Be a Supporter!
Bolo
Bolo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Blank Slate
Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:06:06 Reply

Let me put this in as simple terms as I possibly can: It is irresponsible to sell, consume, purchase, or voluntarily use sodas that contain High Fructose Corn Syrup -- In other words, any soda that is not labeled as "Diet".

High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is a cheaper alternative to sugar that is commercially available in every major grocery store in the world via many products, most notably Regular, Non-diet sodas. As the name implies, HFCS is a liquid, and it exists mainly to make things in which it is placed, much sweeter and more attractive to drink.

But this sweetening effect comes at a high price: Various studies of HFCS in Sodas have been released over the last decade, and all of them point to the fact that HFCS has become proportionally, the main constituent of calories in the average American diet.

What this means is that Non-Diet soft drinks are quickly emerging as perhaps the single biggest contributor to Obesity in the world.

Moreover, HFCS drinks contain high levels of harmful compounds known as "Carbonyls" which actually cause tissue damage in high doses -- in fact, a can of Non-Diet soda has about 500% the concentration of carbonyls as is found in the human bloodstream.

It is irresponsible to consume or sell these Non-Diet beverages because there is an unmistakeable connection between HFCS products and the perpetuation of obesity in America. In fact, the most far-reaching crime of all time is being perpetrated at this very moment by PepsiCo and The Coca-Cola Company, peddling their products cheaply to a wide base of users who will become enamored with the drink, not knowing its inherent dangers, and the fact that it may well be the only officially-approved product in the world with zero nutritional value.

It is especially heinous that these drinks continue to be sold, considering the artificial sweetener known as Sucralose is and has been available for use for nearly ten years. Sucralose (marketed as Splenda) is safe enough that according to Clinical Practical Guidelines, that you could theoretically consume 75 packets of Splenda every day for the rest of your life, and experience no adverse health effects. Add to that the fact that Splenda is 600 times sweeter than table sugar, so it requires less product to reach the same effect, and it really becomes clear that HFCS does not belong on shelves.

If you drink two or more cans of Non-Diet soda daily, you are an irresponsible consumer and a contributor to your own hastened demise, as well as the hastened demise of your ancestors.

[1]"If a child drinks two sodas each day, they are consuming roughly:

-300 calories (150 per glass of soda)

-If a child drinks two sodas each day for one year, they're consuming:

-109,500 calories a year
-300 calories a day for 365 days in a year = 109,500 calories

-Since 1 pound equals 3,500 calories:

-109,500 calories at 3,500 calories per pound = 31.29 pounds

-That means 109,500 calories over a year is 31.29 pounds of weight a year.

-Even if a child only has one soda a day, it leads to 15.6 pounds of weight a year."

Non-Diet Sodas

BBS Signature
2clips
2clips
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:09:57 Reply

sorry i couldn't read the text, i got the sauce from my tripple whopper extra mayo all over the screen.

the holy trinity - ctrl, alt, delete

Cordyceps
Cordyceps
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:12:51 Reply

...But it`s not irresponsible to buy them, is itÉ

CaveyMc-fat
CaveyMc-fat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:13:43 Reply

At 8/20/08 01:06 AM, Bolo wrote: Let me put this in as simple terms as I possibly can: It is irresponsible to sell, consume, purchase, or voluntarily use sodas that contain High Fructose Corn Syrup -- In other words, any soda that is not labeled as "Diet".

Why is it irresponsible to sell unhealthy products in order to make a profit?
People like it. People pay money for it. That is enough.

[HT]-Patrick

BBS Signature
ZachMM
ZachMM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:14:50 Reply

At 8/20/08 01:13 AM, Reed wrote: but diet tastes soo ickyy

Yup! Normal is the best. Just try not to excessively drink it!

Bolo
Bolo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:15:22 Reply

At 8/20/08 01:12 AM, Digital-Terror wrote: ...But it`s not irresponsible to buy them, is itÉ

By purchasing the product, you encourage the manufacturer to continue selling it. In that way, you perpetuate the cycle, and are indirectly responsible for causing millions of people to be obese.

BBS Signature
denose2003
denose2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:15:59 Reply

Your caloric additions per year are wrong.

We, as humans, are supposed to consume, on average, 2500 calories a day... Therefore, that would mean we would gain 260.7 pounds a year, if we went with your calculations.

We burn calories as well... So why are you factoring in weight gain without weight loss?

Diet sodas are, in fact, even WORST than non-diet sodas.

Studies have shown that people who drink diet sodas are actually fatter than people who drink regular sugar sodas.

The artificial sweeteners in "diet" sodas trick your metabolism and change your brain function, making you eat a lot more throughout the day.

Sodas are empty calories, I wouldn't recommend them at all.

But, get your facts straight before you go teaching people; you're like my mother, you think eating at night makes you fat, and that Carbohydrates aren't energy, and I could keep going on for a while.

BBS Signature
Laughingbox
Laughingbox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:18:28 Reply

Truth: obesity is indeed caused mainly by sodas.

