New Topic Respond to this Topic
Truth
Truth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Jul. 5th, 2008 @ 03:11 PM Reply

Watched any illegal videos on Youtube? Viacom knows all about it. Viacom knows all the videos you ever watched on Youtube. They now also know that you watched this video.

News Source
2nd News Source

Eddie
Eddie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Jul. 5th, 2008 @ 03:15 PM Reply

YouTube Pooper will shit themselves.

ololo se wut i did thar?

FUCK MAN I know

BBS Signature
InsertFunnyUserName
InsertFunnyUserName
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Jul. 5th, 2008 @ 03:18 PM Reply

At 7/5/08 03:11 PM, Truth wrote: this video.

I like that video.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature
AapoJoki
AapoJoki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Twone
Twone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Jul. 5th, 2008 @ 03:55 PM Reply

Yeah, Viacom took down a lot of Spongebob videos a long time ago.

BBS Signature
InsertFunnyUserName
InsertFunnyUserName
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Jul. 5th, 2008 @ 04:06 PM Reply

Woah.

I definitely just made an ass of myself in this thread.

Anyhoo, yeah, that's pretty bad. Why the hell would they need our personal information? Are they going to have the government go out and arrest every 12 year old kid who looks up Family Guy videos on YouTube?

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature
AapoJoki
AapoJoki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Jul. 5th, 2008 @ 04:19 PM Reply

At 7/5/08 04:06 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote: Anyhoo, yeah, that's pretty bad. Why the hell would they need our personal information? Are they going to have the government go out and arrest every 12 year old kid who looks up Family Guy videos on YouTube?

I think their point is to gather statistics so they can prove that most of the videos watched on YouTube are copyrighted material rather than videos made by the users.

Maybe their intentions are legitimate, but they're moving down a slippery slope here. This move alone gives a lot of room for abuse, but it's a lot more dangerous as a precedent if other companies or governments start doing the same.

lilcheeselad
lilcheeselad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Jul. 5th, 2008 @ 04:20 PM Reply

At 7/5/08 03:15 PM, Eddie wrote: YouTube Pooper will shit themselves.

ololo se wut i did thar?

I C WAT U DID THAR

Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube

citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Jul. 5th, 2008 @ 04:29 PM Reply

Welcome to 3 days ago.

SuperFlonic
SuperFlonic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Jul. 5th, 2008 @ 04:30 PM Reply

At 7/5/08 03:53 PM, AapoJoki wrote: Capn Awesome calls for boycott.

But what do we boycott? Youtube? Us watching even more copyrighted videos?
Tell me.

AapoJoki
AapoJoki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Jul. 5th, 2008 @ 04:35 PM Reply

At 7/5/08 04:30 PM, SuperFlonic wrote:
Tell me.

He says he's never buying anything Viacom ever again. Never watch any TV made by Viacom, never see any Viacom movies.

SuperFlonic
SuperFlonic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Jul. 5th, 2008 @ 04:41 PM Reply

At 7/5/08 04:35 PM, AapoJoki wrote:
At 7/5/08 04:30 PM, SuperFlonic wrote:
Tell me.
He says he's never buying anything Viacom ever again. Never watch any TV made by Viacom, never see any Viacom movies.

And where do I find a list of viacom things on TV? Not that it matters a lot, I don't think we have a lot from Viacom in my country.

Paradox
Paradox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Jul. 5th, 2008 @ 04:43 PM Reply

Viacom can suck a dick, because YouTube Poop will continue to live on providing every did exactly what WalrusGuy did to prevent Colgate from finding his.

AapoJoki
AapoJoki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Jul. 5th, 2008 @ 04:46 PM Reply

At 7/5/08 04:41 PM, SuperFlonic wrote: And where do I find a list of viacom things on TV? Not that it matters a lot, I don't think we have a lot from Viacom in my country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viacom#Asse ts

All of these.

Ouch, Screattack too! No more Angry Video Game Nerd, if you want to take the boycott seriously.

Atgod88
Atgod88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Gamer
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Jul. 5th, 2008 @ 04:47 PM Reply

Viacom is a pussyladen cockmongling piss infect cum bubble.

For my next trick, I will need a condom and a volunteer.

BBS Signature
AapoJoki
AapoJoki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Jul. 5th, 2008 @ 04:48 PM Reply

At 7/5/08 04:46 PM, AapoJoki wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viacom#Asse ts

All of these.

And notice Comedy Central, too. That means no more South Park. I don't see myself going through with this boycott, as much as I would like to.

Benovere
Benovere
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Jul. 5th, 2008 @ 04:55 PM Reply

At 7/5/08 04:46 PM, AapoJoki wrote:
At 7/5/08 04:41 PM, SuperFlonic wrote:
All of these.

Ouch, Screattack too! No more Angry Video Game Nerd, if you want to take the boycott seriously.

Ha! Jokes on you.
AVGN's main site is cinemassacre.

BTW to the person who mentioned South Park: All of the south park episodes are put up on the interweb for free by the creators on southparkstudios. spongebob is on nick.com, and almost all episodes found on adult swim can be found on adultswim.com. youtube is just stealing videos from these sites >:( (except AVGN)

-Lost Signature-
If found, please call 555-1212 to claim your prize. disclaimer - prizes may cause fatigue, bad breath, erectile dysfunction, tax audit, or anal bleeding.

