New Topic Respond to this Topic
piggy123
piggy123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
how do u make a website? Jun. 30th, 2008 @ 12:34 PM Reply

i sorta know how to make a site. like i mean i know how 2 do very basic stuff on dream wever.

Le-Froid
Le-Froid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to how do u make a website? Jun. 30th, 2008 @ 12:41 PM Reply

Download XAMPP and place your files into the htdocs folder, then type "http://localhost/" in your browser

"I don't fail at stuff, I just succeed at finding what doesn't work"

Anim8or666
Anim8or666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to how do u make a website? Jun. 30th, 2008 @ 12:56 PM Reply

It helps if you know XHTML and CSS. Don't get into the habit of using tables. Use divs and CSS together. You could test the files locally or find a free host like superfreehost.info to upload the files to. Have fun!

This account is no longer active. Let this signature serve as the only existing tribute to this account's former greatness.

BoneIdol
BoneIdol
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to how do u make a website? Jun. 30th, 2008 @ 01:55 PM Reply

Websites are both very simple and very complicated to make. They draw upon a lot of seperate technologies, but not usually at much complexity.

Your actual website is built using (X)HTML, CSS and Javascript. More complicated websites that allow users to post comments and things also make use of SQL and usually either PHP, ASP, Ruby on Rails, ColdFusion or JSP. These are sometimes backed up with some flavour of XML for things like News feeds.

You can learn them all here: http://www.w3schools.com/

Start with HTML, move onto CSS then pick up XHTML (which is pretty much just HTML with some more rigid conventions). After this pick up a server side language; I'd recommend PHP (because it's so much easier to get PHP working on your PC and a ton cheaper to get PHP hosting). Don't worry about SQL and Javascript so much, you'll pick it up as you go along.

Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

Loccie
Loccie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to how do u make a website? Jun. 30th, 2008 @ 04:01 PM Reply

bagoverhead, you forgot </sarcasm>

I hope...
BoneIdol
BoneIdol
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to how do u make a website? Jun. 30th, 2008 @ 04:02 PM Reply

At 6/30/08 03:43 PM, bagoverhead wrote: ^^^ yawwwwwwn ^^^
it ain't 1995, no need to learn any language to build a website.

buy some cheap webhosting, use dreamweaver to upload via ftp.. and learn as u go along.

unless u are a complete nerd learning to code to build a basic website will become very boring and pointless seeing the hours of work adobe has put in to dreamweaver just to avoid that time consuming activity.

Please say your taking the piss. GUI html editors are garbage without exception.

Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

djconnect
djconnect
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate

I am a hacker of a Nu-Aira

BBS Signature
nns357
nns357
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to how do u make a website? Jun. 30th, 2008 @ 08:16 PM Reply

1. <body>
2. ???
3. PROFIT!

Anim8or666
Anim8or666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to how do u make a website? Jul. 1st, 2008 @ 12:59 AM Reply

I downloaded Dreamweaver, also. I used the GUI for a while, but I got curious and decided to take a look into the "code" section. Eventually, I picked up CSS and XHTML. Dreamweaver is more of a learning tool, because once you learn HTML and CSS, it's much faster.

This account is no longer active. Let this signature serve as the only existing tribute to this account's former greatness.

djconnect
djconnect
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to how do u make a website? Jul. 1st, 2008 @ 01:39 AM Reply

At 7/1/08 01:06 AM, bagoverhead wrote: true ^

no need to jump into coding to make your first website

It depends on your reason for creating a website. If you want to make a web site just because you think It would be cool or as a hobby, fine use a GUI. Tho If you want to create websites professionally then you should learn everything behind the scenes.

I am a hacker of a Nu-Aira

BBS Signature
notsquid
notsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to how do u make a website? Jul. 1st, 2008 @ 06:47 AM Reply

At 7/1/08 01:39 AM, djconnect wrote:
At 7/1/08 01:06 AM, bagoverhead wrote: true ^

no need to jump into coding to make your first website
It depends on your reason for creating a website. If you want to make a web site just because you think It would be cool or as a hobby, fine use a GUI. Tho If you want to create websites professionally then you should learn everything behind the scenes.

You should never, imo, use a GUI for creating a website that you're going to have on the internet so to speak. It's much better to use the GUI for learning, then go onto actually learning how to make them properly.

Anim8or666
Anim8or666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to how do u make a website? Jul. 1st, 2008 @ 10:44 AM Reply

Yeah. I used a GUI for my first site and it turned out hideous. It's still up there, in all of its ugliness. Compared to my newer site, which was coded in a text editor.

