New Topic Respond to this Topic
hugh-jarse
hugh-jarse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
How long will humans exist? 2003-11-03 06:53:44 Reply

How much longer do you think this world will be able to support human life??

We have fucked our planet over hundreds of times and it is going to fight back with mass genecide, before it dies out.

We've robbed her of forestation, sustainable soil, ground water, resources, fauna, ozone etc. etc.

We've polluted the air, soil and the water. We've polluted each other.

Recycling has been established far too long from any position to do any good. We've exhausted our food supplies and oxygen. Forgotten about the populations living outside of our lands, that suffer daily.

Unless something happens, now.

I dont think we'll live out the end of this century..

Slightly-Crazy-Dude
Slightly-Crazy-Dude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-03 07:39:05 Reply

I personally dont think its the planet we have to worry about Tim. Everyday a new war starts and and an old one ends...We are killing ourselves off slowly but surely and it will be us that leads the our final destruction.

D2Kvirus
D2Kvirus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-03 09:13:13 Reply

At 11/3/03 06:53 AM, hugh_jarse wrote: How much longer do you think this world will be able to support human life??

At the current rate: A fortnight.

Flippant, but quite possibly true.

Propaganda is to a Democracy what violence is to a Dictatorship
Never underestimate the significance of "significant."
NG Politics Discussion 101

BBS Signature
JMHX
JMHX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-03 09:35:59 Reply

The planet can repair itself. We cannot. I don't agree with people believing human beings are "divine" or "god-chosen" to run the planet simply because they refuse to accept that we are just another link in the great evolutionary chain. At this rate, we'll have an existance just as every other dominant species has had -- I think it's time we brought the Platypus to center stage.

BBS Signature
Slightly-Crazy-Dude
Slightly-Crazy-Dude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-03 10:10:10 Reply

Well think of the time it takes for things to evolve into "better" beings, i just cant see us making that significant a mark on the universe in like all these sci-fi novels and movies. I think we will eventually kill ourselves off and then the planet will start afresh and maybe make it better this time around.

JMHX
JMHX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-03 10:48:52 Reply

Although we are not 'divine' by any means, as a race and as various cultures, we have achieved great things, things that will stand the test of time long after we have either died out or reverted to nomadic tribes. The work of the Egyptians stands today even though the beliefs and systems of those men and women have long since died. Christianity will, in the future, be read in schools just as myths are, with a sense of "How did they believe THAT?"

BBS Signature
SteveGuzzi
SteveGuzzi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Writer
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-03 11:43:38 Reply

At 11/3/03 09:35 AM, JudgeMeHarshX wrote: The planet can repair itself. We cannot.

Explain.

BBS Signature
Livecorpse
Livecorpse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-03 11:52:37 Reply

Time to upload our consciousness into silicon bodies.
THE END

RedSkunk
RedSkunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Writer
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-03 13:29:50 Reply

oh, I dunno. We can probably wring another hundred years out of Earth, at least. By then we should be able to sustain ourselves in space or sumtin, if we work towards it.

Yeah, the more eminent problem is another large-scale world war.

The one thing force produces is resistance.

BBS Signature
tartan-skirt
tartan-skirt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-03 14:53:06 Reply

one day the earth wont exist anymore. it might be because of the stupid stuff we've been doing to it over the last hundreds of years, or it could be because of the sun. the sun is a star, and like any other star, it will someday burn out, and with its size it will probably take out the earth and some of the other planets near to the sun. even if we survive the blast (probably impossible) then there will be no sun for plants to grow, no plants to recycle carbon dioxide into oxygen, and we will sufficate... most likely.

heres a link to a site that tells us other fates of the earth... http://www.space.com/scienceas...tem/death_of_earth_000224.html

JMHX
JMHX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-03 15:45:35 Reply

When the earth dies, it won't be because of a pesky strain of homo sapien. If all of the other things that have happened over the course of the planet's existance haven't killed it, I doubt we will. We're just a dot on the geological timeline.

