New Topic Respond to this Topic
xTOXICxEMPIRE
xTOXICxEMPIRE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Playing with fire. Aug. 11th, 2008 @ 07:38 AM Reply

Yeah, well recently, i've been trying to draw kinda realistic looking flames an water, without going over the top and losing the whole cartoony feel to it. And also trying to get hands too look right, instead of just constantly drawing fists and flat palms. Anyway, a couple days ago I was teaching one of my friends how to basically draw a person, and we got to the hand and as I always do I move my hand in different ways to see if I can draw it look that, and make it look good. But this time, I actually got the hand to look really good, and then when I added the flames, I decided to do something differently. Instead of just my usual boring fireball, I decided to make the flames kinda "see through". I dunno, tell me what you think.

Playing with fire.

My Art Thread! || Flash Reg Lounge! || CTSG Collab! :'( //
"And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun, for the people who are still alive..."

BBS Signature
xTOXICxEMPIRE
xTOXICxEMPIRE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Playing with fire. Aug. 11th, 2008 @ 07:40 AM Reply

If you want to see the whole picture, click the link
Whole Picture (if you want to see the whole thing for full effect)

Playing with fire.

"And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun, for the people who are still alive..."

BBS Signature
FrozenSheep
FrozenSheep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Animator
Response to Playing with fire. Aug. 11th, 2008 @ 03:30 PM Reply

Work on your fire more.
The center fire is way to semitropical and that is off putting with fire.

Shreddy
Shreddy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Playing with fire. Aug. 11th, 2008 @ 04:01 PM Reply

the arm with fire is WAY too long on the full drawing

-no ones home-

roflmuffins8
roflmuffins8
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Playing with fire. Aug. 11th, 2008 @ 04:09 PM Reply

At 8/11/08 04:01 PM, Shreddy wrote: the arm with fire is WAY too long on the full drawing

Actually, I think it looks normal. The length and size of arms and legs all depends on your style of drawing.

diginit
diginit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Playing with fire. Aug. 12th, 2008 @ 03:07 AM Reply

fire's pretty good. but personally i think the whole character looks off.

Mercenary81
Mercenary81
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Playing with fire. Aug. 12th, 2008 @ 03:43 AM Reply

Hey Toxic Empire, any chance you remember me? :)
Your guy has the anatomy of a gorilla. It's a nice effect, unless you aren't going for it. It's really easy to fix, either shorten his arms or lengthen his legs. If it still looks a bit off, try thinning the torso. Hope that helps, unless it was actually a style you were going for.
The fire, doesn't look bad. But it doesn't look good. Im not sure how to give advice on that, I can't really describe the way I draw it, so i'll leave advice on that to someone else.
I can tell you though, if you're making fire in flash, a nice basic effect can be achieved by putting everything on a different layer, inside a movie clip, then just playing around with the blur and glow.

Ghost/Supernat. Club | Join the Family | The FlashBase.
You always need at least one asshole moderator for your forum. Its not opinion, its fact

Mercenary81
Mercenary81
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Playing with fire. Aug. 12th, 2008 @ 03:51 AM Reply

Sorry for the double post, I thought up some things to say about the fire.
The 'sort of transparent' effect is nice. Keep it. The fire itself though, looks too watery, if that makes sense. The little details inside it aren't jagged enough and look more like bubbles then the effect you were going for. The shape is also a bit messed up, fire doesn't shape itself that way. As i said in my post above, I can't really describe how i do it, and i don't want to try and end up giving bad advice, so well, i wont.
But i can say, don't have any transparency in the middle of the fire, but nearer to the outer edges is where you really want to show off the effect. The sparks around the fire don't make much sense, to get a more realistic (i know you want to keep the cartoony style) effect, have the sparks get smaller the further away from the fire they get. Also, you probably want to make them a bit more jagged, to avoid that watery effect i mentioned earlier.

I see it as 'don't tell them what they did right, but what they did wrong'. Its a good drawing overall, but you'll never get any better if everyone just tells you it's good, or says something like "It just looks off". So yeah, sorry for the wall of text, but i think it should help if you take it to heart.

Ghost/Supernat. Club | Join the Family | The FlashBase.
You always need at least one asshole moderator for your forum. Its not opinion, its fact

Shreddy
Shreddy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Playing with fire. Aug. 12th, 2008 @ 05:28 AM Reply

At 8/11/08 04:09 PM, roflmuffins8 wrote:
At 8/11/08 04:01 PM, Shreddy wrote: the arm with fire is WAY too long on the full drawing
Actually, I think it looks normal. The length and size of arms and legs all depends on your style of drawing.

look at it in relation to the other one

-no ones home-

xTOXICxEMPIRE
xTOXICxEMPIRE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Playing with fire. Aug. 12th, 2008 @ 05:41 AM Reply

At 8/11/08 03:30 PM, FrozenSheep wrote: Work on your fire more.
The center fire is way to semitropical and that is off putting with fire.

Sorry, are you saying it looks like a plant, or is that a mathematical term? I guess it does look a bit... spiky and mechanical. I used to draw realistic fire, but I like this. It's just how I draw, my niche I guess you could say.

