00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mariobros22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Zerovoting and Exposure.

76,340 Views | 607 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-11-04 05:20:40

I remember when this place was more supportive of people just starting out in making music.
Hell back then my music sucked more balls then it does now but the feedback and responses were so much more... friendly, lawl.

I suffer from zero voting as well and i have learned not to give a damn but it is frustrating at times.

I honestly would embrace horrible votes if they just left a comment explaining why... and not just "this sucks ass!"

Anyways, best we can do until something more effective is done with the voting system is constructively criticize and actually give a song a chance before probing ourselves with a long wooden stick and voting 0.

~WOLF~

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-11-10 16:27:52

Ok that makes a lot of sense. I posted this topic on how my music was getting 0 votes but then it went to 3.99... so i felt bad because everone would think i was just wining.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-11-11 14:28:32

FUCKIN SWEET ALL MY BEST SONGS GOT 0 BOMBED!!!!.. every friggin monday night it happenes... one of my songs was 443 with 100 votes.. this morning its 438 with 101 votes...
Oh well keep on truckin

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-11-14 15:59:30

At 11/11/08 02:28 PM, SymbolCymbal wrote: FUCKIN SWEET ALL MY BEST SONGS GOT 0 BOMBED!!!!.. every friggin monday night it happenes... one of my songs was 443 with 100 votes.. this morning its 438 with 101 votes...
Oh well keep on truckin

Welcome to NG or something

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-11-23 11:39:35

Admit it. Our egos demand that we get top 50 or weekly top 5.

If you want a good indicator as to how good your song is, look at the review ratings and downloads. Those are usually "safe" indicators (but of course you can repeatedly download the song, but it won't count on the ratings, so... no).

The sad part is that most good artists have demanding egos. Heck, there are lots of artists that have come and gone. They don't deserve the zeroes, but the zeroes happen.

Oh yeah... I got zeroed twice for a song because it's peaking the Pop chart.

User problem. Yup.

The system at Garageband is fun, actually. You blind-review a song, and you can only rate it 30 or so seconds after. This is a good thing (controlled, "honest" rating system) and a bad thing (no freedom of choice).

Tracking systems aren't good either (invasion of privacy).

Requiring reviews per rating could work. A 1 rating-per-user-per-song for all-time system could work (as opposed to a daily system).

Darn... there's always a loophole (i.e. a certain user can have multiple alts and downvote).

Maybe if we just whore our songs a bit more... hmm... that just might work...

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-11-23 12:04:02

I'm pretty sure alts wouldn't be able to vote if the original artist already voted, because they're all from the same IP address.

What I (and a friend) thought of was, if someone 0 votes, they HAVE to leave a comment saying why they zero voted. In other words, they can't just blindly 0 vote, AND they can only 0 vote ONCE.

Audio-Technica ATH-700Pro Mk2 Headphones User

If you love trance: Kazmo's Beats!

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-12-20 13:25:11

I agree with what Kazmo said except that would attract a little crowd called 1-voters, lol. What I think we should do is, disable voting for the first 10% of the song and if you skip ahead it detects it. After that time period you will be given a choice to vote from 0-5. If the user clicks on 0, 1, or 2 he must give a review where he doesnt get a chance to change his review score. If he votes 0 he has to give a review of 0, if he chooses 1 he can give a review of 1-2, and finally if he chooses 2 he must give a review of 2-4. This still gives them a little choice but they cant vote 0 and give a 10 to cover thier vote. Feel free to add on to this idea.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-12-20 13:28:52

At 11/23/08 12:04 PM, Kazm0 wrote: I'm pretty sure alts wouldn't be able to vote if the original artist already voted, because they're all from the same IP address.

What I (and a friend) thought of was, if someone 0 votes, they HAVE to leave a comment saying why they zero voted. In other words, they can't just blindly 0 vote, AND they can only 0 vote ONCE.

Maybe the same thing with 5's?

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-12-20 15:49:19

What about filtering the 0's out of the calculating of the average score?

If you dont count the .. 5% LOWEST VOTES, in the calculation of your score, then manipulation through zerobombing is.. no longer possible?

A sucky song that has 2/5 and 3/5 will still have a low score, and a person that gets 4/5 and 5/5, and a 0/5 will no longer be raped :O

So.. zerobombing is solved?

Statisticly, to get a good, REPRESENTIVE average, 0's shouldnt be changing the score because mostly theyre not reasonable. They're 'extremes' and shouldnt count.
So just filter them out??

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-12-20 19:02:58

Statisticly, to get a good, REPRESENTIVE average, 0's shouldnt be changing the score because mostly theyre not reasonable. They're 'extremes' and shouldnt count.
So just filter them out??

Agreed

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-12-20 19:09:34

tbh i think the system is fine.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-12-20 19:11:28

At 7/27/08 08:25 PM, reaper-of-ratings wrote: how about this. Make an area on newgrounds where every majorly successful artist has their own link - like the series page has in the flash portal - then just get rid of all the scores and stats.

No more voting scores, no more review scores.

