00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MatthieuxDancingDead just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

newgrounds is for assholes

9,106 Views | 174 Replies

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-09-10 16:11:24

I have submitted a track to the audio portal and I'm waiting for a screening or something.

In the intro there's a sample from an old film.

After reading this thread I still don't know if my track will just be discarded or not.. will I receive information regarding whether or not my work has been deleted or just be left waiting for it to appear?

Thanks

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-09-10 17:20:30

At 9/10/08 04:11 PM, CoLD-StatiStics wrote: I have submitted a track to the audio portal and I'm waiting for a screening or something.

After reading this thread I still don't know if my track will just be discarded or not.. will I receive information regarding whether or not my work has been deleted or just be left waiting for it to appear?

Thanks

Clips (if I'm not mistaken) are acceptable as long as they're not something in entirety. If you had a TV ad, you could technically flash something (anything) in the background for a second and get away with it. It has to do with something being the main substance of your work. A "clip" isn't going to be illegal. Hell, my Beverly Hills Cop Mix has Axel Foley lines from the movie in it. It's all creative-commons.... ;)

- email jrhager84@gmail if interested in voice acting/ music/ production/ mixing etc. -

BBS Signature

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-09-10 17:27:30

At 9/9/08 05:40 AM, Nintechno wrote:
At 9/9/08 03:33 AM, sorohanro wrote: and violin ... why using violin if you can be cool and play guitar ?
lol, dont you DARE insult the violin!!!! The strings are the most bestist and awesomesomist parts of music! Haha!

almost thought you said, "COMMUNIST parts of music..."

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-09-10 20:24:07

At 9/10/08 06:36 AM, sorohanro wrote:
At 9/10/08 03:53 AM, jossospro wrote:
At 9/8/08 11:30 PM, jrhager84 wrote:
Yeah, the guy you quoted obviously doesn't know anything about anything.

a bunch of stuff foel wrote

Grow up dude,

-Joel
P.S. I operate a home-studio and use both analog AND digital sounds for mixing. Blasphemy? I think im gay
not sure wtf ur saying plz sexplain in english
Hi josh, welcome to the world of music where musicians really know what they talk about.
A lot of musicians that make electronic music use "the Real Thing", like the real analogue synthesizers (Moog, Roland Juno, Fender Rhodes ...) and they think about using digital and virtual instruments as a cheap and unprofessional solution.
about
Yeah, the guy you quoted obviously doesn't know anything about anything.
well, you just discovered FL witch is not a professional solution and I discovered it in 2001 (My first love... I still make some stuff with it)
1- you called me a noob and I've finished Music Academy, worked 7 years in State Philharmonic and 2 years in National Opera, made music for 15 theatre plays, 3 movies and a musical that is now on National Theatre of Targu-Mures .
Also I'm as a side musician on 5 albums of different bands and my album will be out in September ;)
meanwhile I have on NG over 40 songs, some fav'ed by over 40 people and you have 4 "Unce Unce" techno songs
2-you called Reason "piece of shit made to put gay loops together" and that is one of the most powerful sequencers which comes with very powerful analog synthesizer emulators, some very versatile samplers and drum machines.
Actually is so good that bands like The Prodigy or Clawfinger use it
3-Also you are very much against using samples but at the same time in your song Jossos Medicore you use all over it the "Orchestra Hit" which is a sample of a Orchestra playing same note on all instruments ;)
so, if you think like "ur gay idc if you depend on others to make your music", I wonder how many of those instruments did you play, or you depend on others to make your music ?

hope that is English enough for you

ok firstly i dont usually take advice from people unless they make good techno and hardstyle music like the alpha twins and dark oscillators, so idc wat ur up to. and by sticking loops together i mean a certain drum beat that you cant make louder n shit coz its just a wav, and loops that are actually tunes that you didnt make. not sure how professionals do it, but ive heard enough nooby loops stuck together to hate them a lot. with my stuff, all im doing is using the instruments and creating tunes and beats from scratch. im new, but im starting to go indepth and adjust these sounds too. i thought about learning an instrument once, but then realised computers can make all the stuff ull ever need so who needs to learn how to play instruments in this new and lazy age. idc what music ur making, opera or wtva but its boring to listen to (unless ur making hardstyle and techno?)

