00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Crakie20 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

430,166 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2008-07-25 18:25:52

At 7/25/08 12:56 PM, Thestickcreator wrote: Woohoo! Dark knight has been released in the UK. Can't wait to go and see it.

Its incredible..

I saw it yesterday and it blew me away.
Go see it as soon as you can!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2008-07-26 09:27:06

At 7/25/08 06:25 PM, CTM222 wrote:
At 7/25/08 12:56 PM, Thestickcreator wrote: Woohoo! Dark knight has been released in the UK. Can't wait to go and see it.
Its incredible..

I saw it yesterday and it blew me away.
Go see it as soon as you can!

Im going on sunday.

Thestickcreator

Doctor who crew

Cinema club

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2008-07-26 09:40:10

So I see everybody is singing the praises of the Dark Knight, huh? I don't have the time to go see it right now (or the money -- cinemas in the UK are ridiculously expensive nowadays), but I want to see it, and I'm hoping that I can go soon without seeing / hearing any spoilers that will ruin the film for me.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2008-07-26 09:47:48

I'll see Dark Knight when I can pick it up cheap on DVD. I've not even seen Batman Begins all the way through (I caught a bit where he was a ninja and shit was on fire on TV a while back), so I don't see the point in rushing out to see this one.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2008-07-26 18:12:11

I watched Where Eagles Dare today, which I've had on DVD for ages and just never got around to watching, and it was the best film I've seen in ages. It's hard to sum it up accurately without spoiling it, so I'll keep it simple. Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood sneak into a Nazi occupied castle in the Alps where an American solider is being held. The action sequences are brilliant, and hold up surprisingly well for a film from 1968, and the twists, of which there are many, are good, and they're not obvious, so you'll not guess them before they happen.

5/5.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2008-07-26 18:34:23

At 7/26/08 09:40 AM, NEVR wrote: cinemas in the UK are ridiculously expensive nowadays

I know! Prices have gone up a good £3 per peson over the past few years.
Still, Dark Knight is well worth it!

And Master, they didnt play it like a sequel. It wont matter at all that you havent seen Begins.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2008-07-26 18:39:44

So I saw the shining last night, quite scary but what was good was that it wasn't to revealing of the horror. Like you don't actualy see the boy be attacked in the neck, this leaves questions open. I was a little confused at the very end when you see Johny in the old photo, I thought this must be a reference to him being the caretaker - but if you look at the date this is before the time when the man seen to be the cartaker shot himself, or was even born. Anyone else seen this and understand the ending?

Response to Cinema Club 2008-07-29 09:49:59

At 7/26/08 06:39 PM, sirtom93 wrote: Anyone else seen this and understand the ending?

I think it's all really surreal.... Ghosts might not have even existed they might have been figments of his imagination (There's always a mirror present whenever he talks to spirits). In one scene he goes into the bar and the new year's eve party is going on, isn't that the same party that is in the picture? It's a confusing movie. Kubrick's later work tends to be.

Metal Hell.

Pill pop a dope a well run general hash pump a gonna led.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2008-07-29 09:59:52

Favourite Stanley Kubrick movies in order everyone!
1. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
2. Paths of Glory (1957)
3. The Shining (1980)
4. A Clockwork Orange (1971)
5. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
6. Full Metal Jacket (1987)
7. The Killing (1956)
8. Spartacus (1960)
9. Barry Lyndon (1975)
10. Lolita (1962)

what do you guys thinK?

Thestickcreator

Doctor who crew

Cinema club

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2008-07-29 10:13:25

Recently seen....

The Dark Knight

near perfect in every way. Heath Ledgers perfomance is monumental and everyone else is superb too. The cinematography is visually great to watch and thanks to Christopher Nolan the film is horrific, cool and funny aswell thanks to some great dialogue with some real gems from brother Jonothan Nolan. It's such a shame that the cinemas lost a super actor in Heath Ledger who deserves an oscar for this performance. The opening bank heist scene is similar to Heat and is one of the greatest scenes of all action cinema in my opinion. The first 2/3 of the film is perfect but (warning! plot spoilers) Dents two-face really should be more angry with the Joker than all the cops who were TRYING TO SAVE Rachel. A disturbing ending though and overall a classic of our time thats lifted up even higher by a towering performance from Ledger.

Thestickcreator

Doctor who crew

Cinema club

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2008-07-31 10:43:57

At 7/29/08 09:59 AM, Thestickcreator wrote: what do you guys thinK?

How the fuck did you even get to see all his early shit like The Killing?