Veritas est index sui et falsi. (Truth is the criterion of itself and the false.)
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero. (Sieze the day; trust little in tomorrow.)

putzpie
putzpie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:19:37 Reply

So you're bitching at us to start putting splenda in our soda, because you secretly have a fear of obese people, and we have absolute control on how soda is made.

anyway.

BBS Signature
OneWordName
OneWordName
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:20:19 Reply

I'd give a long lengthy speech, about why you're being an idiot, but I figure there will be enough shortly.

So, I'll just give you a plain and simple "Fuck you" and be on my way.

Non-Diet Sodas

Derp.

denose2003
denose2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:20:28 Reply

At 8/20/08 01:18 AM, Laughingbox wrote: Truth: obesity is indeed caused mainly by sodas.

Yes, but you choose to be obese; stop blaming it on sodas/ Mcdonalds.

You have a brain, it's not anybodies fault but your own.

BBS Signature
Armissea
Armissea
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 56
Gamer
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:22:30 Reply

I thought mountain dew game fuel tasted good

CaveyMc-fat
CaveyMc-fat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:22:45 Reply

At 8/20/08 01:15 AM, Bolo wrote:
At 8/20/08 01:12 AM, Digital-Terror wrote: ...But it`s not irresponsible to buy them, is itÉ
By purchasing the product, you encourage the manufacturer to continue selling it. In that way, you perpetuate the cycle, and are indirectly responsible for causing millions of people to be obese.

It's not the the retailers or the manufacturer's fault for obese people. The ones at fault are the ones who can't control themselves enough to drink soda in considerate amounts. Of course if you drink 2 sodas a day for everyday in a year, you will get fat. No fucking duh. Also, its not just the soda. Unhealthy things in general will get you fat if you eat it too much. But it's not the retailer's fault. I buy non-diet sodas because I hate how diet soda tastes. But I have enough common sense and self control that I resist myself from drinking it frequently. We are all responsible for our own body. If you get fat, it's your own fucking fault.

[HT]-Patrick

BBS Signature
36Holla
36Holla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Filmmaker
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:25:01 Reply

I just gave up soda altogether. Even with the Diet, in the name I still don't drink it because even though it says no calories, I doubted that there was anything healthy about the stuff. Nothing wrong with a glass of cold water I say.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature
denose2003
denose2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:26:54 Reply

At 8/20/08 01:25 AM, 36Holla wrote: I just gave up soda altogether. Even with the Diet, in the name I still don't drink it because even though it says no calories, I doubted that there was anything healthy about the stuff. Nothing wrong with a glass of cold water I say.

Cold water and Non-fat Skim milk is some of the best stuff you can drink.

Eat Spinach, eggs, turkey, lunch meats, etc.

I eat whatever I like (happens to be healthy stuff) and I'm in the best shape of my life (really good).

So, fat people could go eat a dagger.

BBS Signature
Bolo
Bolo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:28:25 Reply

At 8/20/08 01:15 AM, denose2003 wrote: Your caloric additions per year are wrong.

We, as humans, are supposed to consume, on average, 2500 calories a day... Therefore, that would mean we would gain 260.7 pounds a year, if we went with your calculations.

It is the University of Southern California's statistics, not mine. You'll have to take that up with them. I'm assuming 2500 calories a day is what is required to maintain status quo weight. The soda works on top of that 2500, adding weight over time.

We burn calories as well... So why are you factoring in weight gain without weight loss?

Ever-decreasing rates of exercise, however, causes fewer calories to be burnt. Many people in third world countries, especially, are unaware of the dangers of Sodas, and the necessity of exercise. Many here in the first world simply don't understand, or haven't been informed.

Diet sodas are, in fact, even WORST than non-diet sodas.

[1]

Diet sodas containing ASPARTAME, you mean. Sodas that contain SUCRALOSE are by far the healthiest alternative. Read the links posted in the first post above, which state that Sucralose (Coke Zero, Pepsi Max) can be consumed with little health detriment

Studies have shown that people who drink diet sodas are actually fatter than people who drink regular sugar sodas.

People who drink sodas containing ASPARTAME and SACCHARIN.

BBS Signature
MikeRomanul
MikeRomanul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:34:14 Reply

Meh.. I probably just drink a 20 sodas per year. Mostly at friends parties when there's nothing else to drink... or movies.

I do however drink arizone ice tea a lot... it has HFCS.... but it tastes so good.

I'll try to not drink it as much.

xskatasticx
xskatasticx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:36:15 Reply

Soda reminds me of cigarettes, you get hooked and you don't know whats in them.
But their are some cane sugar sodas that I don't really see a problem with.

denose2003
denose2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:40:12 Reply

Bolo, thank you for the information.

I will call the University aforementioned and will get back to you with as much information as possible.

I, myself, am a health major...

BBS Signature
Bolo
Bolo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:43:00 Reply

At 8/20/08 01:19 AM, putzpie wrote: So you're bitching at us to start putting splenda in our soda, because you secretly have a fear of obese people, and we have absolute control on how soda is made.
anyway.

