00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zombiehit just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20

12,700 Views | 92 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:04:54

Today's $100 winner is TheMentalInstitute! We're giving away $100 per day from now until I leave for Comic-Con on July 20th. To participate in the raffle, all you need to do is vote on five submissions while logged in. Every day I run a raffle script based on activity from the previous day, and a winner is declared!

Tomorrow is the one year anniversary since the redesign launch! Almost one year ago, we launched a new version of NG with 100% compliant html and a dramatically overhauled back-end. Every single page underwent a dramatic visual overhaul and we introduced some really pretty audio visualizations for the Audio Portal. It might not sound like a lot in retrospect, but it represented two years of hard work by the team and a lot of stress.

So what has happened in the year since? That's what this post is all about!

We announced winners for the Rock Out contest, showed off the redesign at Comic-Con, celebrated Clock Day, had a Castle Crashers music contest (many of the winners are in the final game), unveiled a spiffy reskin for Madness Day, enjoyed our second annual Treasure Hunt, did some pumpkin carving, made some spooky Flash for a Halloween competition, got charitable, unveiled the Penicorn plush and Tankman figure, gave away a bunch of Wacoms, won XBLA game of the year on Kotaku with Alien Hominid HD, painted some Munnys, celebrated Pico Day, represented at Big Apple Con in NYC and announced the winners of our first annual awards, featuring tank trophies that I still need to send out (OMG I'M SO SORRY).

But that was all on the front! In the back, a lot of things have happened, both good and bad.

Despite the redesign launch and a great turnout of NG folks at Comic-Con, Castle Crashers was still far from being finished and required an endless amount of programming. With the redesign out of the way, it was time to go into crunch mode. Multiplayer vs arenas were in place a month later for PAX, but a lot more levels needed to be built to fill out the overly-ambitious world map we laid out. Things were moving along when some bad news arrived...

Over the past year I had registered a sales tax ID for Newgrounds, so that we could launch the NG store and pay PA sales tax. I began to file our quarterly sales tax payments, usually in the $5-20 range. We only have to pay 6% on goods sold to PA residents, so it doesn't add up to much.

In October, I received a disturbing letter that we would be undergoing a PA sales tax audit. We were apparently flagged because we have reported income year after year, but never paid any state sales tax until recently. I called the auditor to schedule and discuss the audit, at which point I explained how our revenue is traditionally from advertising sales and only a small amount comes from the store. The auditor's response was, "Well surely you've purchased items you owe PA sales tax on."

The cold reality set in. We weren't even aware that for every on-line purchase we made, we were required to voluntarily file a "use tax" of 6%, because we use that item in PA. This is actually a requirement of every individual who buys stuff, but the government only goes after businesses because businesses keep records of their purchases and most individuals don't.

The audit was scheduled to run from December 17th to the 24th - that's right, Christmas Eve! What better way to ruin the holidays? To prepare for the audit, I had to gather up the following documents:

1) Receipts and invoices for every dollar we spent from 2004-2007, to prove we didn't owe sales tax.
2) Records of all income generated from 2004-2007, to prove it was from advertising and not from goods sold.
3) Payroll records from 2004-2007, to show everyone was paying proper local taxes.

I'm not much of a bookkeeper, but I'm good at holding on to stuff, so over the course of November through December, I was able to gather and organize just about everything from the past four years and get it off to the accountant. This whole experience was completely soul crushing; having to put together a defense for the past four years of NG, to be scrutinized by someone who wants to get their hands on as much money as possible.

The audit started on schedule and the auditor was quick to note that for every item not documented, we WOULD be charged 6%. If we had a credit card statement showing something was purchased at a location in PA, but didn't have a receipt, it didn't matter because credit card statements were inadmissible (I heard they recently started accepting credit card records).

The one thing I kept telling myself was that at least the audit would be over by Christmas. That's not how it works, though. That was just the last day the auditor spent going through the books. The next step was to wait for the report on what we owe, which was scheduled to arrive on New Years Eve - another holiday ruined. Final list in hand, I had one month to gather up any remaining invoices and receipts, to cancel out any items we could prove were bought in PA.

A lot of the small stuff wasn't even worth digging up, but I managed to get invoices together for other big ticket items that were bought in PA. We DID owe some valid taxes, but the drain on time and accounting expenses was the real burn.

Despite all this, we still managed to finish Castle Crashers! It didn't make it in time for Comic-Con, but we came close enough and I'm just happy to be done. Kotaku has posted some pics from E3.

Although much of my time has been spent programming Castle Crashers, Liljim, PsychoGoldfish, Bob, Tim and Rob (and before him, Ross) have been diligently working on big things for NG. This year has been about INFRASTRUCTURE, which I'll explain TOMORROW.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:08:13

Congratz to the winner! Can't wait till Castle Crashers comes out ^.^

well, like, you couldn't, like, find it because, like, you're dumb, god

Follow me on twitter :3

BBS Signature

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:08:46

Gratz to the winner, anniversary will be fun.

JaY11's sigs are awesome.

Epic thread.

FullArsenal, not BenjaminBigelow!

