00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Hip-hop Help Thread

2,333 Views | 30 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 02:44:58

Basically since most people come around asking for help with Trance, Techno, and other popular genres in this site, I'm here to help assist anyone who needs help with all your hip-hop needs. I'll try to be as active as possible as to helping people out, as well as trying to bring a few of the big names from the HH section to assist with all your questions regarding sampling, breakbeats, scratching, and even just trying to lay down a groove. Remember, Hip-Hop is one of the most diverse genres, so practically anything can be labeled as Hip-Hop, as long as it has a few of the correct elements.

Step 1.

General Equalizing.

Volumes are important here, because you must make sure vocals are clear without actually drowning out the instrumental, or even vice versa. Taking the time to pay attention to the volume levels can make the biggest difference in any track. So it's great to keep that in mind.

Step 2.

Not all Hip-Hop is about the same shit.

If you want make Hip-Hop, it's best to go for what you feel. Of course you can go on the whole "crunk, money, bitches, and cars" style, though it isn't recommended here because that usually shows stereotypes. Using emotion is a key factor when creating ANY kind of music. It just doesn't happen as much in Hip-Hop. So actually using raw emotion to create a Hip-Hop song can get you noticed for being different.

Step 3.

Lyricism.... cat, hat bat, rat... no.

If you're trying to write lyrics, it's best to get motivation first. It's very easy to use the same line someone else uses, so it's best to do some research for word availability. Last thing you'd want is someone saying you "bit off" another rapper.

Key factors of lyricism : Flow / rhythm; Wordplay / usage of multi-syllable rhyme schemes; Punchlines (similies, metaphors, the works...); Vocal delivery (make sure you memorize your lyrics before recording. Helps out A LOT); and last but definitely not least.... Breath control. No one wants to hear you trying to rap while having an asthma attack.

For people who want to learn, I'll be more than happy to help you out if you leave a PM in my inbox. Lately, I've been busy, so I really can't guarantee that I'll be on AIM ( sn = LyricalVisionary ), but it's worth a try anyways.

Also, lets try to keep the "I hate Hip-Hop" posts to a minimum. Not often someone from hip-hop talks about another genre when they're trying to assist people. I'm only doing this to increase the output of the Hip-Hop section to give it a better reputation. ^_^

TdM / Cannibal Brigade / The Silent Minority / NUG Ventrilo Mod

Cyrez Tha War Spawn

BBS Signature

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 03:05:12

HELPFUL.

you get 8949615196436846483648468+cool points

I AM RAPPER ALYX I AM G EAZY I AM Z RO I AM THE KING OF THE GHETTO

ASK HOW

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 05:01:39

At 8/14/08 03:05 AM, Swirly-Helix wrote: HELPFUL.

you get 8949615196436846483648468+cool points

I love you too baybee :3

Cyrez Tha War Spawn

BBS Signature

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 05:30:52

I know I'm nowhere near a hip hop great, but I will try to help.

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 06:09:32

One thing I like about hiphop in the more recent years is that it's beginning to mesh with electronica, that is to say more hiphop artists are using saws, sequencers, and even raw synths.

For example: Chris Brown's "Forever."

It sounds like something someone on Newgrounds would make (thats a compliment, trust me)

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 09:22:52

At 8/14/08 06:09 AM, nal1200 wrote: One thing I like about hiphop in the more recent years is that it's beginning to mesh with electronica, that is to say more hiphop artists are using saws, sequencers, and even raw synths.

Oh of course. The growing increase in compatibility of instruments is what makes Hip-Hop great. Literally ANYTHING can be labeled as Hip-Hop now when it comes to instrumentals. Whether it be sampling, using synths, or even just natural instruments, there are absolutely no boundaries to creating a Hip-Hop song.

Cyrez Tha War Spawn

BBS Signature

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 09:41:54

Give us tips on making hip-hop instrumentals, since I can't rap.

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 09:44:18

At 8/14/08 09:41 AM, SineRider wrote: Give us tips on making hip-hop instrumentals, since I can't rap.

Depends, what do you need to know about hip-hop instrumentals?

Trust in Lord with all your heart. Lean not to your own understanding. YOU TOO DUMB to handle it!

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 09:48:54

At 8/14/08 09:44 AM, Smurfbeatz wrote:

I guess tips on sampling. Its my favorite style of Hip-hop. I know how to sample. I've done it before many times, I just never seem to find anything good to sample =/

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 09:55:02

At 8/14/08 09:48 AM, SineRider wrote:
I guess tips on sampling. Its my favorite style of Hip-hop. I know how to sample. I've done it before many times, I just never seem to find anything good to sample =/

It's gotta depend on how hard and long you want to spend looking for samples.
People record dig for like 5 hours a day to come out with about 3 possibilities.

