Zerobeam
Zerobeam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Home Recording, any advice? Jun. 13th, 2008 @ 03:44 PM Reply

Hi guys,

Lately, I've got really interested in voice acting.
Personally, I play piano, write songs and overall just record funny tunes/voices.
I've been looking to get myself a cheap installation, but I really have no clue where to start...
Maybe you proffesionals could give me a hand?

So, basically, I'll be using it for voice recording.
I wont be working in groups, nor will I use it to record live instruments (I have a MIDI keyboard, so heck...). Do I need anything more than a mic, or will a decent mic + computer do?

What things do I need to look for when buying a mic? Frequenty? Cable?

And for recording, which program do you use? I've once got a trial version of SoundBooth, which had some nice editing functions. But anything else?

Anyway, I'm not asking for links.
Just for your own advice.
If you have any experience with mics, programs, voice recording, home recording,... just share it, please!

Thanks a lot,
-Zerobeam

Shenkhar
Shenkhar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Home Recording, any advice? Jun. 13th, 2008 @ 03:48 PM Reply

Try getting an external audio card and microphone from m-audio, they have some good beginner equiptment, decently priced as well.

You will lol, and you will like it.

BBS Signature
Zerobeam
Zerobeam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Home Recording, any advice? Jun. 13th, 2008 @ 04:08 PM Reply

So, an external audio card.

Why is that needed? For more inputs, or better delays/drivers ?

Zerobeam
Zerobeam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Home Recording, any advice? Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 04:44 AM Reply

Aight, I've heard that the Roland Edirol UA 25 is a good deal.

It has lots of inputs, including 2 XRL's.

Oh, and any more advice? Perhaps for programs? I've heard that Cubase was good...

Phoog
Phoog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Home Recording, any advice? Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 04:53 AM Reply

the Shure SM57 is good for recording vocals. It's a good all around mic as well, can record most acoustic instruments and more. I don't know how much it costs, though.

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Home Recording, any advice? Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 04:55 AM Reply

Get one of these mics:

Nady RSM-4
MCA SP-1
Rode NT1a
MXL 990/991

all top of their class for the price. For a preamp - buy an M-audio audio buddy - they are also unbeatable for the insanely low price that they can be had for. Program-wise, just pick up reaper.

Zerobeam
Zerobeam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Home Recording, any advice? Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 04:57 AM Reply

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/S hure-SM57-InstrumentVocal-Mic?sku=270102

Costs 99$, pretty cheap for a mic, and the reviews seem nice.

I'd put it on my wanted-list, thanks ;)

Zerobeam
Zerobeam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Home Recording, any advice? Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 05:12 AM Reply

Shure SM57:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/S hure-SM57-InstrumentVocal-Mic?sku=270102
Overall, this is a cheap mic which really fits my budget. It seems most people rate this as an instrument mic, though it is actually used for both. Which is nice.

Nady RSM-4 Ribbon:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/N ady-RSM4-Ribbon-Studio-Microphone?sku=27 7107
Very low price, also an instrument-vocals one. I love the positive reviews about ribbon mics overal, but this one seems really good for it's price.

MCA SP1 Studio Condensor:
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revie ws/Microphone/product/MCA/SP1+Studio+Con denser/10/1
http://www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/prod uct.cfm?Product_ID=3093
Well, I was surprised this mic was so cheap aswell. (Hehe, I sure thought mics were like...200-400$) Also, good review about guitar and vocals. I own a guitar aswell, so in any case, this will do a great job. Might consider this a good beginners mic, though I have no idea how long this could last. But hey, you've gotta start somewhere!

RODE NT1-A:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/R 0DE-NT1A-Anniversary-Model-Microphone?sk u=271593
This is the anniversary model, which I think is more expensive, though I'm not sure. 229$ is a little higher price, but reviews are all about good sounding vocals. Personally, I have no idea wether to take this or not. Since the above mics are also very good, but have a much lower price tag... Meh,... I don't know.

MXL 990/991:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/M XL-MXL-990MXL-991-Recording-Microphone-P ackage?sku=273166
I kinda failed to see the point of 2 mics, but it appears the one is for vocals, the other for instruments. Well, this can certainly come in handy, especially for recording guitar or my real piano. Pricing is very cheap for 2 mics, I think. Might consider this, if vocals are good though...

Overall, the Shure and Nady seem the best. Also note, I really need a mic for vocals, not for instruments. While this is just an option, it really isn't needed!

Thanks for the advice! I'll look into it!
(And Reaper is freeware, right? I don't know... I never really had good experience with freeware, but I might give it a try)

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Home Recording, any advice? Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 06:07 AM Reply

For most of these mics you're going to need a mixer. You can get them from most Radiosack locations for a decent amount (look for one in the 30-50 dollar range). I also suggest using a pop-filter when recording with a mic like this. I prefer to use Sony Acid Pro for the mixing, and Adobe Audition for the mastering. They seem to make a pretty good combination in what I'm doing.