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-09-10 20:24:24

Thanks that sounds good, but I hope the judges don't just listen to the first few seconds and discard my track because of it..

I know how the hip hop portal isn't the most popular audio section, that's why I think my submission could be biased.. does anyone here know how many people are judging the audio portal, and are there different judges for different genres?

At 9/10/08 05:20 PM, jrhager84 wrote:
At 9/10/08 04:11 PM, CoLD-StatiStics wrote: I have submitted a track to the audio portal and I'm waiting for a screening or something.

Thanks
Clips (if I'm not mistaken) are acceptable as long as they're not something in entirety. If you had a TV ad, you could technically flash something (anything) in the background for a second and get away with it. It has to do with something being the main substance of your work. A "clip" isn't going to be illegal. Hell, my Beverly Hills Cop Mix has Axel Foley lines from the movie in it. It's all creative-commons.... ;)

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-09-11 04:28:01

@Josh (jossospro)
well, I think you can get god advices also from people that make other music styles than techno or hardstyle, professionalism can be found in all styles.
actually I find these styles not very much on my taste, too repetitive and "cold" for me, but even those can have voice lines ... and that push us back to recording/sampling problem
what will you do when you'll find a girl with a good voice and after recording her on YOUR OWN ORIGINAL WORK, you'll find that you can't post it here because of the "You Didn't Make It" rule ?

anyway, there are many styles, I stick usually to Jazz, Rock, Funk, Ambient, D'n'B and orchestral stuff (here named Classical)

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-09-11 04:41:18

At 9/10/08 08:24 PM, jossospro wrote: i thought about learning an instrument once, but then realised computers can make all the stuff ull ever need so who needs to learn how to play instruments in this new and lazy age. idc what music ur making, opera or wtva but its boring to listen to (unless ur making hardstyle and techno?)

I LOL'd at that comment, and the fact that you limit where you get your advice from is pathetic. I've had 10-year-olds point out things that I grew because of. By denying any advice, you're only doing yourself a great disservice. Why am I even bothering with this?

-Joel

- email jrhager84@gmail if interested in voice acting/ music/ production/ mixing etc. -

BBS Signature

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-09-11 05:13:59

*Groan*

...Cannot believe this is still goin' on! Can't we all just be fwiends? I mean, we ALL LOVE MUSIC!!! Isint that enough to stop a couple of arguments?!?!!?

Please?

:3

My Music | Me | F-777 | Kr1z | Audio Portal | For teh lulz ^^

BBS Signature

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-09-11 05:31:13

At 9/11/08 05:13 AM, Nintechno wrote: *Groan*

...Cannot believe this is still goin' on! Can't we all just be fwiends? I mean, we ALL LOVE MUSIC!!! Isint that enough to stop a couple of arguments?!?!!?

You are right, we should be more friendlier, but if you watch all jossospro's posts, you'll see that he is insulting constantly all the people around
and, NO, we don't ALL LOVE MUSIC, jossospro love "hardstyle" which you can hardly call a style

got it ? funny, isn't it ? ha ha ... wait, why are you not laughing... HEEEeeeeeey ...

anyway, actually we are quite nice guys here, mostly discussing about sampling issues now ...
what do you think of "You Didn't Make It" rule ? is that instantly make all collabs illegal ?

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-09-11 05:33:51

Care Bear.

It's a fail you can win!

BBS Signature

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-09-11 15:31:02

I feel compelled to say that anybody griping about it "still going on" is contradicting themselves, because as soon as you post in here, you help propagate it. Just pointing that out.

BBS Signature

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-09-11 15:44:37

Don't try to make it into some silly 'battle of wits'. The FACT is that this whole thing is turning into poo-custard and it CAN be stopped. If I'm the only one mature enough to see this, then I guess that's life. But please stop dude, seriously. It's making NG look bad lol

Better to have love and lost, then to have never loved at all ^-^

BBS Signature

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-09-11 20:41:52

newgrounds aint for assholes, its for people who like stuff? =)

BBS Signature

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-09-11 22:29:04

At 9/11/08 03:44 PM, Nintechno wrote: Don't try to make it into some silly 'battle of wits'. The FACT is that this whole thing is turning into poo-custard and it CAN be stopped. If I'm the only one mature enough to see this, then I guess that's life. But please stop dude, seriously. It's making NG look bad lol

Better to have love and lost, then to have never loved at all ^-^

A silly battle of wits? That's what you think of this? As far as I'm concerned, there are a lot of valid questions that need to be answered and much argument to compliment them. If there wasn't this dicussion going on, people could go and break the rules without knowing. I don't see how such a discussion could be called 'silly'.

