• 66 Replies
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 11:57 AM

however, I dont really see a point anymore. I am officially retiring from music making. Maybe now and then i might come out of retirement to make something - but it definitely isn't on the top of my priority list anymore.

I see everyones songs go down every day and I wonder "whats the point of the charts? They no longer reflect what is GOOD - only what is WHORED."

and I have so many songs - that even if i do get a good score day - they only seem to end up clogging the charts and then down they go again.

Oh and any new songs? Zeroed automatically.

So enjoy the songs I've submitted - it's been fun. I'll still stick around for the community - buuut that's pretty much it.

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
LJCoffee
LJCoffee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 12:04 PM

At 7/13/08 11:57 AM, Chronamut wrote: So enjoy the songs I've submitted - it's been fun. I'll still stick around for the community - buuut that's pretty much it.

Well, at least you'll stick around for the endless entertainment value...

Oh well Chron. I hear you though - maybe it's time...

BBS Signature
xKore
xKore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 12:04 PM

NO WAI

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 12:09 PM

At 7/13/08 12:04 PM, LJCoffee wrote:
At 7/13/08 11:57 AM, Chronamut wrote: So enjoy the songs I've submitted - it's been fun. I'll still stick around for the community - buuut that's pretty much it.
Well, at least you'll stick around for the endless entertainment value...

Oh well Chron. I hear you though - maybe it's time...

ya a lot of people are starting to feel it - I'm not the only one believe me. I think it IS time. Besides, now I can focus on other things, like flash, and actual art. And a life.

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!

BBS Signature
Hades
Hades
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 12:10 PM

Oh, come on now! Why being so negative all of a sudden?! You really shouldn't just quit making music, your stuff is really good, and you make the best VG remixes on the entire portal! True, the portal does have it's flaws, but there's more to it than just the charts, even if they did become a whorehouse! It's about creating, getting other peoples opinions and improving your work.

We all have the same problems, but that doesn't mean we should all quit! Think about the good sides, the positive reviews you've received (as I'm told, once you got 100 reviews on a single song, that's really not bad!), the music you made and the fun you had making it,...

I really have no right to tell you what to do, but PLEASE, man: just think about it a bit more, maybe you'll reconsider.

BBS Signature
Dreamscaper
Dreamscaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 12:26 PM

Hey buddy! Thanks for the friendship on here. I actually finally got Wade to delete all of my tracks since not only was I being accused of stealing my own work but people were stealing my stuff too. I only submitted a few pieces that weren't mine because I found quite a few of my tracks on i-tunes and other various sites that sell music without my consent. This was the only best way for these thieves to get caught. The only way I knew for anyone to access and save my work was on here in the Audio Portal.

Anyways, I will catch you online now and then, and I hope you can at least feel the freedom of relaxing instead of feeling like you have to be rushed into creating so much music. Love ya man, and I hope to hear from you soon!

~Byron

BBS Signature
KgZ
KgZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 12:51 PM

I think it's pretty funny that people get so worked up over numbers on a website.

Dude, if you want to write music, that's great- if you don't, that's fine too. But don't be a bitch about it because of some fucking scores.

www.macjams.com/artist/kgz (Download links)

Fuoco
Fuoco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 01:00 PM

At 7/13/08 12:51 PM, KgZ wrote: I think it's pretty funny that people get so worked up over numbers on a website.

Dude, if you want to write music, that's great- if you don't, that's fine too. But don't be a bitch about it because of some fucking scores.

Quoted for truth.

Sakura's theme | Bunnykill 5
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

BBS Signature
Spikrodd
Spikrodd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 01:03 PM

Well... by gones be by gones... we will always remember you... :C
see you on MSN buddy

MaestroRage
MaestroRage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 01:04 PM

I was so sure that i'd have left before you did, but such is way the cookie crumbled.

Nothing we say can really change your mind. If you've already made it up.

Best of luck with your future endeavors! I hope you'll still partake in any new audio meetups!

Phoog
Phoog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 01:05 PM

Don't make music for newgrounds.

Make music for the sake of enjoying making music. You big pooface!

LJCoffee
LJCoffee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 01:11 PM

At 7/13/08 01:04 PM, MaestroRage wrote: I was so sure that i'd have left before you did...I hope you'll still partake in any new audio meetups!

I didn't think Chron said anything about leaving... He just said he wasn't going to be submittin any new audio.

