00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Zerovoting and Exposure.

76,341 Views | 607 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-07 13:43:10

At 2/7/11 01:37 PM, hollohill wrote: Is it because if every song had 5's it would ruin the way the audio is organized?

im all for it, i will join you.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-07 14:11:15

At 2/7/11 01:43 PM, Calamaistr wrote:
At 2/7/11 01:37 PM, hollohill wrote: Is it because if every song had 5's it would ruin the way the audio is organized?
im all for it, i will join you.

> mfw I help raise a bunch of audio submissions to the mid 3's instead of 1's and 2's.

Zerovoting and Exposure.

I may be stupid, but I'm also dumb.

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-08 12:29:25

I was wondering, are there people like me who do not 5 their own work, just never vote on it.. well perhaps eventually like a month later when their bored.

just wondering.

Its also cool to see i keep getting 10s in random reviews and my tracks scores are around 1.5 / 2.5

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-08 12:45:55

At 2/8/11 12:29 PM, Calamaistr wrote: I was wondering, are there people like me who do not 5 their own work, just never vote on it.. well perhaps eventually like a month later when their bored.

just wondering.

Its also cool to see i keep getting 10s in random reviews and my tracks scores are around 1.5 / 2.5

I stopped voting on my own songs years ago when I thought it was bad luck (now I believe it's bad practice :P). But yeah, I notice the review thing too. I'll have songs with 1.6 or 2.1 and they'll have 7-10 in reviews.

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-08 12:48:00

You know what I've noticed? Almost every single song I see on my 5-bombing excursions that have 1 vote is always 0.00. It's like someone is just waiting and watching the audio portal at all times, or maybe it's automatic or something? I smell a conspiracy.

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-08 14:58:57

At 2/8/11 12:48 PM, hollohill wrote: It's like someone is just waiting and watching the audio portal at all times...

This being the internet, and the internet being heavily populated by people with no social lives, yeah, I think that's pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-09 12:03:12

At 2/8/11 12:48 PM, hollohill wrote: You know what I've noticed? Almost every single song I see on my 5-bombing excursions that have 1 vote is always 0.00. It's like someone is just waiting and watching the audio portal at all times, or maybe it's automatic or something? I smell a conspiracy.

they are always gonna be people that like it and there will always be people that hate it

apparently I'm clever enough to declare myself as a dumbass

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-09 13:26:12

At 2/9/11 12:03 PM, dontpanic01 wrote:
At 2/8/11 12:48 PM, hollohill wrote: You know what I've noticed? Almost every single song I see on my 5-bombing excursions that have 1 vote is always 0.00. It's like someone is just waiting and watching the audio portal at all times, or maybe it's automatic or something? I smell a conspiracy.
they are always gonna be people that like it and there will always be people that hate it

and for every person who hates it there are 5 people who voted it down without really listening to it and making up an opinion

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-09 14:49:29

There are scripts that vote 0 on a certain genre at a specific time everyday.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-12 13:51:56

At 2/7/11 10:19 AM, Chronamut wrote: or perhaps it means your music isn't as good as you think it is calamaistr and that every song on newgrounds has a shelf life before it degenerates, just like all songs did before the 2007 redesign.

your stuff isn't god - and won't stay at the top forever. Also your leaving the site means that your job at promoting your own music was lacknig, thus your fans probably didn't keep listening to your music, thus they didn't 5 your songs to balance it out.

a lot of this site is really about also promoting yourself and notifying your fans when you have new stuff out. It's not just sit back, submit and watch all the fandom flow in. It might have been that way in the past but unless you're a notorious user people won't come flooding anymore, because they may think you stopped submitting altogether and thus no longer check up on you.

what I want to see is a "sent to all fans" fudction in your inbox where you can say "hey I made a new song - <link> go check it out!

for someone like me with over 1200 fans, it' be a huge feedback venue to take advantage of.

Me being a nobody to this site, I would still like to say I completely agree with your last suggestion of a mass message option. It would save a lot of time and would help out a lot (even for me with like 20 fans) it is a great feature design on other websites and helps keep all the fans up to date on the new goodies.

Positive feedback, positive feedback!!

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-13 19:28:06

If Newgrounds had some easy way to communicate with your fans, I'd use NG instead of ReverbNation entirely. So, /third.

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-13 19:35:40

Excellent thread Rucko, I've been victim to a lot of zero bombers... But haven't we all?
It's a silly thing for me to offer you guys, but if you ever want you can PM me the link to your song and I will vote fairly, and if it's possible I will leave you a review! I struggle reviewing some genres as they aren't the main genre I focus on in listening to and creating music.
Also, the Review Request Club will be able to help you guys out, by leaving you criticism and usually voting on your audio submissions as well. I'm a member of the club on my other account and I'm sure we'd all be happy to have you guys request your submissions for review!

