Be a Supporter!

newgrounds is for assholes

  • 4,077 Views
  • 187 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
SREvol
SREvol
  • Member since: Oct. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 7th, 2008 @ 01:41 PM Reply

the dude gave up, he clearly submitted an illegal song. this has turned into a sampling debate now.

I VOTE FOR SAMPLING IS ALLOWED!

i often sit outside or in front of the telle and record on my super nifty recording box and mic anything i think is interesting.

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE


CKEY - DNB with a dab of JUNGLE

BBS Signature
SREvol
SREvol
  • Member since: Oct. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 7th, 2008 @ 01:43 PM Reply

oh btw, what he did was not sampling, it's cheating.

sampling as in use a 5 second sound bite from a killer horror movie of some bitch screaming as the looming dark figure knifes the whore to splice up your break.

or maybe you heard an awesome sneeze sound on the telle advertising tissues and you want to make a song about sicknesses with an IDM pattern to link it all together, that'd be dope. but where am i going to get 600 different couhing and sneezing sounds? :(


CKEY - DNB with a dab of JUNGLE

BBS Signature
jrhager84
jrhager84
  • Member since: Jul. 18, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 7th, 2008 @ 02:16 PM Reply

At 9/7/08 01:43 PM, SREvol wrote: oh btw, what he did was not sampling, it's cheating.

sampling as in use a 5 second sound bite from a killer horror movie of some bitch screaming as the looming dark figure knifes the whore to splice up your break.

or maybe you heard an awesome sneeze sound on the telle advertising tissues and you want to make a song about sicknesses with an IDM pattern to link it all together, that'd be dope. but where am i going to get 600 different couhing and sneezing sounds? :(

Using an a capella that has been release under creative commons, or a purchased copyright license is NOT cheating/illegal. I've used (not in my NG account) a capella files from ccmixter, which are all creative commons a capellas.... Nothing wrong with it because it's almost like a collab.


- email jrhager84@gmail if interested in voice acting/ music/ production/ mixing etc. -

BBS Signature
TMM43
TMM43
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 7th, 2008 @ 02:41 PM Reply

At 9/2/08 03:12 PM, Rig wrote: All noobs think their music rules.

MY MUSIC IS AWESOME!


All noobs are brutally taught the facts of life.

I was beaten by Rig.

Children these days. The AP is full of 'em


..............The Guide to Newgrounds Audio
Latest Track: Infinity
Need Help? Real Life|Audio

BBS Signature
DSMagnum
DSMagnum
  • Member since: Jul. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Musician
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 7th, 2008 @ 08:49 PM Reply

At 9/6/08 12:45 AM, Bad-Man-Incorporated wrote: DIDN'T MAKE THE SAMPLES.

Almost every song in the AP uses samples they didn't make.

Don't know what the "Amen Break" is. .

It's a professional drum n' bass sample. A lot of people use it. If you're looking for a good example, look at nubbinownz.

Remixes use samples from the original song. Do they not? or is our understanding different from one another. Also, using someone elses "midi" to make your remix is a no no. That might be what the debate is over, as well...on remixes. Including video game remixes.

When you sample, you can alter the sample to sound completely different from the original. Just like when you cover a song, you can change parts in it to make it sound only slightly different from the original.

But actually, we hear the same songs submitted by different people ALL THE TIME because they have Garage band and sequence the loops similarly. We want an audio portal filled with the same shit. No, we do not. Covers are more original in interpretation to instruments, than sequencing the EXACT same samples.

As I said above, you don't have you use the samples in their original form. You can add all sorts of effects, cut it up, reverse it, and more to change the sample from sounding the same everytime someone uses it.

And yet its allowed. Because you played it. Without using someone elses samples. Your interpretation. Hence not anyone else's. Like I said, it was decided that a "Cover" where everything was played by you, is allowed. And in time, I'm sure they will have something for samples that are royalty free.

How are you sure it was played by me though? How do you know I didn't record someone else playing it at a public concert? You wouldn't know. The best you could do is naturally assume I have crappy recording equipment, which is fairly common at Newgrounds. Covers can cause just as much of a problem as samples, only at least I have permission to use the sample.

