00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Helpful Free Software

6,592 Views | 33 Replies

Helpful Free Software 2008-07-24 00:44:55

Sup Newgrounds. Exodus here.

Hate paying for programs?
Wish your computer was faster, more capable...better?

Well, I've compiled a list of helpful, safe, and effective free software ("Freeware") that I've found over my time on the internet.

To start, if you don't have Firefox, go download/install it right now. Seriously. Enough said. (Opera is fine too)

Feel free to comment on any of them, and I highly recommend you guys to add your own (Just provide a link, and short quick description.) Remember to keep it Spyware/Virus free...

...speaking about spyware and viruses:

Avast! Anti-virus is a great and very popular choice for free anti-virus software. Comes with updates, real time protection, everything you need.

AVG Free is another great option. It is just as good if not better than Avast!, but only lasts for a certain amount of time. I've purchased the full version of AVG and I am very satisfied with it.

Do you ever wonder what happens to all the temporary internet files and cookies you pick up on the 'net? Probably not. You won't have to anymore with these awesome programs:

Easy Cleaner is a nice, free program that cleans your computer of unnecessary clutter and finds registry errors (among other things).

CCleaner is very similar, with a slightly nicer/more modern interface. I keep both around, because they each find things the other doesn't.

Tired of MS Paint's outdated layout and limited features? Try Paint.NET, the constantly updated image editor which is easily superior to it's Microsoft counterpart.

If you download anti-virus software, yet still have problems with what seems like viruses? Your problem could be spyware, a similar form of malware that some perfectly good antiviruses fail to pick up.

But fear not! there are easy ways to protect yourself.

Try Spybot Search & Destroy, a free program with a great, constantly updated search (and destroy) tool.

Spybot S&D works great with Spyware Blaster, an awesome tool that provides you with Real-time protection against spyware (and other things).

For great media players, try:

VLC- a very nice video playing tool that comes with many codecs, is very small in size, and outperforms Windows Media Player. For additional codecs, try the massive and free K-Lite Codec Pack (codecs are codes that help you play some audio files that your computer is unable to play)

For listening to music, it doesn't get any better than Winamp. It comes with all the features of iTunes and more, is much smaller/easier to run, has a huge community and good support, and is much more customizable.

If you hear a song on Youtube, really like it, and want to download it, DVD Videosoft is there to help. This thing is awesome...I've gotten hundreds of songs of youtube, and it's a legal loophole in the United States (meaning it's legal for now!)

For defragmenting your hard drive and optimizing your system, there is not better than IOBit Defragger. Fragmenting your files is this automatic thing that your computer does which (I am quite sure) slows down your performance. Windows has a tool for this same purpose, but it is much slower and has almost no features. This can also work in the background, constantly keeping your disks defragmented.

If you ever wonder if your programs are out of date, but can't be bothered to check each individual program for updates, here is a quick and easy solution.
FileHippo's Update Checker checks its archives for newer version of programs that you have installed. Very quick and easy. It even finds beta versions.

Well...it's getting late. I will add more tomorrow, I promise. In the meantime, please contribute. Any kind of useful free software is appreciated! Good luck, and I hope I helped some of you.

Response to Helpful Free Software 2008-07-24 00:48:14

Thanks lil fella

<a>

Response to Helpful Free Software 2008-07-24 00:49:13

Hm, this is pretty awesome. I'll check into some of these. It'd also be cool if you'd compile a list of programs that would enhance the look of the PC, cause I just spent all day doing that for my laptop.

However, I could contribute by compiling a list myself, which I might just do, lol.

BBS Signature

Response to Helpful Free Software 2008-07-24 00:52:34

At 7/24/08 12:49 AM, MasarapProductions wrote: I'll check into some of these. It'd also be cool if you'd compile a list of programs that would enhance the look of the PC

However, I could contribute by compiling a list myself, which I might just do, lol.

Yeah, I am definitely gonna be adding those tomorrow.

If you compile a list, make sure to post is here! And please do make one, that would be awesome! :D

Response to Helpful Free Software 2008-07-24 00:59:18

Not really freeware, but helpful nonetheless.

Vista users: if you're sick of windows vista's sluggish or sub par performance, try out these tips and tweaks to help your computer run it faster:

~TechRepublic.com

~GMPerformanceTuning.com

~PCStats.com

~ZDnet.com

~Softpedia.com

Response to Helpful Free Software 2008-07-24 03:17:58

if you want photoshop but dont have the money, try Gimp its a great (and free) alteritive to PS, plus you can download other plug-ins (you can do the same thing for paint.NET) for free also.

