Be a Supporter!

Generic anime drawings

  • 6,895 Views
  • 31 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Jhetto
Jhetto
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Generic anime drawings Jul. 10th, 2008 @ 04:50 AM Reply

I've seen many (and I'm sure you have too) people saying things against anime. Usually referring to how generic it looks or how detrimental it is to art in an anatomic sense.

I do believe that big eyes are not normal in the real world but cmon guys, anime is just like any art style. I can't change anyone's mind, you are free to think whatever you like. But I just think that anime artists should get their own freedom as well.

Anyways, here's some "generic" anime for you guys.

Generic anime drawings

willobeen
willobeen
  • Member since: Jan. 4, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 10th, 2008 @ 04:51 AM Reply

the art is great, (though the style isn't) and I agree with everyone you said.

ScorpianX0
ScorpianX0
  • Member since: Mar. 23, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 10th, 2008 @ 05:09 AM Reply

At 7/10/08 04:51 AM, willobeen wrote: the art is great, (though the style isn't) and I agree with everyone you said.

seriously........ what's wrong with Manga / Anime?........... I've heard shit from people saying " it's an easy style that anyone can learn " or " It's takes no talent to draw in this style" . That fucking burns me up.....


My Art thread / My DA account or just click my sig pic.
Beastiality is WAAYYYYY against park regulations, but YIFFY is ok

BBS Signature
willobeen
willobeen
  • Member since: Jan. 4, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 10th, 2008 @ 05:35 AM Reply

At 7/10/08 05:09 AM, ScorpianX0 wrote:
At 7/10/08 04:51 AM, willobeen wrote: the art is great, (though the style isn't) and I agree with everyone you said.
seriously........ what's wrong with Manga / Anime?........... I've heard shit from people saying " it's an easy style that anyone can learn " or " It's takes no talent to draw in this style" . That fucking burns me up.....

its not that its easy, its that its overused as shit and there is very rarely any originality in the drawings.

Jhetto
Jhetto
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 10th, 2008 @ 05:43 AM Reply

At 7/10/08 05:35 AM, willobeen wrote: its not that its easy, its that its overused as shit and there is very rarely any originality in the drawings.

Overused style or just cult popular?

HolyPeanuts
HolyPeanuts
  • Member since: Jun. 1, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 10th, 2008 @ 12:05 PM Reply

Go to deviant art, and count all the anime pieces on the front page. You will have your answer.


"Is this not a reasonable place to park?"

BBS Signature
Maxxor
Maxxor
  • Member since: Apr. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 10th, 2008 @ 12:12 PM Reply

At 7/10/08 04:50 AM, Jhetto wrote: But I just think that anime artists should get their own freedom as well.

Lol. You talk about it like it's some oppressed ethnic group or something. In what way is the freedom of anime artists compromised? lmao.


Doors. You'll know when they're appropriate.
dA

BBS Signature
ngmastah
ngmastah
  • Member since: Mar. 19, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 10th, 2008 @ 12:51 PM Reply

Generic anime sucks, old-school anime forever.

nice pic though.

PM me if you think I am good at MS paint. PMs: 9 Newest By:
darkspartan000 Siggy, made by ME :3

BBS Signature
kaiser-d
kaiser-d
  • Member since: Sep. 17, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 10th, 2008 @ 01:50 PM Reply

At 7/10/08 04:50 AM, Jhetto wrote: I've seen many (and I'm sure you have too) people saying things against anime. Usually referring to how generic it looks or how detrimental it is to art in an anatomic sense.

I've mentioned my share of complaints about anime, but first, what you have here is not anime, it's manga style. Anime is animated. Second, I agree with ngmastah that old school anime was better. Before anime got to be a mainstream commodity there was a lot more care put into the art than there is now. For example take the art style of Ninja Scroll or Akira and compare it to the drivel that is on TV nowadays. I would take this a step further to say that full length movies generally suck far less than any series because the animators have easier deadlines and larger budgets.

My actual problem with anime/manga art from an artistic sense is that it does not allow you to develop as an artist beyond a basic level. You have a fairly simplified canon of proportion (i.e. draw head like egg, place giant oversized eyes here and here, etc.) that will pretty much give you the same result every time. This is useful for learning how to render a form quickly, but since it is so simplified it looks generic because so many people use the exact same thing, so your art does not stand out in any particular way. Realistically you can learn a lot about composition and form from this, but once you have a grasp of this, which you seem to, you should really move on to more challenging things unless you want to be a manga artist or something. I used to draw a lot of manga type stuff myself, but when I found that I wasn't developing any more, I moved on. I am happy that I did, because I have since developed my own unique style, which I never would have done if I kept drawing exclusively manga. It's a little daunting to "relearn" how to draw, but ultimately worthwhile.