Honestly I think the rules are fucked. If the samples are free for me to use, I should be able to use them. There's no chance of me getting into any sort of legal trouble. The rules should just prohibit illegal use of samples. That would cover claiming samples you didn't make as your own and using copyrighted samples that aren't released to the public.

I follow what you say simply because I have to. That doesn't mean I agree though. Originality can exist in sampling. If I remix a song, then that's original. If I remix a song and use samples, it's still original. It doesn't take that much away.

S3C
S3C
  • Member since: Mar. 25, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Musician
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 8th, 2008 @ 02:23 AM Reply

At 9/7/08 08:49 PM, DSMagnum wrote:
At 9/6/08 12:45 AM, Bad-Man-Incorporated wrote: lots of stuffffff

I think many have given a good general idea as to what is allowed and what isnt, but there is and probably will never be a fine line. You can continue this cylical argument and pick apart in detail what Bad-Man says, but just remember, insanity isn't a good thing.


If your work isn't worth fighting for, it's not worth uploading on NG, period. (JrHager84)

wyldfyre1
wyldfyre1
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 8th, 2008 @ 03:50 AM Reply

on a side note... i'm an asshole!

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Member since: Jul. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 8th, 2008 @ 04:35 AM Reply

in a way, all we are ... or at least we have one ...

anyway, have anybody read my previous post ?

jossospro
jossospro
  • Member since: Apr. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 8th, 2008 @ 05:05 AM Reply

At 9/2/08 10:48 PM, illaMay wrote:
thank you for finally takin a serious tone.
i read through everything u sent and i didnt break on rule on it. i made a 100% original piece of music and posted it with an acapella over it so people can hear it to its fullest extent.

haha this made me laugh. Thats basically saying "I made the whole song its a 100% mine. All i did was use someone elses music, idea, tune, beat and vocals. other than that its all mine!" But srsly your a douchebag i wish i could listen to the song so i can flam u too, but just saying this based on what u said... Retard. and newgrounds isnt full of assholes. most people are nice. their the ones who say nothing at all. just like 5 or six assholes who stand out because what they say hurts your feelings. and rap music is shit so it deserved ban for that anyways.

cheers.

Nintechno
Nintechno
  • Member since: Oct. 8, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 8th, 2008 @ 05:22 AM Reply

At 9/8/08 05:05 AM, jossospro wrote: stuff

Uh oh, here comes the anger...

*Braces for impact*


My Music | Me | F-777 | Kr1z | Audio Portal | For teh lulz ^^

BBS Signature
jossospro
jossospro
  • Member since: Apr. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 8th, 2008 @ 05:24 AM Reply

At 9/8/08 05:22 AM, Nintechno wrote:
At 9/8/08 05:05 AM, jossospro wrote: stuff
Uh oh, here comes the anger...

stuff

:D

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Member since: Jul. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 8th, 2008 @ 07:15 AM Reply

At 9/8/08 05:05 AM, jossospro wrote: haha this made me laugh. Thats basically saying "I made the whole song its a 100% mine. All i did was use someone elses music, idea, tune, beat and vocals. other than that its all mine!" But srsly your a douchebag i wish i could listen to the song so i can flam u too, but just saying this based on what u said...
cheers.

I don't know if you get the big picture of the rule "You didn't made it", as much as i hate "duplo" music made exclusively out of premade loops (E-jay and Garbage Band), taking out all the samples, loops and "not yours" stuff would take out 80% of original music, so, i repeat myself and say again:
now, what I disagree with NG rules is about samples and "YOU DIDN'T MADE IT":
1-you can make original work using, let's say, drum samples
programmed drums will NEVER sound like a real drum and we don't have all drummers in our basements ...
taking out drum loops will take out more than 80% of rock/metal from here

2-also, in Reason you have several violin sounds sampled (I'm not talking here about the violin sound, I'm talking about phrases, minor and major scales ... the tone is named "VNS Runs")
there are more (some clarinet and brass too) ... that makes stuff made with Reason illegal to NG ?