TIP: if your having trouble copying the selected the object and making the copyed object transparent make a new layer and select the lasso selection tool and zoom into the desired depth and cut around the desired object (does not matter how much your cut is) and copy that by right clicking then selecting copy to clip board (or Ctrl+C) then go into the pen select then select "Clipboard" then past the desired object onto the desired area (MAKE SURE YOU MADE A 2nd LAYER BEFORE THIS! you can find the new layer butting by checking the drop down menu's) then select the eraser tool then erase around the desired area.

i would show an example but i need my computer reseted to factory defaults so i can have more HDD space.

A toil today is a lesson tomorrow.

BBS Signature

Response to Helpful Free Software 2008-07-24 11:05:33

Some Links for computer appearance:

ElectricSheep.com has many cool, free, and very awesome looking screensavers. Check them out, there's a page with a sample video.

For Windows Vista themes, you don't have to look any further than these sites. VistaStyles, MyVistaThemes, and Vista-Skins all offer a wide selection of nice looking themes designed specifically for windows vista.

Wallpapers are quite easy to find.
First, here is a trick to find the specific type of wallpaper you want easily. Go to this Google Search and replace the 'TypeYourQueryHere' with the type of wallpaper you want (anime, sunset, lake, etc.) You should find something you like.

If not, everybody likes a fantasy wallpaper. Take a look at these sites:

*Wallpapers.org
*BeautifulWallpapers.com
*Fantasy Art Design

And see if you can find something that interests you.

This page and this site hold some especially awesome gems.

For those of you new or interested in audio producing, you should probably go look at the Audio forum first. But for a simple, powerful and user-friendly Digital Audio Workstation, nothing beats FL Studio. Try the free demo today!

If you feel the percussion in FL Studio is limited, I would highly recommend the free Hydrogen Drum Machine. Very good quality, powerful tool.

Also try some free samples for Vip-zone, their sounds are excellent! You can get a wide selection of professional samples for free download!

Response to Helpful Free Software 2008-07-24 11:15:53

...its called limewire.

its funny cuz u have to pay for limewire pro. but somebody put limewire pro and a downloadable version of limewire

haha

Pizza4ever

BBS Signature

Response to Helpful Free Software 2008-07-24 11:17:58

MOAR features!

Response to Helpful Free Software 2008-08-02 03:17:05

This post will actually appear at the bottom of this page.

BBS Signature

Response to Helpful Free Software 2008-08-02 03:18:11

You Forgot BitTorrent...

Response to Helpful Free Software 2008-08-02 03:19:10

At 8/2/08 03:18 AM, Hellian00 wrote: You Forgot BitTorrent...

Ssshhh, that's Piracy! Shit, here comes a mod.

This post will actually appear at the bottom of this page.

BBS Signature

Response to Helpful Free Software 2008-08-02 03:19:59

You're missing quite alot of programs, like Audio manipulation programs (i.e Audacity)

WritingPad. |

BBS Signature

Response to Helpful Free Software 2008-08-02 03:20:53

At 8/2/08 03:19 AM, Grammar-Nazi wrote:

Oh well. I don't care. Unlike most people here, I happen to have a life.

Response to Helpful Free Software 2008-08-02 03:43:28

At 8/2/08 03:19 AM, Grammar-Nazi wrote:

It's not illegal to use torrents.

I'm your average Afro-American fetus. For example: I enjoy basketball, I'm rather good when I play too, but I'm much too busy scratching my horrific cracked skin these days.

BBS Signature

Response to Helpful Free Software 2008-08-02 03:46:00

I've used 90% of these programs and I can say that they are safe. Nice list there buddy, it's all great software. I'm running Opera right now.

Response to Helpful Free Software 2008-08-02 03:57:22

Ever wanted to make your songs with Fruity Loops, but could never pay for the price/torrent it?

Here is a good alternative to the program, ModPlug.

BBS Signature

Response to Helpful Free Software 2008-08-11 23:15:20

Haha, thanks. I didn't think this topic would go anywhere, honestly.

That's true that I did forget WinRAR.

However, apparently when your trial version runs out the program becomes illegal or something (but still works). Not really sure of the details.