BBS Signature
Eddie
Eddie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Jul. 5th, 2008 @ 04:59 PM Reply

At 7/5/08 04:43 PM, Paradox wrote: Viacom can suck a dick, because YouTube Poop will continue to live on providing every did exactly what WalrusGuy did to prevent Colgate from finding his.

Heh, I never really thought that would work. When nickshorts tried it, he got suspended.

FUCK MAN I know

BBS Signature
AapoJoki
AapoJoki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Jul. 5th, 2008 @ 05:07 PM Reply

At 7/5/08 04:55 PM, Benovere wrote: Ha! Jokes on you.
AVGN's main site is cinemassacre.

Yeah, but you can't watch them without visiting GameTrailers.com (also Viacom) and giving their site more hits.

BTW to the person who mentioned South Park: All of the south park episodes are put up on the interweb for free by the creators on southparkstudios. spongebob is on nick.com, and almost all episodes found on adult swim can be found on adultswim.com.

But if you want to boycott Viacom, you can't visit any of those sites. They gain ad revenues every time you view their sites.

youtube is just stealing videos from these sites >:( (except AVGN)

Yeah, maybe that's true. But that's not the biggest issue here. If Viacom wants their stuff taken out from YouTube, then that business is between Viacom and YouTube. The problem is the way YouTube is forced to hand over its detailed user information to a third party (Viacom). This is going down a dangerous path. What people view on YouTube should be no one's business but YouTube's and the viewers'. However, if Viacom has complaints about what is PUBLISHED on YouTube, then that's a legal matter, but it should be dealt with without handing over my private information.

Truth
Truth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Jul. 5th, 2008 @ 08:41 PM Reply

At 7/5/08 03:55 PM, Twone wrote: Yeah, Viacom took down a lot of Spongebob videos a long time ago.

No big loss there

At 7/5/08 04:19 PM, AapoJoki wrote:
At 7/5/08 04:06 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote: Anyhoo, yeah, that's pretty bad. Why the hell would they need our personal information? Are they going to have the government go out and arrest every 12 year old kid who looks up Family Guy videos on YouTube?
I think their point is to gather statistics so they can prove that most of the videos watched on YouTube are copyrighted material rather than videos made by the users.

They can go a bit further then just keep statistics. Using information from the records of what people watch, they can help there own television network.

This move alone gives a lot of room for abuse, but it's a lot more dangerous as a precedent if other companies or governments start doing the same.

Exactly, I still don't understand why Viacom even tried to make private videos available for them to view. also they tried to get information on anything you search for on youtube.

jinkaza1
jinkaza1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Jul. 30th, 2008 @ 10:14 AM Reply

do you know what the funny thing is though
viacom has many "illegal" videos on its own site wich it profits from
if you want more facts about why viacom shouldn't win the court case watch this <a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybYajmFDl y8>video<a>

ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Oct. 22nd, 2008 @ 05:05 PM Reply

Yeah, they just threatened to take me to court for trying to look up an episode of South park. Should I be scared?

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Truth
Truth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Oct. 22nd, 2008 @ 05:09 PM Reply

At 10/22/08 05:05 PM, puddinN64 wrote: Yeah, they just threatened to take me to court for trying to look up an episode of South park. Should I be scared?

really? they probably won't do anything

Shadowii2
Shadowii2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Game Developer
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Oct. 22nd, 2008 @ 05:10 PM Reply

I only hope the same could happen to the crap that gets stolen from Newgrounds, seriously, it pisses me off when they just go like "oh, wow, cool flash! I'll take it and give no credit! I'll get subscribers and comments! YEAH!"

I actually like it more that the illegal stuff on YouTube gets removed and the original stuff stays.
Some trailers and teasers are nice on YouTube though, although they break the terms of use too.

But can't complain because they are easy way for attention towards the movie/game/etc.
BFK
BFK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Oct. 22nd, 2008 @ 05:26 PM Reply

youtube isn't for full length shit anyways, sites shouldn't have to be responsible for user uploaded content, nor should companies get to see everything we watch

especially since I clicked your first link
Eclipse
Eclipse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Oct. 22nd, 2008 @ 05:27 PM Reply

Oh shit man, now thats scary. Oh and did u kno in newer laptops/monitors there will be a camera behind the screen recording ur every movement? Keep the old one!

The Stoner's Club
Current PC: Windows 7 Ultimate, AMD Radeon HD 6320, 4GB RAM, 1.25TB HD, 1.65GHz AMD APU

BBS Signature
Jinzoa
Jinzoa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Oct. 22nd, 2008 @ 05:40 PM Reply

How can they sue you for watching that stuff on the site anyway? i can understand illegal downloads but visiting the site itself that hosts illegal content has to have the blame i would have thought.

Unless watching their videos is a form of downloading that is.

Apart from that if shit like this can easily happen it would seem the future of privacy laws could look even bleaker.

FloppyPlops
FloppyPlops
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Viacom, & illegal videos on youtube Oct. 22nd, 2008 @ 05:45 PM Reply

i loled

WOOTAHOOTA

BBS Signature