New Topic Respond to this Topic
LJCoffee
LJCoffee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-14 15:02:15 Reply

At 6/14/08 09:25 AM, Deflektor wrote: Isn't LJCoffee around ? I remember PMing him a bunch of MAC suggestions

This is taken from the PM that Deflektor sent me last December - these were his ideas.
-"Heaven or Hell ?" theme : As for the MAC November's "DnB versus Ambient", it includes making a duel between two genres. Contestants write their vision of Heaven or Hell (or both)

-"Battle" theme : Now THAT is a vague one. It's that simple, the contestants just write their BEST battle theme ever. I heard many battle themes in previous MACs (mostly the Pico and Castle Crashers themes). I think it would be interesting to hear different kind of battle themes. There's just a little flaw in that theme : i hardly imagine a battle theme in some genres, which puts a limit of variety.

-"Typical country music" theme : Well, basically, you choose a country (other than yours if possible), and make a music typical of that country. The problem is, i fear that soundfonts are abused on this one (there are a load of soundfonts ripped from typical music you can hear in many music, professional as amateur). It's up to the team about this one.

-"Be your own idol" theme : Now that is one i'm not sure about. The goal of this one is to make a tune in the style of your idol (or a composer or artist you like). However, taking my own example, there's some flaws here : to judge entries, you have to know about the artist the contestant chose. No offense, dude, but i don't think you know Yoshitaka Hirota, Jean-Michel Jarre, Mike Oldfield, or Gustaf Grefberg that much. You see what i mean ? Besides, only the best artists here could do something like that. But well, i still suggest this, in the case it gives you another idea.

-"Tears" theme : The contestants write something that would bring a tear, either by being utterly sad, either by being marvelously beautiful. Seeing that even that german fucker Darkside (lol, rule 10) made a sad song last year, on the MAC November 2006, i do believe this theme would work, and maybe would reveal the full talent of some artists.

-"Hapiness" theme : Basically the exact opposite of the "Tears" theme suggested above. Lots of fun with this one, me think.

-"Ng characters" theme : As for Pico, the MAC team chooses a NG character, and the contestant write something based on it. NG having lots of characters with lots of flash, i think that would be a great idea, as the flash makers would be delighted to use something made specifically for these characters.

-"NG audio artists characters" theme : This will need some of the artistic sensitivity of the contestants (and the listeners, too). Basically, the contestants write a theme for a character they imagined, and it's up to everyone listening to the songs to guess what kind of character it is. Of course, judging would be based on quality. As i said, it would bring the artistic sensitivity of everyone, because this is what we are : artists.

-"Feelings" theme : Like the one above, the contestants have to depict a particular feeling trough their music. Either choose one or two, either let the contestants choose any feeling they want.

-"Changes" theme : Contestants would have to write something different from their prominent genre(s). Taking my own example, my prominent genres are ambient and classical, meaning that every ambient or classical would be PROSCRIBED for me. It's generally obvious to see what is the prominent genre(s) of each artist, so it might work.

BBS Signature
SolusLunes
SolusLunes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-14 15:04:35 Reply

Here's one.

You take a picture, any picture at all, and write a song about it.

What does that mean?

Simple. Take a random picture like this, or hell, anything else, be it an exploding planet or whatnot, and write a song that embodies it.

I actually do this fairly often for myself. I get a picture of what I want it to sound like.

Maybe we could have one picture for the whole contest?

NickPerrin
NickPerrin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-14 15:04:45 Reply

At 6/14/08 04:06 AM, Nintechno wrote: Okay, so...Most of those Ideas aren't going to work.
How about this?: 2 - Emotional

Genius. Perfect. Yes.

At 6/14/08 04:06 AM, Nintechno wrote: 6 - Environment

Absolutely. Also awesome.

My vote goes to these two. By far.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-14 16:10:06 Reply

everyone should write a sogn and dedicate it to me, or goldencat

the lulz never end..

or how about you make a song that sucks so BADLY - and breaks every single possible rule that paradoxically it actually sounds good?

Like throw ALL musical theory out the window - bang on pots and pans - record yourself doing anything - mash it all up unto an abortinist abomination of a song and then ACTUALLY try and make it good.

Or we can do what the flash portal does and take like a bit of a sogn someone has made, and then make a full song off of it using said theme..

