New Topic Respond to this Topic
Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 12:57 AM Reply

At 6/6/11 10:35 AM, raveninskyprime wrote: So how long did it take to make such a composition? It must have taken a decent amount of time. You mentioned you had a friend work on this with you, did you have a good idea of what it would look like before it was finished or did you too improvise as you went?

The entire thing was entirely spontaneous and not preconceived! We just decided to doodle together, and our drawings interacted with each other, we drew in between the other's doodles, which makes it look like it fits more. As for time, it took a few hours. Probably 2 or 3? I don't know.. I didn't keep track, hehe.

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Jun. 11th, 2011 @ 11:13 PM Reply

Scratchboard comic!
The original ending involved him being a mangled corpse at the bottom with a trampoline off to the side, and a small child with ice cream being scarred at the situation, but the teacher did not approve.
Art Portal :D

Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Jul. 25th, 2011 @ 03:19 AM Reply

Flyer I made. Probably bad quality, but whatevs.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Jul. 25th, 2011 @ 07:21 AM Reply

At 5/15/11 04:26 AM, Spaghetti14 wrote: I'm proud of this one! I did it for my cartooning class. I'm just gonna copypaste the description I used from the portal version, which you can find here! Please vote on it/leave a critique while you're there if you like.

That's cool, I recognized him before looking at the references, so that's a good thing. I like the newspaper background on the shaded pencil one! What you did though, is make the same drawing 4 times with different techniques/materials, which to me seems different from how you described the assignment. As you mentioned yourself it's more of an abstraction than a caricature, That's cool though; I'm not a big fan of caricatures.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Jul. 25th, 2011 @ 07:42 AM Reply

Ugh I was a bit late commenting to that one eh?....

At 6/11/11 11:13 PM, Spaghetti14 wrote: Scratchboard comic!
The original ending involved him being a mangled corpse at the bottom with a trampoline off to the side, and a small child with ice cream being scarred at the situation, but the teacher did not approve.

This looks really cool, well executed; but it doesn't read at all to me. It's very hard to understand what's going on, I don't think I would have figured it out without the description of the trampoline and stuff. Also: the scan/picture seems a bit fuzzy, making the small text hard to read.

At 7/25/11 03:19 AM, Spaghetti14 wrote: Flyer I made. Probably bad quality, but whatevs.

I like this idea; but you should prolly make the important text a bit bigger as well as colored so that it pops even more. Besides that there is still quite some empty space at the sides; maybe you could spice things up a bit by moving the character to the left and moving the speach bubble down a bit, maybe make it a double cloud with the last sentence (entrance fee) in a second bubble... see pic.

BBS Signature
Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Jul. 26th, 2011 @ 06:19 AM Reply

At 7/25/11 07:21 AM, J-qb wrote: That's cool, I recognized him before looking at the references, so that's a good thing.

Indeed, thanks!

I like the newspaper background on the shaded pencil one! What you did though, is make the same drawing 4 times with different techniques/materials, which to me seems different from how you described the assignment.

Maybe I described it poorly then. The teacher actually told us to trace our original drawing 4 times and just shade/color it with the different techniques.

This looks really cool, well executed; but it doesn't read at all to me. It's very hard to understand what's going on, I don't think I would have figured it out without the description of the trampoline and stuff. Also: the scan/picture seems a bit fuzzy, making the small text hard to read.

Yeah, I agree with all this. I have no idea what I'm doing regarding writing comics, so it doesn't read much to me either. Essentially, it's about a guy who the reader comes to believe is suicidal. You think he jumps off the building, but in reality, he just drops his ice cream. Yeah, I know it's not funny. I was on a time constraint for the class. I still think it looks neat though too, thanks :)

I like this idea; but you should prolly make the important text a bit bigger as well as colored so that it pops even more. Besides that there is still quite some empty space at the sides; maybe you could spice things up a bit by moving the character to the left and moving the speach bubble down a bit, maybe make it a double cloud with the last sentence (entrance fee) in a second bubble... see pic.