Sampling is generally the only type of hip hop I listen to, but when I make it I have to edit everything to such an amount before I consider showing anyone else, just because I need it to feel more personal, and like I've actually put my best into it.

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 09:56:51

Hmm...if you're an FL user sampling is very easy. Basically, find a part of any genre of music that stands out amongst the whole song (For example, Beyonce's "To the left" from her Irreplaceable acapella, or the opening string progression in Don't Be Afraid from Final Fantasy). Get the actual file and import it into your program. (I recommend FL) When you import it, you can physically find that part and cut it out. Using this exerpt, you can loop it and toy with it, etc. When you have a set progression for how the sample will be displaced amongst your song, make a percussion line to accompany. Sometimes synths work as well. Very important to equalize so your percussion doesn't overpower your sample and vice-versa.

Here's an example of some sampling I did. http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 18363

Trust in Lord with all your heart. Lean not to your own understanding. YOU TOO DUMB to handle it!

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 09:59:06

One point I forgot! Make sure to find the tempo of your sample so your percussion will run smoothly. Also, augmenting pitch can work really well.

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 10:06:42

At 8/14/08 09:56 AM, Smurfbeatz wrote: Hmm...if you're an FL user sampling is very easy. Basically, find a part of any genre of music that stands out amongst the whole song (For example, Beyonce's "To the left" from her Irreplaceable acapella, or the opening string progression in Don't Be Afraid from Final Fantasy). Get the actual file and import it into your program. (I recommend FL) When you import it, you can physically find that part and cut it out. Using this exerpt, you can loop it and toy with it, etc. When you have a set progression for how the sample will be displaced amongst your song, make a percussion line to accompany. Sometimes synths work as well. Very important to equalize so your percussion doesn't overpower your sample and vice-versa.

Thanks for the tips foogie and smurf. I see what you guys are saying. I find it fun to sample, in any music form. Its more of a challenge to make a song out of other songs, not even with anything synths or percussion samples. Its an interesting and satisfying result. Its too bad a lot of people don't understand it, and label it as stealing.

I also made a beat on my alt when warspasm made that oblivion rap thread.

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 10:07:09

At 8/14/08 09:55 AM, Ambimetric wrote:

Yeah, having a good source is the first step to sampling. Lucky for you, I've been called a sampling god by few people on this due to me having 100% purely sampled songs. This site here needs searching through blogs, but once found can lead to great sampling goodness. A personal fav of mine is this one. Over 500 breaks to work with, all in different qualities. Good stuff there.

It's gotta depend on how hard and long you want to spend looking for samples.
People record dig for like 5 hours a day to come out with about 3 possibilities.

Sampling is generally the only type of hip hop I listen to, but when I make it I have to edit everything to such an amount before I consider showing anyone else, just because I need it to feel more personal, and like I've actually put my best into it.

Hell, there's some great samplers on NG besides myself. There's Yun and Yang Veroz, The Wonder, Kezelevich, Jincallo, and a hand full of other people who make sampling so great :>

Cyrez Tha War Spawn

BBS Signature

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 10:18:18

At 8/14/08 10:07 AM, war-spawn wrote: Hell, there's some great samplers on NG besides myself. There's Yun and Yang Veroz, The Wonder, Kezelevich, Jincallo, and a hand full of other people who make sampling so great :>

Yeah Yun was in my most listened artists of all time on last fm for so long, infact, I think he's still there.

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 10:21:19

At 8/14/08 10:18 AM, Ambimetric wrote:
At 8/14/08 10:07 AM, war-spawn wrote: Hell, there's some great samplers on NG besides myself. There's Yun and Yang Veroz, The Wonder, Kezelevich, Jincallo, and a hand full of other people who make sampling so great :>
Yeah Yun was in my most listened artists of all time on last fm for so long, infact, I think he's still there.

Yeah, Yun and I are musical lovers in a non-homo way. We've collabed so many times, and he posts up great sampling goodness here and then. My personal fav from hm is Outstrumental.

Cyrez Tha War Spawn

BBS Signature

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 10:23:04

I'm not big on sampling. Don't get me wrong, it sounds amazing, but I have too many melodies going through my head to have time for sampling.

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 10:24:25

At 8/14/08 10:23 AM, Smurfbeatz wrote: I'm not big on sampling. Don't get me wrong, it sounds amazing, but I have too many melodies going through my head to have time for sampling.

