New Topic Respond to this Topic
thefev
thefev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
How do you make your music? Aug. 22nd, 2008 @ 10:11 PM Reply

I was wondering, how do you get the ideas, the motivation etc.? Do you plan your song out before you even start making it, or do you just make it up as you go along? How do you plan it out? What are your techniques?
I'm new to the whole making music thing, and I was wondering how I should make a start. Help?

Achievement: +1 post count acquired!!!
STFU This sig is original ... Therefore another 1000 people have it.

PERVOK
PERVOK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to How do you make your music? Aug. 22nd, 2008 @ 10:17 PM Reply

At 8/22/08 10:11 PM, thefev wrote: I was wondering, how do you get the ideas, the motivation etc.? Do you plan your song out before you even start making it, or do you just make it up as you go along?

I go by feel, so I "make it up" (or so you put it) as I go along.

How do you plan it out?

Common sense. Intro, bridge, melody, bridge2, outro. That's my standard build, but it's always different every time.

What are your techniques?

Everything I'm good at.

I just write the thing that I want the song to revolve around (drums, melody, anything else) and then I just write the song accordingly.

Krank
Krank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to How do you make your music? Aug. 22nd, 2008 @ 10:30 PM Reply

I get 95% of my inspiration for new songs while I'm not making music. the toilet, listening to other songs, showering, eating breakfast, driving. I'll remember it and go work on it.

once I get a good idea going making music, i get excited like "whoa i'm making something awesome!" that excitement drives me to finish up the song.

SkatingIsGenetic
SkatingIsGenetic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to How do you make your music? Aug. 22nd, 2008 @ 11:41 PM Reply

Honestly, I get my inspiration from everyday things. But it's never the full length song that I conjure up in a split second. Usually I'll just get a feel for a particular ryhthm. It might be the part for a bass, or a synth or lead. And I'll write it out to make sure I never forget it and then build from there.

This is a cool thread. I'm sure someone already thought up this topic but I'm glad I was able to at least reply to this one.

MuZiCk.::.iS.::.E>

Flash-MX
Flash-MX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to How do you make your music? Aug. 23rd, 2008 @ 12:07 AM Reply

I'm a hummer myself,
I'll start humming something one day that I think could make a really cool song, then try to listen to how the song would sound like, and then use composition and instrumentation to make it sound as close as possible

Telliath
Telliath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to How do you make your music? Aug. 23rd, 2008 @ 01:03 AM Reply

Personally, I usually search for "the sound". Once I find a really good sound. I experiment and play around until I find myself with a good melody. I work my way from there. I rarely get inspiration for a song. But it does happen.

Developer
Developer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to How do you make your music? Aug. 23rd, 2008 @ 01:49 AM Reply

Well I've graduated two classes of piano and two month I studied to play on guitar. :D
How do I write music?) I sit from night till morning, then from morning till night, then I wake up, listen to what I made and think that I'm a complete fool to waste my time on such a crap. :D Sometimes of course))
I think you can learn everything you want if you really try, so just make your first step for another one, good luck!

Lapse
Lapse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to How do you make your music? Aug. 23rd, 2008 @ 02:48 AM Reply

At 8/22/08 10:11 PM, thefev wrote: I was wondering, how do you get the ideas, the motivation etc.? Do you plan your song out before you even start making it, or do you just make it up as you go along? How do you plan it out? What are your techniques?
I'm new to the whole making music thing, and I was wondering how I should make a start. Help?

I have no taught knowledge in musical theory or any of the instruments i play.
I know nothing about technical terms.
i just have ears and a mind to process what sounds go to me.

I know that this sounds good with that that
to speak vaguely and loosely.

Ideas and songs and such most of the time come from experimentation. Most of the time you have no idea what you want to do..you just start constructing sounds and noises.. Starting with one sound. Maybe you start off with a nice piano melody. Something really simple but nice. Then you slowly keep adding onto it, expanding it. I start off with different instruments, some times its drums, maybe a bass line. Then i apply other sounds and textures onto what i started with. You just keep expanding until it starts to take on a form. Being a musician is painting on silence! Motivation is never a problem it has seemed. Most of my free time is spent making music, its something that i find enjoyable to a limitless amount. Which is so great. Some times i start off with an initial melody or something that I've collected in my head. Those songs usually turn out really nice. The song I'm currently working on contains a few melodies that I've had in my head for years but have never accurately taken it from my mental ear to the physical. Which is exciting. : D

wyldfyre1
wyldfyre1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to How do you make your music? Aug. 23rd, 2008 @ 03:57 AM Reply

I basicly make music by letting it flow out of me some times it just happens.

Psil0
Psil0
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to How do you make your music? Aug. 23rd, 2008 @ 12:55 PM Reply

Music can be spontaneous (which is probably about 90% of all music) or it can be structured (the other 10%). Its generally a combination of the two. Usually you have an idea of how the song should be structured and then the actual song itself is spontaneous, you usually don't know what you want until you start writing and generating the overall feel. Most of the time you completely avoid the structure or make it flexible to what you're currently coming up with (this also helps to keep the song from sounding systematic or "shopped").

This is at least how I see it.