FB | Blog
If you ever wondered who to blame for your problems, find a mirror.

BBS Signature
Ani-x
Ani-x
  • Member since: Feb. 18, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Animator
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 10th, 2008 @ 02:27 PM Reply

At 7/10/08 01:50 PM, kaiser-d wrote:
At 7/10/08 04:50 AM, Jhetto wrote:

well your comparing movies to TV series,
thats like saying Lion King looked way better then the Adventures of buzz light year.
"Old School anime" looked worse back then, then the low budget animations of today
(DBZ, Speed Racer,Astro Boy,Gigantor compared to Digi-mon, Yugi-o, Inyusha , and so on)

as far as it all being the same, and doesnt allow groth, that is not true at all
i wont go into the details and how proper Manga/Anime is achived, but i can assure you there is alot more into it then ppl think.

what ppl need to realize and seem to forget is,
We are talking about cartoons, and cartoon style characters.
Hating something because it is "Anime" or "manga" is like saying "I are tired of Thunder Cats because its same style as Hee-man, and dont get me started on how generic the GI JOE style was"
they are cartoons.

I know Anime just took a leep in the 80's and early 90's as more of a cinematic style of animations.
it wasnt how the characters was drawn that gave its popularity and started the movement, it was the way it was animated, the angles, the over the top "omg wtf was that?" in animations, the crazy in depth and often taboo storys.
sex, gore, demons, cursing, violence in animation.
that is what why its so popular now.

Now blaming and bashing ppl for drawling manga is just stupid. most start out on this kinda style of cartoon art, not because its japanese, or it had sex and blood and cursing and all that fun stuff, but because there young, kids, who grew up watching poke mon and DBZ. went to school with a Sonic lunch box and a Shaman King T shirt wile talking about how funny the last One Piece episode was.
only natural this is what they are going to start drawling.

just same as older ppl probably started by drawling Dino Riders and teenage mutant ninja turtles on the back of our home work wile talking about how snake eyes would whoop skeletors ass.

so in the end, its just silly to hate something because its"Anime" or Manga.
hate it for the shitty drawn pic it is. or love it for the detail and colors of a well done piece.

/endrant

Drawing without thinking is just doodling, the brain and pen is connected.
PSN: SeoulSnake

BBS Signature
kaiser-d
kaiser-d
  • Member since: Sep. 17, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 10th, 2008 @ 03:51 PM Reply

At 7/10/08 02:27 PM, Ani-x wrote:
At 7/10/08 01:50 PM, kaiser-d wrote:
At 7/10/08 04:50 AM, Jhetto wrote:

Why does there always have to be some fanboy jumping up to attack whoever doesn't think anime is the greatest thing since grilled cheese? For the record, I didn't say I hated anime or manga. Try reading the whole post before you start typing your rebuttal. What I said is that overall there was more effort put into anime before it became a commodity. I also said that full length animated pictures are better quality than series are.

well your comparing movies to TV series,
thats like saying Lion King looked way better then the Adventures of buzz light year.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Do you disagree? What is your point? Tight deadlines reduce quality. That was my point, and you will be hard pressed to refute it if you know anything about working professionally in any sort of creative studio (or have ever tried to get anything done with little time, for that matter). The point was that if you are looking for inspiration to aid YOUR DRAWING SKILL, it is better to look at art that was done more carefully than something that is churned out quickly to gain maximum profit with minimum work.

as far as it all being the same, and doesnt allow groth, that is not true at all
i wont go into the details and how proper Manga/Anime is achived, but i can assure you there is alot more into it then ppl think.

This is where you're wrong, and I will go into detail about how proper anime/manga is achieved. The people who are exceptional anime/manga artists did study many other drawing styles. I went to college with many of them. They then took what they learned and applied it to anime or manga after the fact, allowing them to come up with a better product than they ever would have by studying anime alone. All animators and illustrators draw on the same foundations, regardless of style.

