bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Dec. 31st, 2011 @ 11:30 AM Reply

At 12/30/11 10:33 PM, Spaghetti14 wrote: I doodled a squid while at a restaurant.

I hope it was a seafood restaurant, hahaha.

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Jan. 12th, 2012 @ 12:21 AM Reply

Happy new year! I made this as a header for my school's newspaper humour section. It is tradition to include a hidden butt in the header, cause like.. Ya know.. Butt cheek. So yeah! Typography or something!

Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Jan. 12th, 2012 @ 12:58 AM Reply

These are some icons I made a few months ago but didn't get around to uploading. I didn't submit these to the portal because I don't think they would like it much there, but I imagine the switch from cmyk to rgb ruined the quality on this picture, so here's a link of a cmyk version, just in case!

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Jan. 12th, 2012 @ 11:46 AM Reply

At 1/12/12 12:58 AM, Spaghetti14 wrote: These are some icons I made a few months ago but didn't get around to uploading. I didn't submit these to the portal because I don't think they would like it much there, but I imagine the switch from cmyk to rgb ruined the quality on this picture, so here's a link of a cmyk version, just in case!

Now you just need programs for those icons.

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Feb. 4th, 2012 @ 01:33 AM Reply

At 1/12/12 11:46 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 1/12/12 12:58 AM, Spaghetti14 wrote: These are some icons I made a few months ago but didn't get around to uploading. I didn't submit these to the portal because I don't think they would like it much there, but I imagine the switch from cmyk to rgb ruined the quality on this picture, so here's a link of a cmyk version, just in case!
Now you just need programs for those icons.

Some sort of diving app, I guess!

Alrighty, here's a poster I made for a scholarship competition! The theme for it is "You can create tomorrow" and the prerequisites for the competition are to make a poster around that theme, and write a 300-500 word statement on a personal interpretation of the theme.

I know the shading is off and stuff, I'm still learning, and I messed up, but I think it looks neat, so I'm done with it. Plus, I've already submitted it, so there's not much I can do now anyway.

So, uh... yeah! Here's my statement and poster:

Space! Art! Adventure! The paintbrush is a universal symbol of creativity and visual arts, while the rocket ship is a universal symbol of unexplored territory, of the future. In this poster, I wanted to create a catchy graphic which would amalgamate these two concepts of creativity and the future while retaining aesthetic finesse. We see that art helps to drive ideas in a way that directly affects and correlates with the future.

Many people carry personal ideas and tastes of what art signifies to them, and lately, the ideas of art and technology crossing over have been growing more prevalent. The rocket ship also signifies the integration of technology into art and design, as more and more ideas involving art revolve around technology. Digital art is a fairly recent venture, and as technology expands, so does the need for art created digitally. The influence of digital art upon traditional art and other digital art interestingly shows how we can continue to evolve using old ideas, new ideas, and reinterpretations of those ideas.

The paintbrush also represents the colour and influence that we leave upon the world as we learn more. The bright colours in the foreground are like the splashes of paint and the imprint that we leave on the new and unknown. It contrasts the dark and empty void that is the background, and the contrast helps the foreground to stand out, just as art stands out in what sometimes seems like an empty void. Art can help to give meaning and inspiration to people, it provokes emotion that could otherwise remain dormant.

The relationship between creativity and the future is very synergetic and circular. Creativity changes the future, and the future inspires new creativity. This inspiration can help drive people to create tomorrow. Anybody can create tomorrow, and I believe my poster demonstrates my drive for excellence and that I am more than ready to help create tomorrow.

Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Feb. 4th, 2012 @ 01:39 AM Reply

At 2/4/12 01:33 AM, Spaghetti14 wrote: So, uh... yeah! Here's my statement and poster:

Sounds like a lot of eloquent bull.

In a good way :D

I think you have a good chance for that scholarship, good luck!

Also, it looks nice :3
Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 03:30 AM Reply

There was a thread in the art forum a week or two ago where a guy wanted an ambigram of his name. Someone else had fulfilled his request, but it made me want to do an ambigram of my name, so I did. This is also an excuse for me to test the new powers of transparency and pngs.