BBS Signature
JinNJuice
JinNJuice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 01:17 PM

Oh yeah. I know how you feel. Auto-zeros... Too bad you forget where you posted your music. You probably had a stalker rating the zeros. I know I had one... err, two.

Well, it was nice knowing you (for this moment).

Something needs to go here.

chucktownbluv
chucktownbluv
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 01:26 PM

I've always enjoyed your music. I'm also of the mindset that you should make music for you. If people like it, cool. If they don't, fuck 'em. But I also agree that the zerobombing shit has gotten way out of hand. Eh, what can you do. That's newgrounds. Hope to see you back composing in the future.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 01:26 PM

guys in not LEAVING the portal - like i said its the least of my worries - and if i feel like making a song or 2 a year - I will.

I'll s5till be here to help newbies - and do pretty much everything I always have - ive just decided there are more important things in my life than making music right now. I don't make it for newgrounds - I make it because I feel like making it - and right now - I don't.

and thanks for the 2 guys with the bitchy remarks - reeal cozy there.

BBS Signature
Bad-Man-Incorporated
Bad-Man-Incorporated
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 01:46 PM

Sorry if I put the bug in your ear, chron. Newgrounds is a great site, but the dynamics of what it represents to audio artists just aren't the same anymore.
I am also starting to hold back on submissions here. For similar reasons and for personal reasons.

To the person who said shit about whinning about a bunch of numbers....
Let me give you the low down.

People do come to this site in search of music. Luke Cummo (UFC FIGHTER) was told this was a great site for music, as he was looking for an entrance theme. If I were him, I would have checked songs by their ranking. And when I found "shit" at the top of the charts ... "sayonara suckers".

......the numbers are a "ranking". Plain and simple. Newgrounds isn't equipped with a ranking "numbering" system because numbers 'don't matter'.
They are there for a reason. Artist's of the good old days know that the numbers mean something. Because songs were rated at their worth. Not 0 bombed by every goddamn noob that comes here. The big problem now, is letting people vote everyday on the same submission, however that is entirely a whole other topic.

Basically I'm saying those numbers still represent "ranks" and being shit on lately gives an artist the feeling that they are shit.
To anyone that says they don't care about scores...thats shit. I mean good reviews should be all that matter. But when you set a 5 year average of 4.40 or greater, then drop to a 3.30 or worse average, all the sudden with no more new reviews...thats saying something. A lot of artists take that as a direct reflection of their "skillz".

Yeah, its a bunch of numbers on a website, but for the artists who take their music seriously and are trying to make it a future, for them, exposing it to....a million plus newgrounds users is the same as doing it for a live audience (without the rush of course). The voting system represents a way for the musicians to hear what the "crowd" says. A bunch of zeroes are basically a bunch of "boos". Whether they come from haters or scripted programming. It can still hurt.

Basically I feel similar to Chron. We were speaking of it yesterday. I'm not retiring from making music, I'm just not submitting anything I've put good effort in, here as much. Even though I have no aspiring dreams to be a "rock star" ...I don't feel like subjecting my hard work to people who don't seem to give a crap anymore. (maybe that will change.)

Anyways, chron...my little drama queen. haha.
At least you are sticking around for the ride. haha.

BBS Signature
p4c
p4c
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 01:54 PM

or, another solution.... music, but not on newgrounds. sounds good to me. the fact that the ng portal is really screwed up, few people care about it enough, and the mods take forever to change anything wears on me a lot of others, but theres not much we can do about it.

im sticking around because its fun and gives me good practice on it, with feedback and all. im not looking forward to a bright future in music, but i think that its pretty fun and maybe ill jst do this ongoing on the side of whatever i plan to do later on. but anyway, my take on ng is to do it for teh lulz :) fight the power, chron.

BBQSandwich
BBQSandwich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 02:11 PM

Well said incorporated :C I'm just new to the portal with my little 5 songs, and now some of the best who inpspired me are almost quiting :( It makes me think though...

TjA
TjA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 02:16 PM

is this suppose to be sarcastic?

BBS Signature
BBQSandwich
BBQSandwich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 02:20 PM

At 7/13/08 02:16 PM, TjA wrote: is this suppose to be sarcastic?

No we are all going emo w00t

KorpzeAudio
KorpzeAudio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 02:31 PM

Wow the only time I visit the Forums in a long time i see this lol. I wish there is a site that I know of thats like NG but with friendlier people and more mature... sometimes I get this rly nice people giving me heads up and good reviews.. but then theres those comeplete assholes who dunno what their saying, and then their is thos assholes who hate that genre and give it a bad review/vote.
Oh well, not gona change that.