The fact is that if you never learn proper proportion or anatomy, using a manga how-to book is never going to cover that up. You grow as an artist by tackling new things and applying them to what you already know. If you fail to ever try anything new you never get better. If you are happy with what you can already do then great, stop there, but who wants to do that? There comes a point when an artist decides to go beyond just drawing the characters from the shows they watch. When you get to that point, you need to branch out a little if you want to get better. You can still draw anime or manga, but you will draw better overall if you study other things also. You might even find a style you like better or enough confidence to try something new that you never thought you could pull off before.

Hating something because it is "Anime" or "manga" is like saying "I are tired of Thunder Cats because its same style as Hee-man, and dont get me started on how generic the GI JOE style was"
they are cartoons.

True, but I never said anything about hating it. There are annoying things about anime, mostly the shortcuts they take with the animation, but overall I don't hate is specifically because of the genre. Also the thunder cats being the same style as He Man did always bug me. As a kid I didn't really get into comics for that exact reason. Looking back at the old comics and cartoon shows of the 80's and early 90's now you can see that most of them have no shading whatsoever (shading was one of the main things that helped anime catch on in the west, as western animation tended to lack it completely). I started liking them more when the art diversified. Also that is maybe three examples of similar art, compared to about a billion examples of nearly identical manga/anime art. Take a look at "The Maxx" or "Spawn". Both of these artists managed to create comic-based animations while maintaining a distinct style of their own. Both of these artists also studied anatomy in addition to studying comic art. The argument that it will look generic just because it is a cartoon is ridiculous.

so in the end, its just silly to hate something because its"Anime" or Manga.

Yes it is. It is also just as silly to demand that someone like a style. Not everyone like impressionism or abstract art or surrealism, nor should they have to. Why should everyone like anime or manga? Some people just don't like the art. Some, such as myself, don't like the direction the genre is going in after having watched it develop for many years. It has nothing to do with liking or disliking anything specifically because of the label it has. It's personal preference, which we are all entitled to.

hate it for the shitty drawn pic it is. or love it for the detail and colors of a well done piece.

I do. Most of the manga/anime art I see is crap though. Jhetto's drawing is much better than most, but he could probably stand to study how fabric folds and how the shape of the body underneath is going to cause it to do so. My biggest complaint with the above drawing is that the folds in the fabric don't make sense or conform to the shape of the body underneath. The proportion is good and the pose is interesting, but the clothing needs work.


FB | Blog
If you ever wondered who to blame for your problems, find a mirror.

BBS Signature
ngmastah
ngmastah
  • Member since: Mar. 19, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 10th, 2008 @ 03:54 PM Reply

At 7/10/08 03:42 PM, fetusdoctor wrote: Hay guyz how is this his name is Nakasami-turi-lima-chan-san. If you'll excuse me I have to go watch Naruto and Power Rangers.

tAT iz so kuL i totuly hate ppl daT DUn leik animay dey r bakas lol


PM me if you think I am good at MS paint. PMs: 9 Newest By:
darkspartan000 Siggy, made by ME :3

BBS Signature
Neolight
Neolight
  • Member since: Oct. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 10th, 2008 @ 03:59 PM Reply

OMG SO KAWAII


View my Deviantart

BBS Signature
Ani-x
Ani-x
  • Member since: Feb. 18, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Animator
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 10th, 2008 @ 04:48 PM Reply

At 7/10/08 03:51 PM, kaiser-d wrote:
At 7/10/08 02:27 PM, Ani-x wrote:
At 7/10/08 01:50 PM, kaiser-d wrote:
At 7/10/08 04:50 AM, Jhetto wrote:

1. Im not a fan boy
2. i wasn't jumping on you, just disagreed on the point that it limits you. the rest was just a general rant at no one in particular
3. LMAO at i never been in a studo or worked hard on something?
My roommate in korea IS a animator. school trained all the love.
I work for a game company
I been in studios
I worked in studios
I know about deadlines, quality vs time

I never said its generic because its a cartoon, i said its a cartoon.
comparing Mcfarlin and sam keith to what?
the billion other comics to animation that looked the same? of course they had break through. just like I's and Sotashi koh
but your right there are a billion examples on both sides

about what you said about manga/anime artist...
of course they are all trained in other things, know proper proportions, lighting anatomy ectt
in fact you have to know this to know what to exaggerate. but we are talking about base lvl stuff here, not pro's, talking about ppls start. kids and sketchbooks.