Nintechno
Nintechno
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-14 18:32:42 Reply

Hey Solues.
I kid you not, i had that exact same idea, but I did'nt post it. And this is why:
If you take a picture as the theme, people can interpret it in a million different ways, and there is no right or wrong way to turn it into music. A submission might have hours put into it, but the judge might not see it the same way the artist does, and therefore might not judge it "correctly".
Also, someone who did'nt lose, would say: "Oh, you just don't see it as deeply as I do, you have no vision etc etc"

I just don't think it would work, there would be an endless horde of dissagreements, and the very creators of it would probably end up locking it.

My Music | Me | F-777 | Kr1z | Audio Portal | For teh lulz ^^

BBS Signature
Gloudas
Gloudas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-14 18:40:42 Reply

How about a percussion ensemble contest? No synths or pitch percussion, just standard percussion equipment. that would be SO badass

Also, someone wanna give me a quick summary of what a MAC is and what the last two were? I got the gist of it from this thread, but I haven't been around here real long and hadn't heard of em till now

A heavy bassline is my kind of silence.

Enjoy progressive house? Then listen to my song.

SinJim
SinJim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-14 19:00:56 Reply

Hmmm...

Pick a really boring sample (random crappy guitar or drum loop for example)

Upload it somewhere that the contest entries can access it.

Contest entries download and process/chop the hell out of it.

Rules are that the song must use the loop.

I think it'd make for an interesting contest and you can judge based on the originality of the way you used the loop and the song in general.

*shrug*

~SinJim

2nd-Edition
2nd-Edition
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-15 10:34:34 Reply

I had an idea that i put to people a while ago and it just got ignored, but it would be kool for something like this

somebody find a sample somewhere from something totally random, like a cut from a Bush speech or maybe a sample of an old 80s track, something completely pointless

then we all make a track with that sample in it somehow

btw what is a MAC ?
2nd-Edition
2nd-Edition
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-15 10:37:19 Reply

At 6/14/08 07:00 PM, SinJim wrote: Hmmm...

Pick a really boring sample (random crappy guitar or drum loop for example)

ok yeah didn't read that, but its along the same lines as what im thinking

lets do it !

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-15 10:38:10 Reply

At 6/15/08 10:34 AM, 2nd-Edition wrote: I had an idea that i put to people a while ago and it just got ignored, but it would be kool for something like this

somebody find a sample somewhere from something totally random, like a cut from a Bush speech or maybe a sample of an old 80s track, something completely pointless

then we all make a track with that sample in it somehow

the samples must be legit to be put on the audio portal, i.e. you must own or have right to use it. this will exclude most professional songs, and shitload of other good stuff.

btw what is a MAC ?

monthly audio contest

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

xKore
xKore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-15 10:43:38 Reply

cowbell only contest.

p4c
p4c
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-15 12:53:20 Reply

im gonna have to say, xkore wins.

p4c
p4c
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-15 12:57:05 Reply

6 - King of the Genre

well, dnb v. ambient didnt go badly, did it?

LJCoffee
LJCoffee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-15 13:26:15 Reply

At 6/15/08 12:57 PM, p4c wrote: well, dnb v. ambient didnt go badly, did it?

No - it did very well. (I think)
Huge pain in the ass to manage but we did have really good participation. That one was an evil-bitch to judge as there were over 100 submissions in two categories. Almost like two MACs in one...
There were ideas floating around for several more "VS." MACs but they were never fully realized.

BBS Signature
0con
0con
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-15 13:38:19 Reply

Everyone should make a song about missing me since I've been away ;)

!

LJCoffee
LJCoffee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-15 13:46:21 Reply

At 6/15/08 01:38 PM, 0con wrote: Everyone should make a song about missing me since I've been away ;)

We all missed 0con,
cause he's our fucking hero.

We love teh way he writes his name,
He spellz it wit a Zero.

He disappeared but now he's back,
to grace us with his posting.

We love his crazy antics,
all his bitching and his boasting.

Now that he's back,
it's only right,
to give the guy a holler,

If 0con wore a t-back,
then I'd give the man a dollar.

BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-15 14:13:43 Reply

At 6/15/08 01:38 PM, 0con wrote: Everyone should make a song about missing me since I've been away ;)

Hey ocon, hows it going.