3-also collabs, having "here is my band, i play trumpet there" ... who made the bass? well the bass player. AHA !!! you didn't made it... so, it's not your work
shit, that would make my "guitar challenge" illegal, also Rig's works with female singers ... is not HIS voice, is it (doesn't matter that is original work, matters that was someone else singing it... or ...)
also my recordings with Silvia ... :(

jossospro
jossospro
  • Member since: Apr. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 8th, 2008 @ 07:28 AM Reply

At 9/8/08 07:15 AM, sorohanro wrote:
A bunch of dum bullshit

ur gay idc if you depend on others to make your music. get a few $ together and buy a decent program, not some piece of shit made to put gay loops together. those things suck period, and sound noobish to the /\/\AAAXXX

TheDeadMan69
TheDeadMan69
  • Member since: Jun. 25, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 8th, 2008 @ 07:59 AM Reply

stop being such an emo kid. jeez


Help Me
Bloggity
The Abscence of Essence is the Essence of Absence.

BBS Signature
Xenocidebot
Xenocidebot
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 8th, 2008 @ 09:54 AM Reply

At 9/6/08 11:34 AM, Bad-Man-Incorporated wrote:
At 9/6/08 10:40 AM, Xenocidebot wrote:
At 9/6/08 07:56 AM, sorohanro wrote: if you buy it, with the rights and specifically for mixing, still, here is not really allowed (weirdly I say)
Boom, there goes every drum machine known to man...
Hope you all record your own percussion!\
That is sequencing your own melody note for note. Which is a direct interpretation of what is in your warped minds. By samples, (and here: for the over analyzers), it means looped or semi looped melodies, where your only hand is pasting them together, in an uncreative way.

Otherwise anything made from Fruityloops, reason, etc...would not be allowed. Keep nitpicking, though. Why don't we all just throw up our interpretations of the bible, while we are at it. Anything can be picked apart. You just need to not over analyze shit. Take it for what it is, or what the people in charge of the site TELL you what it is, and be happy newgrounds allows YOU to upload your music. (semi protecting it from others).

No rules/laws anywhere are fucking perfect. Laws/rules are created by man. Man is flawed. Period. As a mod, we only do the best we can with what is provided.

I'd be happy to take it as what the site's owners told me it was while I was here- yet that's the first time I've ever heard "sample" take that meaning. Fair enough, now I'm satisfied, answered my question. Could've outright said that though, not gone into a diatribe.

Although I must lol at "semi protection". Yes, you gentlemen do a fine job of upholding copyright law and removing violations in a timely manner...


BBS Signature
CaddyCo
CaddyCo
  • Member since: May. 2, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 8th, 2008 @ 10:13 AM Reply

Here's the deal.. People on newgrounds, yeah, they CAN be assholes. But, here's the thing, also. You seem like the kind of person that can't take criticism. If they think it's fake, they think it's fake, but that doesn't give you any motive, except for that you can't take peoples opinions, to be a complete jerk and call people gay or assholes. Seriously, I'm asking you nicely, just let it go? If you DIDN'T steal it, then why are you making such a god damn fuss about it? Take a chill pill, be confident, and move on. If it gets blammed, move on. If you get ridiculed, move on. If you get resented because you're whining, move on. Life is too short to worry about who the fuck said what, why the fuck they said it, and how the fuck they said it. I can't make it any more clear. GET OVER IT.

THANK YOU :D

TMM43
TMM43
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 8th, 2008 @ 10:56 AM Reply

At 9/8/08 10:13 AM, CaddyCo wrote:
THANK YOU :D

CaddyCo pretty much just shutdown this thread. Thank you for that.
This conversation, is over.


..............The Guide to Newgrounds Audio
Latest Track: Infinity
Need Help? Real Life|Audio

BBS Signature
Nintechno
Nintechno
  • Member since: Oct. 8, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 8th, 2008 @ 03:37 PM Reply

At 9/8/08 10:56 AM, TMM43 wrote:
At 9/8/08 10:13 AM, CaddyCo wrote:
THANK YOU :D
CaddyCo pretty much just shutdown this thread. Thank you for that.
This conversation, is over.

