New Topic Respond to this Topic
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-08 20:45:16 Reply

This is a club for fans of the works of Joss Whedon. I felt now was a good time to make this, since he has two new shows coming out in the near future, but neither are really big enough to warrant their own crew, so why not cram them in here with all the other ace stuff he's made?

His work includes:
Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Angel
Firefly
Serenity
Dollhouse
Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Alien Resurrection

Discussion of his input into other shows, be it as writer, director or actor, is also welcome.

To join, just post what of his stuff you've seen so we don't all up talking about stuff no one else has watched.

I've seen all of Buffy, Angel up to season 4, Alien Resurrection, all of Firefly, Serenity, and I've read the Firefly/Serenity linking comic book he wrote, "Those Left Behind".

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-09 09:58:12 Reply

Come on guys, at least make some jokes about his massive forehead.

BBS Signature
BlueFlameSkulls
BlueFlameSkulls
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-09 10:19:45 Reply

His forehead...is massive

Joss Whedon Crew

Dejanus
Dejanus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-09 10:34:41 Reply

Take my Love

Take my land

Take me where I cannot stand

I dont care

Im still free

You cant take the sky from me

In for only the sake of Firefly and Serenity myself.

Gamertag: Dejanus
Mr. Strelok, I presume?

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-09 10:39:09 Reply

At 7/9/08 10:34 AM, Dejanus wrote: In for only the sake of Firefly and Serenity myself.

They're his best by miles. I mean, Buffy seasons 2 and 3 are ace, and the rest is alright, and Angel is good, but Firefly is probably the best TV show ever.

BBS Signature
NEVR
NEVR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-09 10:39:34 Reply

Used to love Buffy the Vampire Slayer -- haven't watched it in a LONG ass time, but I was disappointed when it ended. I have most of the seasons (1-7 I think) on VHS, and I'd like to convert them to DVD's so that I can safely watch them again, as last time I tried to play a VHS tape it got chewed up by the player. ;_;

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-09 10:43:32 Reply

At 7/9/08 10:39 AM, NEVR wrote: I have most of the seasons (1-7 I think) on VHS, and I'd like to convert them to DVD's so that I can safely watch them again, as last time I tried to play a VHS tape it got chewed up by the player. ;_;

HMV had them on offer a while back, they were only £10 a season, and I picked them all up over the course of a few months. Angel, too. They're not on offer now, but last time I checked they were only £13, so they're still not that expensive.

BBS Signature
NEVR
NEVR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-09 10:55:19 Reply

At 7/9/08 10:43 AM, TheMaster wrote: HMV had them on offer a while back, they were only £10 a season, and I picked them all up over the course of a few months. Angel, too. They're not on offer now, but last time I checked they were only £13, so they're still not that expensive.

Might look into that... I'm guessing that around Christmas time they'll probably put them back on offer, so that might be a good time to pick them up. As it is, I'm waiting for my student loan to come through, so at the moment I have no money to buy them with. They'll be put at the bottom of my list of things to buy ;P

But also, Angel was fairly good IMO -- one of the better spinoffs of a TV show that I've seen. I never watched it avidly, but I watched it whenever I could and even managed to follow a storyline or two. I was pleased that Cordelia was in it too (at least when I saw it), as she was seriously hot.

BBS Signature
Dejanus
Dejanus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-09 10:55:37 Reply

The best thing about Whedon is the fact that he develops his characters so well, and yet will kill them off almost on a whim. It adds a sense of realism and kind of bypasses the old "how do they all survive this?" cliche.

Mr. Strelok, I presume?

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-09 10:58:34 Reply

At 7/9/08 10:55 AM, Dejanus wrote: The best thing about Whedon is the fact that he develops his characters so well, and yet will kill them off almost on a whim. It adds a sense of realism and kind of bypasses the old "how do they all survive this?" cliche.

Wash.

