00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

aniMATING just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

429,108 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-25 16:38:46

At 6/24/11 10:01 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
At 6/24/11 04:06 PM, Decibel wrote: Oh My God, I have too much free time.

Today I Watched Couples Retreat, Blitz, The Hangover, Jackass 3.5, and for some reason I watched this really amazing documentary about Justice, it was awesome.
There are actually people who do that everyday, unless they eventually stopped. I'm not encouraging you to do it, of course.

I used to frequently watch 12 hours of TV per day. That was 4 DVDs worth, and would get me through a season in 2 days. Used to do this with everything I watched, now I've been struggling to get through a season of The Wire in a week. Not due to lack of time or anything, just can't seem to stay interested for that long any more. Did have a monster 5 episode 7 1/2 hour Mystery Science Theater 3000 session a fortnight or so back, though.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-27 06:25:20

At 6/25/11 04:19 PM, Auz wrote: This was to be expected I guess since it's a pointless sequel anyway.

Apparently, I heard from my friends, they're also planning to make a third one.

A prequel would be pretty cool though, You know,how they all met, etcetera...

Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-27 09:49:56

Just saw a bunch of movies while I was banned from the BBS they were all good here's a list.

Night Of The Living Dead

Young Frankenstein

John Q

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World

Percy Jackson & The Lightning Thief

Robin Hood

They all were great except percy jackson wasn't that good but not terrible.

Also saw part of Inception and Darkman.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-27 19:53:14

At 6/25/11 04:38 PM, TheMaster wrote: now I've been struggling to get through a season of The Wire in a week. Not due to lack of time or anything, just can't seem to stay interested for that long any more.

Dude, if I could do that with any series, it would probably be the Wire. That show is so great.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-28 06:47:00

I just read that Tom Hanks has confirmed towards the BBC that Toy Story 4 is in the making.

What the hell is up with animation studios milking their franchises so badly lately? I know Toy Story 3 was a very good film and a huge commercial success, but the series can most likely only go straight downhill from here on. Toy Story 3 gave a perfect ending to the series and now they're just going to ruin that by making some pointless sequel.

I know I shouldn't be complaining yet, because nothing is known about it yet. But I just don't feel good about this.

At 6/27/11 06:25 AM, Decibel wrote:
At 6/25/11 04:19 PM, Auz wrote: This was to be expected I guess since it's a pointless sequel anyway.
Apparently, I heard from my friends, they're also planning to make a third one.

Well it already grossed $244,000,000+ so I guess another sequel wouldn't be unlikely.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-28 11:27:06

At 6/28/11 06:47 AM, Auz wrote: I know I shouldn't be complaining yet, because nothing is known about it yet. But I just don't feel good about this.

This is what I expected from Disney to do, is to try to milk their franchises for all it's worth. They did the same thing with the Lion King, and the Pirates of the Carribean series, I'm was hoping {and still holding out hope} that Toy Story does not follow in a similar path to those other 2. I mean, what else could those toys do, now that they have done everything in the last 3 movies already?

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-29 16:47:52

I watched JFK today. Damn, it was impressive. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it was just masterfully made in general. Great performances from great actors, great directing, great editing, great cinematography. Should have won Best Picture and Best Director instead of Silence of the Lambs.

Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-29 22:57:37

At 6/28/11 06:47 AM, Auz wrote: I just read that Tom Hanks has confirmed towards the BBC that Toy Story 4 is in the making.

I love Pixar and they've had an incredible track record with their films, but if they make this, I will abandon them. If they come out with a 4th Toy Story movie, I swear on my first born child's life that I will never watch it.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-07-03 19:32:17

I'm really wanting to go see The Tree Of Life, but at least for the first week it's showing at my regular cinema I can't make any of the screenings (they're all after 8PM, and I'd miss the last train home). The only screenings announced for it's second week are the Bringing In Baby (parents with babies only) and the Silver Screen (60+ only) showings.

Really hope they announce a few more. They're heavily promoting it, so they can't just be doing this handful of shows.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-07-04 09:41:25

At 6/24/11 02:59 AM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote:
At 6/24/11 02:56 AM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: I don't care what anyone says, I'm going to see Cars. I refuse to accept that Pixar can make a bad film. MY MIND REJECTS IT.