Whoa man. That makes it so much better! I'll have to keep that in mind next time I make something similar to this (It's too late to change it now, I submitted this to my art thread a bit late). Thanks for the tip! Wow, you gave lots of good advice. Thanks man!

Here is the folio I made for this year's yearbook. If you are unfamiliar as I was before making this, a folio is what goes in the corner of the page to alert you of the number of the page. I did not paint the colors, I simply designed the shape and placement of the wave/numbers. Once my friend does some watercolors for the yearbook, we are going to scan it and use that texture instead of this placeholder image I found and modified off of google.

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Jul. 31st, 2011 @ 06:40 PM Reply

New flyer design. If you care enough, you could probably come stalk us or something cause I"m not bothering censoring the information. I didn't design the "KTUB" logo, that's the logo of the venue.

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Aug. 3rd, 2011 @ 10:59 AM Reply

Nice design, I feel it's a little empty around the edges, but it works. I'd kind of like to see an interactive version of it. It just has that feel to it..

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Aug. 12th, 2011 @ 05:32 AM Reply

At 8/3/11 10:59 AM, esko-man wrote: Nice design, I feel it's a little empty around the edges, but it works. I'd kind of like to see an interactive version of it. It just has that feel to it..

Thanks for the feedback! I agree, it could have used more of a background/border, but it's aight.

So from the 7th to the 10th, I went to an awesome journalism camp, since I'mma be in my school's newspaper next year as a designer/artist. The graphic design teacher there was SUPER awesome, I learned so much about composition as well as how to use illustrator/the pen tool to make vector images. I can trace things and make my own things now!

Heres something I did in Illustrator of my dog, and then I took the photo I used and put it on top with an overlay layer style at about 50% transparency to give it some of the original texture/shading. I'm not saying it's the most talented thing, but I think it looks pretty cool!

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Aug. 12th, 2011 @ 05:34 AM Reply

Here's an infographic I made about water consumption, it was part of a learning exercise in Illustrator.

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Aug. 12th, 2011 @ 05:35 AM Reply

This was the first thing I learned in Illustrator. I traced a shoe. No big deal, but now I can do that n' stuff.

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Aug. 19th, 2011 @ 06:20 AM Reply

Made art for friends' band "Fringe Shift" in illustrator/photoshop!
CRIT MAH SHIT, PL0X.

Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Aug. 19th, 2011 @ 12:40 PM Reply

The lines you have aren't really being "completed" on the left, it kinda just stops instead of running into the green I think you should fix that. The line also bends on the right, like the shap of the cup is off, probably pinches a bit too far on the left also.

I also really don't like that font because it doesn't seem integrated with everything else

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Aug. 19th, 2011 @ 03:13 PM Reply

At 8/19/11 12:40 PM, Knocturne wrote: The lines you have aren't really being "completed" on the left, it kinda just stops instead of running into the green I think you should fix that. The line also bends on the right, like the shap of the cup is off, probably pinches a bit too far on the left also.

I also really don't like that font because it doesn't seem integrated with everything else

I guess I see what you mean. I'm a bit lazy to fix it at this point, but thanks for pointing out my mistakes. Also, I took the photo that I used as a reference, so it's pretty accurate as to what the cup looked like, but I guess it doesn't translate well.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of the font either, but it's the font they use in their logo, and they always make me use that one, so whatcha gonna do :P

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Aug. 19th, 2011 @ 03:14 PM Reply

I think the problem isnt so much with the font as it is with the amount of curvature on it... I'd say it needs to be curved more to match the coffee cup

BBS Signature
Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Oct. 19th, 2011 @ 09:16 AM Reply

New art by me?!? Holy crap! I've actually been doing a lot of art lately for my classes, I just haven't bothered to scan it all in yet. I'll probably do a mass scanxodus around the holidays when I'm on break. But yeah.. Here's this!

It was for my IB Art class, we had to base a piece around a randomly selected title. My title was "Manhattan Bridge With Fog", so uh.. yeah! It took a while to do, and I got lots of helpful input from Cloudeater, Aigis, and Dark!