BBS Signature

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:13:51

Ooo big post, congratulations to the winner, and I can't wait till Castle Crashers comes out. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:14:06

Congrats to the winner! :)
Also: CASTLE CRASHERS! :DD

xx Martin xx

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:15:59

At 7/15/08 11:04 AM, TomFulp wrote: We announced winners for the Rock Out contest, showed off the redesign at Comic-Con, celebrated Clock Day, had a Castle Crashers music contest (many of the winners are in the final game), unveiled a spiffy reskin for Madness Day, enjoyed our second annual Treasure Hunt, did some pumpkin carving, made some spooky Flash for a Halloween competition, got charitable, unveiled the Penicorn plush and Tankman figure, gave away a bunch of Wacoms, won XBLA game of the year on Kotaku with Alien Hominid HD, painted some Munnys, celebrated Pico Day, represented at Big Apple Con in NYC and announced the winners of our first annual awards, featuring tank trophies that I still need to send out.

That looked like something taken straight off a blog, almost half of the text mass is hyperlinks. It burns my eyes. Why did you have to do it, why? :'c

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:16:15

At 7/15/08 11:10 AM, Gi-go wrote: Wow, I feel like the redesign is still brand new.

After this all, yeah.
THere is some dust though >.>

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:17:41

At 7/15/08 11:04 AM, TomFulp wrote: We announced winners for the Rock Out contest, showed off the redesign at Comic-Con, celebrated Clock Day, had a Castle Crashers music contest (many of the winners are in the final game), unveiled a spiffy reskin for Madness Day, enjoyed our second annual Treasure Hunt, did some pumpkin carving, made some spooky Flash for a Halloween competition, got charitable, unveiled the Penicorn plush and Tankman figure, gave away a bunch of Wacoms, won XBLA game of the year on Kotaku with Alien Hominid HD, painted some Munnys, celebrated Pico Day, represented at Big Apple Con in NYC and announced the winners of our first annual awards, featuring tank trophies that I still need to send out (OMG I'M SO SORRY).

God, when you say it seems that so much more has gone on than that over the past year, and in retrospection all the years use to be longer when they JUST KEEP GETTING SHORTER! I think I'm getting old, Tom. =(

Nice post, and congratulations to all the winners past, present, and future.

Fudge dapping.

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:19:21

Congratulations!

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:19:44

Woah, those screenshots of castle crashers bring up alot of questions.... including WHY IS THERE SHODDY ARTWORK OF A CARROTCLOCK AND TRICKY THE CLOWN?! =(

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:20:54

At 7/15/08 11:17 AM, UnfathomableSin wrote: God, when you say it seems that so much more has gone on than that over the past year, and in retrospection all the years use to be longer when they JUST KEEP GETTING SHORTER! I think I'm getting old, Tom. =(

Yeah, it's scary how fast the years are going by... And a reminder that you can't sit still for too long.

BBS Signature

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:22:53

I am confused, why did you have to pay taxes on items purchased? Wouldn't that sales tax be paid when you purchased the item to the vendor you purchased from?

BBS Signature

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:24:53

A year?! My god, this place is moving too fast for me.

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:25:17

Yeesh, how time flies. It seems like just yesterday I arrived at work and tried to get on NG, and saw those mischievous tankmen upgradin' mah tankz (little did I know this would not be the last time I'd see them ;P)

It's been a great year, many contests, flash movies, and other exciting events. Will 2008 be able to top? ;D

Sucky that CC couldn't be finished in time for comic-con... you should be able to spark some interest into some random comic book lovers... hopefully ;) Hurry up and get those trophies finished and sent, heh.

Taxes are shit, I found out that I was hired as a contractor at my job and had a surprise $1,700 tax bill dumped on my lap one day... I know it's not exactly the same, but that was my first true tax experience, and I have to say it was not fun :( Goodluck with all the legal mumbo jumbo.. hopefully someone at the office is good with that sort of thing. Hey Mike's good at numbers... *glares*

DUDE. CARROT CLOCK AND TRICKY ARE IN THAT SCREENSHOT. Wow, I think I just crapped my pants... that's awesome! I remember fighting off some of the little AH's, but glad to see even MORE cameos... oh man :3 Good to know it's... officially? finished now. Looking forward to seeing the future of NG in tomorrow's news post! And of course, enjoy your money TheMentalInstitute ;D

⌬ blobstagram ⌬ blobsite ⌬

BBS Signature

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:25:22

At 7/15/08 11:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: Yeah, it's scary how fast the years are going by... And a reminder that you can't sit still for too long.

Yeah, I understand what you mean, but man I don't even want to know how fast the years go by for you. I mean, they go by fast for me, and since you are nearly two times older than me the years just might feel like weeks at your point.

Fudge dapping.

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:26:22

At 7/15/08 11:22 AM, greenkube wrote: I am confused, why did you have to pay taxes on items purchased? Wouldn't that sales tax be paid when you purchased the item to the vendor you purchased from?

If you buy something on-line from an out-of-state vendor, if they don't have a phsyical location in your state, they don't have to charge sales tax for your state. It's your responsibility to voluntarily file the tax for the item you bought.