Cars 2 actually wasn't a bad film. It wasn't perfect or even within their top ten films, but I say that it was decent. Better than a lot of animated shit that other companies have put out (Looking at you, Shrek 4). It probably gets more shit than it deserves because it didn't meet the normal level of Pixar Godliness.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-07-04 10:27:03

At 7/3/11 08:53 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: The Tree of Life is an art film and it's much different than major Hollywood films.

Aye, but is it an art film as in there's no explosions or car chases, or is it an art film where nothing happens for 2 1/2 hours like 2001? I don't mind if the plot is presenting weirdly, as long as there's actually one there.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-07-04 16:41:24

At 7/4/11 04:10 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: This is probably why there is the beginning scene of the dinosaurs

There's dinosaurs in it?

I'm sold.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-07-04 17:54:40

Last Woody Allen movie was great. Go watch it !!!

Response to Cinema Club 2011-07-06 17:48:24

I went to see a pre-premiere of Arrietty today. A film by Hayao Miyazaki inspired by the tale The Borrowers.

Once again, another great animation film by this director in my opinion. I can't tell whether it's a good adaption of the book, cause I haven't read it, but I liked the story. Also, what I specifically noticed was how wonderful the artwork was. Some shots were simply beautiful. The picture below is just one example, but there were even better shots throughout the film of which I unfortunately can not find a picture. I still prefer this kind of handmade art over computer animation any day. It just looks so much warmer and deeper.

I'd agree that it's not as good as Spirited Away and Howls Moving Castle and that I wouldn't bet my money on this film winning the oscar for best animation film. But I think it's a good animation film nonetheless. Well worth seeing.

Cinema Club

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-07-09 08:06:07

Watched Unforgiven the other night. Good film, Eastwood was excellent as usual but Gene Hackman stole the show. I was literally mesmerized while watching his character.

My DVD collection has just hit 470 with about 70 still unwatched. Going to start making my way through them, despite them being the ones I've put off watching for some time due to lack of interest. Hopefully I'll discover a few gems littered in them.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-07-09 11:22:11

At 7/9/11 08:06 AM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: My DVD collection has just hit 470 with about 70 still unwatched.

Jesus, I though I was bad with 20-30 unwatched. I've stopped buying new stuff until I've worked through what I've got. I know for a fact if I had 70 unwatched I'd never get around to seeing them. Be like my Steam games where I've got like 100+ unplayed from sales, and know I'm never going to touch them.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-07-09 16:06:11

At 7/9/11 02:46 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: Right now, I have about a total of 35 DVDs and Blu-rays. Here's some food for thought: I only buy films I know I'm gonna watch again and again. I've almost never done a blind buy. There's no point to buying films and whatnot for yourself that you're probably never gonna watch again. It's a waste of money. This is another similar opinion.

See for me though it's usually the easiest way for me to see something. My internet is awful, so while downloading 3-4 episodes of TV per week as the shows air is fine, downloading full series that have finished is a pain, and I'm more than willing to drop the cash on them if it means getting them faster.

With films, I'd generally rather watch them at home that at the cinema anyway, so unless it's something I'm desperate to see I just wait for the Blu-ray or DVD, which is often cheaper than the cinema anyway, since I'm looking at a £6-£8 ticket + £5 travel.

So whatever. I can definitely understand why people don't buy them, but for me it's definitely worth the cash.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-07-09 16:37:00

At 7/9/11 02:46 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: Right now, I have about a total of 35 DVDs and Blu-rays. Here's some food for thought: I only buy films I know I'm gonna watch again and again. I've almost never done a blind buy. There's no point to buying films and whatnot for yourself that you're probably never gonna watch again. It's a waste of money. This is another similar opinion.

Heh, I do a blind guy pretty often. I do always check the ratings first and want to feel safe about it, but yes... occasionally you do end up with a film you probably aren't ever going to watch again. But I don't mind, I like DVDs as a decoration of my living room as well.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-07-09 19:31:27

At 7/9/11 06:49 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
At 7/9/11 04:06 PM, TheMaster wrote: See for me though it's usually the easiest way for me to see something...
Have you tried a site like LOVEFiLM where you can rent films and whatnot by mail? It's probably a money saver, unless you really do generally watch what you buy again and again.

