHAL MAEK GUD ADIO SUNE!

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-17 16:36:20

At 9/17/08 04:34 PM, Rig wrote:
At 9/17/08 04:32 PM, Rucklo wrote: you want the truth? YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH! unless you check your songs in as many system as possible... then you'll know what sounds like kaka and what's good. :)
What's good is that it's a university studio that's literally right outside my door and I can go there pretty much any time I please. SO WATCH OUT LOL I SHAL MAEK GUD ADIO SUNE!

cool, but don't forget to check in your dads crappy carstereo, or your crappy mini-speakers on your cellphone, or your clockradio or other small and crappy systems - the yall contribute to the audio-iimage that is THE TRUTH!

Wakka wakka

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-17 16:38:38

At 9/17/08 04:36 PM, Rucklo wrote: cool, but don't forget to check in your dads crappy carstereo, or your crappy mini-speakers on your cellphone, or your clockradio or other small and crappy systems - the yall contribute to the audio-iimage that is THE TRUTH!

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE OH NOES
Hm, well some of my songs already sound good on my home stereo, so that's 1 down, infinity to go.

I wish I had lackeys to do it for me.

BBS Signature

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-17 16:43:39

if you don't mind, I will just make my music at home ;)

I have a really descent pair of headphones that have a real high end output range (dont give me the 18KHz crap... thats standard and sucks). Problem I have with studios is that Studio A doesnt sound as Studio B... the accoustics are always different, and besides that, I prefer to make my stuff at home where I am surrounded with beercans and such ;)

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-17 16:43:47

At 9/17/08 04:38 PM, Rig wrote: THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE OH NOES
Hm, well some of my songs already sound good on my home stereo, so that's 1 down, infinity to go.

I wish I had lackeys to do it for me.

once one get the thumb out of the ass, checking other systems etc. is actually really fun - you learn both the systems, the environment they're in and alot about your own mixing skills - also, you'll learn your own system alot better by comparing. after a while you'll be like "hey, this hihat souns like a tincan around 5kHz", but you'll know that it's not the samples, nor the soundcard or anything else in the chain that's faulty - it's your speakers! (or it could be some other part in the chain in all honesty, this was just an example... hell, it could even be the fact that you've got a mirror behind you that reflects shit and make it sounds like a fucking bathroom with bouncing soundwaves all around :).

Wakka wakka

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-17 16:55:56

suddenly me thinks I should take down my wallpaper made entirely out of mirrors

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-17 17:06:16

To all of you people who mix on headphones:

You don't get the imaging necessary using headphones... Do yourselves a favor and invest in some decent reference monitors. Then use various test systems to make adjustments. Also, as long as the room has decent cubic footage and no parallel walls, standing waves shouldn't be too much of a problem. Broadband absorbers and bass traps are essential to get a good monitoring environment. The environment is JUST as important as the speakers...remember that.

Also, egg crates DON'T do anything, so if you have 'em, rip them down right now!

-Joel

- email jrhager84@gmail if interested in voice acting/ music/ production/ mixing etc. -

BBS Signature

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-17 17:40:22

Eh, that involves money. No parallel walls? Rebuilding my room wasn't on my list of things to do. I don't think the landlord would appreciate it either. :]

I haz
- the ear buds for my Zen,
- some TV headphones (18-22Khz),
- a pair of Phillips wireless headphones (they don't get as much bass as the TV's, but go louder and cut out if there's clipping),
- a cheap and nasty surround set from wallys world,
- and a CD player from MoS that seems to be set up specifically for Fatboy Slim...

Doesn't matter too much at the moment anyway - I'm still pulling together tutorials anyway, and don't expect to get into it properly for a couple of months at least. Damn thee, work~!

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-17 18:07:44

I went to my universities studio the other day and I was literally just walking around with my mouth wide open. I was just amazed to see how many instruments there are that can manipulate your audio. It was really a sight.

..............The Guide to Newgrounds Audio

Latest Track: Phoenix

BBS Signature

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-17 18:17:51

At 9/17/08 04:31 PM, MaestroRage wrote:
very expensive monitors.

