00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Song Of The Year 2008 - (revised)

1,380 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Song Of The Year 2008 - (revised) 2008-07-11 10:03:25

Hello everyone, I know i havent been about much but some of you entered the SOTY 2008 Competition at http://www.nexusradio.co.uk .. well I have news for you.. the rules have changed slightly, the whole site has had a refit, and there is an OFFICAL SOTY 2008 Page with EVERYONE's SUBMISSIONS ON IT!!!!

Just So you know SUBMISSIONS and NOMINATIONS are 2 different things. let me explain... A tune has to first be SUBMITED to the CORRECT EMAIL ADDRESS in the CORRECT FORMAT (read below) and Displayed on our Official SOTY 2008 Page.

You can then NOMINATE the tracks you think are Best, and those tracks will go through to both GENRE FINALS and OVERALL FINALS - After this point VOTING BEGINS

First things first... the rules:

1. The song/tune must be made in 2008

2. The song can be any genre, we are very liberal and like any tune as long as its good

3. The song must be submitted via email, either as a link or the file directly sent over email to: competitions@nexusradio.co.uk

The email must be layed out with the subject being: Song of the year 2008
(we run other competitions and I don't want to get confused.. make sure you send me the file or a link to the download even if i already have the file.. these files are being saved in a different place to the other files. )

In the main section of the email i will need this info

Artist Name:
Tune Name:
Genre:

These are required because:
a) most people don't tag their tracks properly
b) every track is going to put in to a new folder called song of the year 2008 in that folder will be genre folders, then artist folders, and it makes it much easyer if we can save directly to there instead of having to listen to every submission to find out where to put it.
c) if you can't handle sending an email like this there is no chance you can write a half decent song

4. The song cannot be one that was nominated for song of the year 2007, 2007 has passed, this year its all about NEW MUSIC from all different genres.

5. Once a song has been subitted it will be played out at about bi-weekly on N3XUS RADIO on most if not ALL of the shows so it gives a chance for everyone to hear the tracks in the runnings for SOTY. They will also be displayed in the NEW SOTY Section in a Flash Player, so people can listen to the tracks at their leasure and make a fair descision.

6. Tracks can then be NOMINATED by making a post in this thread at N3XUS RADIO

7. You SUBMIT your own tracks, but you cannot Nominate yourself, and I would rather no one nominated me (Wizard Sleeve)

8. You can only NOMINATE 2 tracks from the same artist, though collabs count as a different artist so you could nominate every single colab from some one plus 2 solo tracks if you want, although not more than 2 collabs from the same artists... For example: only 2 stef/sly collabs, but as many stef/other people collabs.

9. As with last year; tracks with 1 nomination are eligble for the bottom spots, 2 or more for the middle spots, and 3 or more for the top spots

10. Only nominations made on the official thread at N3XUS RADIO count. Email Nominations and Nominations on other forums do not count.

11. a) You CAN submit someone elses tune but you MUST get permission from the artist to do so an inform them about the contest! - I do prefer it if artists Submit their own tunes, that why i have their contact details for if they win and I know they will be checking the contest.
b) You Can also submit/nominate a tune that you hear on N3XUS RADIO but you must email the DJ who's show you played it on and get him to send it in the correct format to competitions@nexusradio.co.uk and ask him to also inform the artist that he has been submitted.

12. This competition is really just a load of fun to be had on N3XUS RADIO. Don't take it too seriously its just a way for us to play out some great tunes from artists all round the web, give them some recognition, and at the end of the competition send out some funny lil prizes to thank them for letting us play out there tunes and supporting N3XUS RADIO.

13. This is a new addition - If the email ain't right, I aint adding it. - This competition takes alot of time and work, if you cant take a couple of mins to do email me correctly...

----------------------------------------
-------------

Just a Quick note - As I have redesigned the site I have also redesigned the whole competition so ALL NOMINATIONS HAVE BEEN RESET (its only the NOMINATIONS that have been reset not the SUBMISSIONS, they are all still there please follow the link to hear all the currant songs) - If you could all post your new nominations that would be great.