BBS Signature

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:27:31

Sweet congrats to another known regular!

I am gay for three men. Three Sexy, Handsome, Boneriffic young men.

BBS Signature

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:28:28

awesome news and good job Tom...
but why are you doing all this?(can't you just finish it like thet...or quit???)

BBS Signature

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:28:53

Grats to the winner.

BBS Signature

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:29:17

At 7/15/08 11:25 AM, BlueHippo wrote: Taxes are shit, I found out that I was hired as a contractor at my job and had a surprise $1,700 tax bill dumped on my lap one day... I know it's not exactly the same, but that was my first true tax experience, and I have to say it was not fun :( Goodluck with all the legal mumbo jumbo.. hopefully someone at the office is good with that sort of thing. Hey Mike's good at numbers... *glares*

Yeah, the crappy part about being a contractor is you have to pay 15% into Social Security. Most people don't realize their employers pay 7.5% and only the remaining 7.5% is taken out of their salary, so if your pre-tax salary is $50,000 per year, your employer is really shelling out $53,750... And don't even get me started on how much health insurance skyrocketed this year. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:31:33

That really sucks, how do they justify doing something like that during the holiday season?!

Good thing CC was finished though. :)

<33

BBS Signature

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:34:14

Woah Tom these posts are getting too long and well done to the winner.

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:37:29

As always, congrats to the winner.
I'm sure you're glad to have Castle Crashers done finally, huh?

I'd love to hear from you. :3 | E-Mail: evansweeney@gmx.com | AIM: EvantheDeku | Oh dear, Dekuboy is back..

BBS Signature

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:37:36

Who deals with the economical issues anyway? Is it all you, or shared between you and Bob since he's dealing with the store? That have to be a downside of having a company of your own if you have to deal with those things... unless you actually enjoy economics and all that jazz.

I can hardly keep my own personal economy in order, which is why i've worked and saved up alot of money from the past for future unexpected expences. :)

Wakka wakka

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:37:51

At 7/15/08 11:26 AM, TomFulp wrote: If you buy something on-line from an out-of-state vendor, if they don't have a phsyical location in your state, they don't have to charge sales tax for your state. It's your responsibility to voluntarily file the tax for the item you bought.

Wow another way for uncle sam to suck you dry. Wahoo for taxes.

BBS Signature

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:39:39

Congrats winner.

And it's been a year?! :O

(not that I was here then or anything :3)

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:42:48

So did you end up spending a lot because of the the audit? or did you manage to not do so bad after finding all the receipts and records?

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:48:42

How much did you have to pay as a result of the Audit in the end, Tom?

ccc

BBS Signature

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:49:35

A lot has been going on, cingrats to the winner.

aquaticmole.

BBS Signature

Response to Retrospective and $100. 16 of 20 2008-07-15 11:50:38

At 7/15/08 11:04 AM, TomFulp wrote: Today's $100 winner is TheMentalInstitute! We're giving away $100 per day from now until I leave for Comic-Con on July 20th. To participate in the raffle, all you need to do is vote on five submissions while logged in. Every day I run a raffle script based on activity from the previous day, and a winner is declared!

Congratulations TheMentalInstitute! I only have a few more chances to win though. Here's to hopeful thinking.

Tomorrow is the one year anniversary since the redesign launch! Almost one year ago, we launched a new version of NG with 100% compliant html and a dramatically overhauled back-end. Every single page underwent a dramatic visual overhaul and we introduced some really pretty audio visualizations for the Audio Portal. It might not sound like a lot in retrospect, but it represented two years of hard work by the team and a lot of stress.

I wish I was around for the redesign, but I didn't start coming back to newgrounds until after it happened. The last time I was on before the redesign was in 2004 and you could still change your name and the profiles weren't anything too great.

So what has happened in the year since? That's what this post is all about!

We announced winners for the Rock Out contest, showed off the redesign at Comic-Con, celebrated Clock Day, had a Castle Crashers music contest (many of the winners are in the final game), unveiled a spiffy reskin for Madness Day, enjoyed our second annual Treasure Hunt, did some pumpkin carving, made some spooky Flash for a Halloween competition, got charitable, unveiled the Penicorn plush and Tankman figure, gave away a bunch of Wacoms, won XBLA game of the year on Kotaku with Alien Hominid HD, painted some Munnys, celebrated Pico Day, represented at Big Apple Con in NYC and announced the winners of our first annual awards, featuring tank trophies that I still need to send out (OMG I'M SO SORRY).

I see why you guys are so busy. Doesn't look like your ever going to get a break. Keep up the good work though because we really do appreciate it.

Despite all this, we still managed to finish Castle Crashers! It didn't make it in time for Comic-Con, but we came close enough and I'm just happy to be done. Kotaku has posted some pics from E3.

There are always things that go wrong with the good isn't there?

Although much of my time has been spent programming Castle Crashers, Liljim, PsychoGoldfish, Bob, Tim and Rob (and before him, Ross) have been diligently working on big things for NG. This year has been about INFRASTRUCTURE, which I'll explain TOMORROW.

Can't wait for the news post tomorrow for both the winner and more news from you.