Joss Whedon Crew

BBS Signature
Dejanus
Dejanus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-09 11:43:52 Reply

At 7/9/08 10:58 AM, TheMaster wrote:
Wash.

A leaf on the wind.

Watch how he soars.

Mr. Strelok, I presume?

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-09 12:42:51 Reply

Everyone going to watch Dr. Horrible when it starts on Tuesday, then?

It's free to watch online, but only for about a week, starting Tuesday, then you have to pay. It looks good, Neil Patrick Harris plays a supervillain, and Nathan Fillion plays a superhero.

There's a comic up for back story, and that's worth a read.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-11 20:48:00 Reply

Joss is going to be on VH1 at 9pm tonight, for all you Americans. Presumably talking about Dr. Horrible, and maybe Dollhouse.

BBS Signature
aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-11 20:52:48 Reply

Kind of surprised this crew hasn't been tried before. Good idea.

I love basically everything Joss has done, including his run on Astonishing X-Men, and I'm digging his comic continuations of Angel and Buffy.

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator
The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.
PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-11 20:58:02 Reply

At 7/11/08 08:52 PM, aviewaskewed wrote: I'm digging his comic continuations of Angel and Buffy.

I've been meaning to get them for a while, at least Buffy anyway, since I only ordered Angel series 5 today. I was half holding out for some nice hardback collections like he did with Firefly, and half being cheap and just putting off buying them. I vaguely recall seeing paperback collections of the Buffy ones. I might have a look for them next time I'm near a bookshop.

BBS Signature
aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-11 21:49:00 Reply

At 7/11/08 08:58 PM, TheMaster wrote: I've been meaning to get them for a while, at least Buffy anyway, since I only ordered Angel series 5 today. I was half holding out for some nice hardback collections like he did with Firefly, and half being cheap and just putting off buying them. I vaguely recall seeing paperback collections of the Buffy ones. I might have a look for them next time I'm near a bookshop.

Two Buffy Season 8 collections are out:

1. The Long Way Home

2. No Future For You

They are meant to be read in that order

The Angel series is called Angel: After the Fall. They've pushed back the first trade, and they have what looks like what should be the second half of the series (supposed to be 12 issues last I checked) in hardback slated for November.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-11 21:51:10 Reply

Oh, and there's another Serenity mini that either IDW or Dark Horse has coming out...I get confused since somehow they wound up with the Buffy and Angel licenses split between those two.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-11 22:15:17 Reply

At 7/11/08 09:51 PM, aviewaskewed wrote: Oh, and there's another Serenity mini that either IDW or Dark Horse has coming out...I get confused since somehow they wound up with the Buffy and Angel licenses split between those two.

Better Days, yeah. I meant to get it as it was released, but completely forgot about it until I saw the second one in a shop, and again decided just to wait for the 3 to be put together in a collection.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-11 22:37:37 Reply

At 7/11/08 10:15 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 7/11/08 09:51 PM, aviewaskewed wrote: Oh, and there's another Serenity mini that either IDW or Dark Horse has coming out...I get confused since somehow they wound up with the Buffy and Angel licenses split between those two.
Better Days, yeah. I meant to get it as it was released, but completely forgot about it until I saw the second one in a shop, and again decided just to wait for the 3 to be put together in a collection.

Actually, unless you mean the Sheppard Book backstory one. I'd totally forgotten about that. It'll be ace, one more Firefly loose end tied up. All that's left after that is Blue Sun and their involvement with River, which might have been retconned in Serenity anyway.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-14 19:23:00 Reply

Turns out I had the wrong URL for the official Dr. Horrible site, so here's the right link.

Just under 8 hours left until act 1. I'd get it watched as soon as it's online, too, since it's only free until the 20th, so you've only got 5 days to watch it before you'd have to buy the DVD.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-15 09:00:07 Reply

It's up, and it's really fucking ace.

Fillion steals the show here, he's really good, but the whole thing is quality. Can't wait for the next part.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-19 09:08:07 Reply

Bump for Dr. Horrible ending.

