New Topic Respond to this Topic
Krank
Krank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Cubase Discussion Thread Aug. 23rd, 2008 @ 12:01 AM Reply

This thread is all about Cubase! Ask questions, and you will get answers. talk about how great cubase is, and it's work flow, and how much of a pain in the ass it is to learn *ahem*. FIND collab partners! Form dangerous rivalries!

First off, who here uses cubase. Let's all get acquainted! Got any questions, ask um!

NO SPAMMING OR TROLLING OR I WILL SICK RUCKLO ON YOUR SORRY ASS

jrhager84
jrhager84
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Aug. 23rd, 2008 @ 12:07 AM Reply

At 8/23/08 12:01 AM, Bjra wrote: This thread is all about Cubase! Ask questions, and you will get answers. talk about how great cubase is, and it's work flow, and how much of a pain in the ass it is to learn *ahem*. FIND collab partners! Form dangerous rivalries!

First off, who here uses cubase. Let's all get acquainted! Got any questions, ask um!

Cubase 4 here. I'm surprised he let this thread in here... Hope it stays. Although, 99.99999% of the people here use FL.....

- email jrhager84@gmail if interested in voice acting/ music/ production/ mixing etc. -

BBS Signature
Krank
Krank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Aug. 23rd, 2008 @ 12:10 AM Reply

At 8/23/08 12:07 AM, jrhager84 wrote: Cubase 4 here. I'm surprised he let this thread in here... Hope it stays. Although, 99.99999% of the people here use FL.....

hey, 2's company :D

is cubase 4 compatible with cubase sx 3? if I wanted to colab could I just swap song folders?

jrhager84
jrhager84
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Aug. 23rd, 2008 @ 12:14 AM Reply

At 8/23/08 12:10 AM, Bjra wrote:
At 8/23/08 12:07 AM, jrhager84 wrote: Cubase 4 here. I'm surprised he let this thread in here... Hope it stays. Although, 99.99999% of the people here use FL.....
hey, 2's company :D

is cubase 4 compatible with cubase sx 3? if I wanted to colab could I just swap song folders?

Unfortunately, no. Once you convert to Cubase 4 file structure, SX3 won't be able to read it.

- email jrhager84@gmail if interested in voice acting/ music/ production/ mixing etc. -

BBS Signature
Krank
Krank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Aug. 23rd, 2008 @ 12:19 AM Reply

At 8/23/08 12:14 AM, jrhager84 wrote: Unfortunately, no. Once you convert to Cubase 4 file structure, SX3 won't be able to read it.

darn you steinberg... darn you...

jrhager84
jrhager84
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Aug. 23rd, 2008 @ 12:31 AM Reply

Yeah, it's pretty sad and disappointing...

BBS Signature
Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Aug. 23rd, 2008 @ 02:44 AM Reply

At 8/23/08 12:07 AM, jrhager84 wrote:
At 8/23/08 12:01 AM, Bjra wrote: This thread is all about Cubase! Ask questions, and you will get answers. talk about how great cubase is, and it's work flow, and how much of a pain in the ass it is to learn *ahem*. FIND collab partners! Form dangerous rivalries!

I'm not a dog that you can sick in people, Fewbert. I'm a fucking monster that you can't control.

Cubase 4 here. I'm surprised he let this thread in here... Hope it stays. Although, 99.99999% of the people here use FL.....

What, let this thread in here? There is no decent Cubase-thread, mainly because there aren't that many Cubase-users... and the ones who do use Cubase don't need all too much help (they're 1337 and manage to learn new stuff y themselves- YEAH!).

I'm a proud Cubase 4 owner though, got the full version. Even managed to find a protection-cover for my dongel for when I'm moving my shit around (got a laptop).

I don't have the most exiting VST's, but there's a pretty cool sampler you cann download when you update to the latest version, HalionONE or something like that. It has decent samples with it. :)

I'll try to check this thread out whenever it's bumped up.