Now where my influence comes from? I honestly don't know. Most of the time it comes from what I feel, I generally like a dark nature to my music so I guess most of my ideas come from listening to dark music, watching evil movies, and fiddling around with minor scales until something flys out from me as "this is something that could go somewhere".

Cryptowen
Cryptowen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Krank
Krank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to How do you make your music? Aug. 23rd, 2008 @ 02:43 PM Reply

very carefulley with both hands.

I find its hard for me to make anything unless I've had a good wank

p4c
p4c
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to How do you make your music? Aug. 24th, 2008 @ 12:40 AM Reply

At 8/23/08 02:43 PM, Bjra wrote: very carefulley with both hands.

I find its hard for me to make anything unless I've had a good wank

amen :)

i usually start beatboxing in the shower and something comes up haha. and if i still remember it by the time i get to my computer, i get it down.

Suspended-3rd-Chord
Suspended-3rd-Chord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to How do you make your music? Aug. 24th, 2008 @ 06:02 AM Reply

At 8/22/08 10:11 PM, thefev wrote: I was wondering, how do you get the ideas, the motivation etc.?

ideas dont really know how I directly get them. the music you listen to will always be an influence. I try to analyze broadly what I hear through a song and that usually gives me ideas on how to structure and phase tracks.

motivation usually comes at random times, usually when I'm in a neutral mood and like others at inconvienent times. I can't say what gives me motivation, i cant simply look at a piece of scenery or go through an event and in turn be inspired to make related music :(

Do you plan your song out before you even start making it, or do you just make it up as you go along?

moreso the latter of that question, i might have a vague structure or an idea in mind but I let things run their course, use one rule "I either like it or I dont", and try and let the end result flow out and then make minor touchups and patching in the end.

How do you plan it out? What are your techniques?

I'll start with a melody, or a chord progression, or nice texture and go from there. Then deciding what mood/imagery I'll try to invoke I'll plan out these steps and use it as loose set of "rules" to create music while trying to keep a somewhat contained direction.

1. Once I establish the type of mood/imagery I want in the track, I can select what elements I want in a song

2. Instrumentation- What instruments are needed in this type of music? Generally, sitars and "dry" percussion can suggest desert themes, pan flutes can suggest something tribal or nature related, synthetic elements can suggest something futuristic or new age.

3. Chords and melody- the melody might be something i've had in my head (don't like to entirely rely on this though- I just have a fear that I'm unconsciously stealing an unknown melody I've heard sometime in the past), might be something I randomly get by pressing a few keys together, or it can be a melodic pattern I envision would look good on the piano roll or an instrument that I'm using. Sometimes I might build it from scratch- this is when music theory comes to play so if youre a noob here dont expect to know what I'm talking about. Something middle eastern, adventurous, I'll compose using the harmonic minor scale. if I want something adventurous, but maybe with a traveler, less evil type of sound I'll use the Dorian scale. I can go on. I'll usually mesh modes together, a different one utilized in the chord structure and a different one for the melody. and from these scales and modes that you know, you can build pertinent chords...Just remember, take note of the certain intervals that are special to these modes and use them effectively or else you wont be able to achieve that certain sound. some can just use their ears to guide them, and that works. But there's always music theory, and when you combine both the power of your mind/ears and a theoretical foundation you will have even more control.

4. support structure and countermelodies- basslines, drums and percussion, background FX, chord highlighting (the progressions themself are part of the structure). I don't really know how to explain the creative process here but I generally just go by what sounds good to me, and what feels appropriate for the current mood.

5. rhythm- extremely important. use it to make your melodies catchy and your chord structuring more interesting. i cant tell you how many artists here lay down chords through the entire song, with the rhythm being straight whole notes throughout. I know what certain rhythm schemes work and I try to incorporate them accordingly into my music and just see how it meshes in fits. Obviously, fast percussion will generally provide more energy and intensity. Slow percussion is good in intros and laid back sections. see how your arpeggios relates with the time signature (in all likeliness 4/4 or 3/4 :P). You might have to reorganize straight eighths so that it can fit one bar (although, dont stick by this) or it can sound awkward. if you feel you've got to big of a leap within a certain melody and you need to patch in more notes but it goes outside your rhythm structure, split up an eight note into two sixteenths, or even into three triplet sixteenths(is that right?). Just remember the rhythm is equally if not more important than the melody.

6. mixing- DO THIS WHILE YOU CREATE, NOT AT THE END. its easier to mix once you have a grasp of what instruments you have placed in a piece. it's not all about using EQ, compression, panning to make the mix feel loud and clear, but you can be creative with it too. Really, mess with different levels of reverb to take your ears on adventure. Apply dynamic panning with this so you can visualize something actually moving around in a 3D environment. just shit like that.

7. dynamics- do this while you create as well. a commonly disregarded element. apply different volume levels as well as the individual note velocity ranges, and make it flunctuate throughout to really pump out that expression. In percussion other than the melodic perc instruments you wont have a melody to work with, but you can make these parts vibrant and epic by really messing with the velocity levels. it will also make your music sound more realistic and less robotic, as if you were to plug in a MIDI keyboard and record it into FL studio, you will see that the note velocities will *never* be exactly the same.

good luck with your music making thefev! i have more tips but i've wrote enough....someone better find this post useful, i dont write TLDR posts only foi my personal enjoyment :(