Metal Hell.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2008-07-31 11:08:49

I think it's all really surreal.... Ghosts might not have even existed they might have been figments of his imagination (There's always a mirror present whenever he talks to spirits). In one scene he goes into the bar and the new year's eve party is going on, isn't that the same party that is in the picture? It's a confusing movie. Kubrick's later work tends to be.

Well I think the idea is he is getting cabin fever and is seeing these things, your right about there being a mirror in all these kind of scenes, I like films that arent entirely obvious though.

Response to Cinema Club 2008-07-31 12:30:38

Recently watched Taxi Driver, No Country For Old Men and 10,000 BC.

No Country For Old Men was a fantastic film. Starts a little slow, but quickly picks up and never looks back from there. Feels like a modern western, that still retains elements of westerns set half a decade ago. The ending didn't seem to hit me like the rest of the film did, but still, highly reccomended, 8/10.

Taxi Driver, apart from Robert De Niro I found to be fairly boring. The plot took too long to kick in, and while I did find De Niro's speaking to be interesting, the film just didn't do it for me other than that. His first love interest proved to add next to nothing to the story, they should have just had him helping the 12 year old hooker throughout. I would have found that far more interesting, and they could have done so much more with it. 6/10.

10,000 BC I watched with little to no intentions as everyone seemed to be slating it. How wrong are they? Like No Country For Old Men, it starts of slow but as soon as the "treck" kicks in, I was hooked. I found the characters to be intriguing and interesting, as well as the main story and side stories throughout. Again, like No Country For Old Men, I'd highly reccomend seeing this. 8.5/10.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2008-07-31 16:41:42

Taxi Driver, apart from Robert De Niro I found to be fairly boring. The plot took too long to kick in, and while I did find De Niro's speaking to be interesting, the film just didn't do it for me other than that. His first love interest proved to add next to nothing to the story, they should have just had him helping the 12 year old hooker throughout. I would have found that far more interesting, and they could have done so much more with it. 6/10.

I totaly disagree, taxi Driver is one of the best films I have ever seen, it's the mans emotional and mental journey. His first love interest shows his breakdown within society and his struggle to regain it, the hooker he helped was the outcome of this struggle. The last scene when hes fine is also a particulary good one. You looking at me punk?

Response to Cinema Club 2008-08-02 11:36:39

At 7/31/08 12:30 PM, DannyIsOnFire wrote:
No Country For Old Men was a fantastic film. Starts a little slow, but quickly picks up and never looks back from there. Feels like a modern western, that still retains elements of westerns set half a decade ago. The ending didn't seem to hit me like the rest of the film did, but still, highly reccomended, 8/10.

Didn't deserved the best motion picture in year oscar did it?

Swenney Todd is soo much better...

Response to Cinema Club 2008-08-03 13:11:03

At 7/31/08 10:43 AM, PenisClown wrote:
At 7/29/08 09:59 AM, Thestickcreator wrote: what do you guys thinK?
How the fuck did you even get to see all his early shit like The Killing?

The killing's quite easy to find. Its the films before the killing that are impossible to find because Kubrick tried to buy them all so noone would watch them becoz he thought they were crp.

Thestickcreator

Doctor who crew

Cinema club

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2008-08-03 15:34:01

At 8/2/08 11:36 AM, illuminatuz wrote:
At 7/31/08 12:30 PM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: No Country For Old Men was a fantastic film. Starts a little slow, but quickly picks up and never looks back from there. Feels like a modern western, that still retains elements of westerns set half a decade ago. The ending didn't seem to hit me like the rest of the film did, but still, highly reccomended, 8/10.
Didn't deserved the best motion picture in year oscar did it?

Not at all. I've seen plenty of better films in 2007. NCFOM was a good film, but best motion picture is a damn big title. And one that it certainly didn't deserve.

Swenney Todd is soo much better...

Haven't seen that. Might buy it on DVD actually. Looks at least half decent.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2008-08-03 21:48:20

At 8/3/08 03:34 PM, DannyIsOnFire wrote:
At 8/2/08 11:36 AM, illuminatuz wrote: Swenney Todd is soo much better...
Haven't seen that. Might buy it on DVD actually. Looks at least half decent.

I don't like musicals, and yet this is among my favourites movies. Most people that watched that I know loved it.

and I'm no sorta of gotic poser or anything like that...