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

Krank
Krank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Aug. 23rd, 2008 @ 10:00 AM Reply

At 8/23/08 02:44 AM, Rucklo wrote: I'm a proud Cubase 4 owner though, got the full version. Even managed to find a protection-cover for my dongel for when I'm moving my shit around (got a laptop).

Haha cubase 4. I feel so out of the loop

does everyone have cubase 4 lol, am I left in the dust?

speedmetalmessiah
speedmetalmessiah
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Aug. 23rd, 2008 @ 12:21 PM Reply

At 8/23/08 10:00 AM, Bjra wrote:
does everyone have cubase 4 lol, am I left in the dust?

Nah man, I've got SX3. Cubase is amazing. It's got everything I could ever really want. Except more RAM for my computer of course, haha. I hate only having 256mb...

Dqws
Dqws
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Aug. 23rd, 2008 @ 12:23 PM Reply

What is Cubase?

BBS Signature
DJ-Ravecore
DJ-Ravecore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Aug. 23rd, 2008 @ 02:30 PM Reply

At 8/23/08 12:23 PM, Dqws wrote: What is Cubase?

Cubase is a music sequencer created by Steinberg, which is used to produce music.

Cubase sure is a great tool, however I stick to my Fruity Loops because of it's workflow. ;) I've heard that Cubase 4 doesn't support Direct-X plugins, am I right? Personally I think version 4 is for the crapper, people should stay with SX 1-3.

Krank
Krank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Aug. 23rd, 2008 @ 02:33 PM Reply

yeah cubase sx3 has been what I've always used. I hear if i upgrade to 4 some of my stuff won't work anymore!

Other than intermittent crashes once about every 40-50 hours on it, and volume knobs reseting when I restart the program I'm hella happy.

The workflow is far superior to fl studio by 50-60%(clicks, mouse movements, and mental work :), just gotta internalize how to use it. I used cubase for 2 years, before i used fl for 2 years. I'm not just talking out of my ass :)

Krank
Krank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Aug. 23rd, 2008 @ 02:35 PM Reply

At 8/23/08 02:33 PM, Bjra wrote: yeah cubase sx3 has been what I've always used. I hear if i upgrade to 4 some of my stuff won't work anymore!

Other than intermittent crashes once about every 40-50 hours on it, and volume knobs reseting when I restart the program I'm hella happy.

The workflow is far superior to fl studio by 50-60%(clicks, mouse movements, and mental work :), just gotta internalize how to use it. I used cubase for 2 years, before i used fl for 2 years. I'm not just talking out of my ass :)

cubase though does have scant routing and fx compared to fl. as well as scant built in vst and vsti instruments :(

fl you have like 90 mixer chanels lol. i miss that

DJ-Ravecore
DJ-Ravecore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Aug. 23rd, 2008 @ 02:47 PM Reply

At 8/23/08 02:35 PM, Bjra wrote: fl you have like 90 mixer chanels lol. i miss that

Fruity only has 64 + 4 send channels. I thought Cubase has unlimited channels, like, I gonna create a new one whenever I feel like it. I was wrong I guess...
Cubase 4 is a bug infested beast. Steinberg kinda rushed this version. Too bad, I've expected more like thier other good products. I got Halion³ few weeks ago and it's all worth the money (340EU).

Krank
Krank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Aug. 23rd, 2008 @ 02:58 PM Reply

At 8/23/08 02:47 PM, DJ-Ravecore wrote: Fruity only has 64 + 4 send channels. I thought Cubase has unlimited channels, like, I gonna create a new one whenever I feel like it. I was wrong I guess...

No you can, but the whole routing just isnt as intuitive as fl;s nice ixer. and you can move fx up and down in fl too :P

Cubase 4 is a bug infested beast. Steinberg kinda rushed this version. Too bad, I've expected more like thier other good products. I got Halion³ few weeks ago and it's all worth the money (340EU).

haha glad i didn't upgrade

Krank
Krank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Aug. 23rd, 2008 @ 07:46 PM Reply

in a midi track. is there any possible way to get the automation line to do the volume on the track for the vst's stereo out channel for the vst that the midi channel is going to?

zanaelf
zanaelf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Oct. 20th, 2013 @ 02:10 PM Reply

lately I have been using ignite, I find the program is more fun because it has more music composition, in playing music than after editing.. is cubase the same ? What is the best version of the software to get ?