Not at all. I'm telling you to take control of your life, and the lives of others by avoiding regular sodas in favor of Alternatives like Coke with Splenda, and Pepsi ONE (which has both Splenda and Ace-K).

In this way, we reduce the obesity of ourselves, and of our friends and family.

BBS Signature
Zack
Zack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:51:22 Reply

I agree with you on ever single level. After being off soda for as long as I have I realized not only how unhealthy they are but Christ stop drinking them for about 6 months and then try to drink one, it taste pretty disgusting.

I'll stick to my Honest Dragon Green Tea and good ol' fashion Water.

"Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."
~Henry Rollins

BBS Signature
Kuro
Kuro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:52:25 Reply

At 8/20/08 01:15 AM, denose2003 wrote: Studies have shown

Non-Diet Sodas

Kuro - Puting the 'Kur' back in 'inkurable disease.'

BBS Signature
TheFireFoxFF
TheFireFoxFF
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:52:44 Reply

Coca-cola manufactures a brand of coke named simply "Cocaine". Don't believe me? Check it for yourself: OMG NO WAI but yes way! This stuff has three and a half times the caffeine of a single can of Red Bull. This stuff has a damn good kick this stuff can make you go ape-shit!

Off topic? Hmm maybe, well lets get a little on topic:

Though i agree with you with all my heart, not my soul because i sold that to get a burrito supreme from taco bell, i have to say there's a slight blasting out of proportion here. "Drinking two cans of soda a day." If only the world was so simplistic. We as people are irrational and theoretically, situationally unpredictable with given respects.

People for the most part have lives, though 2/3 times they're pathetic if they can even be called that. Us/you Newgrounders most of the time have lives as i see on the boards and i find these boards 9/10, freakin' hilarious, i mean liver popping-out-of-your-belly-after-snorting -out-your-eyes funny. That's pretty funny. Back to the point; People will most of the time not be dulled down to a simple statistic as to that they will drink 2 cans of soda each day. They can try, but i guarantee that they wont make it, if they have a soul or a life. Lacking in one of the two may enable you to such an achievement.

Not to mention, which has already been mentioned, you aren't counting weight loss. Since it's been mentioned, i wont mention it further. People burn calories when they sleep, when they blink, when they think too damn hard and especially when they struggle with one big-ass dump, we've all been there. Again, i agree, just not to such an theoretically, statistical extreme as you've put it.

I hope the point was kinda touched by my post...

Moral: Don't be too fat. If you get exhausted from putting your socks on 5 hours later, you might have a problem.

Moral P.S.: Everybody loves skittles

Non-Diet Sodas

My tail is so fluffy!
Jealous? I would be too if my rear was bald and tail-challenged!
I wish i had thumbs, paws are hard to game with...

BBS Signature
Doom-Fan
Doom-Fan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:54:34 Reply

Diet is just a worse version of normal coke... I guess just drink normal... but not too much.

rjhreilly@hotmail.com
STEAM: _frizzyskernip_

BBS Signature
Serphyas
Serphyas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 01:54:53 Reply

Soda elsewhere is made with real (cane) sugar and tastes exponentially better and more natural, but here in good old 'Merica our sodas are filled with this toxic shit because it saves Coca-Cola money at the expense of the public's health.

And it doesn't stop at soda people. This shit is in our bread. BREAD. It's EVERYWHERE. Remember to read the product labels.

Torques my nuts.

BBS Signature
denose2003
denose2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2008-08-20 02:02:01 Reply

At 8/20/08 01:54 AM, Serphyas wrote: Soda elsewhere is made with real (cane) sugar and tastes exponentially better and more natural, but here in good old 'Merica our sodas are filled with this toxic shit because it saves Coca-Cola money at the expense of the public's health.

And it doesn't stop at soda people. This shit is in our bread. BREAD. It's EVERYWHERE. Remember to read the product labels.

Torques my nuts.

I always wondered why Pepsi/Cola in a glass bottle tasted better and why Fanta in Romania tastes better.

o.o!!!

BBS Signature
POOPIES
POOPIES
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2009-02-02 03:52:01 Reply

At 8/20/08 01:43 AM, Bolo wrote: Not at all. I'm telling you to take control of your life, and the lives of others by avoiding regular sodas in favor of Alternatives like Coke with Splenda, and Pepsi ONE (which has both Splenda and Ace-K).

In this way, we reduce the obesity of ourselves, and of our friends and family.

That's pretty goddamn sensationalistic, mayn.

A soda every once in a while ain't gonna kill you.

BBS Signature
foshiznay
foshiznay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2009-02-02 04:12:26 Reply

Only has one soda a day?

I wish I could drink that much :l

BBS Signature
qu3muchach0
qu3muchach0
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2009-02-02 04:12:45 Reply

all i ever drink are diet sodas because the regular ones taste too sticky...

so i says to the barkeep, "that's no dog, that's my wife!"

Igotaname13
Igotaname13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Non-Diet Sodas 2009-02-02 05:36:13 Reply

Well I guess I am obese /sarcasm

I take in over 2000 calories a day

And Im under weight

Which is very odd