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-13 20:01:01

i got this idea today,

voting power in the AP is independent from the flash portal, and your voting power only increases by writing reviews.

And you get bonus voting xp when people deem that review helpful.

Just a thought.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-13 20:14:53

At 2/13/11 08:01 PM, jpbear wrote: i got this idea today,

voting power in the AP is independent from the flash portal, and your voting power only increases by writing reviews.

i don't think that would be a good idea because we will have a lot of people doing 3 word reviews just to get their review count higher.

Just take a look at Ultor's amazing complete reviews

=(

Music is my passion , not my business.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-13 20:37:33

At 2/13/11 08:14 PM, Acid-Paradox wrote:
At 2/13/11 08:01 PM, jpbear wrote: i got this idea today,

i don't think that would be a good idea because we will have a lot of people doing 3 word reviews just to get their review count higher.

Just take a look at Ultor's amazing complete reviews

=(

ya to counter that you wouldnt get much xp from just writing the review(maybe a correlation between xp and word count?). But frm whether people vote it a helpful, or the author voting it a helpful review. I know Mich's audio portal has a similair system to that.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-13 20:50:44

At 2/13/11 08:37 PM, jpbear wrote: ya to counter that you wouldn't get much xp from just writing the review(maybe a correlation between xp and word count?). But from whether people vote it a helpful, or the author voting it a helpful review. I know Mich's audio portal has a similar system to that.

Yeah, maybe it could be like you can get a certain amount xp for each grounds gold day, let's say 10 reviews will give you "x" xp but you will have to wait till the end of grounds gold day till you can get xp from reviews, but you can still make reviews though.

Now i have been thinking on something, what if they could add a rule of "you must write a review if you're going to vote 0 , telling why you think this song deserves it.

I think that should get rid of some zero bombers but then once again we would have people making a 3 word review with a score of 10 but then voting 0 just for the "lulz".
I don't know a thing about programming but yeah that was just a thought that i had weeks ago , i know it has flaws but i just wanted to share it with you.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-14 06:39:36

At 2/7/11 10:19 AM, Chronamut wrote: what I want to see is a "sent to all fans" fudction in your inbox where you can say "hey I made a new song - <link> go check it out!

for someone like me with over 1200 fans, it' be a huge feedback venue to take advantage of.

Excellent idea, I'd love to have that feature too.
Is there any staff member we can talk to and ask for this feature?

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-14 09:44:51

How about having to write a review if youre going to vote whatsoever.
That way people actually ahve to listen to your music, and if they just spam some hershaherpa in the comment box they are emediately busted.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-14 16:35:14

At 2/14/11 09:44 AM, Calamaistr wrote: How about having to write a review if youre going to vote whatsoever.
That way people actually ahve to listen to your music, and if they just spam some hershaherpa in the comment box they are emediately busted.

What if one reviews
"I vote 0 on your songs cuz I'm jealous and I don't want you to get any exposure" :P

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-15 09:35:25

if people zero vote out of jealousy, then this is one cruel place.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-15 09:48:11

At 2/15/11 09:35 AM, LfunkeyA wrote: if people zero vote out of jealousy, then this is one cruel place.

welcome to newgrounds

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-15 14:44:35

At 2/15/11 09:48 AM, Acid-Paradox wrote:
At 2/15/11 09:35 AM, LfunkeyA wrote: if people zero vote out of jealousy, then this is one cruel place.
welcome to newgrounds

Every time someone -- the actual AP system -- zero-bombs one of my compositions, I will take it to mean their jealous. Just my way of makin' it through another day :P

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-05-30 07:30:58

At 2/15/11 02:44 PM, RampantMusik wrote:
At 2/15/11 09:48 AM, Acid-Paradox wrote:
welcome to newgrounds
Every time someone -- the actual AP system -- zero-bombs one of my compositions, I will take it to mean their jealous. Just my way of makin' it through another day :P

Two of my recent submissions got zero-bombed over three times each in the span of five hours. I think I'll try to take that as a compliment now.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-06-01 21:22:57

honestly i do believe some revamp is past due for the voting system in the AP.

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.

"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-07-08 05:22:04

Lets say (to make things easier for myself) that a user starts with a 5 score. If 4 other user vote that down with a 1, then it becomes a 1.5 average score. So it evens out very quickly if the song is just being voted up by the user. However if someone drops a SINGLE 0 bomb on you then it would take 24 people to vote 5 to even bring you back to a 4.8 (that's 25 votes of 5 and one vote of 0). Now, any song with 25 5 votes and one 0 has blatantly been 0 bombed, and that's a really unlikely example, but you can plainly see that a massively negative vote has a far greater impact than a fair vote. This example also doesn't take repeat voting and weighting into account either.

It's simple really, anyone taking the time to vote a 0 on ANYTHING is doing so for underhand reasons. If you hate a song, then a 1 is low enough, no matter what you think about it, the producer took time and effort to make it and that deserves SOME score at least. For me, actually taking time out of your day to go into a song and vote it 0 is just spiteful and allowing people to do this day in and day out is wrong.