The new official SONG OF THE YEAR 2008 PAGE - Aparantly the player doesn't work if you use that crap browser firefox... so use IE

If you have submitted a tune and it is not there I do apologise, but as you know the last couple of months with moving a couple of times and not having the net for about a month of it I have not been able to do much, please do not feel that I am Discriminating Against you, I have had 100's of emails to deal with and I have probably just skimmed over it. Please send me the email again :)

-------------

Nexus: 1. a means of connection; tie; link.

Nexus: 2. a connected series or group.

Nexus: 3. the core or center, as of a matter or situation.

BBS Signature

Response to Song Of The Year 2008 - (revised) 2008-07-12 19:41:16

People from NG not interested in this competition anymore? shame - you know a few of you folks have been submitted by other people.. I hope they told you that your in the competition... check the player (and scroll down... )

BBS Signature

Response to Song Of The Year 2008 - (revised) 2008-07-13 09:38:14

Wow, dude, your site looks awesome. I didn't think this whole thing was that organised XD
I'm sure some people are steering clear of this topic because of the last "Best song ever" thread. I know this is totally different, but it might send warning bells of to people who just posted in a bad thread before.
Anyways, I wouldn't worry about a lack of posting, there's still half a year befor the end of '08, and there's still alot of submissions to go untill that time ^^
Good Luck!

My Music | Me | F-777 | Kr1z | Audio Portal | For teh lulz ^^

BBS Signature

Response to Song Of The Year 2008 - (revised) 2008-07-15 05:36:57

At 7/13/08 09:38 AM, Nintechno wrote: Wow, dude, your site looks awesome. I didn't think this whole thing was that organised XD

Why thank you, I have been working hard to reoganise things, I was out of action for over a month with no net or computer due to moving house twice, and when i came back i felt it was time for a change.. there is still alot to work on, and i am in the process of setting up another site thats connected to n3xus radio.. but i am not going to spoil the surprise.

I'm sure some people are steering clear of this topic because of the last "Best song ever" thread. I know this is totally different, but it might send warning bells of to people who just posted in a bad thread before.

I did have a SOTY2008 thread here that i posted at the begining of the year... but seeing as i changed the site and reset the nominations (not submissions.. they are all still there) i thought I would post a new thread to drum up some more interest in the competition.

One thing.. and i shouldn't say this... if we can get enough people submitting music to us, a few companies like make hardware said they might sponser us and give us a BIG prize.. so not only will there be the usual array of nexus goodies, custom t-shirts n mugs etc but we MIGHT get some hardcore prizes.

We just need lots of people to submit their music as at the moment we only have about 36 submitted tracks and they dont see the benifit of offering prizes at this stage.

Anyways, I wouldn't worry about a lack of posting, there's still half a year befor the end of '08, and there's still alot of submissions to go untill that time ^^

Oh yeah we are posted on many sites and more and more people are sending in stuff all the time. The competition is always a load of fun even if we don't get the hundreds of tracks we had last year it will still be a laugh

Good Luck!

Thank you very much.. and good luck to you and anyone here who submits :)

BBS Signature

Response to Song Of The Year 2008 - (revised) 2008-07-15 05:52:02

The site looks really cool man! Like you say, there's alot of NG artists nominated. May the best artist win! Keep us updated here too, pl0x. :)

Wakka wakka

Response to Song Of The Year 2008 - (revised) 2008-07-19 08:23:41

At 7/15/08 05:52 AM, Rucklo wrote: The site looks really cool man! Like you say, there's alot of NG artists nominated. May the best artist win! Keep us updated here too, pl0x. :)

Will do. Hopefully more and more will submit their tracks to me, i have found people are less willing to submit their own tracks and want people to submit theirs for them...

maybe I should leak the prizes?

Well the predicted prizes are this.

#1 overall gets a custom made t-shirt, a selection of CD's donated by some of the artists that post on N3XUS, A mug and a few little other bits and bobs.. Plus a posibilty of some really big prizes but we are still in negotiations for that

#2 and # 3 overall get a mug and bumper sticker

In the individual Genre sections...