If I'm reading it right, it looks like you can only have a maximum of 3 discs out at a time, which would be fine for films, but awkward for TV, which I watch way more of. I usually like to go through a season within a week at the most, and you're looking 7-8 discs for an 22-24 episode season, so that'd be a pain.

Have you used it for TV before? Because if they actually do send out whole seasons, this would save me a bit of money.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-07-09 23:44:49

Hey, this probably the best place to ask this, I think.

I'm trying to remember the name a movie from when I was younger, it was rather melancholy and sad. It revolved around a fat kid you starts out as a bully in school, but he actually isn't. The movie starts out with the fat kid video tapping something on a camera. The main charter is a small kid, and his friend is a girl with white hair. I think the movie had the name 'creek' in it, but I'm not sure about that. Thanks if anyone helps.

To fit in...

Some favorite movies:

The shinning
A clockwork orange
Requiem for a Dream
Spirited away
Various of the earlier more deep Pokemon movies
Shawshank Redemption
Gandhi
Patton
Animal House
Deer Hunter

Various others I won't bother mentioning. (Too many)

Favorite type of movies are sad-depressing-melancholy type movies (With boobs). Suggestions?

Valar Morghulis []

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-07-10 05:53:06

At 7/9/11 11:44 PM, froggerfreak wrote: Favorite type of movies are sad-depressing-melancholy type movies (With boobs). Suggestions?

Try The Wall. I believe it does have some boobs in it somewhere and it's pretty sad-depressing-melancholy type-ish alright.

Well try it unless you really hate Pink Floyd music.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-07-10 06:51:39

Stayed in instead of going out drinking last night and so decided to start making my way through those seventy films. Started with Mystic River which was great. The three main actors (Sean Penn, Tim Robbins and Kevin Bacon) where all extremely believable and Tim Robbins in particular was fantastic. The twist at the end was also unexpected.

However, one criticism. I thought the film should have ended roughly ten minutes before it did. For those who've seen it, there's a scene where Penn and Bacon are talking and then Penn walks away with his back to the camera swigging whiskey. Personally I thought that was the ideal ending point and the next ten minutes where unnecessary and took away from everything I'd just watched.

Small gripe though, and still a film worth watching. Really getting into Eastwood lately, whether it's directing or acting. The man seems to be able to do no wrong.

Finally, just went on Amazon and got The Virgin Suicides on the cheap. Read a bit about it online and it seems like a really interesting film. Looking forward to it arriving.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-07-11 09:07:28

I decided to get a membership card today at the cinema.

It gives me unlimited access to every film and costs me 18 euros / months meaning I have to go to about three films to get profit from it. I have to have the subscription for at least four months before I can cancel it, but I think it'll be worth it and I got some money to spare right now. Furthermore, it's summer holiday so I'll have plenty of time to visit the cinema.

I already got about six films I want to see in the next two weeks, so it's probably a good investment :)

At 7/10/11 06:51 AM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Really getting into Eastwood lately, whether it's directing or acting. The man seems to be able to do no wrong.

Well not all of his films are good, but most have something speaking for them.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-07-11 10:45:31

At 7/11/11 09:07 AM, Auz wrote: I decided to get a membership card today at the cinema.

It gives me unlimited access to every film and costs me 18 euros / months meaning I have to go to about three films to get profit from it.

That's awesome. The card mine does is £22 per year, but only gets you £1 off each ticket. You do get 2 free tickets when you sign up, but you'd still have to go to loads of films to make any real saving.

You also get a 10% discount in the bar, cafe and off food to take into the screenings, but I don't use any of that so it doesn't apply to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-07-11 11:23:24

At 7/11/11 10:45 AM, TheMaster wrote:
At 7/11/11 09:07 AM, Auz wrote: I decided to get a membership card today at the cinema.

It gives me unlimited access to every film and costs me 18 euros / months meaning I have to go to about three films to get profit from it.
That's awesome. The card mine does is £22 per year, but only gets you £1 off each ticket. You do get 2 free tickets when you sign up, but you'd still have to go to loads of films to make any real saving.