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Feb. 13th, 2012 @ 01:19 AM Reply

At 4 days ago, Spaghetti14 wrote: There was a thread in the art forum a week or two ago where a guy wanted an ambigram of his name. Someone else had fulfilled his request, but it made me want to do an ambigram of my name, so I did. This is also an excuse for me to test the new powers of transparency and pngs.

Okay, I should be done with narcissistic experimentation of making my name in different styles now. Just trying to test out different typography ideas, and my name is an easy word to do so with. Sorry, lol!

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Feb. 13th, 2012 @ 06:05 AM Reply

Made this for my school newspaper, they had an article about pinball and I was instructed to make a pinball machine. I'm tired now, heh. Shouldn't've put it off until the last minute!

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Feb. 20th, 2012 @ 02:37 AM Reply

At 6 days ago, Spaghetti14 wrote: Made this for my school newspaper, they had an article about pinball and I was instructed to make a pinball machine. I'm tired now, heh. Shouldn't've put it off until the last minute!

Let's give an update on this pinball machine (I put stuff inside the playing area), and then I have something very exciting to share in this thread :D

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Feb. 20th, 2012 @ 02:46 AM Reply

It's my comic jam entry for the Newgrounds Comic Jam 2!
I think it's pretty good for my first attempt at a comic, but I also think the flow is kind of awkward due to my lack of experience and short time frame. I discovered that I enjoy making comics!

• CJ2 - I Fell For You - Pt. 1
    CJ2 - I Fell For You - Pt. 1 by Spaghetti14

Made for the Newgrounds Comic Jam 2! The theme for the jam was rain. This is part 1 of 2, part 2 can be found here: http://www.newgrounds.com /art/view/spaghetti14/com ic-jam-2-rain-pt-2

Score
    / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+
  • CJ2 - I Fell For You - Pt. 2
    CJ2 - I Fell For You - Pt. 2 by Spaghetti14

Made for the Newgrounds Comic Jam 2! The theme for the jam was rain. This is part 2 of 2, part 1 can be found here: http://www.newgrounds.com /art/view/spaghetti14/com ic-jam-2-rain-pt-1

Score
    / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Feb. 27th, 2012 @ 12:43 AM Reply

Coloured version of the squid lineart I did for the doubles project. I loved the colours that AwesomeSaurus did on the original, of course, but I wanted a finished version that I could take credit for, so I made this!

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Feb. 27th, 2012 @ 12:47 AM Reply

Hey spags, just occurred to me that I hadn't posted in your thread. Even as someone who doesn't particularly like vector design, you've got some cool stuff here - specially like what you're going for with the pinball machine and the squid.

But those ambigrams are completely and delightfully fucking unreadable.

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Mar. 13th, 2012 @ 12:20 AM Reply

First attempt at a solid charcoal still life! Turned out butt-like, but at least I'm learning or something!

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Mar. 13th, 2012 @ 12:25 AM Reply

And here's a silly sculpture thing I made last minute for an art class. It's made out of cardboard tubes, cupcake holders, and postage stickers (which is technically illegal, I think.) BADASS, HUH?

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Mar. 13th, 2012 @ 12:35 AM Reply

At 9 minutes ago, Spaghetti14 wrote: And here's a silly sculpture thing I made last minute for an art class. It's made out of cardboard tubes, cupcake holders, and postage stickers (which is technically illegal, I think.) BADASS, HUH?

Worst caterpillar ever.

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 01:19 AM Reply

When the shirts come out that have the added bit, I'll put a pic in here, but here's part of a shirt design I did for my friends' band Fringe Shift! It incorporates the logo into the design of the gun and is a redesign of something I made like... 3 or 4 years ago! Exciting stuff.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Mar. 19th, 2012 @ 01:22 AM Reply

At 3 minutes ago, Spaghetti14 wrote: When the shirts come out that have the added bit, I'll put a pic in here, but here's part of a shirt design I did for my friends' band Fringe Shift! It incorporates the logo into the design of the gun and is a redesign of something I made like... 3 or 4 years ago! Exciting stuff.

I'd where a shirt with that on it...

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 02:57 AM Reply

At 2 days ago, Kinsei01 wrote: I'd where a shirt with that on it...

That's the idea! :D

Here's one of my first forays into digital painting, did it yesterday.