Spoilers and what not:
Oh god, depressing. Wouldn't have expected anything else in a Whedon relationship, though. Why should Penny and Billy end any differently from Giles and Jenny, or Angel and Buffy, or Spike and Buffy, or Wash and Zoe, or Xander and Anya, or Tara and Willow. Whedon hates people being in happy relationships.

Still, brilliant end to a brilliant series. Evil League of Evil was brilliant, too.

BBS Signature
Kuro
Kuro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-19 09:17:53 Reply

At 7/8/08 08:45 PM, TheMaster wrote: and I've read the Firefly/Serenity linking comic book he wrote, "Those Left Behind".

The problem with that is that the TV show's greatness was based so much off of the performances that a comic book just doesn't interest me at all.

Kuro - Puting the 'Kur' back in 'inkurable disease.'

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-19 09:26:53 Reply

At 7/19/08 09:17 AM, Kuro wrote: The problem with that is that the TV show's greatness was based so much off of the performances that a comic book just doesn't interest me at all.

Yeah, it isn't that good. A lot of the best bits of the TV show come down to timing, and the delivery of the lines. Breaking tense moments with witty one liners and the like.

Still, comic book Firefly is better than no Firefly. At least it ties up a couple of loose ends.

BBS Signature
Gamemeister128bit
Gamemeister128bit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-20 19:07:10 Reply

Watched Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Serenity, Alien: R, and Dr. Horrible.

Read Astonishing X-Men and Buffy Season 8.

Are we taking bets on how many major deaths are going to be written in Dollhouse for the sake of "realism"?

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-20 19:11:45 Reply

At 7/20/08 07:07 PM, Gamemeister128bit wrote: Are we taking bets on how many major deaths are going to be written in Dollhouse for the sake of "realism"?

From Wikipedia:
Paul Smith (or Paul Ballard) played by Tahmoh Penikett - An FBI field agent, he's been chasing the urban myth of the "Dollhouse" long enough to have lost any shot at promotion. Becomes obsessed with, and twisted romantic foil for, Echo.

Yep, he's dead.

BBS Signature
Jerkapotamus
Jerkapotamus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-20 19:15:12 Reply

I watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer religiously back when they were new, and then watched them religiously again when they were on FX during the summer. I think I've seen just about all of them.

I also watched a good deal of Angel, but probably not all of it.

I certainly watched all of Firefly at least three times and the Serenity movie.

PS3 ID: Jerkapotamus
Sig by Akula

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-29 07:58:23 Reply

Dr. Horrible is back online for some reason, if anyone missed it.

BBS Signature
PoJoX
PoJoX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-29 11:51:59 Reply

Been a big Buffy fan since it's insurrection on FX, and I just got through THOROUGHLY enjoying Dr. Horrible.

I think it only right for Whedon to get his own club.

Why was the Angel theme so much cooler than Buffy's when Buffy was a better show?

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Joss Whedon Crew 2008-07-29 12:11:39 Reply

At 7/29/08 11:51 AM, PoJoX wrote: Why was the Angel theme so much cooler than Buffy's when Buffy was a better show?

The Angel theme goes so well with the early seasons, when he's actually being a detective and helping people, and not fighting ex-Powers and demon armies. I actually think the first few seasons of Angel are better than a lot of Buffy. Everything up to the Pylea arc is excellent, and even that is okay, even if it is a bit of an abrupt change of direction for the series. I really like the Holtz/Connor arc, too, but the Jasmine arc is a bit shit. Series 5 is pretty average until the last few episodes, which are really good.

With Buffy, season 1 is good, seasons 2 and 3 are excellent, and then it all starts to go downhill. Season 4 is watchable, but season 5 is pretty weak (with the exception of Joyce's death which is done really well). It picks up again in season 6, which is good, and then season 7 is really good, but still not as good as 2 or 3.

BBS Signature