anyways sorry if you thought i was jumping on you, i was just a general rant
I dont care if ppl like manga/anime or not, just hate seeing ppl bash it because its that is silly.
( i dont like quintin terintinos movies, but can admit and apreacate what he does alot of the time)

also note, i never was a a big fan of most styles of anime. and only got into a select few Japanese animations
but i grew up on it and eventfully started doing it with out realizing it,
Thats the influence of your surroundings.
look at my art tread, i posted a interesting picture of how some of our stuff (me and mia) matches up with established artist and animations, its funny and cool because its unintentional

and sorry for hijacking the tread


Drawing without thinking is just doodling, the brain and pen is connected.
PSN: SeoulSnake

BBS Signature
Mason
Mason
  • Member since: Jan. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 10th, 2008 @ 08:06 PM Reply

At 7/10/08 04:50 AM, Jhetto wrote: I've seen many (and I'm sure you have too) people saying things against anime. Usually referring to how generic it looks or how detrimental it is to art in an anatomic sense.

I do believe that big eyes are not normal in the real world but cmon guys, anime is just like any art style. I can't change anyone's mind, you are free to think whatever you like. But I just think that anime artists should get their own freedom as well.

Anyways, here's some "generic" anime for you guys.

you realize that by making this thread you have unleashed the asshole effect. everyone no matter how much they like anime or manga will say something that others would say to comment stuff they do it sarcastically to get at you. example

OMG SO KAWAII! 8D

its basically a mini school yard antics flame war

Jhetto
Jhetto
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 10th, 2008 @ 09:28 PM Reply

Okay okay, sorry for the technicality, but yes, anime is animated and anything in that style is considered manga.

My original point was that many people look at an anime (/manga) art piece and instantly without thinking say "This is complete shit. No effort is needed, no hard work, no skill. It's just shit." Even though there could be something to take from it.

It's been said that anime art is too basic and I do agree that the one line for a nose is basic, but I also think that the basic anime art makes only a bit of the anime genre in a whole. For example, Takeshi Obata (the Deathnote artist) has some simplified facial proportions but there are more realistic looking characters with realistic anatomy.

I just wanted to try to dissolve the automatic "Anime is shit" thought. Look at the particular art. If it's shit to you, then it's the artists fault, not anime in a whole.

(Also grilled cheese was mentioned...man grilled cheese is awesome...)

Generic anime drawings

CypressDahlia
CypressDahlia
  • Member since: Nov. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 10th, 2008 @ 09:38 PM Reply

Rofl. Get over it.

Anime exists--point therein: no matter how much you hate it, it won't go away. And, to be honest: I fucking hate elitists. At this point, you're just being completely judgmental. Rofl. Do you know every anime artist on Earth? Well? Do you?

Masahiro Ito draws anime on his free time. Look at his work for Silent Hill--it's bonkers. Blows most artists of any given style out of the water.

Generic pic attached:

Generic anime drawings

ngmastah
ngmastah
  • Member since: Mar. 19, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 10th, 2008 @ 10:20 PM Reply

The style from Akira is the best >:U


PM me if you think I am good at MS paint. PMs: 9 Newest By:
darkspartan000 Siggy, made by ME :3

BBS Signature
Jaepil
Jaepil
  • Member since: Oct. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 18th, 2008 @ 01:26 AM Reply

dude kaiser d

unless youve got some years of animating experience under your belt, id suggest not talking so big with Ani-x.
besides that, your arguments aren't doing a damn thing for your cause besides the fact that its making you look very naive.


Hate is the only true consistent construct that makes up the world.

Jaepil
Jaepil
  • Member since: Oct. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 18th, 2008 @ 01:29 AM Reply

dude jhetto dont sweat it, doesnt prove a thing besides people have a fondness of complaining for no coherent reason.


Hate is the only true consistent construct that makes up the world.

l33t-soldier
l33t-soldier
  • Member since: Aug. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 18th, 2008 @ 02:08 AM Reply

At 7/10/08 09:38 PM, CypressDahlia wrote: Generic pic attached:

It looks like you put more detail into the sword and head more than anything...

Neolight
Neolight
  • Member since: Oct. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 18th, 2008 @ 02:26 AM Reply

This argument is trash. If it weren't for the stuff that came out of Japan I would never have been encouraged to draw much of anything let alone animate.