Gman approves of this post.

BBS Signature
Bad-Man-Incorporated
Bad-Man-Incorporated
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 02:32 PM

At 7/13/08 02:11 PM, BBQSandwich wrote: Well said incorporated :C I'm just new to the portal with my little 5 songs, and now some of the best who inpspired me are almost quiting :( It makes me think though...
and something about emoism.

Thats my opinion. My holding back on the portal isn't related to zero bombing though.
I made a newspost regarding my reasons.

You know also, saying the word "emo" and trying to encompass me in that umbrella is mistake. I've killed for less.

BBS Signature
DzGuy
DzGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 02:48 PM

Personally I would use other websites like MySpace or SoundClick to get noticed but NG is still fun since you get at least some feedback for each song. But even the amount of reviews you get is affected by your score so with the screwed up voting system you get A LOT of problems in the AP. A review should give you tips on how to improve (not always but usually) but the lower your score the more you get ignored. How do you improve when no one wants to tell you?

Anyway it's sad to see another regular stop posting music. Good luck with whatever you're going to do with the free time. =/

|| Audio || Art ||

BBS Signature
KgZ
KgZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 02:54 PM

At 7/13/08 01:26 PM, Chronamut wrote: and thanks for the 2 guys with the bitchy remarks - reeal cozy there.

Lol excuse me for not saying something more profound or "comforting"; Sounds like an excuse for attention. Newgrounds shouldn't have any bearing whether you write music or not. Even if you decide not to write music because of NG, there's no reason to make a thread telling your painful life story explaining why you quit composing, it's just unnecessary.

Just write music to have fun, you know? There's no pressure about ratings or scores.

hellsmaw18
hellsmaw18
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 03:02 PM

i feel ya shawn, im only holding back because im in such a tight situation right now and just not able to.

TomBanks
TomBanks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 03:17 PM

At 7/13/08 02:32 PM, Bad-Man-Incorporated wrote:
You know also, saying the word "emo" and trying to encompass me in that umbrella is mistake. I've killed for less.

You're emo. Mwahahahahaha!

nubbinownz
nubbinownz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 03:33 PM

actually to be quite honest, I was thinking of doing the same thing lately.
It's just not the same as it was when i first joined here. It was very supportive and when a song sucked, people used to give reasons why it sucked. To help the artist improve.

And I'm sorry KGZ i'm gonna have to disagree with your viewpoint here. If you didn't care what people thought, you would not be uploading on this site. If you were making music to make music. It would never leave your computer or your car stereo. Uploading it to a website that is very publically known to have upwards of thousands viewing it per day, has some intentions behind it. Trying to say otherwise is a bold faced lie. We put our music on newgrounds to offer it to flash artists and to get feedback on it. Nowadays that feedback just isn't here like it used to be. Which means; the reason we started posting here in the first place is not here anymore.

Let's say you started playing live shows, and when you started there were tons and tons of people in the audience, cheering and dancing. But then a year down the road, you start doing shows at the same place with only 1-2 people in the audiance. To tell me that you would still play there on a regular basis is bogus.

anyway, that's my 2 cents.

"It's alright to be afraid, lord knows I am."

BBS Signature
KgZ
KgZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 03:52 PM

At 7/13/08 03:33 PM, nubbinownz wrote:

my 2 cents

My point was more focused on the fact that he's quitting music all together because of NG. He's giving up on what he likes because the people haven't responded the way he would have liked. And while yes, it IS discouraging, there is no excuse to give up- just keep composing music and having fun.

On another note, everyone knows the NG rating system is corrupted and extremely flawed. I don't take my songs scores that seriously, because of this. But maybe this is because I'm not very active in the NG community anyway.

KgZ
KgZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 03:55 PM

Also, if I played live a year ago and everyone loved me, and then a year later everyone hated me, well then I would have to make a decision whether:
- I should keep doing what I do and hope people enjoy it.
- change something of my music that would hopefully attract more fans, or change the location for live performances.

You can always change something for the better. Using this as an example, finding a different alternative site to post your music is always an option. You can still post music here, but you won't regard to your skill and performance on NG, as you would on a different site.

Moth123
Moth123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Well its been fun Jul. 13th, 2008 @ 03:59 PM

well he is leaveing but I want to start so where is a good place to get something for music makeing