Bspendlove
Bspendlove
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Oct. 20th, 2013 @ 03:30 PM Reply

At 10/20/13 02:10 PM, zanaelf wrote: lately I have been using ignite, I find the program is more fun because it has more music composition, in playing music than after editing.. is cubase the same ? What is the best version of the software to get ?

Looks like a ermmm 'big (not big but, more???' step from Ignite to Cubase, I have just looked at some of the features on Ignite and it looks really cool and very user friendly...

I would advise, if you go the Cubase route.... look up some tutorials and get to know what each button does and how to use it (Many on Youtube)....

I won't say a lot because I have never tried Ignite, but I find Cubase very friendly for myself compared to some other DAWS I have used...

I mainly find Cubase fantastic when working with Midi.... Very interesting with composing midi...

I use Cubase 5.... Used Cubase 6, would upgrade if I had the money...

CentralComposers - Cinematic, Hybrid and Soundtrack Sample libraries.

Sound Designer and Kontakt programmer.

zanaelf
zanaelf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Oct. 21st, 2013 @ 05:16 PM Reply

Thanks very much for the reply, yes Ignite is a great program that involves more playing and recording than post editing which is what I like, so cubase sounds like to be similar. I got fruitloops and I am totally fruitlooped , since its more of a sampler than getting down and playing. I caught on with ignite in a matter of hours of messing around, which led the penny to drop on made a pretty good rock song, for the first record. O.k well I know where to go and select what version I would like .... as the Earth is the playground and money is the disease.
^_^

Looks like a ermmm 'big (not big but, more???' step from Ignite to Cubase, I have just looked at some of the features on Ignite and it looks really cool and very user friendly...

I would advise, if you go the Cubase route.... look up some tutorials and get to know what each button does and how to use it (Many on Youtube)....

I won't say a lot because I have never tried Ignite, but I find Cubase very friendly for myself compared to some other DAWS I have used...

I mainly find Cubase fantastic when working with Midi.... Very interesting with composing midi...

I use Cubase 5.... Used Cubase 6, would upgrade if I had the money...
Bspendlove
Bspendlove
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Oct. 21st, 2013 @ 05:38 PM Reply

At 10/21/13 05:16 PM, zanaelf wrote: Thanks very much for the reply, yes Ignite is a great program that involves more playing and recording than post editing which is what I like, so cubase sounds like to be similar. I got fruitloops and I am totally fruitlooped , since its more of a sampler than getting down and playing. I caught on with ignite in a matter of hours of messing around, which led the penny to drop on made a pretty good rock song, for the first record. O.k well I know where to go and select what version I would like .... as the Earth is the playground and money is the disease.
^_^

:)

Yeah, I tried FL a couple of times myself (still have it just hidden on my computer) xD, I just done a few bits and then thought I will stick with Cubase instead...

Bspendlove
Bspendlove
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Oct. 22nd, 2013 @ 12:43 AM Reply

At 10/21/13 05:16 PM, zanaelf wrote: Thanks very much for the reply, yes Ignite is a great program that involves more playing and recording than post editing which is what I like, so cubase sounds like to be similar. I got fruitloops and I am totally fruitlooped , since its more of a sampler than getting down and playing. I caught on with ignite in a matter of hours of messing around, which led the penny to drop on made a pretty good rock song, for the first record. O.k well I know where to go and select what version I would like .... as the Earth is the playground and money is the disease.

Also, are you in education or know a music teacher close? It could really help if you bought the educational version via a music teacher or school... or use a educational discount with college or Uni if you are...