Fair enough. The only monitors I've used are the ones in the studios at my college.
They're fairly nice. And I always end up on my own? So I like sit there with the volume right up damaging my long term hearing no doubt.

Doing a mixdown on them is actually amazing fun, though. I get tired of using headphones at home.

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-17 18:43:18

I guess I'm fortunate mine sound good in a studio?

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-17 19:30:46

At 9/17/08 04:55 PM, MaestroRage wrote: suddenly me thinks I should take down my wallpaper made entirely out of mirrors

All he means is that you shouldn't be mixing in your bedroom :D

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-17 21:13:01

At 9/17/08 05:40 PM, Maltloaf wrote: Eh, that involves money. No parallel walls? Rebuilding my room wasn't on my list of things to do. I don't think the landlord would appreciate it either. :]

I haz
- the ear buds for my Zen,
- some TV headphones (18-22Khz),
- a pair of Phillips wireless headphones (they don't get as much bass as the TV's, but go louder and cut out if there's clipping),
- a cheap and nasty surround set from wallys world,
- and a CD player from MoS that seems to be set up specifically for Fatboy Slim...

Doesn't matter too much at the moment anyway - I'm still pulling together tutorials anyway, and don't expect to get into it properly for a couple of months at least. Damn thee, work~!

You don't have to tear down your walls to break up the waves... you just construct broadband absorbers, and bass traps, and place them strategically throughout your mixing environment. You buy a dB meter and do a freq. sweep of your space. Then you use this program (I can't recall the name) that tells you what density of rockwool/Owens Corning fiberglass to use, and how many bass traps etc. People like to bitch about how their mixes are weak, but are too cheap to invest in the essential tools needed to make a mix sound great.... like decent converters for instance...

I'm not implying you, I'm just stating something that has to be put out there.

-Joel

- email jrhager84@gmail if interested in voice acting/ music/ production/ mixing etc. -

BBS Signature

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-17 21:43:33

I hate mastering. Why did you have to bring up this topic rig, why?

quarl BandCamp

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-17 21:56:47

At 9/17/08 09:43 PM, Quarl wrote: I hate mastering. Why did you have to bring up this topic rig, why?

The fact that my collab made you flaccid wasn't enough. I wanted you to have insomnia over mastering worries.

BBS Signature

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-18 01:53:29

fuck all this technical crap, i cant even use a 3 band EQ properly.

BBS Signature

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-18 02:52:42

At 9/18/08 01:53 AM, S3C wrote: fuck all this technical crap, i cant even use a 3 band EQ properly.

what's eq? :o

Indescriptive topic names have left me in despair!

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-18 05:49:43

At 9/17/08 04:33 PM, Rucklo wrote:
nononononoononono, you don't just listen to a set of monitors when you mix, you listen to the whole damn room, the environment you're in. where you're at in the room also matter - alot.

Indeed. For example. Before I really let a song loose on da internet, I give it a listen on as much boxes, headphones as possible. It's really helpful in many resorts. Listening from a distance also helps to pick some things out of the mix.

I think if we all had a prof. studio set up, our mixes would sound a hole lot different. I mean, it's still pretty impressiv to get songs done in your "bedroom" with a good tad of quality. So don't cry little EmoRig, it's all good boy. Here have a cocky! ^_ ^

fag! >:(

I are pwnan teh lollbarian!

...SoS - We rape responsibly...

BBS Signature

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-19 14:05:23

I can change my environment settings on my computer but thats just artificial :(
i generally "fine tune" synths with headphones, especially bass.

BBS Signature

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-19 17:10:09

At 9/19/08 02:05 PM, TjA wrote: I can change my environment settings on my computer but thats just artificial :(
i generally "fine tune" synths with headphones, especially bass.

You're missing the point. Whatever "environment" you create in the box also mixes with whatever environment you're actually sitting in... Remember, sound is vibrating air basically, so whatever room you're in has different qualities, which is why testing on numerous test systems is a must.

BBS Signature

Response to So I'm in a studio 2008-09-19 18:29:44

MASTERING FUCK YEAH.

I want to get into my universities audio studio. But first I want to get into the media lab and mess around with the (very nice) cameras.

You will lol, and you will like it.

BBS Signature