BBS Signature
bumcheekcity
bumcheekcity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-03 17:22:06 Reply

At 11/3/03 03:45 PM, JudgeMeHarshX wrote: When the earth dies, it won't be because of a pesky strain of homo sapien. If all of the other things that have happened over the course of the planet's existance haven't killed it, I doubt we will. We're just a dot on the geological timeline.

Yer, but we're the dot that produces nuclear waste, fucks the oxone layer and generally pisses around with nature. Did T-Rex create CFC's? I dont think so!

blueloa13
blueloa13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-03 17:28:38 Reply

At 11/3/03 11:43 AM, Stuporman wrote:
At 11/3/03 09:35 AM, JudgeMeHarshX wrote: The planet can repair itself. We cannot.
Explain.

I think what he is trying to say. Is that if the world goes into an apocolyptic state, eventually the earth will regain the ozone and life and completely reset itself. I think that what he was trying to say

JMHX
JMHX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-03 18:04:02 Reply

At 11/3/03 05:22 PM, bumcheekcity wrote:
At 11/3/03 03:45 PM, JudgeMeHarshX wrote: When the earth dies, it won't be because of a pesky strain of homo sapien. If all of the other things that have happened over the course of the planet's existance haven't killed it, I doubt we will. We're just a dot on the geological timeline.
Yer, but we're the dot that produces nuclear waste, fucks the oxone layer and generally pisses around with nature. Did T-Rex create CFC's? I dont think so!

That pesky asteroid certainly screwed over the ozone, what with its massive dust clouds and all.

BBS Signature
stasmaster
stasmaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-03 20:13:10 Reply

At 11/3/03 06:53 AM, hugh_jarse wrote: We've robbed her of forestation, sustainable soil, ground water, resources, fauna, ozone etc. etc.

you mean cut down trees and destroyed perfectly good soild that would be very usefull for farming? yes we did.

We've polluted the air, soil and the water. We've polluted each other.

Yes, not us specifically - from what i understand - but the approach we have held for manufacturing for far too long. only in the lase few years have we even remotely become concerned with the effects our businesses have had on nature. It may not be all that cheap but yes, we do have to make sacrifices to our "profits" in order to survive.

Recycling has been established far too long from any position to do any good.

Sorry, but that makes no sense.

:We've exhausted our food supplies and oxygen.

Not quite yet. If we had, we would be dead by now. there's just massive pollution in some areas and an extremely unbalanced distribution of the world's food resources. In spite of what you may think, we - as a planet - currently grow enough food to feed the population of the earth. It's just that countries that grow the food do not distribute it among every peson in the planet (uneconomical). Also, if underdeveloped countries actually had the capital to develop the farmland that they have and implement modern farming techniques (so as not to loose any farmable land to desertification) the wourld could comfortably house a much larger number of people (20 billion i think).

:Forgotten about the populations living outside of our lands, that suffer daily.

on a global scale you can't do that, outside our lands means outside the earth on that scale ( i assume that's the scale youre talking about )

Unless something happens, now.

I dont think we'll live out the end of this century..

i think this century we will be fine, it's century after next that we would not survive (at this rate)

Dig-the-Man
Dig-the-Man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-03 20:56:16 Reply

Everyone is assuming that we will still be on planet Earth in the next century. Realize that a mission to Mars will only take three years, and in that time we may make a new home among the stars. Also, with the advanced rate of technology, it might not be long before we discover how to fully turn around the harmful effects of fossil fuel usage, or how to reclaim food from waste. Everyday humans get smarter and smarter and when it comes down to it, right close to the end, we will learn.