Apparently I can't actually post it here because it's in CMYK instead of RGB, so here's the art portal link.

Here's the background I used for it at least! Look how fascinating it is, now you totally want to see the whole thing in the art portal, right?

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Oct. 19th, 2011 @ 09:31 AM Reply

At 10/19/11 09:16 AM, Spaghetti14 wrote: It was for my IB Art class, we had to base a piece around a randomly selected title. My title was "Manhattan Bridge With Fog", so uh.. yeah! It took a while to do, and I got lots of helpful input from Cloudeater, Aigis, and Dark!

Very cool, the character could stand out from the background a bit more though, it's barely visible atm. looking forward to see what else you made.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Oct. 19th, 2011 @ 09:45 AM Reply

At 10/19/11 09:16 AM, Spaghetti14 wrote: Here's the background I used for it at least! Look how fascinating it is, now you totally want to see the whole thing in the art portal, right?

So I'm guessing the front was what you did in illustrator last night?
What was the background made using?

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Oct. 19th, 2011 @ 10:46 PM Reply

At 10/19/11 09:31 AM, J-qb wrote: Very cool, the character could stand out from the background a bit more though, it's barely visible atm. looking forward to see what else you made.

I agree, he does have a little trouble being separated from the background! I'll look into that I s'pose.

At 10/19/11 09:45 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: So I'm guessing the front was what you did in illustrator last night?
What was the background made using?

Yeah, the front is all Illustrator/Photoshop.
The background was made with watercolor paints and photoshop. I colored the whole thing yellow, and painted quick black streaks. The texture in the paper made it look like buildings with windows. I used photoshop to layer some of those building paintings and change it from yellow to pink.

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Dec. 5th, 2011 @ 11:06 PM Reply

Posted this in the portal a while back, but never in my art thread, and a good excuse for a bump since I've decided to post at least once a day in here :D

It's an insert for a cd of my friends' band Fringe Shift. They're currently out a drummer, but I made this before that happened. Oh well! There's other art that goes with this, but most people didn't seem too enthused, especially in the portal. Maybe I'll post a pic of the actual cd sometime. Anyways this was my favorite piece that I did for it! I'm somewhat proud of it in fact.

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Dec. 5th, 2011 @ 11:09 PM Reply

Also, here's what I ended up doing with that watercolour background I posted a few images up. I like it kinda, but I imagined it to be a bit more dramatic, and the guy blends in too much with the background. Oh well! You learn somethin' new with each project.

Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Dec. 5th, 2011 @ 11:40 PM Reply

I really like that cd art.

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Dec. 6th, 2011 @ 09:41 AM Reply

At 12/5/11 11:06 PM, Spaghetti14 wrote: Anyways this was my favorite piece that I did for it! I'm somewhat proud of it in fact.

I like this. It's very clean and very neat.
Also, I like the fact how it's mostly black. Some albums can't pull off a look of being mostly empty space, but in this case, it works well; no text, just empty space.

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 02:16 AM Reply

At 12/5/11 11:40 PM, Knocturne wrote: I really like that cd art.

Thanks Knoc! Glad someone appreciates it!

At 12/6/11 04:15 AM, Larkatosa wrote: You seem to have pointed things out yourself. :P
Maybe you should have made him grey? Or maybe white even. I was expecting to see some really badass smoke screen from that cigarette for some reason. I don't know why.

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed with the composition, but whatcha gonna do, eh?

I think his outstretched leg is much longer then then the other leg in a 90 degree angel. I measured, and it's the "thigh" that is shorter on the 90 degree leg. But I am just being nitpicking and want to say something constructive. I don't care if you ain't perfect :P

Hehe, thanks for finding that out for me. The legs do seem a bit off, don't they? Oh well. I never want to touch this picture again!

I really like that watch. At first I thought it was a design of The Rabbit's watch in Wonderland. But then I saw it was a CD design. It looks very empty with all the black, but I assume the actually CD has text on it.

The CD has text on it, but not on that portion. The negative space is intended.