However, to avoid any sticky situations (lol), I use 7-Zip, which is basically the same thing (if not better) but is also 100% free/legal and open source.

Torrenting is not illegal, as long as you don't download copyrighted stuff (like movies). For torrenting, I use uTorrent. It uses virtually no CPU and has a great speed guide, for quite efficient downloads. BitTracker is good too, like the other guy mentioned.

The guy above me mentioned ModPlug. I wouldn't consider it an alternative to FL (it's not a complete DAW). However, it's an excellent program for producing 8-bit chiptune style songs. My friend uses it and it is truly brilliant.

For a legal and free equivalent to Microsoft Word, try Open Office. It's great, and open source.

Response to Helpful Free Software 2009-02-01 11:07:06

I had every single one on that list.

Response to Helpful Free Software 2009-02-01 11:11:39

At 7/24/08 12:44 AM, x-Exodus-X wrote:

CCleaner

WTF? There's a Clock Crew cleaner?

http://masterhand.blip.tv/

Check out my friend's videos above, game reviews and more.

Response to Helpful Free Software 2009-03-15 09:04:13

Linux MultiMedia Studio - Cross platform alternative for FL Studio
Inkscape - Vector graphics program
Google Chrome - Web browser, best I've seen in ages, loads up instantly
Nexuiz - Cute open-source FPS, resembles quake
Wormux - Worms copy
The babylon project - Another nice game
Blender - 3D modeling software, it has a wiki book somewhere
TrueSpace 3D - 3D modeling software, nice uv map algorithm
Scumm Virtual Machine - For those of you who would really like to play day of the tentacle again
Daemon Tools - Nice pogram that lets you mount iso files as if they were already burned on the cd
FlashDevelop - Easy to use tool for Flex programming
Sfxr - A nice tool to make 8-bit like sound effects for games
NVU - A nice tool for website development
Comodo - Free firewall
Octave - Free CLI for MatLab language
Notepad++ - Notepad with a lot of cool plugins and features
Eclipse - Free tool for java developers

That's all i think.

Response to Helpful Free Software 2009-03-15 09:08:24

I see no RealPlayer!

Response to Helpful Free Software 2009-03-15 09:16:33

At 8/2/08 03:19 AM, WritingPad wrote: You're missing quite alot of programs, like Audio manipulation programs (i.e Audacity)

Thanks for that, I was looking for something for audio manipulation.

Response to Helpful Free Software 2009-03-15 09:22:16

At 3/15/09 09:08 AM, 1Tyla1 wrote: I see no RealPlayer!

Yea RealPlayer 11 is pretty cool because it lets you download any video on the web.

Also, Picasa 3 is a very good photo manager. It's very easy to use and host your photos on the web also.

Response to Helpful Free Software 2009-03-15 09:29:36

At 3/15/09 09:22 AM, Aryk wrote:
At 3/15/09 09:08 AM, 1Tyla1 wrote: I see no RealPlayer!
Yea RealPlayer 11 is pretty cool because it lets you download any video on the web.

That's partially the reason - with stuff like YouTube you can just download and play as is (you can also download things with a lot of episodes quite fast), but YouTube Downloader is good for the music videos too I guess. It can play a wide field of formats and for the most of the program it's free.

Response to Helpful Free Software 2009-03-15 10:15:03

At 8/11/08 11:15 PM, x-Exodus-X wrote: However, to avoid any sticky situations (lol), I use 7-Zip, which is basically the same thing (if not better) but is also 100% free/legal and open source.

Thanks a lot for this one, you just made my day.

Response to Helpful Free Software 2009-03-15 10:15:32

Wow, this is great, thanks man. And for another god browser, I'm using Chrome and it's really quite nice.

Response to Helpful Free Software 2009-03-15 10:19:47

I think I may just add this little gem; Behold! The Almighty when it comes to freeware downloads!

http://www.click-now.net/

Honestly, if you have a programme in mind that you think may be useful, chance are its on there.

BBS Signature

Response to Helpful Free Software 2009-03-15 10:20:29

Azureus, or Vuze is the best torrent you can have. It searches, and finds the torrent with seeds and ranks them to user and developer ratings.

BBS Signature

Response to Helpful Free Software 2009-03-15 10:23:28

Anamnensis, A double edged sword. // Live a day like a mayfly. // Never compromise, never surrender.

BBS Signature