Lance
Lance
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-15 14:58:25 Reply

At 6/14/08 06:32 PM, Nintechno wrote: Hey Solues.
I kid you not, i had that exact same idea, but I did'nt post it. And this is why:
If you take a picture as the theme, people can interpret it in a million different ways, and there is no right or wrong way to turn it into music. A submission might have hours put into it, but the judge might not see it the same way the artist does, and therefore might not judge it "correctly".
Also, someone who did'nt lose, would say: "Oh, you just don't see it as deeply as I do, you have no vision etc etc"

I just don't think it would work, there would be an endless horde of dissagreements, and the very creators of it would probably end up locking it.

I'm glad you have the intelligence to realize that. That's music for you. But you also list an emotion themed and environmental themed based contest, which can be percieved exactly the same way you described.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-15 15:07:19 Reply

At 6/15/08 01:46 PM, LJCoffee wrote:
We all missed 0con,
cause he's our fucking hero.

We love teh way he writes his name,
He spellz it wit a Zero.

He disappeared but now he's back,
to grace us with his posting.

We love his crazy antics,
all his bitching and his boasting.

Now that he's back,
it's only right,
to give the guy a holler,

If 0con wore a t-back,
then I'd give the man a dollar.

I once knew a guy named weirdo dude
and since i was in a generous mood
I didnt block or ban the dude
a 12 year old that wasnt boring?

the boy grew up and became an OCON
and was like "hey remember me Shawn?"
and i was like ok his name is now OCON
but thats another story

Ocon was his emo hair
was just too much to bear
so some bigwig on ngs there
decided to delete his sorry ass

so now with a zero 0con returns at last
with hot december sex to leave all aghast
but will he really REALLY last
or will he leave again?

Nintechno
Nintechno
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-15 15:40:36 Reply

At 6/15/08 02:58 PM, Lance wrote: I'm glad you have the intelligence to realize that. That's music for you. But you also list an emotion themed and environmental themed based contest, which can be percieved exactly the same way you described.

Ah yes, but at the end of the day, ANY themed competition could be percieved that way. And it doesn't matter, because the judges decision is final.

BBS Signature
xKore
xKore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-15 15:41:14 Reply

God.. are we actually going forward with this 0con MAC idea ?

MJTTOMB
MJTTOMB
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-15 15:43:59 Reply

I hate to whine, but I would advise you finish the old MAC before getting all wrapped up in a new one.

BBS Signature
Nintechno
Nintechno
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-15 15:46:43 Reply

At 6/15/08 03:43 PM, MJTTOMB wrote: I hate to whine, but I would advise you finish the old MAC before getting all wrapped up in a new one.

Maestros just looking for ideas so that more poeple are happy with the theme. Apparently, people thought that recent ones were phail. Reast the first post.

BBS Signature
dirtydigital
dirtydigital
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-16 18:44:19 Reply

Could we take an extremely popular audio portal submission and get the composer to post the .wav track and possibly session file and have a remix based only on that material?

Nav
Nav
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-16 18:54:30 Reply

At 6/16/08 06:44 PM, dirtydigital wrote: Could we take an extremely popular audio portal submission and get the composer to post the .wav track and possibly session file and have a remix based only on that material?

Well, that's actually a cool idea! They'd have to post multitracks and midi, though, so that we all can use.

Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-16 19:21:14 Reply

MAC8 July - Moar Cowbell.

Edn.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-16 19:27:08 Reply

At 6/16/08 07:21 PM, Rig wrote: MAC8 July - Moar Cowbell.

Edn.

Actually, I'd really try that. A song completely out of cowbell samples.

Awesome.

LJCoffee
LJCoffee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-16 19:28:28 Reply

At 6/16/08 07:21 PM, Rig wrote: MAC8 July - Moar Cowbell.

SeXunded!

At 6/16/08 06:44 PM, dirtydigital wrote: Could we take an extremely popular audio portal submission and get the composer to post the .wav track and possibly session file and have a remix based only on that material?

Almost went down that road once before - the hard feelings and pisstivity that came out of it was enough to make everyone decide to trash the idea.

BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-16 19:35:59 Reply

I wouldn't mind seeing a contest for songs completely by sampling music. But I have no idea how we would get through copyrights =/

dirtydigital
dirtydigital
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-16 19:37:24 Reply

At 6/16/08 07:28 PM, LJCoffee wrote: Almost went down that road once before - the hard feelings and pisstivity that came out of it was enough to make everyone decide to trash the idea.

I can see how that would happen. Too bad though, that'd be great fun.