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:59 PM Reply

I've been having fun messin' around with Adobe's iPad app for painting. You can only change the colour, brush size, and opacity, so no different brushes or softnesses or anything, I like being limited. There are still layers though, which is convenient.

jagondudo
jagondudo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 01:22 AM Reply

At 3 hours ago, Spaghetti14 wrote:

:I like being limited.

That's some good practice!!

The contrast in the fish and bg colors really make this one stand out compared to the red face painting before it.

DweebyHawkeyes
DweebyHawkeyes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Mar. 24th, 2012 @ 01:35 AM Reply

At 3 hours ago, Spaghetti14 wrote: I've been having fun messin' around with Adobe's iPad app for painting.

This is amazing. Reminds me of a construction/textured paper collage. Like this, but not this.

Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Mar. 25th, 2012 @ 07:14 AM Reply

Excellent improvement contrast between your first and recent pages in this thread. Keep on going. This style aside I would like to see some more realistic rendering from you, perhaps anatomy practice or rendering realistic planes of objects?

Thoughts in chaos...
Illustration thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930
Animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1332069

BBS Signature
Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Mar. 29th, 2012 @ 03:38 AM Reply

At 3/24/12 01:22 AM, jagondudo wrote: That's some good practice!!
The contrast in the fish and bg colors really make this one stand out compared to the red face painting before it.

Thanks for the input!! I really like your work, so it feels special, haha.

At 3/24/12 01:35 AM, DweebyHawkeyes wrote: This is amazing. Reminds me of a construction/textured paper collage. Like this, but not this.

Thank you :D It is somewhat reminiscent of that, isn't it.

At 3/25/12 07:14 AM, Template88 wrote: Excellent improvement contrast between your first and recent pages in this thread. Keep on going. This style aside I would like to see some more realistic rendering from you, perhaps anatomy practice or rendering realistic planes of objects?

Thanks a lot, it is rather satisfying to see my improvement since then. And I know, so hard, I really need to do more anatomy/still life practice. Mostly, I've been avoiding it out of fear of failure, but if I don't start soon, it'll cripple me in the long run. Soon!

So this weekend, I'm going to Comicon, I'm SO excited! Gonna try to find some of my favourite artists there, meet 'em, get some signatures, all that good stuff. In any case, it'll be exciting to see them in person, whether I get the privilege of meeting them or not. I don't have any art scanned to bump at the moment, so this is more of just a progress post.

Also, I'm getting very very close to 3000 posts.. Better lay low for a while and think of some clever thing to post.
Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Apr. 4th, 2012 @ 05:52 AM Reply

So this weekend, I'm going to Comicon, I'm SO excited! Gonna try to find some of my favourite artists there, meet 'em, get some signatures, all that good stuff. In any case, it'll be exciting to see them in person, whether I get the privilege of meeting them or not.

And that's exactly what I did! Here are the signatures/doodles I got in my sketchbook! :D Nice people, all of 'em.
From left to right (in rows) the artists are : Bryan Lee O'Malley, The Oatmeal, Ben Templesmith, Aaron Diaz, Jhonen Vasquez, one of the guys from Buttersafe (I didn't catch which one), Ryan North, Meredith Gran, Zach Weiner, and Anthony Clark.

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Aug. 20th, 2012 @ 07:31 AM Reply

Here's a few things I've done in the past month or so. No, they are not very good, I didn't spend proper time on the two paintings (not that I'm that too well versed in that category of the arts, hehe), but this thread is about documenting progress, and I've been neglecting to do that, so here we are. In the following month, I'll be ending this thread and starting one that documents all my collegey progress as I begin my journey into higher education, or some such nonsense.

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spaghetti's Official Thread Of Art Sep. 20th, 2012 @ 06:59 PM Reply

Watched a pretty sick interview with Craig Bartlett, the creator of Hey Arnold!, and it inspired me to do some fanart.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9jYfmo9YVc
No, I didn't really take it in a unique direction, but it was good line control and watercolour practice, and I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. Last time I tried making direct drawings of cartoon characters was years ago and they turned out quite poorly as one would imagine, so the improvement is encouraging to me.

In other news, I told myself I would fill my artbook before college. College starts in 3 days, and I have 9 pages left to fill, so you should see a short burst of stuff in this thread as a lil' finale. I'mma make a new thread for my college artistic career and whatnot.