If you think you're mature just because there's an argument on the internet and you think internet arguments are pointless, then you're wrong. As I said above, it's completely reasonable to be doing this. The rules need to be settled. The only problem with this thread is those who are whining about it. If you don't like it, leave it alone and let those who care about it and are involved in it go on without your disruptions.

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-09-11 22:55:00

At 9/11/08 03:44 PM, Nintechno wrote: Don't try to make it into some silly 'battle of wits'. The FACT is that this whole thing is turning into poo-custard and it CAN be stopped. If I'm the only one mature enough to see this, then I guess that's life. But please stop dude, seriously. It's making NG look bad lol

Ah, I love it when people take the "high horse" approach.

Discussing and settling differences in any civil manner to me is just grounds on which to grow. Sure there are people who aren't being civil or intelligent at all, but I'm just passing that off in light of the valid points and questions that are being brought up in here. Also, if you ducked out of every single debate you got in, where would you be right now? Again, I must say, you're just as guilty now by contributing further, because apparently your need to get the last bitter, condescending word in trumps your principle about "not propagating a 'poo-custard' thread". Real mature, you win(?),

-Joel
a.k.a. "the person who makes NG look bad" LMFAO

BBS Signature

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-09-12 00:36:27

Okay guys! Whatever! Keep fighting, arguing, disagreeing, insulting, bitching etc. I don't mind! Sorry to have wasted your precious time ^-^

BBS Signature

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-09-12 18:42:08

At 9/12/08 12:36 AM, Nintechno wrote: Okay guys! Whatever! Keep fighting, arguing, disagreeing, insulting, bitching etc. I don't mind! Sorry to have wasted your precious time ^-^

Don't worry, mission accomplished. You've destroyed the thread. Here's a cookie...

-Joel

BBS Signature

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-10-02 16:33:56

Okay, so just to dig up some skeletons and re-hash the previous "you can't prove you hold the copyright to use samples / acapellas" conversation... what I find flawed about this statement is the band page for Turmion Katilot.

So what you're saying is you've either traced their IP's to shit and found that the computer uploading this band's copyrighted songs is actually in Finland or Germany, or you just don't care enough to give a second look to the fact that somebody - potentially just a fan having nothing to do with the band - is uploading copyrighted material.

So what you're saying is, I could make an account, type in broken English, post some tour dates on my User Blog, and bam, I'm instantly the copyright holder for a band's songs? Yet... I'm prevented from using samples that are held in a Creative Commons law from a well-known band, because I didn't make them. That's awesome.

And what's more is... you'd figure if any audio mod here was worthy of the title, this issue might - just MIGHT - have been addressed a little sooner. I mean shit, if I was an audio mod spitting out rules about how you can't use a sample that's licensed under Creative Commons, and just happened to stumble across a "band's" page filled with copyrighted material, you god damn better believe I'd be asking for some contracts faxed to the Newgrounds offices with signatures with every single copyright holder, a contract from the record company saying it's okay to release so-and-so-band's music on a site that only holds a creative commons license (which we normally charge $1 per download, but hell, put 50% of the album on a flash site for free download), and then I MIGHT not blam the shit out of their account.

So in all your flawed logic, Mr. Incorporated, you're saying any user that uploads their audio to Newgrounds is instantly putting it up under a creative commons license, and it's perfectly fine to use THEIR samples or remix THEIR song, so long as I give credit tto the original author? So if I remix and sample the shit out of Verta ja Lihaa, which is a completely copyrighted song, contracted under a major record company in Europe, it's fine and I won't get banned or deleted, because they uploaded it to NG and that automatically nullifies any pre-existing contractual agreements they have with their record company about distribution? For all you know, their record company may have just found out about them distributing their audio for free on Newgrounds account, and are preparing the paperwork to sue the shit out of NG, as you said previously. Fuck, for all you know, it's some 14 year old fanboy.

domestic violence can be funny too!