You also get a 10% discount in the bar, cafe and off food to take into the screenings, but I don't use any of that so it doesn't apply to me.

Oh of course I meant three films per month to get profit. I'd have to go to more films than you do in a year (36), but I think mine's a better deal in the end (ignoring the amount of quality films that might come out). I'd save a lot more as I go to more films and it really doesn't matter what films I go to anymore. I can just walk out if it's crap and lose nothing :)

And mine gives 10 percent off the bar etc. too, but the bar is quite expensive even with that discount. I'm better off going to the nearby supermarket first and smuggling the food in if I want something to chew on.

Only real downside for my card is that for 3D films I still have to pay 1.50. They'll come up with a gold card soon that grants free access to those too, but that'd be 6-7 euros / month extra and I highly doubt I'll visit five 3D films per month.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-07-11 12:16:09

Still making my way through those seventy DVD's (expect a lot of these posts over the next few months).

Last night I watched Fifty Dead Men Walking. Really interesting film based on a true story about a member of the IRA turned confidant and his bid to save lives passing on information. It took me a while to get into but when I did I was pretty hooked. Jim Sturgess was really believable as the informant and Ben Kingsley put in a good show as his superior.

The accent's took a little getting used to (I have an Irish mate and even after two years of knowing him, if he talks too fast it a sentence quickly becomes one word) but other than that it was hard to fault.

Worth checking out, regardless of whether you have an interest in the subject or not.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-07-11 16:49:29

At 7/11/11 04:32 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: Oldboy remake will be a Spike Lee Joint.

"talk of an Americanization has circulated"

To be honest, I can't say I'm all that thrilled about this. I don't think Oldboy is a film that needs to be 'remade' already and I highly doubt this will do the original much justice. Spike Lee isn't that amazing as a director as far as I can see and if it all has to depend on a scriptwriter who has a lousy six, mediocre films under his belt I'm not having high expectations for this project.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-07-11 16:53:24

At 7/11/11 04:32 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: Oldboy remake will be a Spike Lee Joint.

I'll watch it, most likely not enjoy it, but I will watch it simply for the reverence I have for the original.

On a separate tangent

I don't see the appeal of Emma Stone, I mean, she's in all these shitty romantic comedies spewing out jokes that are tailor made to tickle the humor of someone who just learned what sarcasm is. Despite this she's become this big star and suddenly she's 'hilarious' which I just don't see.

Easy A was easily one of the stupidest, least entertaining comedies i've had to sit through, and I have done so multiple times. It isn't funny, Emma Stone isn't funny in it, and yet it gets all kinds of positive regard from sources I would usually expect better of.

I hope I am not the only one who thinks this.

Response to Cinema Club 2011-07-12 02:43:32

Oh hai.

Cinema Club

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-07-12 10:42:15

At 7/11/11 05:04 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
At 7/11/11 04:49 PM, Auz wrote: "talk of an Americanization has circulated"

To be honest, I can't say I'm all that thrilled about this. I don't think Oldboy is a film that needs to be 'remade' already and I highly doubt this will do the original much justice. Spike Lee isn't that amazing as a director as far as I can see and if it all has to depend on a scriptwriter who has a lousy six, mediocre films under his belt I'm not having high expectations for this project.
I'm kind of looking forward to it, though I still haven't seen the original. I was suppose to see it in a theatre, but I was late, so I ended up watching something else.

Definitely put it on your watchlist. It's an awesome film.

I've only seen one of Lee's films, which is Do the Right Thing and it's enjoyable. I disagree with you that Thor, I Am Legend, and The Cell are mediocre films. They're certainly not great, but they're also enjoyable.

Well I've seen I Am Legend in the theatre, and although it wasn't bad, it's certainly nothing too good either in my opinion. I guess some of his other films are pretty good, but I don't see any of them getting ratings which are all that high.

It's just that the article says it all has to come down to the scriptwriter on this one and when I look at the scriptwriter's career I see nothing impressive.

At 7/12/11 02:43 AM, Makeshift wrote: Oh hai.

Yeah I saw that poster in a thread this morning. Thought it was a pretty lame poster actually, since it doesn't really reveal anything at all. I wouldn't even know it was a Batman poster if it wasn't written at the bottom.

BBS Signature