Respond to this Topic
RPGamer
RPGamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 04:21 PM Reply

The friends IDEA WOULD BE AWESOME, really been looking forward to see that, do it Tom :D

SUP

BBS Signature
Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 04:21 PM Reply

The friends system doesn't sound like such a bad idea. As long as people don't get too into it.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

maxvm
maxvm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Filmmaker
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 04:29 PM Reply

At 7/14/08 03:24 PM, TomFulp wrote: Does the idea disgust you, or do you agree that at the end of the day, it would be a welcome feature?

Newgrounds is already a place for blogs, so I support the idea. As long as you are my friend.

Visiting Newgrounds Since 2003

BBS Signature
Unknown-Inc
Unknown-Inc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate

At 7/14/08 04:20 PM, spite-skater wrote: No, I don't like the friends list idea. Seems like a lame popularity thing to me. I already have AIM and MSN to see whose online, I don't need a list on my UserPage "showing off" who I'm friends with. Plus I can already see users trying to be friends with NG users they don't know, ultimately making these "friends" relationships fake and useless.

Not to mention the users who will try to be friends with the ENTIRE NG community. Which will get really annoying fast.

Think of something else to put in there. Like a "Recent Page Viewers" list or something. That would be cool. Kinda lets you know people are checking your stuff out.

I agree almost entirely with this. Perhaps a way to stop the popularity contest is to have five or so 'main friends' that you show on your profile and the rest 'private friends' are ones that only you can see. That way it isn't as much of a contest and you can keep in touch with all the people you meet on Newgrounds. A recent page viewers list would be handy just to see who's interested in your work (know your market). You could also put in an 'ignore list' along with the friends list so you can just 'block' who you don't like or, like spite wrote, those users trying to add everyone to their list.

Stick, basic mannequin, add details, proper shape and form, features, erase basic lines, clothing, retrace.

q13qew
q13qew
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate

Could u cha with your freinds anyways awesome.

Chippythechipmonk
Chippythechipmonk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 04:30 PM Reply

That's awesome.

Me and my dad do the MS 150 every September when it comes to Missouri.

The friends idea is good, but I think there should be a limit to friends so that friends doesn't just become a new stat. People will just say 'LOL I have mor frends den u!!!' if not. So apply it, but cap it.

BBS Signature
NeonFlame126
NeonFlame126
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 04:31 PM Reply

It's about time Corky52 got into a newspost, he's prolly the best user on the friggen site. I think the firends list is a bad indea, that's what BOOKMARKING and CONTACTS are for. I say Nay.

You can't spell FÜHRER without Ü
"You know you fail in life when you fail to end your failure"

pezzo
pezzo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 04:31 PM Reply

I think that's a great idea. :)

BBS Signature
TheCriminalDuder
TheCriminalDuder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Animator
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 04:33 PM Reply

I would very much enjoy a friends list. :3
I can't see any negative from it. More links/exposer for poeple. You could help your friends out.
It all sounds good in my book. I look forward to it. ^^

www.DuderEntertainment.com/ | Makin' Laughs and Kickin' Ass! >:3

BBS Signature
Sir-Nuts
Sir-Nuts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 04:34 PM Reply

At 7/14/08 03:24 PM, TomFulp wrote: Today's $100 winner is Mr-Furball!

Congratulations, Mr-Ball-of-fur!

Daniel and John from Armor Games will be riding 150 miles on their bikes to raise money and awareness for multiple sclerosis, as part of the Bike MS event in Southern California.

That's one crazy thing. 250 km... It's one lap around my state! =0

But it's for a good reason, so it's worth it. Although I still can't imagine how long would it take for me to do so.

Corky52...

Why so many people suck his co(r)ck? =P

JK. What an honourable mention for you, Corky! You must be... something more than happy now, eh?

Speaking of friends, for a long time now we've had a completed front-end of a FRIENDS system for NG. It's been sitting on the backburner, awaiting prioritization for the more complicated back-end code. I've always had my fears that people would see it as a step towards NG becoming a bunch of MySpace vomit, but overall we all like the idea of being able to link up to eachother. Right now a user page can become a bit of a dead-end, but with a friends list, there could be more paths to branch off into. What does everyone else think? Does the idea disgust you, or do you agree that at the end of the day, it would be a welcome feature?

Not a bad idea, in my opinion. It will be visible to other users right?

As for Newgrounds becoming a MySpace vomit... well, I don't care. As long as everyone else approves it, then it's fine. I vote in favour of it.

At the moment I keep my friends list in my contact list. It's one of the alternatives that I found for it. I could have done one of those blogs with my friends and such, but I really don't want comments like "hai can i be friendz plox???" and similar. They pretty much suck.

HandsomeJake
HandsomeJake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 04:36 PM Reply

I'm pretty sure it's impossible for NG to be like myspace. Without general comments or crazy customization features (which prevent fucked up user pages), the NG user pages will be unique and interesting.

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 04:40 PM Reply

Friends list is a good way to track people who don't really submit,
since you cant favorite a member with no submissions

Listen2Reason
Listen2Reason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Programmer
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 04:41 PM Reply

Why is MySpace bad? I'm not saying it's good or bad, I'm just saying, let's step back and think about this for a moment. Why do you think it's bad?

Is it because of the lame people who use it? Well, it's hard to keep lamers out of anywhere, really. I'm sure Newgrounds has had to deal with its share, and that's not going to change anytime soon, eh?

Is it because of the horrible HTML pages that people put up? Well, now you've got the opportunity to make a GOOD version!

Is it because MySpace is successful and so many people use it? Well, I can't help you there. :P

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker

At 7/14/08 04:34 PM, Sir-Nuts wrote:
Corky52...
Why so many people suck his co(r)ck? =P

What are you doing later? ;)

JK. What an honourable mention for you, Corky! You must be... something more than happy now, eh?