BBS Signature

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-10-02 16:43:31

At 10/2/08 04:33 PM, l0vemetal wrote: Okay, so just to dig up some skeletons and re-hash the previous "you can't prove you hold the copyright to use samples / acapellas" conversation... what I find flawed about this statement is the band page for Turmion Katilot.

When we get profiles like that, we do a few searches and contact the band from a different website, say, Myspace or their official email address and ask them if they uploaded their songs to NG. It's happened plenty of times, from Pilchard to Soulja Boi.

If they say that they did upload it, then we allow the profile. If they say they didn't, we ban the profile.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-10-02 16:50:12

At 10/2/08 04:43 PM, Rig wrote: When we get profiles like that, we do a few searches and contact the band from a different website, say, Myspace or their official email address and ask them if they uploaded their songs to NG. It's happened plenty of times, from Pilchard to Soulja Boi.

If they say that they did upload it, then we allow the profile. If they say they didn't, we ban the profile.

Okay, so then back to my other statement.

When I use their samples in a song, create a new account, and use it for my first audio upload, said new account won't get deleted because it's up on NG, correct? Nevermind that it's under x amount of contracts and, if you get down to it, not even really up to band that created it, I won't get blammed, for the simple fact that it's an account that's registered on Newgrounds, and henceforth automatically overrules any major record company's contract, including said contracts views on remixes, sampling, etc.

I guess my point here is, say a band doesn't know their contract prohibits putting music up for free under a creative commons license, especially to be ravaged and raped by 14 year old kids' "remixes," but they ignorantly do it anyway. Record company gets wind of this, sues not only the band, but the site these shinannigans happened on. What then? Does NG look the other way because, well, the copyrighted material was put up by the band on a free site and that was good enough for them, or do they kick themselves in the ass because they fucked up?

domestic violence can be funny too!

BBS Signature

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-10-02 19:10:11

At 10/2/08 04:50 PM, l0vemetal wrote: Does NG look the other way because, well, the copyrighted material was put up by the band on a free site and that was good enough for them, or do they kick themselves in the ass because they fucked up?

Funny you should mention that - Soulja Boi is actually banned from the AP because he uploaded some of his stuff without realizing that they were already copyrighted under his label. It's pretty obvious when something is professionally produced and mastered, and when we find stuff like that, we contact the bands with the methods previously mentioned in my last post.

If NG were to get sued for allowing copyrighted music on their site, I'm not sure what they'd do.

The fact is, there's still tons of profiles on here that upload copyrighted stuff and we mods can't do anything about it. The only power we have is to ban or allow new uploaders. We can't delete songs, nor can we ban people we already approved. The only thing we can do is send the admins a message.

They're supposedly working on new mod tools so that we can finally delete songs and ban people...but they've been saying that for a while. I can't WAIT till we get them.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-10-02 20:40:04

At 10/2/08 08:12 PM, Chronamut wrote:
I still fear that day - I for some reason imagine a place where some disgrundled audio mod will delete every single one of a user's songs, just because htey dont like them, or because they used some movie clip in the beginning of the song - the genocide i think would force half the users to leave this site - please don't be like that.

and lol @ soulja boy - serves him right :P

Come on, Chron.
The mods weren't picked because of their terrible judgement, or childish actions. This is the internet. Most know not to have a "grudge" at all...let alone destroy someones work, just because they don't like them.
Your scenario is highly unlikely.
Although, it does make me think of people that snap and go to work or school and just shoot the shit out of everyone.

BBS Signature

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-10-03 08:05:46

have i mentioned i'm an asshole yet? ^_~....Because if not.. I AM.

Wyldfyre1

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-10-03 15:05:09

At 10/2/08 08:40 PM, Bad-Man-Incorporated wrote: Although, it does make me think of people that snap and go to work or school and just shoot the shit out of everyone.

Kind of reminds me of this one former mod....

BBS Signature

Response to newgrounds is for assholes 2008-10-03 23:30:52

At 9/2/08 01:02 PM, illaMay wrote: uuuuuuuuuuuuuuh. gay. sadspoon says ur gay.
it isnt fishy i made the song and if u dont believe me ur gay

aserguyqwr

The reply of a nine year old?
Also, what's wrong with gay? People do have their own choices.

It's your money, you payed for it >=0