Reset all counters, and then don't display them. Voting power will be negligible since there will be nothing to vote on.

The only way anything will get on the charts will be to actually listen to it - and the counter would only count a person listening to a song once a day - regardless of how many times that day they listened to it.

There would be no zero voting, there would be no five voting. You wouldnt get retarded scores for your reviews - you'd just get reviews - whether they be bad or good - that's all they are in the end. There would be no statwhoring. Noone would have anything to complain about because if people don't listen to your music - then you suck, and you really don't have a right to complain about that.

I like this idea - maybe taking out the voting system altogether will reduce the amount of sabotage we inflict on each other, and maybe even allow us to just simply focus on the music. Personally, I don't like to qualify music with just numbers anyways, and even in reviews I kind of struggle with setting down a score; I'd much rather prefer to just leave comments only.

Latest Sub(s): Kaleidoscinema

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2009-01-05 06:51:04

The only flaw that I see is that people who vote regularly in the Flash Portal gain experience while people who vote in the AP never have the chance to "level up". Personally I don't give two shits about experience points or levels, I would just like the AP to have a separate voting system. that way Users in the AP can better control the scores of other users in the AP. There are some people who have written thousands of reviews in the AP, and only a handful in the FP. I understand that there is a system in place, and in the end, that it is the users that are abusing the system that make it so shitty. I guess my point is this...

Give the AP It's own separate Experience system so that those who call the AP home may have the power in their domain.

and give the AP more trophy opportunities!!!

Smoke me, I'm dope.

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2009-01-05 08:33:55

Give the AP It's own separate Experience system so that those who call the AP home may have the power in their domain.

and give the AP more trophy opportunities!!!

The trophy idea seems kinda cool. But i think they'll use other words like. platinum album or gold album or even worse NG album. that would be nice.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2009-01-05 11:03:32

I really liked the idea that you can only vote after like 30 seconds into hearing the song.

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2009-01-05 13:41:29

wasn´t reading the whole postings, so maybe someone had the same idea:
the loss of voting power:
for 10 votes (for example) you have the full voting power
for the next 5 votes half of the voting power
for the next 5 votes you have 1/4 voting power
then for the rest of your votes you have the normal voting power of a beginner.
maybe combined with the idea of cwn (above).
it makes a bit sense to me, cause I watched, that the big ones here in NG with the big voting power
make the most damage. and we all know, why.
so give the voting power back to the people, who really enjoy our music.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2009-01-05 16:07:02

Zero-Bombers... sigh

are there really people who vote zero on everything?
or is it people thinking of an excuse for their latest song, that they are proud of getting a low score?

I have never known a zero-bomber but in this sense - I have been hit by many. My last song Planetoid has bad score, and an 8/10 review - leaving a comment that should be on a 9/10 review

At first - I thought the people at the audio portal generally didn't like my music, but I don't care if someone reviews with a 0, cause at least they have the guts to admit they don't like it!

anyways -I read we are supposed to talk about construction of music and stuff.
so here:

I find if a good riff repeats, it is more likely for the listener to relate to it and enjoy it;
if a person reapeats that riff too much - it gets boring and annoying, it is this balance that makes beautiful music I find.

Plus - chords are the very structure, normally chords are used that the listener is expecting,
but pull off a nice chord that is not expected - then it is all the more interesting.

Hope everything is ok with the rules of the thread and NG rules xD

oh! and another good way of exposure is this forum - start collabs, meet new people like I have in the last 3 days (the Piano Collab)

>>Zero123Music

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2009-01-24 00:58:01

So I just uploaded a song called ~On Sanity~ and i decide to check up on it and i see one vote and im like YES! I look at the score and its 0.00

All I could do was laugh.

~WOLF~

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2009-02-02 23:21:21

FUCKING SHIT.

I wouldn't have bumped this thread... buttttt.....

I think the motherfucker who made an autozero script a while back is back.

I was just tune-scouting for an RG set I'm about to do... (Another all-ng set).. when I clicked the techno chart.. and noticed a bunch of songs I was looking at completely disappeared.. I then went back in my browser to the last song I was on and noticed it's score had dropped significantly.

I was like.. well.. maybe they're just trying to level out that genre?.. so.. I went back to scouting..

Then.. I shit you not.. like.. 2 minutes later... the same thing happened to trance..

Including mah new song >=[

Whole fucking page at minimum just disappeared.

We seriously need some kind of protection against mass-bombing. It had to be a script. It was a near-instantaneous full wipe of most of NG. I'm assuming from the same IP.

At 1/16/12 03:08 AM, Xyresic wrote: EchozAurora: The SEXY Audio Mod. (2019 edit lol not anymoar)

Check out soundcloud.com/echozaurora for more recent songs and DJ mixes!

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2009-02-03 04:13:42

At 2/2/09 11:21 PM, EchozAurora wrote: I think the motherfucker who made an autozero script a while back is back.