The Fringe Shift cup - It is very hard to see what it is in the background. At first I thought it was sitting on a pole outdoors or something. And since that made no sense to me it was a bit confusing. I also find the blurry background distracting. I do like the texture and shape of the mug. And the style of Fringe Shift.

The background is the original photo of the coffee cup on a table, but extremely blurred. I suppose it is a bit distracting, but I wasn't too sure what else to use instead.

Maybe I should look that band up ...

You could! I designed their website a while back. Although, they are fairly inactive right now as they do not have a drummer.

That water usage measurement is simple but good. Maybe I would have added some air bubbles to make it less boring. Maybe you should have drawn them in different kind of glasses and the USA as a tanker. But then again, you are working with differently shaped glass of water.

Yeah, we were on a fairly limited time budget, but I think it's nice to have them all be the same sort of glass just so it is a more clear comparison between the two glasses rather than 2 different glasses entirely. I like your idea though.

I have always been a fan of your work. :B

D'aww :3 Thanks Lark!

Keep it up Spagh! Beat that art block! Beat it to the ground!!

Haha, thanks! I don't think I'm in too much of a block, why, do I seem like I am?

At 12/6/11 09:41 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: I like this. It's very clean and very neat.
Also, I like the fact how it's mostly black. Some albums can't pull off a look of being mostly empty space, but in this case, it works well; no text, just empty space.

Yay! I'm glad you like it too. Those are the parts I like about it too. Also keep in mind this isn't the actual cover, it's the little insert that goes on the inside of the cover. But yeah! Sweet action.

Now that I've replied to all of you lovely folk, I can share with you my newest creation. I made it with REAL LIVE PAINT and stuff. Exciting, yes? After I finished painting it (this is what I presented to my class), I opened it up in Photoshop and messed around with my original reference photo, merged 'em a bit (for texture/lighting), and ended up with this!

We were supposed to create our own style based off of inspiration from other artists' methods. I was going to originally add in more significant photo elements to create a contrast between paint/photo, but I didn't have the resources. One artist who does really cool 'paint in the middle of photo' things is Maksimov Dmitry, I like his style a lot.

Ramatsu
Ramatsu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 02:24 AM Reply

at 1st i thought it were an egg planet! maybe because of the black you got on the piece itself. i like how you merged the original and photoshopped. Not traditional or digital its in between more like tradigital. i like the feel of your art, keep it up bud.

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.
My art thread
My comic thread

BBS Signature
Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 10:41 PM Reply

At 12/10/11 02:24 AM, Ramatsu wrote: at 1st i thought it were an egg planet! maybe because of the black you got on the piece itself. i like how you merged the original and photoshopped. Not traditional or digital its in between more like tradigital. i like the feel of your art, keep it up bud.

Yeah, it reminds me of space too! Also, I like the word you made.

Found this gem from my childhood today, thought I'd share it with everyone. I don't know why my parents kept me around, it's pretty creepy for a little kid, I'd think...

Ramatsu
Ramatsu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 10:52 PM Reply

At 12/10/11 10:41 PM, Spaghetti14 wrote:
Found this gem from my childhood today, thought I'd share it with everyone. I don't know why my parents kept me around, it's pretty creepy for a little kid, I'd think...

lol! and i didn't make the word if your speaking of "tradigital" from what i see it show's a pretty good imagination. also abit creepy >.>..

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.
My art thread
My comic thread

BBS Signature
Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Dec. 23rd, 2011 @ 04:50 PM Reply

Happy holidays everyone!

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Dec. 30th, 2011 @ 10:33 PM Reply

I doodled a squid while at a restaurant.

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Dec. 31st, 2011 @ 01:06 AM Reply

Considering it's the final day of 2011, I thought I'd take a little bit of time to finalise the little character/icon guy that I've been doodling for the past 4 years now. You've probably seen him floating around in at least one of my pieces. He doesn't really signify anything super important, but I've been drawing him throughout my 'coming of age' so to speak, so I'm a bit sentimental towards him, and I think it's time for me to grow up/move on/yada yada yada, so may I present to you - my little unnamed doodle dude! Let's start the new year on a fresh and original note!