Yeah, that was awesome. I had was def. surprised. I actually searched my name and thought that I had won the 100 dollars at first, but getting mentioned like that is just as good.

At 7/14/08 04:31 PM, NeonFlame126 wrote:
It's about time Corky52 got into a newspost, he's prolly the best user on the friggen site. I think the firends list is a bad indea, that's what BOOKMARKING and CONTACTS are for. I say Nay.

I doubt that I am the the best user on the entire site! But thank you for your kind words anyway.

BBS Signature
fede1920
fede1920
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Animator

Top Friends ?? Mmm sounds too much like MySpace ... but it would be a good way to link your page to your friend's pages ... so yeah i liked it :P

Korgha
Korgha
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate

I think the friends thing isn't a bad idea

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 04:42 PM Reply

At 7/14/08 03:55 PM, JimmyDallas wrote: I have a legit question about the favorites (authors).
Is there like a chance that you can get like an update on when your favorite author(s) upload a new flash or collab movie? Something via PM or email.

That has always been the plan since day one, but it's another feature on the never-ending list of features right now.

Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 04:46 PM Reply

I think the friend thing would be cool if it told you if they were online or not and it would give you a quick PM option, rather than just have friends for the hell of it. And that it would send updates of your flash or music you posted to your friends.

PiGPEN
PiGPEN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Animator
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 04:46 PM Reply

At 7/14/08 04:42 PM, TomFulp wrote: That has always been the plan since day one, but it's another feature on the never-ending list of features right now.

It's a feature that should be far above Myspace Cloning.

BBS Signature
Ghyfty
Ghyfty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 04:48 PM Reply

Hey Tom, what do you mean by "activity" we do anyday?

Pm me about anything, you cumdumpster.
Yes, I know I'm going to hell.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 04:49 PM Reply

At 7/14/08 04:07 PM, Bahamut wrote: I wouldn't mind the Friends idea at all. Sure, it may seem MySpace-ish, but lots of other places have these Friends things as well. If there was something like that on NG, I wouldn't mind it at all. Infact, if it meant to receive notifications on when someone who's friends with you makes a news post, that would be great! I mean, I'm always having to check the Blogs page to see if anyone I know has made any news posts recently. I know I'm just wishing this, but if this happened, I'd be made up.

We actually do have a ton of ideas for how friends could integrate throughout the site. For example, if you are viewing REVIEWS BY TOM, then maybe down the left column you can see summaries of the latest reviews by TOM's friends. Stuff like that.

SWiTCH
SWiTCH
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 04:53 PM Reply

At 7/14/08 04:42 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 7/14/08 03:55 PM, JimmyDallas wrote: I have a legit question about the favorites (authors).
Is there like a chance that you can get like an update on when your favorite author(s) upload a new flash or collab movie? Something via PM or email.
That has always been the plan since day one, but it's another feature on the never-ending list of features right now.

I'm confused, because I already get e-mails when my favorite authors upload something.

Zombie-Pimp
Zombie-Pimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 04:53 PM Reply

I think the friend box would be a good idea, any newgrounders who would use the feature to be a bunch of cliquey myspace fags are already acting like cliquey myspace fags without the feature anyways.

Lalo
Lalo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 04:54 PM Reply

At 7/14/08 03:24 PM, TomFulp wrote: Speaking of friends, for a long time now we've had a completed front-end of a FRIENDS system for NG. It's been sitting on the backburner, awaiting prioritization for the more complicated back-end code. I've always had my fears that people would see it as a step towards NG becoming a bunch of MySpace vomit, but overall we all like the idea of being able to link up to eachother. Right now a user page can become a bit of a dead-end, but with a friends list, there could be more paths to branch off into. What does everyone else think? Does the idea disgust you, or do you agree that at the end of the day, it would be a welcome feature?

YESYEYSYEYSYEYSYEYSYS I LOVE THE IDEA!!! not the myspace vomit thing, the friends list... im sure its all very well tought, kinda like the portal buddies thing and the PM contacts... hey is this going to integrate both into a single list or something?

mrnihil
mrnihil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Artist
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 04:56 PM Reply

At 7/14/08 04:53 PM, SWiTCH wrote: I'm confused, because I already get e-mails when my favorite authors upload something.

me too.

Jedermann sein eigner truthahn abendessen.

The-DeadDuck
The-DeadDuck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 04:56 PM Reply

WHY NO1 ADDED ME YET >:(

add me plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'll add U back !!

File size is limited to 40k.

BBS Signature
Coaly
Coaly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 04:59 PM Reply

The friends addition sounds like an awesome idea. Updates on new submissions and news posts from friends would be really cool to have, since you can't always be watching. I say dooo it.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 04:59 PM Reply

At 7/14/08 04:53 PM, SWiTCH wrote: I'm confused, because I already get e-mails when my favorite authors upload something.

Some of the other features we had in mind were:
1) Allow Authors to PM-blast users who have them favorited.
2) Notify users of blog posts by their favorite authors.
3) PM notification instead of (or in addition) to email notifcations of new submissions.

I kinda want to minimize email notifications because we never want people to feel like they are getting spammed, whereas with PMs you can pretty much go nuts. However, people might not want all three of the items above, so we would also need to consider a management system, either as a global setting for your favorites, or on a per-author basis.

Ansel
Ansel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 05:01 PM Reply

I think the whole friends system is unnecessary and useless. You can add someone to your favorite artists list if you like their work. You can talk to them through various channels of communication if you want. I'm going to skip over the rest of my hyperbolic, drawn-out post and ask "what practical purpose would the friends system serve?"

BBS Signature
Scribbler
Scribbler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 Jul. 14th, 2008 @ 05:01 PM Reply

Friendship idea is okay in my book.