Indeed, well put Caddy ^-^


My Music | Me | F-777 | Kr1z | Audio Portal | For teh lulz ^^

BBS Signature
jrhager84
jrhager84
  • Member since: Jul. 18, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 8th, 2008 @ 04:12 PM Reply

^ Not really. I guess you guys operate under the principles of pacifism... If someone calls your ORIGINAL (in your mind) work out as fake, you are morally and ethically obligated to stick up for it. We've already gone over what his thoughts were, so don't drudge it up again for argument's sake.

Winston Churchill:

"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stuck up for something at some point in your life."

If your work isn't worth fighting for, it's not worth uploading on NG, period.

-Joel


- email jrhager84@gmail if interested in voice acting/ music/ production/ mixing etc. -

BBS Signature
S3C
S3C
  • Member since: Mar. 25, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Musician
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 8th, 2008 @ 05:02 PM Reply

At 9/8/08 04:12 PM, jrhager84 wrote:

If your work isn't worth fighting for, it's not worth uploading on NG, period.

-Joel

Thank you sir. I have a new signature.


If your work isn't worth fighting for, it's not worth uploading on NG, period. (JrHager84)

jrhager84
jrhager84
  • Member since: Jul. 18, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 8th, 2008 @ 05:32 PM Reply

At 9/8/08 05:02 PM, S3C wrote:
At 9/8/08 04:12 PM, jrhager84 wrote:

If your work isn't worth fighting for, it's not worth uploading on NG, period.

-Joel
Thank you sir. I have a new signature.

I try. Thanks. I just think it's the ultimate disservice to your work if you just let it get tossed around. I'm not talking about being unreasonable, but "letting" your work go is unacceptable in my eyes. I guess I just have a weird way of viewing things....LOL

-Joel


- email jrhager84@gmail if interested in voice acting/ music/ production/ mixing etc. -

BBS Signature
loogiesquared
loogiesquared
  • Member since: Apr. 15, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 8th, 2008 @ 06:27 PM Reply

At 9/2/08 12:30 PM, illaMay wrote: NG IS FOR ASSHOLES.

NOT RLY!

newgrounds is for assholes

CaddyCo
CaddyCo
  • Member since: May. 2, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 8th, 2008 @ 06:45 PM Reply

At 9/8/08 05:32 PM, jrhager84 wrote:
At 9/8/08 05:02 PM, S3C wrote:
At 9/8/08 04:12 PM, jrhager84 wrote:

If your work isn't worth fighting for, it's not worth uploading on NG, period.

-Joel
Thank you sir. I have a new signature.
I try. Thanks. I just think it's the ultimate disservice to your work if you just let it get tossed around. I'm not talking about being unreasonable, but "letting" your work go is unacceptable in my eyes. I guess I just have a weird way of viewing things....LOL

-Joel

Right, but the fact is, there are OTHER ways to stick up for yourself without being an asshole in return. Nice quote, it's true, but this kid seriously needs to quit fighting with everyone because they don't agree. He can fight without throwing punches. Jesus christ. >:[

jrhager84
jrhager84
  • Member since: Jul. 18, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 8th, 2008 @ 06:53 PM Reply

At 9/8/08 06:45 PM, CaddyCo wrote:
At 9/8/08 05:32 PM, jrhager84 wrote: I try. Thanks. I just think it's the ultimate disservice to your work if you just let it get tossed around. I'm not talking about being unreasonable, but "letting" your work go is unacceptable in my eyes. I guess I just have a weird way of viewing things....LOL

-Joel
Right, but the fact is, there are OTHER ways to stick up for yourself without being an asshole in return. Nice quote, it's true, but this kid seriously needs to quit fighting with everyone because they don't agree. He can fight without throwing punches. Jesus christ. >:[

I agree wholeheartedly, there just seemed to be an onslaught of people who are very passive and dismissive about their music. Granted, he should have went about this a different way, but I'd be just as pissed off if I didn't get any explanation, or a flimsy-at-best one. Either way, it will be a learning experience for us all, and an opportunity to think of ways to avoid things like this in the future.