Yeah, I definitely see where you're coming from. That arm really pissed me off, I couldn't get it right. Also, I didn't know how he was going to hold his arm, so I just made him bend it, and it looked retarded. But then again, it does look extended because of the fire, you need to keep that in mind.

Hey, cheers man! yeah, thats how I draw my guys. :)

BBS Signature
Shreddy
Shreddy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Playing with fire. Aug. 12th, 2008 @ 05:54 AM Reply

Yeah, I definitely see where you're coming from. That arm really pissed me off, I couldn't get it right. Also, I didn't know how he was going to hold his arm, so I just made him bend it, and it looked retarded. But then again, it does look extended because of the fire, you need to keep that in mind.

i dunno, just have a look at his forearm, its just a tad too long :)

could also just try drawing a stick figure to get the form you require then use that as a guide for creating your character. Imagine the stick being the characters skeleton :)

Playing with fire.

-no ones home-

xTOXICxEMPIRE
xTOXICxEMPIRE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Playing with fire. Aug. 12th, 2008 @ 07:08 AM Reply

At 8/12/08 03:43 AM, Mercenary81 wrote: Hey Toxic Empire, any chance you remember me? :)
Your guy has the anatomy of a gorilla...
At 8/12/08 03:51 AM, Mercenary81 wrote: Sorry for the double post, I thought up some things to say about the fire.
The 'sort of transparent' effect is nice. Keep it. The fire itself though, looks too watery, if that makes sense...

Whoa! Thanks heaps for the freaking sweet wall of text Mercenary! I remember you from PTA collab, lol. Anyway, i'll definitely take in what you said about the flames, I see what you're talking about. Also, about the kinda gorilla thing, its just always how I've drawn my bodies. I'm really looking for a new way though. Love the constructive criticism, its what i'm looking for!

At 8/12/08 05:54 AM, Shreddy wrote: i dunno, just have a look at his forearm, its just a tad too long :)
could also just try drawing a stick figure to get the form you require then use that as a guide for creating your character. Imagine the stick being the characters skeleton :)

Yeah, whenever I draw someone, I always start of with the "sketch skeleton" as I call it. But instead a stickfigure, its made up of rough ovals and rectangles. Not lines, but I might try it just to get the proportions right I guess, ass I don't really add in kneecaps/elbows until the sketching, I just overlap the ovals if you know what I mean. Cheers man!

BBS Signature
Shreddy
Shreddy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Playing with fire. Aug. 12th, 2008 @ 07:12 AM Reply

Yeah, whenever I draw someone, I always start of with the "sketch skeleton" as I call it. But instead a stickfigure, its made up of rough ovals and rectangles. Not lines, but I might try it just to get the proportions right I guess, ass I don't really add in kneecaps/elbows until the sketching, I just overlap the ovals if you know what I mean. Cheers man!

well whenever im unsure i do it in steps:

- stick skeleton
- basic oval muscles
- basic detail
- fine detail

:)

-no ones home-

roflmuffins8
roflmuffins8
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Playing with fire. Aug. 12th, 2008 @ 08:58 AM Reply

At 8/12/08 05:28 AM, Shreddy wrote:
look at it in relation to the other one

Oh, I didn't know there was a full picture. Now I agree with you.

xTOXICxEMPIRE
xTOXICxEMPIRE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Playing with fire. Aug. 13th, 2008 @ 03:36 AM Reply

At 8/12/08 08:58 AM, roflmuffins8 wrote: Oh, I didn't know there was a full picture. Now I agree with you.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It does look a bit long, especially the forearm.

BBS Signature
Krayon
Krayon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Playing with fire. Aug. 13th, 2008 @ 04:05 AM Reply

When doing fire put more definition into the centre, remember, it swirls and coils. The centre would be ball like with the flames shooting upwards.

Forum sig? Whats that.. 3D art thread, My art thread

Undertone
Undertone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Filmmaker
Response to Playing with fire. Aug. 13th, 2008 @ 06:51 AM Reply

I dunno, I like it, and that's coming from someone who thinks anyone who draws anime-eyes should be introduced to a cruise missile. Flaming hands are smart, and I want that jackety thing!

xTOXICxEMPIRE
xTOXICxEMPIRE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Playing with fire. Aug. 13th, 2008 @ 07:12 AM Reply

At 8/13/08 06:51 AM, Undertone wrote: I dunno, I like it, and that's coming from someone who thinks anyone who draws anime-eyes should be introduced to a cruise missile. Flaming hands are smart, and I want that jackety thing!

As much as I love constructive criticism, that absolutely made my day mate! CHEERS!

:)

BBS Signature
Peglay
Peglay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Playing with fire. Aug. 13th, 2008 @ 07:13 AM Reply

Nice.....Just dont burn your hair when you play with fire....

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else.

BBS Signature
xTOXICxEMPIRE
xTOXICxEMPIRE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Playing with fire. Aug. 14th, 2008 @ 06:23 AM Reply

At 8/13/08 07:13 AM, Peglay wrote: Nice.....Just dont burn your hair when you play with fire....

Um... thanks?
Oh, right. Referencing the title. Sorry. Kinda looking for constructive criticism though, over random comments.

BBS Signature