Jon
Jon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Blank Slate
Response to how do u make a website? Jul. 1st, 2008 @ 12:35 PM Reply

At 6/30/08 03:43 PM, bagoverhead wrote: ^^^ yawwwwwwn ^^^
it ain't 1995, no need to learn any language to build a website.

for the average 13 year old with no attention span this may be the case, but for the people who are into making websites and who actually want to make something of their site, it's pretty much rule #1 that you should know what you're doing when it comes to making it. saying you don't need to know any language to build a website is like saying there's no need to learn how to drive to drive a car if you can just get auto drive to do it.

buy some cheap webhosting, use dreamweaver to upload via ftp.. and learn as u go along.

lol ^

unless u are a complete nerd learning to code to build a basic website will become very boring and pointless

well, no, it doesn't get boring at all, because the result of what you code is very rewarding, and you don't need to be a "nerd" to build a website with coding, a lot of regulars here are far from nerds and what they produce is amazing, more so than what any WYSIWYG editor can make, ALSO, the website will load faster because if you code by hand you won't have any unnecessary junk clogging up your code.

coding will only become boring and pointless if you don't know what you're doing or you have no attention span and concentration to actually take the time actually DO IT instead of wanting a super awesome designed and coded site in 5 minutes without having to do any work what so ever

seeing the hours of work adobe has put in to dreamweaver

i will give adobe credit for creating dreamweaver, as it is a good learning tool, but coders cant rely on WYSIWYG editors throughout, they become tedious and slow, slow, that is - if you actually learn what pressing the 'insert table' button actually does

just to avoid that time consuming activity.

this is what is really fucking me off, people these days want instant everything without having to do anything what so ever, and to be honest, i've taken it as quite an insult, as a person who has actually spent nights coding, trying to figure out why this code wasn't working, where i needed to write that code for the other code to work, and there are people who just put no effort in what so ever, relying on other people to do the hard work for them so they can get a free ride.

ARGH. rant over.

i'm new to this :3

hello

notsquid
notsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to how do u make a website? Jul. 1st, 2008 @ 12:48 PM Reply

Building, coding and designing websites is great fun, if you don't want to put effort in and plan on using a WYSIWYG you don't deserve arms.

nns357
nns357
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to how do u make a website? Jul. 1st, 2008 @ 04:53 PM Reply

At 7/1/08 12:37 AM, bagoverhead wrote: save your cancer for ED faggot. ^

How I do love some bitching noobs bitching in the morning.

Anim8or666
Anim8or666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to how do u make a website? Jul. 1st, 2008 @ 07:21 PM Reply

At 7/1/08 12:48 PM, notsquid wrote: Building, coding and designing websites is great fun, if you don't want to put effort in and plan on using a WYSIWYG you don't deserve arms.

You've pretty much made your point clear, seeing as you have like 20 sites currently deployed.

wildride50
wildride50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to how do u make a website? Jul. 5th, 2008 @ 10:33 AM Reply

I've got to options for you: Download Dreamweaver for site creating, or just create one at www.freewebs.com always easy and you can buy your own domain there if ya want to.

My site from the video ''Knights at the museum''
www.knightsatthemuseum.webs.com

Jessii
Jessii
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Movie Buff
Response to how do u make a website? Jul. 5th, 2008 @ 01:37 PM Reply

At 7/5/08 10:33 AM, wildride50 wrote: I've got to options for you: Download Dreamweaver for site creating, or just create one at www.freewebs.com always easy and you can buy your own domain there if ya want to.

You didn't read the thread or else you would've already known about Dreamweaver being mentioned. Freewebs isn't recommended either and never will be. It's suggested to go to http://www.w3schools.com and learn, buy your own hosting and domain later on from a good company and be done with it.

prowlie
prowlie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to how do u make a website? Jul. 5th, 2008 @ 03:09 PM Reply

Absolutely right; its much better to just use WYSIWYG software like dreamweaver ect, where youll get a nice looking site, rather than spend years learning html where youll get a shitty looking site.

Jessii
Jessii
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Movie Buff
Response to how do u make a website? Jul. 5th, 2008 @ 03:18 PM Reply

At 7/5/08 03:09 PM, prowlie wrote: Absolutely right; its much better to just use WYSIWYG software like dreamweaver ect, where youll get a nice looking site, rather than spend years learning html where youll get a shitty looking site.

Not always! WYSIWYGs can't do everything that needs to be done most of the time. You still need to know (X)HTML and CSS or else you won't be able to get it to look right in all browsers.