-Joel


- email jrhager84@gmail if interested in voice acting/ music/ production/ mixing etc. -

BBS Signature
sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Member since: Jul. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 8th, 2008 @ 07:23 PM Reply

At 9/8/08 07:28 AM, jossospro wrote:
At 9/8/08 07:15 AM, sorohanro wrote:
A bunch of dum bullshit
ur gay idc if you depend on others to make your music. get a few $ together and buy a decent program, not some piece of shit made to put gay loops together. those things suck period, and sound noobish to the /\/\AAAXXX

Well, keeping in mind that I've finished Music Academy, worked 7 years in State Philharmonic and 2 years in National Opera, made music for 15 theatre plays, 3 movies and a musical that is now on National Theatre of Targu-Mures ... I guess I'm quite a noob

also I'm as a side musician on 5 albums of different bands and my album will be out in September ;)

As about Reason being a "piece of shit made to put gay loops together" ... you should ask around

ur gay idc if you depend on others to make your music.

well, I guess that ALL people that play in a band are gay if they don't play all the instruments at the same time
btw, i play: trumpet, keyboards, guitar and bass, so, what instruments do you play ? may I ask before I apologize for not playing drums ...

jrhager84
jrhager84
  • Member since: Jul. 18, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 8th, 2008 @ 11:30 PM Reply

At 9/8/08 07:23 PM, sorohanro wrote:
At 9/8/08 07:28 AM, jossospro wrote:
At 9/8/08 07:15 AM, sorohanro wrote:
A bunch of dum bullshit
ur gay idc if you depend on others to make your music. get a few $ together and buy a decent program, not some piece of shit made to put gay loops together. those things suck period, and sound noobish to the /\/\AAAXXX
Well, keeping in mind that I've finished Music Academy, worked 7 years in State Philharmonic and 2 years in National Opera, made music for 15 theatre plays, 3 movies and a musical that is now on National Theatre of Targu-Mures ... I guess I'm quite a noob
also I'm as a side musician on 5 albums of different bands and my album will be out in September ;)
As about Reason being a "piece of shit made to put gay loops together" ... you should ask around

ur gay idc if you depend on others to make your music.
well, I guess that ALL people that play in a band are gay if they don't play all the instruments at the same time
btw, i play: trumpet, keyboards, guitar and bass, so, what instruments do you play ? may I ask before I apologize for not playing drums ...

Yeah, the guy you quoted obviously doesn't know anything about anything.

Jossospro:
Just because you record analog sound all the type doesn't mean you're a total badass that should be respected. Calling reason a POS for putting loops together isn't even close to what it's capable of. Why not go full monty dude? If you need an instrument to make music, you're a pussy who doesn't know anything. I make all my sounds with my own body.... (want to see a sample of my music?)

Grow up dude,

-Joel
P.S. I operate a home-studio and use both analog AND digital sounds for mixing. Blasphemy? I think not.


- email jrhager84@gmail if interested in voice acting/ music/ production/ mixing etc. -

BBS Signature
Zooloo75
Zooloo75
  • Member since: May. 31, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 8th, 2008 @ 11:54 PM Reply

At 9/2/08 10:43 PM, illaMay wrote: i can live with it getting 0'd, but deleting my songs because i did a remix is fucking ridiculous. if newgrounds takes off my song remixing a nas song then they should most definitely take off all the fucking tetris remakes.

Without reading anything past page 2...I think they should take off all the remixes that are bland midi rips.
The remixes that have a changed/improved melody is an original remix.
But don't act like a douche just because you got your song deleted.
I don't really want to bash you for using an accapella (Since thats Rucklo's job :P) but if your going to put lyrics into your songs, then please be original and put your own vocals into it instead of someone elses.

I hope you learned from the above wall-o-text, and enjoy your stay in Newgrounds ;)

Zooloo75
Zooloo75
  • Member since: May. 31, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
darkride196
darkride196
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 9th, 2008 @ 12:13 AM Reply

There's really not much else to discuss.

S3C
S3C
  • Member since: Mar. 25, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Musician
Response to newgrounds is for assholes Sep. 9th, 2008 @ 02:49 AM Reply

At 9/8/08 07:23 PM, sorohanro wrote: btw, i play: trumpet, keyboards, guitar and bass, so, what instruments do you play ? may I ask before I apologize for not playing drums ...

You quit playing tuba man??? I'm quite disapointed ;_;


If your work isn't worth fighting for, it's not worth uploading on NG, period. (JrHager84)