I just saw the weirdest thing:
I was in the dance charts, and when I refreshed, all of a sudden the song on #2 dissapeared :/
I refreshed again, and another song was gone, this kept going on till like 30 songs were gone ..
:/

zero voting script?? Bah! -_-

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2009-02-03 04:40:17

At 2/3/09 04:13 AM, Kr1z wrote:
At 2/2/09 11:21 PM, EchozAurora wrote: I think the motherfucker who made an autozero script a while back is back.
I just saw the weirdest thing:
I was in the dance charts, and when I refreshed, all of a sudden the song on #2 dissapeared :/
I refreshed again, and another song was gone, this kept going on till like 30 songs were gone ..
/
zero voting script?? Bah! -_-

Yeah.. kinda like how there is a post limit on an IP... we need something similar for voting to prevent this from happening.

Like.. I dunno.. 5 votes per 30 minutes. That'll make scripts harder to make.. and less effective. It'll slow down mass-voting in general too, which couldn't hurt.

Oh yeah.. btw.. been spinnin your tunes Kr1z on RG. Good stuff.

At 1/16/12 03:08 AM, Xyresic wrote: EchozAurora: The SEXY Audio Mod. (2019 edit lol not anymoar)

Check out soundcloud.com/echozaurora for more recent songs and DJ mixes!

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2009-02-03 05:32:05

At 2/3/09 04:40 AM, EchozAurora wrote: Like.. I dunno.. 5 votes per 30 minutes. That'll make scripts harder to make.. and less effective. It'll slow down mass-voting in general too, which couldn't hurt.

Good idea!

Oh yeah.. btw.. been spinnin your tunes Kr1z on RG. Good stuff.

Hihi thx ;D I'll tune in some time

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2009-02-03 05:34:31

just vote every song 5 like I do, kkthxbye.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2009-02-03 05:38:18

At 2/3/09 05:34 AM, PianoForte wrote: just vote every song 5 like I do, kkthxbye.

Reminds me of the 5 team, who voted 5 on every song (that had at least effort in it)
There was soo much hating against our team that we had to stop it :S

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2009-02-11 14:02:55

I've been rather easy with what you can say in this thread, but it is NOT supposed to be a thread for WHINING about zero-voters - frankly, that shit don't belong on the forums.
Serious discussion do belong in here - but whine you can do in your godforsaken blog, see if anyone cares above the "OMFG I GUT HIT TOO" comment.

auto-zero script is a bullshit rumour that started out of nowhere. Some just think it's nice to have something to cry about, when their songs get struck down with zeros.

"autozeroscript" = boogeyman; nonexistant.
Please do not bring autozero-script up unlesss you have PROOF that something is going on. And if you DO have, direct to a moderator, or IN CASE THE PROOF IS ABSOLUTLEY COMPLETLEY BULLETPROOF - to an admin. If there is the slightest doubt, contact a mod in the first place, we've heard and seen more than most regulars and can possibly come with a reasonable explanation. If not, we will let you know so you can contact an admin yourself. This is only to spare the time of the admins, so they can work on real NG-features instead of chasing ghosts and imaginary scripts..

Wakka wakka

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2009-02-11 14:10:53

I'm not really sure if we can exclude zero-voting scripts as a whole, R. I mean, if you take a look at the Industrial section, you'll see that the score is dropping every single day. And I should know, because I'm the kind of guy that checks his scores all of the time (read: egocentric), so I can freely say that the ENTIRE genre drops by roughly -0.01 every few days. I can't accept the fact that I live on the same planet with someone who is ready to downvote every sing in a genre on a daily basis. As small as penises tend to get, that would be a little over the top.

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2009-02-11 14:20:53

scripts such as that would easily be discovered by the admins, and dropping scores is in no way a proof for such existances.

when the redesign hit, you could vote on songs more than once - one unique vote was all you had before. so, naturally people started to upvote their stuff, and i mean, compare the scores with flash-portal submissions... 4.10 is something REALLY GOOD in there, in the AP it's possibly somewhat mediocre. The system needs more time and votes to even things out, the biggest "problem" is that there aren't enough people voting in the first place, to level the scores out and make them decent. This is why there are rathe big differences in the scores from day to day.

however, the forum is still no place to spread rumours that noone can verify.

Wakka wakka

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2009-02-11 16:36:32

i really dont care about zero bombers anymore... but it woul be cool to have separate icons fr audio aritist or separate icons for audio voting.. kinda like the level up flash system.. yeah its been said before .. yeah i know wrong thread.. yeah i know red wine makes people loopy .. yeah i know drinking red bull with it IS NOT a good idea

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2009-02-12 13:49:49

At 2/11/09 05:41 PM, Bjra wrote: zero bombers blow ass. but everyone in this thread has done it.

EVERYONE

so stop whining. I have, and I'm much happier nao!

speak for yourself, I give my zeros comparing works, I usually hand out five to most of the songs I ear, to flash it could go the same, besides don't go whining when someone zero-votes you!!! just go and ask for someone to five-vote you XD

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2009-02-12 16:47:33

Hmm... having to submit a comment on why the song was bombed zero is a good idea, and having comments when voting 5's on songs is good as well. This can help eliminate users who vote on their own songs hoping for Top 30 or Weekly Top 5.