LucidShadowDreamer
LucidShadowDreamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Apr. 16th, 2014 @ 06:53 PM Reply

Hahha... The Fruity Loops thread currently has 216 pages... Do I feel lonely now :3
I'm currently using Cubase AI6. I know it's not the newest nor the best version, but it's the one I have. I'll probably upgrade once I've learned how to use DAWs more professionally XD

So tell me, am I shouting into an empty void over here? :(

Bspendlove
Bspendlove
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Apr. 16th, 2014 @ 08:26 PM Reply

At 4/16/14 06:53 PM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: So tell me, am I shouting into an empty void over here? :(

Of course! We Cubase users still are in defense in our DAW wars!

Jokes,

but I still use Cubase 5 and 6 because I am used to them. I'll upgrade to 7 soon...

LucidShadowDreamer
LucidShadowDreamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Apr. 16th, 2014 @ 08:38 PM Reply

At 4/16/14 08:26 PM, Bspendlove wrote:
At 4/16/14 06:53 PM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: So tell me, am I shouting into an empty void over here? :(

Jokes,

but I still use Cubase 5 and 6 because I am used to them. I'll upgrade to 7 soon...

I see. One day, we shall attack!!! :'D
I actually got my version for free (legally, I checked the license) by my piano teacher. He mostly uses logic, but he got Cubase AI 6 with a synth he bought, and he randomly gave it to me :/

It's good to know that there are some people I can come to with Cubase related questions if I ever get stuck :3

Bspendlove
Bspendlove
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Apr. 16th, 2014 @ 08:40 PM Reply

At 4/16/14 08:38 PM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote:
I actually got my version for free (legally, I checked the license) by my piano teacher.

You know that's odd! I got given the Cubase of my teacher (he actually bought it via the school) and I guess I had to be the luckiest person then because he introduced me to EWQL and had a few spare products to "lend" me xD

LucidShadowDreamer
LucidShadowDreamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Apr. 16th, 2014 @ 08:50 PM Reply

At 4/16/14 08:40 PM, Bspendlove wrote:
At 4/16/14 08:38 PM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote:
I actually got my version for free (legally, I checked the license) by my piano teacher.
You know that's odd! I got given the Cubase of my teacher (he actually bought it via the school) and I guess I had to be the luckiest person then because he introduced me to EWQL and had a few spare products to "lend" me xD

Wow, that's cool! If we ever become teachers, we must pass on the legacy, for sure! I'd like to have EWQL. I might just buy it once I've become more used to DAWs and composing in general :)

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Apr. 16th, 2014 @ 11:12 PM Reply

I have a question...

How good is Cubase in comparison to FL Studio?

ps. NOT because of Hans Zimmer uses it so I start asking...!
JacobCadmus
JacobCadmus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Apr. 16th, 2014 @ 11:59 PM Reply

At 4/16/14 11:12 PM, Elitistinen wrote: I have a question...

How good is Cubase in comparison to FL Studio?

ps. NOT because of Hans Zimmer uses it so I start asking...!

Depends on taste and style, but for cinematic composing, Cubase is a milestone better than FL. I'm using Digital Performer, but I'm eventually going to make the switch over to Cubase in due time.

Darkmetroidomega
Darkmetroidomega
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Apr. 17th, 2014 @ 12:19 AM Reply

At 4/16/14 08:26 PM, Bspendlove wrote:

Jokes,

Imo, I enjoyed using Cubase 5 moreso than I did 7. There are some definite improvements, though, and it really doesn't take that long to get used to the differences ;)

LucidShadowDreamer
LucidShadowDreamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Cubase Discussion Thread Apr. 17th, 2014 @ 03:45 AM Reply

At 4/17/14 12:19 AM, Darkmetroidomega wrote:

Imo, I enjoyed using Cubase 5 moreso than I did 7. There are some definite improvements, though, and it really doesn't take that long to get used to the differences ;)

Hahha, is that so XD?
I almost always feel the same when I upgrade a software of any kind. I actually liked some of the the old versions of Paint, Word and PowerPoint quite a lot more than the newer ones, even if they mostly have gotten improvements :p