In the mean time though, a cap on human population would be a good idea. Stop people from having kids and lower the population slowly and that will help the Earth out a lot! Who knows if it is moral though!

zombe-man
zombe-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-03 21:32:20 Reply

The human race is small stain on the history of the planet, nothing we do will fuck the planet and nothing we do will save it, oh we can make it WAY worse for ourselves but we won't destroy the planet, long after we are gone it will still be here, with life, and we may or not make a mark on the planet. probably not

MikeACEManowar
MikeACEManowar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-03 21:52:17 Reply

The answer to the fate of the world lies here: http://www.teh-elite.com/endofworld.swf
just don't watch it if you're easily offended by stupid stereo-types.

stasmaster
stasmaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-03 22:41:58 Reply

At 11/3/03 08:56 PM, Dig_the_Man wrote: In the mean time though, a cap on human population would be a good idea. Stop people from having kids and lower the population slowly and that will help the Earth out a lot! Who knows if it is moral though!

Woo! go comunist China! That's the way to go!

stasmaster
stasmaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-03 22:43:01 Reply

At 11/3/03 08:56 PM, Dig_the_Man wrote: In the mean time though, a cap on human population would be a good idea. Stop people from having kids and lower the population slowly and that will help the Earth out a lot! Who knows if it is moral though!

Woo!!! Go communist China! That's the way to go! (not)

EvilGovernmentAgents
EvilGovernmentAgents
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-03 22:46:55 Reply

Well, it all depends if humanity can exploit space first, before we run out of resources.

JMHX
JMHX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-03 23:24:40 Reply

We'll find a way to pollute Mars, too.

BBS Signature
EvilGovernmentAgents
EvilGovernmentAgents
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-04 02:30:37 Reply

At 11/3/03 11:24 PM, JudgeMeHarshX wrote: We'll find a way to pollute Mars, too.

And then all the other planets after we learn lightspeed or something. Or maybe we won't, and we all die.

Gah, need to stop reading WH40k fluff.

hugh-jarse
hugh-jarse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-04 06:36:07 Reply

What of the effects of scientists curing every little illness that humans are affected by??

Once Cancer is cured, the rise in population is going to be enormous.

EvilGovernmentAgents
EvilGovernmentAgents
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-04 07:36:21 Reply

Which leads to overstrained resources, to protesting, to rioting, and then to bloody civil war.

It'll balance itself in time.

Slightly-Crazy-Dude
Slightly-Crazy-Dude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-04 08:01:25 Reply

I agree, to put it bluntly, humanity is just a shit stain on the pants of the world. We will waste everything then gain it back through technological advances...We might think were fucked now but in ten years time who knows what the planet will be like. Shit i asked my grandmother what she thought the world would be like when she was young. No t.v. World war, no commercial aircraft and so on...Now look at us..were in fucking space and starting to think about colonisation of other planets. I do think we'll make it, but if we do go out were gonna go out not with a bang but with a whimper.

Sekky
Sekky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-04 13:45:03 Reply

At 11/3/03 09:32 PM, zombe_man wrote: The human race is small stain on the history of the planet, nothing we do will fuck the planet and nothing we do will save it, oh we can make it WAY worse for ourselves but we won't destroy the planet, long after we are gone it will still be here, with life, and we may or not make a mark on the planet. probably not

Agreed, we may exhaust our oxygen and food, but that's a very small type of resource. Many other organisms will be able to survive on alternatives to those things.

almighty225
almighty225
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-04 14:19:49 Reply

I'd agree with JudgeMeHarshX its the Platypus' time to shine. Let them have a say in the running of the planet

blueloa13
blueloa13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-04 15:47:04 Reply

Humans will have to adapt to eating playgton, but we will have to fight the whales

JoS
JoS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to How long will humans exist? 2003-11-04 15:57:15 Reply

Eventually when we run short on food there will be massive wars, riots and famine killing off a large portion of the human population. However this will only temporaily solve the problem off humans going extinct, eventually we will have made this planet such a shit hole that we wont be able to survive anymore and we will all die off. Hopefully I wont be alive when that happens, but good luck with that grandchildren.

Bellum omnium contra omnes

BBS Signature