Response to Cinema Club 2008-08-08 11:39:28

Watched 3:10 To Yuma last night. Fantastic, easily a nine out of ten. Both Christian Bale and Robert De Niro gave fantastic performances, the plot was interesting, the action griping and dialogue spot on. Three high profile Westerns released lately, 3:10 To Yuma, No Country For Old Men and The Assanation Of Jesse James. Haven't seen the latter yet, but 3:10 To Yuma is my favorite so far.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2008-08-10 23:44:29

I saw Hellboy 2. It was lots of fun. There have been too many "popcorn flicks" like this out for the past few months, though. I guess the summer is the time for that. How many comic book adaptations have been released this summer? five? There was Hellboy, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Dark Night, and Wanted. Speaking of which, I have to freaking see the Dark Night.

I also saw Spiderman 3. It was fairly entertaining, but overall, not very good. I wouldn't recommend it, but I didn't hate it. And I saw Queen of the Damned. As expected, it sucked. My friend insisted that it was good and made me watch it. Also, the music sucked, which is another thing I already figured before watching.

At 8/8/08 11:39 AM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Watched 3:10 To Yuma last night. Fantastic, easily a nine out of ten. Both Christian Bale and Robert De Niro gave fantastic performances,

De Niro Wasn't in it, but yeah, I thought it was alright.

And you guys are insane. No Country For Old Men was amazing. It was intense, the acting was great, and the dialogue was superb. When I saw it in the movie theater, my heart was pounding. It definitely deserved its awards and Javier Bardem was more than deserving of his award for best supporting actor. He was fantastic.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2008-08-12 18:02:14

At 8/8/08 11:39 AM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Watched 3:10 To Yuma last night.

Got that recorded on Sky+. Not watched it yet.

I did watch Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels today, though, which was excellent. A bit confusing for the first 20 minutes or so when it's introducing about 30 characters who's stories will converge later on, but it was still brilliant.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2008-08-12 21:36:25

I saw the Dark Knight. I loved it.

At 8/12/08 06:02 PM, TheMaster wrote: I did watch Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels today, though, which was excellent.

That there's a funny movie.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2008-08-14 15:33:42

At 8/10/08 11:44 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 8/8/08 11:39 AM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Watched 3:10 To Yuma last night. Fantastic, easily a nine out of ten. Both Christian Bale and Robert De Niro gave fantastic performances,
De Niro Wasn't in it, but yeah, I thought it was alright.

I always get him and Russell Crowe mixed up.

Watched Son of Rambow last night, thought that was a damn good film as well.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2008-08-21 11:33:24

I watched this crazy anime last night called Mind Game. It's really good and it's pretty funny, too.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2008-08-21 15:07:31

So i´ve recently watched quite a few movies;

You don´t mess with the Zohan,
Deal,
Super Bad,
Hancock,
I am legend,
Oceans 13

All pretty good. I think the worst of the lot was probably Deal. And i also expected Hancock to be a bit better.

Response to Cinema Club 2008-09-04 18:05:38

recently watched:

Fukushû Suruwa Wareniari (Vengeance is Mine) (1979)

not bad.

Unagi (the Eel) (1997)

pretty good. The main character is quirky and interesting and there are a few darkly humorous moments.

Into the Wild (2007)

good movie. I was pleasantly surprised to see William Hurt and Marcia Gay Harden. I think Marcia is a very talented actress. She was great in Miller's Crossing.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2008-09-05 07:23:30

Saw Clerks. Fucking great. Especially the music, the music hasn't been that good since that movie.

Sussane by Weezer at the end of Mallrats is still my favourite Askewniverse musical moment. That song rocks.

But seriously, the Clerks music was great, especially the theme song and Berserker, and the Corrosion of Conformity song.

Metal Hell.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2008-09-05 13:24:50

Never Back Down was much better than all of the reviews made out. Maybe it's just because I'm a fan of the whole MMA thing. Watched Unbreakable the other night and thought that wasn't too bad. The ending was really unexpected. Juno was better than I expected, although still not great. Quirky is definatley the word to describe it. Watched Chaos which again I thought was better that critics described it. Definatley a fitting title. Oh, and revolver which coming from Guy Richie was a huge let down. Nothing close to how good Snatch and Lock Stock were.

Also watched Rec and The Scorpion (foreign films) the other day. Both fantastic and definatley worth a look if you don't mind subtitles.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2008-09-08 09:39:49

At 9/6/08 08:46 AM, darknessdweller wrote: Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius (saw it when I was 5)

What the fuck, are you 10?

Metal Hell.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2008-09-08 16:27:39

recently watched:

the Deer Hunter (1978)

That was a great movie. After seeing this, I'm surprised that Michael Cimino could have made a piece of crap like Year of the Dragon.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature