00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My Flash Rts Engine

8,826 Views | 34 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-29 11:10:16

Hello guys.

My name's Murudai, I'm a professional Flash programmer. I've worked on some great projects in the past, and at the moment I have a variety of projects I'm working on, namely some neat games I'm doing for a software company.

I'm a very busy individual, and I don't have time to complete all my projects. My pride and joy is a full qualified Real Time Strategy written in Flash AS3. I've seen other games like this around, but there are some key elements I've noticed are lacking. But they are in my engine:

- Full collision detection between Units/Objects/Terrain
- Smooth animation
- Fog of War
- AI, with teams.
- HUGE maps, with up to 4 AI individually battling it out (or more if your computer can take it)
- Intelligent AI
- Multiple turrets on units, each with individual firing
- Capital ships, with masses of turrets and the ability to create units, like buildings.

But one of the key features is that I have created an ENGINE, not a GAME. This code engine is designed to be used with your own graphics, and is designed to be easily integrated. Between 1 and 100 units can be supported, ranging from simple tanks to flying fortresses. EVEN massive battleships, bristling with turrets, that strike out at multiple foes at once. ALL stats are stored via external XML files. In fact, to add units you just need to create graphics and make stats up in the XML. Same with buildings, and research upgrades (though research upgrades are a little more complicated).

Even AI is fully customizable through the XML files. From aggressive unit creating and attacking to passive and building creating, all can be created without making a single bit of Actionscript. Make as many AIs as you want.

Levels are also handled ENTIRELY from XML, and there is even an unbuilt level editor that allows you to create a level XML file, or even edit one.

In fact, apart from research upgrades NONE of adding units or AI or levels requires ANY actionscripting, that is the amount of usability I have added to my engine.

Enough talk though. See for yourself :)

Here is the latest version of the game, no instructions but you guys are smart, figure it out: http://www.murudai.com/dantal/index.html Only 1 level, and very basic. Less than 20% of the games full features can be seen.

Here is from my engine testing: http://murudai.bravehost.com/Flash/skirm ish.html This level has you with one AI ally and 2 AI enemies on a HUGE map. 7 units and 7 buildings supported (though the engine can handle hundreds).

Ignore the graphics, this is meant to be a test for the engines, not the graphics.

This is a pretty amazing project, but I am FAR too busy to complete it. What I need is a graphics artist to make me graphics, and a designer willing to use my engine to build a game. In fact, I may even make the entire thing open source.

I believe this could be a very popular game, especially since players can create their own levels. And if the game is made open source, even their own units, graphics and an ENTIRE game using my engine I've created.

I hope you enjoy what I have to offer!

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-29 11:21:11

WOAH, if you get that done, thats all time fame for sure O_O

BBS Signature

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-29 11:31:14

Impressive mate. It'd be even better if you could implement a right-click to move function (ie, like in Starcraft). That way you could even do the drag a box around units to select them kinda thing. Other than it's pretty good. Congrats!

BBS Signature

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-29 11:34:27

I have to say, that engine is extremely impressive. Great job. I hope you find a talented graphics artist willing to help you =)

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-29 11:43:05

At 8/29/08 11:21 AM, Korgha wrote: WOAH, if you get that done, thats all time fame for sure O_O

Thanks!

Here's the bottom line:

What I've created here is far too large for me to complete on my own, I just don't have enough hours in the day. I'm calling out for help with graphics, level design and testing. I believe this game has HUGE potential, and while it's rotting away on my hard drive that potential is not being fulfilled.

At the moment I'm just looking out for artists. Then once I have good graphics, I'll be looking for level designers. And finally, after that's done, testers. I'm essentially looking for an entire team, all of whom are driven by their passion for Flash, not money.

But... I will not promise anything... but if this thing really takes off there may even be a bit of money in it for those who contributed ;) In fact, depending on how talented, versatile and helpful they are, there may be a few thousand dollars in it for the artist(s). But we'll see, no promises.

- DashDingo. Unfortunately, Flash reserves right click for the context menu. If there is some hack to remove it, I'd love to know, but I haven't figured that out yet. As far as I know it is impossible.

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-29 11:51:50

At 8/29/08 11:43 AM, Murudai wrote: - DashDingo. Unfortunately, Flash reserves right click for the context menu. If there is some hack to remove it, I'd love to know, but I haven't figured that out yet. As far as I know it is impossible.

Link ;)

That's how to set up a custom right click menu, at least. That way you can at least have unit commands (ie "Move Here", "Attack Here", etc). Hope this helps :]

BBS Signature

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-29 11:56:00

At 8/29/08 11:51 AM, DashDingo wrote:
At 8/29/08 11:43 AM, Murudai wrote: - DashDingo. Unfortunately, Flash reserves right click for the context menu. If there is some hack to remove it, I'd love to know, but I haven't figured that out yet. As far as I know it is impossible.
Link ;)

That's how to set up a custom right click menu, at least. That way you can at least have unit commands (ie "Move Here", "Attack Here", etc). Hope this helps :]

'fraid not. I already knew how to make custom context menus :) I don't think it would solve the crux of the issue at all (being able to straight click and move) so I haven't bothered with that.

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-29 12:04:15

Oh! And I forgot to mention.

My ultimate goal is to make this fully multiplayer.

Imagine being able to play a game like starcraft against your friends, for free, online, on any system, with Flash.

Unfortunately, my experience with multiplayer is limited. But, since I'm calling out for help everywhere else, if someone things they can tackle making a game like this multiplayer, then I am VERY interested from hearing from you. And like the artist, I can make it worth your while, depending on how the game goes ;)

(Oh, not sure if it's against the rules not to double post or not, so sorry if it is).

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-29 12:07:00

At 8/29/08 11:51 AM, DashDingo wrote:
Link ;)

I think this is what you're looking for
http://www.uza.lt/blog/2007/08/solved-ri ght-click-in-as3

ey

BBS Signature

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-29 12:13:48

At 8/29/08 12:07 PM, Joelasticot wrote: I think this is what you're looking for
http://www.uza.lt/blog/2007/08/solved-ri ght-click-in-as3

Wow, that's very interesting.

Though I don't like how that requires the game to be tied in to the webpage. I'd prefer the game to be standalone if possible. For example, a downloadable version that can run at full screen, couldn't do that very well in a webpage.

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-29 12:51:18

Well, i could help with testing, cuz I'm not the best of designers or coders :D

BBS Signature

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-29 14:01:07

Your game has amazing potential!!
This game could be the first successful RTS made in Flash!
Others have tried, but I have never played one that is very good. But maybe your could be that one!

I would LOVE to help you. But I am already so busy. And I'm not sure if I have the skills needed to pull it off.
Maybe in a month or so, when I get some other things done, if you still need an animator, you could look me up.

Good luck!

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-29 14:48:31

I could help with animation/ unit design, since this seems like a very good idea. I'd love to participate in it.

People Flippy Owned: Sarge (2x), Finaltrust, Wolf, Acidsnowball, Renos Pigeons : )

Honorable Defeat: The Narfman

Silly Newgrounds, you think flippy can die?

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-29 15:54:36

Wow, the potential is very good. Good luck with this.

BBS Signature

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-29 15:59:24

Though I don't like how that requires the game to be tied in to the webpage. I'd prefer the game to be standalone if possible. For example, a downloadable version that can run at full screen, couldn't do that very well in a webpage.

You could port it to AIR pretty easily. Well, assuming it's Flash 9.

Flash Game Development Blog: { P I X E L W E L D E R S } | Coming soon: OS Wars: Winvasion!

BBS Signature

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-29 19:06:49

eh, reliance on outside XML files? Am I the only one that sees a problem with this?

At first there was nothing, then it exploded. - Big bang

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-29 19:11:28

At 8/29/08 07:06 PM, Arby wrote: eh, reliance on outside XML files? Am I the only one that sees a problem with this?

yes

BBS Signature

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-29 19:16:48

At 8/29/08 07:06 PM, Arby wrote: eh, reliance on outside XML files? Am I the only one that sees a problem with this?

If he's using Flex (probably) then it's easy to embed the xml files compile-time.

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-29 19:17:39

At 8/29/08 07:16 PM, hesselbom wrote:
If he's using Flex (probably) then it's easy to embed the xml files compile-time.

Ah, that would solve that, then =P

At first there was nothing, then it exploded. - Big bang

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-29 19:20:43

Thanks for all the positive replies!

And thanks to those who have already messaged me :) Though, still plenty of work available. Still looking for an artist able to handle this project. I'd like a single artist to do most of the work to keep the style consistent over the game. And like I've said. If you're a good artist, and able to undertake this huge project, I may be able to pay you. But I can't promise that, so don't offer if that's what you're after.

Also, a cutscene artist/animator would be brilliant as well. Someone able to make essentially a movie, but divide it up between levels. I've already got the code and everything set up to take cutscenes, I just need them :) So if anyone is able to do that, drop me a line ;)

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-29 19:22:48

I would love to do art, talk to me if you want me

perryfroelich@hotmail.com

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-29 19:23:35

Sorry for the double post, didn't see those other replies!

I'm using CS3, not Flex. But it is fairly easy to just copy and paste the XML straight in to a class or something. It's not as nice as going in to compile time, like I'm guessing Flex does, but it does the job.

Also, I'm probably going to give this game its own website, not send it around on all those Flash game sites. So having external files won't be a problem ;)

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-29 20:39:37

MSN for any type of chatting regarding this:

aarcy-sma@hotmail.com

People Flippy Owned: Sarge (2x), Finaltrust, Wolf, Acidsnowball, Renos Pigeons : )

Honorable Defeat: The Narfman

Silly Newgrounds, you think flippy can die?

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-29 20:58:53

Oh! I should probably mention one of the features in my game regarding graphics.

One of the things I've done is that all vector graphics for units and buildings and everything are converted into bitmap forms. This way, you don't get the processor overloading by having to draw heaps and heaps of vectors. The sacrifice is a lack of animation, but since the focus is on the gameplay and not so much the art, that is fine. (Plus, there are ways I can include animations anyway ;) ). And because the game converts these to bitmaps at runtime, the file size of the game can be kept really small, since vectors are easier to save than bitmaps.

Now because of this feature the graphics can be as complicated as anything. Even the most complicated and vector ridden images won't make any difference to the speed of the game. I'm fully looking to exploit this feature to the max, so I'm looking for some very top quality vector artwork.

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-30 00:25:15

i think you have the engine done or it sure looks like it what you should do now is hire some one to work on the graphics they aren't bad but it seems like some of them need work.....

ever wanted to know how to earn money or get free games and gaming consoles visit my site to learn more.www.learntoearnmoney.webs.com

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-30 00:29:07

At 8/30/08 12:25 AM, corruptedtodeath wrote: i think you have the engine done or it sure looks like it what you should do now is hire some one to work on the graphics they aren't bad but it seems like some of them need work.....

Heh, I'm not asking for any help with the programming. Programming is my specialty, that's absolutely nailed. Apart from a few changes here and there, I don't need any help with that, lol ;)

And yup, that's what I've been saying through this thread, it's the men of graphics I need to come to my aid and provide their services!

(btw, the graphics on the game I've showed is in NO way a final work. Obviously I need some graphics to properly test my code, so I whipped up some crappy art to do that.)

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-08-31 23:40:30

I could help with testing and design, unfortunately my Knowledge
of Actionscript is very limited. But id love to help,
its comming along quite nicely. Msg if you want my help,
or just give the word, and ill get to work.

BBS Signature

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-09-02 14:12:51

Wow thats an awesome engine!

This seems like a fantastic project and im really tempted to offer to do the art for it... Whats your projected timescale for the project? Like, when you imagine releasing the game and when would you want all the art finished for? Im pretty sure I could handle the project as long as its not going to be a really intense workload, as uni starts in a few weeks and i will have other commitments.

How much art work is needed all together. Im guessing a fair amount, how many backgrounds/scenary/buildings/units/effe cts would be needed all together, ish? :P If you have any kind of idea...

BBS Signature

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-09-02 15:09:03

Is it possible to zoom out a bit? Seems too close to me.
I feel the unit selection is a bit weird -- it seems to have a selected group stored, and each click adds a new one to the selection, then shift+click removes it. This got VERY obnoxious as I would switch between 2 battles, and forget I still had a group selected/forget I need to de-select before I can re-select (there's no 'clear selection', I guess), and end up ordering all units to one place, rather than manage two groups.

Also, if you intended to have this be run from it's own web page, then doing a custom right click through javascript doesn't seem that far fetches (toss and ad on the site, and now you have consistent income, if the game is amazing).

Other than that, very cool engine.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Response to My Flash Rts Engine 2008-09-21 08:32:59

A very nice game, with only a couple of glitches but a nice engine! keep it up and you'll be on the front page in no time!

BBS Signature