Yeah. I feel the same way sometimes, but I don't have the actual sounds to make it sound the way I want. That's when sampling + Melodyne comes in :>

Cyrez Tha War Spawn

BBS Signature

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 10:29:47

At 8/14/08 10:18 AM, Ambimetric wrote: Yeah Yun was in my most listened artists of all time on last fm for so long, infact, I think he's still there.

Flattery will get you everywhere, my good sir.

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 10:36:28

At 8/14/08 09:48 AM, SineRider wrote: I guess tips on sampling. Its my favorite style of Hip-hop. I know how to sample. I've done it before many times, I just never seem to find anything good to sample =/

Digging for things to sample is the adventure part, be it online or in the record store! It's not hard, it just requires some common sense and a good ear.

Just listening for things that catch your ear is the easy part. Logically figuring out how to let them flow together as one coherent piece is the hard part. Practice makes perfect. Perfect practice makes permanence.

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 15:01:14

Hell yeah Spawn this is kick ass man! im gald some one took the time to post some helpful things about Hip hop!!!! this is the mending! you know you should give a lession or two on the NG vent!

The Hip-hop Help Thread

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 22:03:23

At 8/14/08 03:01 PM, Druids-Warcry wrote: Hell yeah Spawn this is kick ass man! im gald some one took the time to post some helpful things about Hip hop!!!! this is the mending! you know you should give a lession or two on the NG vent!

You might want to change the picture Druid. Your typos are killing me xDD

But yeah, I'll be more than happy to assist people by pointing them in the right direction for sampling. Just don't expect me to do EVERYTHING like a few people wanted me to do when we collabed >__>

Cyrez Tha War Spawn

BBS Signature

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 22:50:50

At 8/14/08 10:24 AM, war-spawn wrote:
At 8/14/08 10:23 AM, Smurfbeatz wrote: I'm not big on sampling. Don't get me wrong, it sounds amazing, but I have too many melodies going through my head to have time for sampling.
Yeah. I feel the same way sometimes, but I don't have the actual sounds to make it sound the way I want. That's when sampling + Melodyne comes in :>

hey was your orchestra in your warbeat sampled or did you compose that??

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 23:07:50

Sampling isn't easy, but it's not mindbending rocket science either. First find a stand out point in a song, then cut it down to big sections. either two or four bars. Then chop up the interesting bits, indiviual notes, or 'hit points' time stretch them (if you want) then sequence them like a drum track.

done.

ASK HOW

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-14 23:12:52

At 8/14/08 10:50 PM, Suspended-3rd-Chord wrote:
At 8/14/08 10:24 AM, war-spawn wrote:
hey was your orchestra in your warbeat sampled or did you compose that??

It was 100% sampled. The strings / harps are from Megaman X8, vocals were from Hitman : Blood Money, and everything was microsampled and rearranged to a different melody. Good times.

Cyrez Tha War Spawn

BBS Signature

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-15 18:40:56

At 8/14/08 11:07 PM, Swirly-Helix wrote:

Sampling isn't easy, but it's not mindbending rocket science either. First find a stand out point in a song, then cut it down to big sections. either two or four bars. Then chop up the interesting bits, indiviual notes, or 'hit points' time stretch them (if you want) then sequence them like a drum track.

done.

For the most part, it's relatively easy once you get used to it. If anything, if someone wants to learn how to sample here uses FL, I'll be more than glad to show them one of my projects, and how I sampled it :3

Cyrez Tha War Spawn

BBS Signature

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-23 17:07:47

in response to this thread I made this beat today: hip hop beet
propably 90% of it is sampled, rest is some extra synthesized drums i made some while ago, some additional bass programming and some brass hits - 82 bpm - average time per sample is propably around an 8th note.
any questions about techniques I'll be happy to respond to.
The original is propably hard to find/notice, so extra props to the person doing just that :)

I produce Music for Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-23 18:40:30

At 8/23/08 05:07 PM, Macsalad wrote: in response to this thread I made this beat today: hip hop beet

I dont even know where to start, damn.

ASK HOW

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-23 20:07:14

just start by cutting up a nice piece of a track in small pieces - then apply some eventual compressing and EQing on the individual bits depending on what you want to enhance (i.e. kick, snare, bass, whatever)
start to sequence the bitches and just keep adding and adding.
fuck it up completely (like me) and add something really cheesey (i.e. filtered piano chords or brass hits)

i need to correct myself in my previous post, the track is 86 bpm!

I produce Music for Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to The Hip-hop Help Thread 2008-08-23 23:47:17

This is a prime example of good Olskool Hip-Hop.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 64981

..............The Guide to Newgrounds Audio

Latest Track: Phoenix

BBS Signature