Zerobeam
Zerobeam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Home Recording, any advice? Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 07:21 AM Reply

At 6/14/08 06:07 AM, esko-man wrote: For most of these mics you're going to need a mixer. You can get them from most Radiosack locations for a decent amount (look for one in the 30-50 dollar range). I also suggest using a pop-filter when recording with a mic like this. I prefer to use Sony Acid Pro for the mixing, and Adobe Audition for the mastering. They seem to make a pretty good combination in what I'm doing.

If I buy a external USB Audio Interface (see above post), will that be enough? Or do I really need a decent mixer?

Also, is there anything I need to keep an eye on when buying a pop filter?

Adobe Audition, eh... Yeah, hear of it. Seemed like a damn fine program to master. :)

giftedbuttwisted
giftedbuttwisted
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Home Recording, any advice? Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 09:58 AM Reply

At 6/13/08 03:48 PM, Shenkhar wrote: Try getting an external audio card and microphone from m-audio, they have some good beginner equiptment, decently priced as well.

Yeah, definately go with the M-Audio Fast-Track Pro. As far as programs go, I reccomend going all the way and buying Protools M-Powered for about $250. Don't waste your time learning useless programs like Cubase or Cakewalk.

Here's an example of what M-Audio Fast Track Pro and Protools can do together: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 46930

If you have any more questions, feel free to send me a private message.

Zerobeam
Zerobeam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Home Recording, any advice? Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 10:06 AM Reply

Yeah, definately go with the M-Audio Fast-Track Pro. As far as programs go, I reccomend going all the way and buying Protools M-Powered for about $250. Don't waste your time learning useless programs like Cubase or Cakewalk.

Here's an example of what M-Audio Fast Track Pro and Protools can do together: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 46930

If you have any more questions, feel free to send me a private message.

That Fast-Track Pro seems even better than the Roland! Thanks so much!

Protools seem really proffesional, which I love, I'm guessing Protools have VST support?
Anyway, it's decided, M-Audio Fast Track it is! :D

Though, I'll still have to look for a good mic.

Any more advice?

Perhaps anything to boost sound performance in a normal room? Cause it's Home Recording afterall... Should I buy somekind of isolation?

dirtydigital
dirtydigital
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Home Recording, any advice? Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 10:25 AM Reply

Go with the Rode. You won't need another Mic until you move to other recording scenarios. I would never stick a 57 unless last resort or experiment. For guaranteed results for the $, RODE

Zerobeam
Zerobeam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Home Recording, any advice? Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 10:39 AM Reply

Aight, thanks for the advice.

I'm aware that the Rhode will provide much better quality. So yeah... Most likely...

Perhaps some of you could post what mics you own? And compare them?

Zerobeam
Zerobeam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Home Recording, any advice? Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 01:37 PM Reply

At 6/14/08 09:58 AM, giftedbuttwisted wrote: Don't waste your time learning useless programs like Cubase or Cakewalk.

um. yeah.

Zerobeam
Zerobeam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Home Recording, any advice? Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 01:42 PM Reply

Haha, guys, programs are just programs.

I prefer adobe Audtion more than ProTools anyway.

It all depends on you, not the program. ;)

Anyway, more advice :D

Sleaze
Sleaze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Home Recording, any advice? Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 02:51 PM Reply

We used some Fostex digital recorder w/ a vocal mic to record the song linked in my sig. It couldn't bounce tracks correctly though so I wouldn't recommend it. I'm thinking of getting a M-audio portable recorder which is around $400

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Home Recording, any advice? Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 03:16 PM Reply

At 6/14/08 02:51 PM, Sleaze wrote: We used some Fostex digital recorder w/ a vocal mic to record the song linked in my sig. It couldn't bounce tracks correctly though so I wouldn't recommend it. I'm thinking of getting a M-audio portable recorder which is around $400

If you're going for a portable one - don't pay $400 for something by m-audio. You can pick up a Zoom H4 for half that price (it's open box, but you know).

http://www.audiolines.com/Zoom-H4-Handy-
Recorder-p-17737.html

alcatraz5
alcatraz5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Home Recording, any advice? Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 03:44 PM Reply

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 51041

I recorded this at home.

With a 5$ attachment plug, and a single MIC.

and some Automated FL STUDIO drums of course.

You can do the same with a piano and your voice.

Newest Song
Style: Glitch Hop/Jazz/ElectronicChocolate Rain Remix!

BBS Signature
Zerobeam
Zerobeam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Home Recording, any advice? Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 04:54 PM Reply

But is the portable recorder worth it?

I mean, does it provide the same quality as a condensor mic would do + preamp?

Sleaze
Sleaze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Home Recording, any advice? Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 05:07 PM Reply

At 6/14/08 03:16 PM, joshhunsaker wrote: If you're going for a portable one - don't pay $400 for something by m-audio. You can pick up a Zoom H4 for half that price (it's open box, but you know).

Thanks for the tip!

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Home Recording, any advice? Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 06:34 PM Reply

At 6/14/08 04:54 PM, Zerobeam wrote: But is the portable recorder worth it?

I mean, does it provide the same quality as a condensor mic would do + preamp?

well - technically - that's exactly what they are. They may not have %100 percent of the sound - but for the price? You'll probably get at least %75 of the quality of a comparable setup costing as much (being that is a mic + preamp combo doesn't include a recording interface normally or flash memory to record to...)