#1 will recieve a hat and mug
#2 and #3 recieve a bumper sticker.

examples of the clothes are on http://www.cafepress.com/nexusradio - last years winner recieved this t-shirt: http://www.cafepress.com/NexusRadio.1636 35072 (different image on both sides) - this year we hope to make an even better one.

Also depending on the contests popularity we are planning on making a CD of the top 15 or so tracks of the year (with the artists permission of course) that will be used for artist promo, possibley prizes to the top 3 overall, future prizes in other competitions. We wont ever sell this CD unless all artists who allowed us to put their tracks on there are okay with it. And the money will only go into future competitions cos right now it all comes out of my own pocket...

Also if you win a couple of prizes... say you win a bumper sticker and a mug.. but you really want the hat.. you can exchange as long as the prizes you have are of the same value or more.

The more popular this contest gets the better the prizes will become... also we are hoping people will donate some prizes for the competition to.

To donate a prize please contat: wizardsleeve@nexusradio.co.uk

Remember if you want to have a chance at winning a prize all you have to do is submit a song to competitions@nexusradio.co.uk and include your artist name, song title, and genre of music.
You can submit as many of your own tracks as you like, and if you are submitting some one elses track please include their email addy so i can contact them.. or alternativly let them know they are in the competition for me :)

BBS Signature

Response to Song Of The Year 2008 - (revised) 2008-07-19 09:46:55

Oh, so we can enter ourselves? I was under the impression that someone had to nominate up XD
Otherwise, I would have joined ages ago!

My Music | Me | F-777 | Kr1z | Audio Portal | For teh lulz ^^

BBS Signature

Response to Song Of The Year 2008 - (revised) 2008-07-19 10:08:56

At 7/19/08 09:46 AM, Nintechno wrote: Oh, so we can enter ourselves? I was under the impression that someone had to nominate up XD
Otherwise, I would have joined ages ago!

Yeah man everyone SUBMITS their own stuff... or other peoples if they want, but once submitted you need nominations to get through to the finals :)

So please everyone, email your tracks in to the contest!

BBS Signature

Response to Song Of The Year 2008 - (revised) 2008-07-20 17:44:29

SOTY is very intresting because all genres can be submitted and nearly every song is cool to listen to. And the best is that it's artists that is unrecognised and they need some attention to their work!

P.S Sorry for the spelling and grammar, working on it ^^

Response to Song Of The Year 2008 - (revised) 2008-07-20 17:56:26

I know that most of ppl wants to get their tunes out in the air to the ear of the "mass".
And sure this isnt one of the largest radiostations on the net, but for the time being... why not share your tunes with a bunch of dudes and dudettes that likes to hear music that can inspire them for their next hit? or get some critique on your music via the chat as you litsen to it.

and on top of it all, Nexus radio have a bunch of cool DJ that are ready to entertain you.

And ofcourse the Song of the year 2008!

Nexus Radio

~Enjoy~

I wanna thank Mydnite for creating my awsome sig!

And be sure to check out my music ^^

BBS Signature

Response to Song Of The Year 2008 - (revised) 2008-07-20 18:01:22

Indeed it is a oppertunity for all the artists that wants to see and hear what some audience thinks about your track! Don't be shy or anything, this may be your chance to get heard of anyone out there! You'll never know for sure!

Response to Song Of The Year 2008 - (revised) 2008-07-27 13:29:30

Yes... and you might win a prize too!

BBS Signature

Response to Song Of The Year 2008 - (revised) 2008-07-27 16:59:49

Count The One Man Band in :). Who is currently number one on the all time charts (shameless self promotion)

but yea the contest seems like a cool one.

Response to Song Of The Year 2008 - (revised) 2008-08-03 10:33:03

At 7/27/08 04:59 PM, TheOneManBand wrote: Count The One Man Band in :). Who is currently number one on the all time charts (shameless self promotion)

but yea the contest seems like a cool one.

Yup I have got your submission, and I have also added it to our websites SOTY player (that seems to only workin in IE)

BBS Signature

Response to Song Of The Year 2008 - (revised) 2008-09-28 09:51:02

Totally submitted my newer song to this!

Cool stuff, hope you get enough submissions to get more stuff from that hardware manufacturer or whoever!