There's been plenty of good work within the style, and a couple years ago I was hardcore about getting defensive about it for its sake.

But meanwhile, I will say this. If you want to be an artist in entertainment, animation, whatever - learn your fundementals first. No lets not call it realism, its the fundementals. If you can't draw a reasonable human figure you'll be hard pressed to make a dynamic and stylized one and unfortunately, the internet is filled with chibi artists dreaming about a career who clearly dont know thier shit.


View my Deviantart

BBS Signature
Lamoureux
Lamoureux
  • Member since: Nov. 12, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 18th, 2008 @ 11:28 AM Reply

Fuck you guys!

Here's a real anime hero.

Generic anime drawings


Somebody feel bad for me and make me a sig.

If not fuck you.

CypressDahlia
CypressDahlia
  • Member since: Nov. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 18th, 2008 @ 11:31 AM Reply

At 7/18/08 02:08 AM, l33t-soldier wrote:
It looks like you put more detail into the sword and head more than anything

Yeah, I did... o_O Is...there a problem? Haha.

Jaepil
Jaepil
  • Member since: Oct. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 18th, 2008 @ 11:59 AM Reply

At 7/18/08 11:31 AM, CypressDahlia wrote:
At 7/18/08 02:08 AM, l33t-soldier wrote:
It looks like you put more detail into the sword and head more than anything
Yeah, I did... o_O Is...there a problem? Haha.

still looks good


Hate is the only true consistent construct that makes up the world.

Nantes
Nantes
  • Member since: Apr. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 18th, 2008 @ 02:10 PM Reply

At 7/10/08 03:42 PM, fetusdoctor wrote: Hay guyz how is this his name is Nakasami-turi-lima-chan-san. If you'll excuse me I have to go watch Naruto and Power Rangers.

HOLY FUCKING POCKY THAT IS AWESUM!

MY CHARACTER OSHI-MITSU-BITCHY-RUCKY- CHAN IS NOTHING COMPARED TO YOUR SUPERIOUR AWESOMNESS.

LOOK AT HIM, HE THIKNS YUR AWESOM!!!

Generic anime drawings


wtf does missing required parameters mean?

BBS Signature
ngmastah
ngmastah
  • Member since: Mar. 19, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 18th, 2008 @ 02:28 PM Reply

At 7/18/08 01:26 AM, Jaepil wrote: dude kaiser d

unless youve got some years of animating experience under your belt, id suggest not talking so big with Ani-x.
besides that, your arguments aren't doing a damn thing for your cause besides the fact that its making you look very naive.

Haha, Anime fanboy standing up for Anime, even if Kaiser didn't have animating experience, this is about the style of it dumbshit.


PM me if you think I am good at MS paint. PMs: 9 Newest By:
darkspartan000 Siggy, made by ME :3

BBS Signature
CypressDahlia
CypressDahlia
  • Member since: Nov. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 18th, 2008 @ 02:36 PM Reply

At 7/18/08 02:28 PM, ngmastah wrote:
Haha, Anime fanboy standing up for Anime, even if Kaiser didn't have animating experience, this is about the style of it dumbshit.

...Huh?

I think you missed something.

ngmastah
ngmastah
  • Member since: Mar. 19, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 18th, 2008 @ 02:39 PM Reply

At 7/18/08 02:36 PM, CypressDahlia wrote:
At 7/18/08 02:28 PM, ngmastah wrote:
Haha, Anime fanboy standing up for Anime, even if Kaiser didn't have animating experience, this is about the style of it dumbshit.
...Huh?

I think you missed something.

Aw, crap, nevermind, sorry, I didn't know they were actually talking about the animation, just ignore my post D:


PM me if you think I am good at MS paint. PMs: 9 Newest By:
darkspartan000 Siggy, made by ME :3

BBS Signature
IDuDe
IDuDe
  • Member since: Oct. 26, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Generic anime drawings Jul. 18th, 2008 @ 03:55 PM Reply

I like Manga/Anime, I'm not that much of a fan-boy, but I think the drawings (if not the style as well) is great! I can say for a fact that most people that say anime is easy to draw and that it's a crappy style of drawing, should just show some of their own attempts at the style, and only then start saying shit like:"Manga sucks balls!" Or:"Anime is crap!"
And I'm not saying that anime is so great and awesome, it's just not that crappy...


Only Apples Have The Right To be Red
MY DEVIANTART GALLERY