The site should have implemented a system to occasionally weed out accounts which vote 0 on a higher ratio than the average at least. If an account does this on a regular basis, votes 0 more than once on a song or does it consistently over a period of time, then you know what; their input is not good input and it's not helping anyone on the site.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-07-08 06:11:44

Anyway, I read through the first page of this thread and the last and I have a suggestion to make which may help reduce the amount of zerobombers. I'm sorry if this has already been suggested, I just don't want to look through the other 20 pages.

If a user votes anything from 0-2 on a submission they will be required to write a review stating why they thought the submission was worth such a low score. the vote will not be added to the score until the review is submitted.

Two things may result from this;
1. A user will actually write a proper, honest review on why they think the submission sucks. This sort of response I think would be more acceptable than a simple low vote and will give the submitter a chance to see what they did wrong.

2. A user will put nonsense in a review and will probably not make sense, (what a true zerobomber would do). If these "nonsense" reviews are flagged or considered useless by too many users then the vote and the review score should automatically be deleted.

The reason I put the range of 0-2 voting is because a score of anything less than 3 seems low. If this seems like a good idea to most people then I hope it will reach the site moderators. Hope I helped!

- If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot.

- Being organised is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-07-21 00:06:23

Had an idea before which I thought would be a good system for the AP.

What if we only had a 'Like' button on every song? It's simple, the more likes you get, the further up the charts your song moves. If someone doesn't like it, they can simply just leave the page. Yeah, you'd have to take away people's ability to vote on their own songs but I think this idea would put a stop to zero bombing without too much of a change to the system, wouldn't it?

I know this will never happen but it's just a thought.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-07-21 07:59:50

At 7/21/11 12:06 AM, Nechura wrote: Had an idea before which I thought would be a good system for the AP.

What if we only had a 'Like' button on every song? It's simple, the more likes you get, the further up the charts your song moves. If someone doesn't like it, they can simply just leave the page. Yeah, you'd have to take away people's ability to vote on their own songs but I think this idea would put a stop to zero bombing without too much of a change to the system, wouldn't it?

I know this will never happen but it's just a thought.

Kinda like my idea of disabling the voting panel and being able to 'recommend' a track to go into the Top 5. Once the Top 5 is chosen (which will be the top 5 songs with the most recommendations), the voting panel is then enabled on all tracks submitted throughout the week.

If they also make a link to the songs submitted throughout the week (i.e. all the submissions with their voting panel disabled at the time) and make it possible to sort that list via name, genre, date and number of recommendations, then the whole system might just work. 0-bombers can't negatively affect submissions, and we can have a list of all songs submitted throughout a particular week which we can sort via different fields so that the week's submissions get more exposure before the Top 5 is chosen.

Supposedly, however, for the redesign the admins thought of a way to fix the 0-bombing/exposure problem I think, so at this point we can just wait and see what's in store for us.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2012-01-01 17:16:13

This may or may not work for 0 bombing... but hear me out.

Why not keep a log of everyone who's voted on a certain song on that song's page. Like right down next to the 0-5 icons with little yellow text that reads "see who voted". When that little yellow text is clicked, a separate window pops up with a list of everyone's username who's voted. Included on that list is the score they voted, and how long they remained on the page before voting.

I don't know why voters have to be kept private, and by doing this 0 bombers can be weeded out and either banned or punished, their ability to vote stripped from them, or perhaps made public on a forum of all known 0 bombers.

However this is just a thought... and I haven't been keeping up on what the NG redesign entails, or if it's been established on what's going to be done about the AP voting redesign... but yeah. Any input on this idea?

Like us at: Facebook | Download at: Bandcamp | Watch us at: Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2012-01-01 17:38:02

At 1/1/12 05:16 PM, montehawks wrote: This may or may not work for 0 bombing... but hear me out.

Why not keep a log of everyone who's voted on a certain song on that song's page. Like right down next to the 0-5 icons with little yellow text that reads "see who voted". When that little yellow text is clicked, a separate window pops up with a list of everyone's username who's voted. Included on that list is the score they voted, and how long they remained on the page before voting.

I don't know why voters have to be kept private, and by doing this 0 bombers can be weeded out and either banned or punished, their ability to vote stripped from them, or perhaps made public on a forum of all known 0 bombers.

However this is just a thought... and I haven't been keeping up on what the NG redesign entails, or if it's been established on what's going to be done about the AP voting redesign... but yeah. Any input on this idea?

Getting zero-bombed is a time honoured tradition here at Newgrounds. The only, and BEST thing to do to coutner it, is ignore it. Don't judge yoru song's worth by it's score alone, or at all. It's the reviews, and the support of the audio community that matters.

The above has been explained multiple times before...